ID ID - Lonnie Jones, 13, Orofino, September 1951

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you were 14 in '74 we must be exactly the same age because so was I! August 22nd 1960 is my birthday.
But yes the way they describe Lonnie's state of mind when they picked him up certainly makes one wonder doesnt it?

Just added it up, I was 15, my birth date is 8th June '59

Re. My encounter, IIRC after I 'escaped' and was clear of the situation about 100yds away was a local veg market packed with customers so I was safe there and the relief was explosive.
I was with my friend and we didn't tell a soul, we talked about it between us but never said a word to anyone else. I caught up with my mate a couple of years ago and she still hasn't told anybody.

I need to find out who if anyone is in charge 'officially' of this case. I beleive the county only has one or two actual detectives...one is a woman that I know slightly I think during my time off Ill se if shell talk to me.
But yeah I know what you mean Peter,in the other main case ive been involved in that involves about four different juridictions it varies.
One has a very highly motivated detective a woman who not only works it on the clock but her own time as well and is approachable and even though it a 30 year old case she pursues it like it happened yesterday while another ( where the majority of the murders occured) kind of seems to resent anyone who rocks the boat because they just want it to go away.
I notice you mention Galveston and Dean Corll in your posts 'The Houston Mass Murders' I think is one of the more facinating yet under -investigated crimes of the 20th century. I started a thread about it but it has motivated only spotty interest.

It's a little off-topic, but I have a little about Corll on our (my wife's and mine) website. Forum rules don't allow to link the addy, but if you google my name, you will find it anyway.

Peter

Re. My encounter, IIRC after I 'escaped' and was clear of the situation about 100yds away was a local veg market packed with customers so I was safe there and the relief was explosive.
I was with my friend and we didn't tell a soul, we talked about it between us but never said a word to anyone else. I caught up with my mate a couple of years ago and she still hasn't told anybody.

Wow, that makes me the junior here, born June 24, 1964 ... no, that's a rare feeling nowadays. And I'm such a chatty personality, that I had a chat with the next police officer, when such a *advertiser censored* tried something on me. I think, I was 15 at the time. But then, I grew up in Germany, that's cultural a little different I guess.

Peter

I'm looking at your profile piece by piece Peter. I will cover it all, eventually.

I think earlier you mentioned the Theatre and it's proximity in relation to the fair.
Kline will know if I'm on the right track in saying I think it was the Rex theatre, 156, Johnson ave, Orofino. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl if the link doesn't take you to the map, type in the above address and you will see the Rex theatre.

There is a stretch of land a few mins walk from it, I'm guessing the fair would be held on here.

Moon phase for USA 1951 - http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1951&country=1

No half moon until Sunday evening. Saturday/Sunday would have been quite dark. Could the unsub be able to see what he was doing to interact with the body ? He may have returned on the Sunday evening when he removed the restraints (which I have always thought were the unsubs own trouser belt)
In the heat of the moment on the Saturday evening he may have forgot it.

You know I thought about it and ive never told anyone until I told you guys.
It really knocked me off my moorings.I felt unclean like id done something wrong.
I just shoved him away and mumbled 'No thanks' and as I turned and walked away the creep reached out and patted my rear end.
The whole attack just came out of no where.
A few years later and Im sure I would have beaten him to death .But at the time I was drinking under age in a(straight) bar where I shouldnt have been anyway so I felt guilty like it was my fault.
But Like I said before if that did happen to Lonnie...a 1951 12 year old...no wonder those teenagers picked up on him being 'upset'.

I'm looking at your profile piece by piece Peter. I will cover it all, eventually.

I think earlier you mentioned the Theatre and it's proximity in relation to the fair.
Kline will know if I'm on the right track in saying I think it was the Rex theatre, 156, Johnson ave, Orofino. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl if the link doesn't take you to the map, type in the above address and you will see the Rex theatre.

There is a stretch of land a few mins walk from it, I'm guessing the fair would be held on here.

You are right on the money Robin, that is the Theater and it hasnt changed one bit since 1951.
Just for kicks Ill stop by the Clearwater Tribune office and find out what movie Lonnie would have seen and let you guys know what was playing.
The plot of land next to the river just two blocks away is the City Park and that is where the Carnival and the Lumberjack competition was.

Wow, that makes me the junior here, born June 24, 1964 ... no, that's a rare feeling nowadays. And I'm such a chatty personality, that I had a chat with the next police officer, when such a *advertiser censored* tried something on me. I think, I was 15 at the time. But then, I grew up in Germany, that's cultural a little different I guess.

Peter
It amazing and disturbing how many kids have had that kind of thing happen.
I cant wrap my mind around someone trying to victimize a child yet there are so many that obviously think nothing of it. Pure Evil in my book.
Yet here are three of us who it happend to and we explore evil with a magnifying glass.
Im sure the psychiatrists would have plenty to say about that!
I will certainly check your website Peter! And by the way I think your english is fine.

You are right on the money Robin, that is the Theater and it hasnt changed one bit since 1951.
Just for kicks Ill stop by the Clearwater Tribune office and find out what movie Lonnie would have seen and let you guys know what was playing.
The plot of land next to the river just two blocks away is the City Park and that is where the Carnival and the Lumberjack competition was.

I'm glad you said that about going to the Tribune office, I was trying to see what was playing and in particular the time of each showing, thanks Kline.

So, technically, all near to each other. The distance between theater, burger place and Orofino bridge determines the length of the first time gap. If there was such a gap anyway. As I wrote in the profile, I think, Lonnie hung out for a while, where he ate that burger.
Thanks for the info, that gives a clearer picture.

Peter

It amazing and disturbing how many kids have had that kind of thing happen.
I cant wrap my mind around someone trying to victimize a child yet there are so many that obviously think nothing of it. Pure Evil in my book.
Yet here are three of us who it happend to and we explore evil with a magnifying glass.
Im sure the psychiatrists would have plenty to say about that!
I will certainly check your website Peter! And by the way I think your english is fine.

A police officer, who works cases with children in German once told me, she thinks, basically every child is at least targeted once. Only in most cases, nothing happens but a bit an uncomfortable feeling. Makes one wonder.

Peter

The movie Lonnie would have seen that weekend was "The Black Rose" a 1950 movie with Tyron Power and Orson Welles.
According to the IMB movie data base:
"A disinherited 13th century Saxon Nobleman
leaves Norman England with an Archer friend to seek his fortune in the Far East"
There were two shows that night.
One at 7:15 pm and the second at 9:15 pm.
If he hit the second showing he would have got out at 11:15pm.
If he took an hour wandering the Fairgounds or the bars on Johnson Avenue trying to find someone heading up the hill to Weippe before giving up and going to the end of the Orofino bridge where the Kamiah teenagers found him the timing would be about right.

The movie Lonnie would have seen that weekend was "The Black Rose" a 1950 movie with Tyron Power and Orson Welles.
According to the IMB movie data base:
"A disinherited 13th century Saxon Nobleman
leaves Norman England with an Archer friend to seek his fortune in the Far East"
There were two shows that night.
One at 7:15 pm and the second at 9:15 pm.
If he hit the second showing he would have got out at 11:15pm.
If he took an hour wandering the Fairgounds or the bars on Johnson Avenue trying to find someone heading up the hill to Weippe before giving up and going to the end of the Orofino bridge where the Kamiah teenagers found him the timing would be about right.

I think, I remember that movie. Awesome longbow! But that proves only my bad movie taste, does it?
Now seriously, if he came out of the theater about 11:15, he had about an hour, likely a little less (I wrote in the profile about the timeline), to eat that burger, drink a soda and ask around to get a ride ... and to get spooked. So that fits perfectly.

Peter

I think, I remember that movie. Awesome longbow! But that proves only my bad movie taste, does it?
Now seriously, if he came out of the theater about 11:15, he had about an hour, likely a little less (I wrote in the profile about the timeline), to eat that burger, drink a soda and ask around to get a ride ... and to get spooked. So that fits perfectly.

Peter

I know it was 1951 but, entry money for theatre, popcorn, burger and soda, could he have got all that for $1 ? and then if he did go to the last showing I'm struggling with how a 12 year old holds on to money from 4.30pm up to 9.15pm...just an observation.

I know it was 1951 but, entry money for theatre, popcorn, burger and soda, could he have got all that for $1 ? and then if he did go to the last showing I'm struggling with how a 12 year old holds on to money from 4.30pm up to 9.15pm...just an observation.

I wondered the same, but according to a relative who lived back in the time, movies as 25 cent, a burger with a soda about the same. And Lonnie had earlier already burned through $5 before his gram gave him an extra dollar. Chances are anyway, that Lonnie, the kid nobody really cared for, had another attitude to money than most kids we will see in our days.

Peter

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1951.html

Cost of Living 1951
How Much things cost in 1951
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 7.88%
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 9.5%
Average Cost of new house $9.000.00
Average wages per year $3,510.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 19 cents
Average Cost of a new car $1,500.00
Loaf of Bread 16 cents
LB of Hamburger Meat 50 cents
Bacon per LB 52 cents
Eggs per dozen 24 cents
Water Jacket Heater ( Asbestos ) $4.59
Baby Diapers ( Cotton ) From $2.79
Children's Tricycle From $14.00

1951 Unemployment dipped to 3.3% in the US and new roads were built to take the ever increasing numbers of cars including the New Jersey Turnpike. Children were given more than any other time in previous history with guitar lessons and sets of Encyclopedias to improve their minds . The average family income was $3,700 per year and people had money to spend so cars became more luxurious and had more powerful engines with options for two tone paint, during this time things like turn signals were still an extra and most drivers still used hand signals to tell other drivers which way they were turning. Television continued to grow with popular programmes like "I Love Lucy" and the first tests for Color Television Pictures were broadcast from Empire State Building . Europe continued to export many cars to the US including
Volkswagen's and Austin's.

Your relative was correct Peter.

Is this the "Greer Grade"? If so, I can't imagine anyone walking up that at night:(

[video=youtube;Wp5LCM2V-o8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp5LCM2V-o8&feature=related[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back