ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #1 *endangered*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, by giving that corner as a lks, I think a camera picked him up or a witness saw him crossing Arizona to the fields. They drained the ditches as much as possible early on and have spent considerable time searching the Snake River which is a good distance for a little guy to travel that quickly. Otherwise, I think that a ring doorbell would have picked him up going in the other direction and LE would give us that as a lks. MOO

Agreed. My point is that if that is a pipe, he could have been washed deep into it and be in a drainage connection vault/trap or somewhere in the line caught up on debris.

Agreed. My point is that if that is a pipe, he could have been washed deep into it and be in a drainage connection vault/trap or somewhere in the line caught up on debris.
I hope they have done as you suggested if it is a pipe. If you have a Facebook account, perhaps you could make the suggestion in the comments at City of Fruitland PD just in case? Log into Facebook | Facebook

I have no doubt that they have searched any nearby pipes, and that any number of local searchers have too, and even crawled into any pipes that are big enough.

Saturday’s article:
upload_2021-8-3_12-20-53.jpeg
At the conference, police said they want to talk to anyone who believes they were in the area of SW 8th St., SW 9th St., and Cornwall Way from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. on July 27.
Google Maps
"Operations to date include the methodical search of the area near Michael's residence which included two irrigation runoff ditches which were drained by the Fruitland Public Works Department and an extensive search and rescue effort including the use of K9's, aerial, and marine and land support," Officer Huff said.
'We just want our monkey home': Missing Fruitland boy's parents asks public for help

Looking at the above Google maps of the area, there appears to be a shiny building across the field. Can't tell if that's a grain
elevator or a home with tin roofs but might be worth looking into if it hasn't been already.

This seems notable - can any long time sleuthers comment?

The Argus Observer is reporting that MV is not on the NCIC and calls that "noteworthy".

Under federal law, state, federal and local LE are required to enter missing juvenile reports into NCIC within 2 hours of receipt.
See DOJ PDF with details here: https://operationladyjustice.usdoj....s/media/document/oljncicmissingpersonfile.pdf

Does anyone know if in practice LE tends to comply with this law? Or why a juvenile reported missing would not be entered?
IMO LE clearly has the information required to enter him (as detailed in pdf above).
-- ETA quote from article:

Michael is not listed on the National Crime Information Center as a missing person, which is a national database that “has been called the lifeline of law enforcement,” according to information posted online by the FBI. “It’s an electronic clearinghouse of crime data, such as mug shots and crime records, available to virtually every criminal justice agency nationwide.”

The newspaper reached out to the FBI’s Salt Lake City branch to find out if, when or how a person ends up on the NCIC database. Their spokeswoman referred the newspaper to the Fruitland Police Department, which has declined to speak individually with members of the press at this time.

Last edited:
The boy’s family has been “fully cooperative” in the investigation, police said.

Last week, police asked any potential witnesses who may have been in the area of Southwest 9th Street and Arizona Avenue in Fruitland to come forward, even if they do not believe they saw anything.

Investigators also asked that people who live in the immediate area where Michael was last seen to “thoroughly search” their property.

The Fruitland Police Department assured the public Tuesday that the search for Michael was still ongoing.

“Our search efforts are still ongoing and extensive,” a post on the department’s Facebook page read. “Our main focus is to locate Michael.”

Police reminded volunteers engaged in their own personal searches to respect citizens’ right to deny entry to their property and to not walk through cultivated fields without the property owner’s permission.
https://1430wcmy.com/2021/08/03/ida...ndangered-5-year-old-missing-since-last-week/

The Argus Observer is reporting that MV is not on the NCIC and calls that "noteworthy".

Under federal law, state, federal and local LE are required to enter missing juvenile reports into NCIC within 2 hours of receipt.
See DOJ PDF with details here: https://operationladyjustice.usdoj....s/media/document/oljncicmissingpersonfile.pdf

Does anyone know if in practice LE tends to comply with this law? Or why a juvenile reported missing would not be entered?
IMO LE clearly has the information required to enter him (as detailed in pdf above).

Michael is not listed on the National Crime Information Center as a missing person, which is a national database that “has been called the lifeline of law enforcement,” according to information posted online by the FBI. “It’s an electronic clearinghouse of crime data, such as mug shots and crime records, available to virtually every criminal justice agency nationwide.”

The newspaper reached out to the FBI’s Salt Lake City branch to find out if, when or how a person ends up on the NCIC database. Their spokeswoman referred the newspaper to the Fruitland Police Department, which has declined to speak individually with members of the press at this time.

Replying to myself (sorry)

If the Argus is accurate in reporting that MV is not in NCIC, it seems that MV may have been found or the missing report was found invalid.

Has MV been found? Has someone confessed that the missing report was invalid?

Based on the involvement of the FBI and state police, it seems very unlikely that MV was never entered into NCIC due to an error. Which leads me to conclude he was removed. Thoughts @OldCop @Filly @Knox @Trackergd ?

Background:
Per DOJ the missing person report is only purged/ canceled or cleared by the investigating agency if the person was found or the report was found to be invalid.

The reporting agency is responsible for:

Clear, cancel, modify, or add supplemental information to the missing person record when circumstances
require it (i.e., clear the record when the entering agency has located the missing person; cancel the rec-
ord when the record is no longer valid and the report has been withdrawn; modify the record to correct
errors; or add supplemental information to the original record).

Fruitland Police Department, which has declined to speak individually with members of the press at this time: Probably cause they got busted by a reporter and now they’re scrambling. Or cause they’re too busy being “called on the carpet” by the FBI. I’m quite taken aback by the FPD’s failure to follow protocol.

Eta: I sure hope you’re onto something here if he’s been found. I wonder was he ever entered or are there questionable doubts about the missing child police report. *When was the last time someone beside family physically saw Michael? I thought about this question earlier when I was reading their thank you message to the community. In my experience and training, this can be a possible red flag - making particular statements in thank you speeches before their child is found. Sorry - don’t start throwing things at me. It’s a thought. I can’t escape my training…
Why do Orrin and Orson keep popping in my mind?

Last edited:
If the FPD has been careless/negligent in having MV listed into the NCIC, that would be disappointing and shocking to me. But that's the only reason I can think of that he is not listed.

If he is not missing, what would be the reasons for LE not informing the public? They want to get perp to tell them where he is first? Hard to believe they would cancel so quickly though? Just thinking out loud. If someone confessed, it still seems like they would not cancel until they knew where MV was? They know who took him, bt don't know where he is...I don't get it.

Replying to myself (sorry)

If the Argus is accurate in reporting that MV is not in NCIC, it seems that MV may have been found or the missing report was found invalid.

Has MV been found? Has someone confessed that the missing report was invalid?

Based on the involvement of the FBI and state police, it seems very unlikely that MV was never entered into NCIC due to an error. Which leads me to conclude he was removed. Thoughts @OldCop @Filly @Knox @Trackergd ?

Background:
Per DOJ the missing person report is only purged/ canceled or cleared by the investigating agency if the person was found or the report was found to be invalid.

The reporting agency is responsible for:

Clear, cancel, modify, or add supplemental information to the missing person record when circumstances
require it (i.e., clear the record when the entering agency has located the missing person; cancel the rec-
ord when the record is no longer valid and the report has been withdrawn; modify the record to correct
errors; or add supplemental information to the original record).

Fruitland Police Department, which has declined to speak individually with members of the press at this time: Probably cause they got busted by a reporter and now they’re scrambling. Or cause they’re too busy being “called on the carpet” by the FBI. I’m quite taken aback by the FPD’s failure to follow protocol.

Eta: I sure hope you’re onto something here if he’s been found. I wonder was he ever entered or are there questionable doubts about the missing child police report. *When was the last time someone beside family physically saw Michael? I thought about this question earlier when I was reading their thank you message to the community. In my experience and training, this can be a possible red flag - making particular statements in thank you speeches before their child is found. Sorry - don’t start throwing things at me. It’s a thought. I can’t escape my training…
Why do Orrin and Orson keep popping in my mind?
Agree!
I too wondered why they only thanked the searchers and did not make any kind of appeal to Michael or potential abductors. It seemed notable that they did not think to make an appeal and more importantly the parents were not prepped by LE to make any kind of direct appeal to MV or to abductors. [ETA to cut "or tipsters]

At the time, I thought maybe that was because unreleased evidence was pointing heavily toward wandered off and drowned (not abduction). But I am certainly wondering about foul play. :(

If this was any kind of error, FPD should clear it up NOW.

Last edited:
Agree!
I too wondered why they only thanked the searchers and did not make any kind of appeal to Michael or potential abductors. It seemed notable that they did not think to make an appeal and more importantly the parents were not prepped by LE to make any kind of direct appeal to MV, to abductors, or to tipsters.

At the time, I thought maybe that was because unreleased evidence was pointing heavily toward wandered off and drowned (not abduction). But I am certainly wondering about foul play. :(

If this was any kind of error, FPD should clear it up NOW.
Exactly!
Neither parent spoke out for their child; yet spoke out for and thanked the searchers (who, btw have not yet located their child, through no fault of their own -no doubt). Speaking out for themselves and what they want. They want their little “Monkey” home with them. This also reminds me of Deorr as his nickname was used so much “Little Man” why not call out by his given name given by them? I hear no words of how frightened, hungry or thirsty might be if alive or any thoughts if he might have been taken and speaking out to residents who might have seen Michael or anyone suspicious in the area…

ETA: Last week, police asked any potential witnesses who may have been in the area of Southwest 9th Street and Arizona Avenue in Fruitland to come forward, even if they do not believe they saw anything. bbm
Idaho police search for 'endangered' 5-year-old missing since last week
*The above bbm leads me to believe they have particular questions for those people in the area because no timeframe is listed besides the day Michael was reported missing.

Last edited:
d

Mom spoke first, Dad said the last line

18:24
not i just want to thank the community
18:27
and
18:28
all the enforcement agencies that have
18:30
been
18:31
continuously tirelessly looking for him
18:34
and
18:35
anybody that has any information please
18:37
contact the fruitland pd
18:40
we just want our monkey home we just
18:42
miss our baby and we want him home
18:44
anything helps anything

I'm thinking.

Exactly!
Neither parent spoke out for their child; yet spoke out for and thanked the searchers (who, btw have not yet located their child, through no fault of their own -no doubt). Speaking out for themselves and what they want. They want their little “Monkey” home with them. This also reminds me of Deorr as his nickname was used so much “Little Man” why not call out by his given name given by them? I hear no words of how frightened, hungry or thirsty might be if alive or any thoughts if he might have been taken and speaking out to residents who might have seen Michael or anyone suspicious in the area…

If FPD failed to enter MV into NCIC due to oversight, shame on them. Usually in a local PD you have a data entry clerk who enters information on a given case into pertinent federal databases, based on the type of incident.
However, this case has always seemed a little “different” for lack of a better term. From the beginning, we heard that LE responded because they heard a report that a child was missing. What does that mean? It certainly doesn’t sound like a typical 911 call wherein a parent or guardian calls to report that their child is missing. This sounds more like someone tipped FPD off and they went to investigate.
Then we have the silence on the part of LE. Usually, when a child is missing there are frequent and very public updates.
I could be totally wrong, but it sounds like something may be going on behind the scenes here. There are two parts to every missing person’s case: 1) the search to locate the person, and 2) the investigation to determine how and why that person is missing.
Hopefully we will soon have some type of explanation from LE.

His parents did appeal for anyone with information to contact LE. I'm not understanding why people are judging this appeal.
I’m trying not to be so cynical. I’m trying to talk this out. I should have worded my post as a more general thought. Too many previous cases in my head, I guess. The appeal came off, to me, as a little too basic… jmo

For now, I believe that it is an oversight that MV was not entered into the NCIC database. We'll see if they correct it quickly.

It's possible there was a sighting by a neighbor, and a 911 call, and we just don't know about it. IMO

Last edited:
For now, I believe that it is an oversight that MV was not entered into the NCIC database. We'll see if they correct it quickly.

It's possible there was a sighting by a neighbor, and a 911 call, and we just don't know abot it. IMO
Thinking about the wording “hearing a report” and the possibility of a neighbor calling 911 - anyone know if a concerned citizen can call 911 and ask to remain anonymous to msm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi