ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan, Tammy Daybell, Charles Vallow *Arrests* #73

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evil spirits (but NOT zombies, murdering people to release spirits, or multiple lives) are certainly in the Bible, and LDS claims to follow the Bible PLUS more.

However, if I understand LDS thinking correctly, the issue that is allowing this sort of teaching to arise and be readily accepted by many in the LDS is one of "revelation" and the way it is seen. (If I am at all misstating LDS ideas, my apologies, but this is my understanding.)

Historical Christianity has generally seen "revelation" as culminating in Jesus, who as God had an ability to reveal God to us in a way that can never be superseded, and God's Scripture with its authority ended with Jesus and those in the 1st century who knew Him and were inspired by God to share with us (ie, the New Testament). We push back against anyone who would say they have words that are more important than what was shared by Jesus and those who knew Him, or that adds to or contradicts.

In contrast, LDS is both based on and endorses the idea of continuing or new revelation of equal authority. That was the basis for Joseph Smith's ideas, that he had something new that was of equal authority to the Bible or even greater. And others have followed him in that same spirit. Now it's Chad Daybell, with something new that is of equal authority or greater for LDS to follow.

So to them, the lack of prior mention isn't an issue, and may even be self-validating, since it is previously unheard and thus could be "new revelation."
I have seen critics claim that Chad only took what was already in the LDS scripture. As far as I can see, the zombie concept (releasing the spirit by killing the body) wasn't there. It doesn't matter if they are called zombies or something else - it's the killing part that is problematic. Without the murders, Chad's group would still be a cult, an offshoot of the main religion, but nobody would be incarcerated and put on trial without breaking the law.

ETA: As far as revelations, aren't they supposed to be personal and not shared with others or used to instruct/control others?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member