GUILTY ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell *Arrests* #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prior seems smart to me, doing what attorneys do. Staying as long as he could use up any monies Chad had. Then making sure Chad gets two DP attorneys.
Prior gets to walk away. The DP attorneys get to possibly reduce the penalty to life without parole. In worst case scenario, Chad going to death row is delayed.
And finally, Prior can sell Chads house. The house where Tammy and murdered.

ETA: Prior should burn it to the ground. Then sell the land.
JP still worked for free for a year (including during Lori's trial). That's not smart, IMO. He gambled and he lost.

iMO

It seems JP took on this case from the very beginning as a gamble. He knew as did everyone else that at some point his client would run out of money, and be declared indigent. Apparently his initial gamble was that when this happened he would be paid by the state once that happened.

He doubled down on this when the state announced the intent to seek the death penalty, and he stayed on the case. Either he thought that if he found his own death penalty, qualified, co-counsel that he could be paid by the state as the second lawyer on the case or that he would delegate all the work to the death penalty qualified co-counsel anyway. Or he thought that he would be successful in his efforts to have the death penalty removed. It was a gamble either way.

He failed in both situations. he was unable to get the death penalty removed and unable to get his choice of co-counsel death penalty qualified. He burned through billable hours and travel expenses attending much of LVD’s trial that no doubt consumed much of the remaining funds he had been paid by CD. And now, just before the trial begins, he wants to walk away from the case without paying his gambling debt.

Perhaps the solution is for CD to sue JP for malpractice. CD could use the proceeds to engage his own death, penalty, qualified attorneys As he would no longer be indigent. It would not avoid the delay in the trial, but nothing can do that now and at least it would save the ID taxpayers, the burden of the cost of these attorneys.
JP was not getting paid (by Chad) while sitting in the courtroom at Lori's trial. Chad ran out of funds months earlier.

JP was not getting paid (by Chad) while sitting in the courtroom at Lori's trial. Chad ran out of funds months earlier.
I know that Chad was declared indigent by the court in January 2023. However, I don’t think we know what he had pre-paid JP or how long that money lasted. JP’s filing does not say he’s been working for a year without pay and only says that requiring him to stay on the case would require him to work more than four months without pay Which seems to be a reference to the remaining time before an April trial, and during the trial. Whatever the amount of cash or interest in the house that Chad pre-paid to JP appears to me to have run out more recently than the January date when Chad was declared indigent or JP probably would’ve referenced the amount of time he had already worked without compensation in this case. So I’m not sure that he did actually sit all those days in Lori’s trial Without compensation. But I don’t think I paid much attention to the specifics of what was said about any of that at the time Chad was declared indigent so perhaps I am wrong in my conclusion about JP being compensated for his time during Lori’s trial.

Prior seems smart to me, doing what attorneys do. Staying as long as he could use up any monies Chad had. Then making sure Chad gets two DP attorneys.
Prior gets to walk away. The DP attorneys get to possibly reduce the penalty to life without parole. In worst case scenario, Chad going to death row is delayed.

Can JP sell the property? I seem to recall something about the property being put in the names of John Prior and Tammie DayBell meeting Chad had only conveyed his interest in the house to John Prior and the remaining interest would be for Tammy‘s estate - presumably the children, and didn’t one of the Daybell children move into the home? I suppose he could force the sale and split the proceeds with her children or perhaps the daughter, who moved in might buy JP’s interest out so she can stay in the home.

Can JP sell the property? I seem to recall something about the property being put in the names of John Prior and Tammie DayBell meeting Chad had only conveyed his interest in the house to John Prior and the remaining interest would be for Tammy‘s estate - presumably the children, and didn’t one of the Daybell children move into the home? I suppose he could force the sale and split the proceeds with her children or perhaps the daughter, who moved in might buy JP’s interest out so she can stay in the home.
I don’t know. But I doubt JP would take a case without one hundred percent of that home guaranteed. He certainly didn’t believe in Chad’s innocence.

If Chad gave over his house to JP, when would he be declared indigent? When the cost of JP's services exceeded the value of the house? Chad was probably also paying him with Tammy's life insurance money. Which ran out first?

Lori Hellis thinks that the judge will have no choice but release JP and delay Chad's trial.

ETA: LH also speculates that Chad had been offered a deal by the prosecution (who want to avoid the cost of another trial) to take the DP off the table in exchange for confession and 3 LWOP sentences, but he refused, because he thinks he is less culpable than Lori. I'm not sure if the victims' families would be happy about such a deal.

Last edited:

rsbm bbm

The whole area should be a memorial park, a beautiful place to honor Tammy, Tylee, JJ, and yes Charles Vallow & Joe Ryan!

Including a duck pond imho.

jmho ymmv lrr

Nevertheless, killing Charles was just as much part of their plan as killing Tammy.
Personally, yes, I believe CD was very much involved in CV's murder. BUT I think the state of AZ knows that's going to be tougher to prove, considering CD was two states away at the time, and one could possibly argue that he didn't realize at that point that LVD was speaking about a physical destruction/death of [the entity that had supposedly taken over] CV, rather than just a spiritual one.

I think the state of AZ is going to wait to see how LVD's next trial turns out and whether CD gets the death penalty in ID.

Perhaps Prior could negotiate for a deal like K. Nurmi was given when he was ordered by the Judge to remain on the Jodi Arias case after being denied on his motion to leave.

His hourly rate was boosted from $250.00 to $350.00. IIRC, he made over $200,000.00 extra from it. o_O

Personally, yes, I believe CD was very much involved in CV's murder. BUT I think the state of AZ knows that's going to be tougher to prove, considering CD was two states away at the time, and one could possibly argue that he didn't realize at that point that LVD was speaking about a physical destruction/death of [the entity that had supposedly taken over] CV, rather than just a spiritual one.

I think the state of AZ is going to wait to see how LVD's next trial turns out and whether CD gets the death penalty in ID.
When Lori told Chad that Charles changed the beneficiary on his life insurance policy, Chad remarked: "It will be interesting if it got changed after he (Charles) had two bullets in his chest." In another text Lori speculated that "It was Ned before we got rid of him". Chad was well informed about the circumstances of Charles' murder. At the same time he emphasized how it was important to "bring down" Brandon. Of course that's how they planned to recoup the loss.

The biggest win prior can hope for is getting DP off the table, and if the the State wishes to avoid delaying the trial, Prior's motion could be a gambit to have the state remove the possibility, removing the need for DP qualified council. Then, he could negotiate cost saving confessions later. From a stronger position.

I hate to admit this, but I do not see how Prior's client can do anything but benefit from this motion.

Yuck, though. I need brain bleach.

Im going to visualize Laughing's lovely duck pond park to clean my head.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back