Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Tammy Daybell, 49, Sept & Oct 2019 *Arrests* #59

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope my post did not come off as believing she is “faking” it or to doubt the MH professionals who evaluated her. Rather, I was questioning the timeline of her competency. When did her ability to participate in her own defense truly come into question? I know she was evaluated fairly recently, but is this an acute event or something more long term?

As a MH professional myself, I have seen many patients who attempt to abuse the MH system for personal gain and malingering is common. I think it is reasonable to ask questions about the information we don’t have access to related to LV without questioning the professionals, given her background. I certainly stand by the decisions of all those who have/will evaluate Lori! If there is any shred of concern about her competency it is best for her to be evaluated and treated.

Someone upthread had requested Idaho’s laws on involuntary treatment (from the Idaho Dept. of Corrections): http://forms.idoc.idaho.gov/WebLink/0/edoc/283162/Involuntary Medication and Treatment.pdf
“Basis for Non-emergency Involuntary Medication
An offender may be subject to non-emergency involuntary medication but only if the Involuntary Medication Hearing Committee (IMHC) holds an involuntary medication hearing, and only if the IMHC finds that the offender:
• Suffers from a ‘mental disorder’ and is gravely disabled; and/or
• Suffers from a mental disorder and poses a likelihood of causing serious harm to
himself, others, or their property.

Other safeguards that the IMHC will consider when determining whether or not an offender may be subject to non-emergency involuntary medication are when:
• A psychiatrist determined that the offender should be medicated;
• The offender did not consent to the medication after being given the opportunity to
do so;
• All available less restrictive options were exhausted, were shown to be ineffective, or were likely to not be effective;
• The psychiatrist determined that the potential benefits for the proposed medication outweighed the risks associated with it; and
• A less restrictive means of non-emergency treatment was attempted and exhausted, was not successful, was unlikely to succeed, and if true, specifically what means were attempted or exhausted, and what was the basis for concluding that the treatment did not succeed or was unlikely to succeed.”

Lastly, I hope someone can clarify for me, do we know why LV’s proceedings had previously been placed on hold? TYIA!

They were placed on hold when the issue of her competency was brought up.

I find it insulting to everyone involved to even hint at her possibly faking it. We can’t sit on our high horse and say that mental health is important and then claim “she’s faking it” when someone capable of what Lori did is found not competent. We can’t have both.

I chose to believe in the professionals, who know better than I do. If they say she’s not competent then she isn’t. She will eventually be competent again, and justice will be served. I understand the frustration but it is what it is.
Of course mental health is important. It is important for everyone in society. But in the case of Lori Daybell, when you consider all of the crimes she is accused of, and the pain she has caused, it makes one suspicious of her claims to be mentally ill. JMO

I find it insulting to everyone involved to even hint at her possibly faking it. We can’t sit on our high horse and say that mental health is important and then claim “she’s faking it” when someone capable of what Lori did is found not competent. We can’t have both.

I chose to believe in the professionals, who know better than I do. If they say she’s not competent then she isn’t. She will eventually be competent again, and justice will be served. I understand the frustration but it is what it is.
What scares me she will continually be deemed incompetent by the mental health professionals. I truly hope she stands trial and is convicted of murder. She seems to believe her looks will continue get her what she wants in life. LE was notified by CV how she threatened his life and she was unstable , unfortunately she talked her way out being deemed dangerous.

I agree. CD is there dad, even if he is a murderer. They knew the better side of him (I hope). They are quiet, have not said much if anything, are respectful of the Court….nothing more they are given their dad moral support….saying maybe, you did wrong but we do live you. It does not mean they all or any agree with him or what he did.

I don’t know…we cannot sleuth.
Another poster has confirmed that both of Lori's parents and her sister Summer are alive to visit her, as is her niece Melanie.

What scares me she will continually be deemed incompetent by mental health professionals. I truly hope she stands trial and convicted of murder. She seems to believe her looks will continue get her what she wants in life. LE was notified by CV how she threatened his life and she was unstable , unfortunately she talked her way out being deemed dangerous.
I have the same fear that she will be continually be found incompetent. Jmo

Of course mental health is important. It is important for everyone in society. But in the case of Lori Daybell, when you consider all of the crimes she is accused of, and the pain she has caused, it makes one suspicious of her claims to be mentally ill. JMO

We don’t know if she is claiming to be mentally ill. She could just be acting and speaking as she did before her arrest and this would lead anyone to observe that she is delusional, at best.

I understand and can respect what you're saying. I obviously have no idea what they're going through and what's going on in their mind. However, I am not wired like that. I've cut off much of a side of my family for FAR less than being accused of murdering children and my mother so I have a hard time grasping that.
The balance between memories of your parent being a good parent/person combined with being faced with the horrors they did can be confusing to say the least.

I sincerely hope justice can bring peace to all those that need it.

All jmo moo imo

The balance between memories of your parent being a good parent/person combined with being faced with the horrors they did can be confusing to say the least.

I sincerely hope justice can bring peace to all those that need it.

All jmo moo imo
I hope so too. So many dead people, and two innocent children. So much collateral damage of all involved it is almost hard to wrap your head around from the outside looking in...hard to imagine being in the middle of it.

I hope my post did not come off as believing she is “faking” it or to doubt the MH professionals who evaluated her. Rather, I was questioning the timeline of her competency. When did her ability to participate in her own defense truly come into question? I know she was evaluated fairly recently, but is this an acute event or something more long term?

As a MH professional myself, I have seen many patients who attempt to abuse the MH system for personal gain and malingering is common. I think it is reasonable to ask questions about the information we don’t have access to related to LV without questioning the professionals, given her background. I certainly stand by the decisions of all those who have/will evaluate Lori! If there is any shred of concern about her competency it is best for her to be evaluated and treated.

Someone upthread had requested Idaho’s laws on involuntary treatment (from the Idaho Dept. of Corrections): http://forms.idoc.idaho.gov/WebLink/0/edoc/283162/Involuntary Medication and Treatment.pdf
“Basis for Non-emergency Involuntary Medication
An offender may be subject to non-emergency involuntary medication but only if the Involuntary Medication Hearing Committee (IMHC) holds an involuntary medication hearing, and only if the IMHC finds that the offender:
• Suffers from a ‘mental disorder’ and is gravely disabled; and/or
• Suffers from a mental disorder and poses a likelihood of causing serious harm to
himself, others, or their property.

Other safeguards that the IMHC will consider when determining whether or not an offender may be subject to non-emergency involuntary medication are when:
• A psychiatrist determined that the offender should be medicated;
• The offender did not consent to the medication after being given the opportunity to
do so;
• All available less restrictive options were exhausted, were shown to be ineffective, or were likely to not be effective;
• The psychiatrist determined that the potential benefits for the proposed medication outweighed the risks associated with it; and
• A less restrictive means of non-emergency treatment was attempted and exhausted, was not successful, was unlikely to succeed, and if true, specifically what means were attempted or exhausted, and what was the basis for concluding that the treatment did not succeed or was unlikely to succeed.”

Lastly, I hope someone can clarify for me, do we know why LV’s proceedings had previously been placed on hold? TYIA!

BBM -Thank you for posting the link & the Idaho law on involuntary treatment from Dept of Corrections. It sounds as if LVD will be offered treatment and/or medication. She probably qualifies for the "gravely disabled" definition just by not being found competent to stand trial. She will be given opportunities to comply with treatment recommendations and encouraged to meet her treatment goals. All "least restrictive" alternatives must be explored before petitioning the court for an IMHC. It may very well take that level of intervention for her but I would suspect she becomes "competent" for court purposes within a fairly short period of time afterward. MOO

I can totally believe someone else caused AC's death by tampering with his medications or giving him something to cause death.

Committing suicide that way seems unlikely though. It's slow, uncertain, painful, and generally not something most people would want to put themselves through. The man had guns and knew how to use them. That would seem much more likely if he was going to end it all.

Agree someone could have "helped" contribute to his death.

I think using a gun though would defeat his (their) purpose of trying to make it look " natural" causes as COD.

suicide by gun would definitely not be considered "natural" and that seems to be their MO, at least with TD also as that was first determined to be her COD.

Until her body was exhumed, that is.
And the very next day, AxC is dead.

We don’t know if she is claiming to be mentally ill. She could just be acting and speaking as she did before her arrest and this would lead anyone to observe that she is delusional, at best.
Ok, well her attorney believes she is not competent to stand trial. I don’t know what she is claiming. Before her arrest she was living the good life in Hawaii knowing her children were dead.

As I said before, the closest other criminal who was evaluated for "Incompetence" was Brian David Mitchell, also LDS, on the continuum of "out there". He denied any type of treatment. He was evaluated, and while even his psychiatrist agreed he was "delusional", he was still deemed competent for the trial of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart.

There is another case, I have been following for over a decade, Nubia Barahona, murdered by Jorge Barahona. This guy has been evaluated, changed attorneys several times, he has been in jail since February, 2011, and there still isn't a trial date set! (AFAIK). This is a death penalty case.

I will not presume to make any type of assumptions regarding LVD, or any other person who is being evaluated for competence. But, I have worked in Criminal Justice, and as most people who have worked in this field, have been amazed by the level of Criminal Thinking that occurs with this population. They have lived their lives, lying and manipulating people. It is mind boggling. Their full aray of skills come out when they are at the precipice. It is an Oscar worthy performance. Coincidentally, when there is no other way out of the box they are finally in, due to their own behavior.

Ok, well her attorney believes she is not competent to stand trial. I don’t know what she is claiming. Before her arrest she was living the good life in Hawaii knowing her children were dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!