ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #1 *endangered*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never looked at it before, just put his name in and he doesn't come up. Assuming just anyone can search or do you have to do something special
Who would put his name in NAMUS?

Not directed at you, ReadySet, but does anyone know: Is he in NAMUS?

Not directed at you, ReadySet, but does anyone know: Is he in NAMUS?
I don’t find him listed:
Search | NamUs

@ReadySet In 2012, an Analytical Division was added to NamUs, offering criminal justice professionals additional resources to locate information on missing persons, locate family members for DNA sample collections and next of kin death notifications, and disposition tips and leads.
About

Last edited:
I've never looked at it before, just put his name in and he doesn't come up. Assuming just anyone can search or do you have to do something special
Who would put his name in NAMUS?

You're right, it doesn't look like he's in there either. I believe only LE or the family can file a report with NAMUS but it is usually done right away.

This seems notable - can any long time sleuthers comment?

The Argus Observer is reporting that MV is not on the NCIC and calls that "noteworthy".

Under federal law, state, federal and local LE are required to enter missing juvenile reports into NCIC within 2 hours of receipt.
See DOJ PDF with details here: https://operationladyjustice.usdoj....s/media/document/oljncicmissingpersonfile.pdf

Does anyone know if in practice LE tends to comply with this law? Or why a juvenile reported missing would not be entered?
IMO LE clearly has the information required to enter him (as detailed in pdf above).
-- ETA quote from article:

Michael is not listed on the National Crime Information Center as a missing person, which is a national database that “has been called the lifeline of law enforcement,” according to information posted online by the FBI. “It’s an electronic clearinghouse of crime data, such as mug shots and crime records, available to virtually every criminal justice agency nationwide.”

The newspaper reached out to the FBI’s Salt Lake City branch to find out if, when or how a person ends up on the NCIC database. Their spokeswoman referred the newspaper to the Fruitland Police Department, which has declined to speak individually with members of the press at this time.
I don't understand. What reason would there be to not put him on that list? From a LE perspective? I'm not slamming LE I'm just genuinely curious. MOO

I don't understand. What reason would there be to not put him on that list? From a LE perspective? I'm not slamming LE I'm just genuinely curious. MOO
From my web searches, federal law absolutely requires LE to enter missing children reports into NCIC. As far as I can tell, that leaves three options:
1) the local newspaper is wrong
2) there was an LE error and he was never entered or entered incorrectly
3) or he was entered but then removed. (Which would mean he was found or the missing report was determined to be invalid).

ETA - this article was published and tweeted out 7 hours ago now. If it was an error from the paper or the police, why has there been no clarification from Fruitland PD? 'We just miss our baby and we want him home'

Previous articles: *I’m trying to narrow down a timeline and determine if there’s an intended specific reasoning for “thoroughly search”

Investigators also asked that people who live in the immediate area where Michael was last seen to “thoroughly search” their property.
https://westerniowatoday.com/2021/0...ndangered-5-year-old-missing-since-last-week/

According to Payette County Sheriff's Office, the county issued a CodeRED to residents in the Hidden Meadow Subdivision in Fruitland at 8:18 p.m. Tuesday. It was later expanded across the whole county at 9:40 p.m.

"When we have an endangerment factor due to age, circumstance, imminent danger of bodily harm or death, we want to make sure that we're notifying the community and the public that they need to help us find that child or missing person," Parmenter said.

While there are no criteria that need to be met for a timeline to issue an endangered missing person alert, ISP said time is always important in cases such as Michael's.
Why an AMBER Alert wasn't issued for missing Fruitland boy | ktvb.com

Michael Joseph Vaughan was last seen Tuesday in the area of South Arizona Avenue and Ninth Street in Fruitland, where an open field adjoins the edge of a residential neighborhood. The site is a few blocks from the Fruitland Police Department, where Huff held a news conference Saturday afternoon.

Efforts have included a “methodical search of the area near Michael’s residence,” which included draining two irrigation runoff ditches, Huff said. Idaho Fish and Game have been searching several miles of the Payette River, which runs close to where the boy was last seen.

“Even if you don’t believe you have something that’s relevant ... we want you to contact us so we can re-create a complete picture of the time that Michael was last seen,” Huff said.

Police are especially looking to determine Michael’s whereabouts between about 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. on July 27.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article253171313.html
**Michael vanished a few blocks from the Police Department? Surely there are security cameras all over this small section of property referenced.
Eta:
Gone without a trace. But the community is still rallying for the family.

In collaboration with Big Sky Sportswear, each shirt will have a hashtag that says #BringMonkeyHome which his parents relayed to the community during a news conference over the weekend.

Money from the first 48 T-shirts sold will go to the family.

"Well obviously this (the money) isn’t going to help in locating him, but the parents are both working-class people," said Lucinda Day, owner of Big Sky Sportswear. "I mean, and I can’t even imagine being able to function, breathe, let alone work right now. So, it just kind of eases the burden so at least they don’t have an additional thing to worry about."

Fruitland Police will be holding a news conference Wednesday at 2 p.m. bbm
T-shirts made of missing Fruitland boy Michael Vaughan

Last edited:
"Michael Joseph Vaughan was last seen Tuesday in the area of South Arizona Avenue and Ninth Street in Fruitland, where an open field adjoins the edge of a residential neighborhood. The site is a few blocks from the Fruitland Police Department, where Huff held a news conference Saturday afternoon."

I wonder who it was that reported seeing him where the field adjoins the neighborhood? Maybe a passing car from the nearby homes?

I'm wondering how large the FPD is? In this day of modern police methods, you can still find small police or sheriff departments in rural areas that continue to operate more like the "Andy Griffith Show". One here in PA is all part time officers (3) with a single holding cell built in the 1800's out of hammered sheet iron (no toilet). They were all kinds of fun to work with on a case years ago. Many municipalities don't even have a police department and rely on the PA State Police. Response times can be nearly an hour depending where the closest trooper is. My thought is that this case may have overwhelmed a small department and the NAMUS listing was overlooked in the rush to find Michael.

I'm wondering how large the FPD is? In this day of modern police methods, you can still find small police or sheriff departments in rural areas that continue to operate more like the "Andy Griffith Show". One here in PA is all part time officers (3) with a single holding cell built in the 1800's out of hammered sheet iron (no toilet). They were all kinds of fun to work with on a case years ago. Many municipalities don't even have a police department and rely on the PA State Police. Response times can be nearly an hour depending where the closest trooper is. My thought is that this case may have overwhelmed a small department and the NAMUS listing was overlooked in the rush to find Michael.
My initial thought also. It does seem likely though that upon this discovery report, that it would have been corrected by now.

I'm wondering how large the FPD is? In this day of modern police methods, you can still find small police or sheriff departments in rural areas that continue to operate more like the "Andy Griffith Show". ...

"The Fruitland City Police Department is a full service agency that provides twenty-four hour police service to the citizens of Fruitland. Uniform officers respond and investigate all reported crimes, code enforcement violations, traffic complaints and other requests for public assistance."

Police Department

"Full-time law enforcement employees in 2019, including police officers: 16 (12 officers)."

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fruitland-Idaho.html

I know the area very well. There is a lot of farm land and like others have mentioned many irrigation/canals out there. Yes, Fruitland and Ontario have 24 hour police service.
There are two rivers that go through the towns Snake River and Payette. Some are saying that he couldn't have made it to either, I disagree. Never under estimate how far children are able to go. I wish they would give a little more information regarding the K9's. There is a 'major' highway I84 essentially goes all the way from Portland to SLC. Also, there is a bit of a drug problem in that area.
Hope he is found safe and soon!

I'm very surprised he hasn't been entered into NCIC or NAMUS.

I also had no idea that NAMUS wasn't in use nationwide. And the next question would be, why isn't it used nationally?

I hope we have some news today of this little guy.

In the Summer Wells case, reported missing on June 15, NAMUS profile created July 7th.

I believe in TN the law is TN SB113 - Help Find The Missing Act.

I've said many times that it should be department policy nationwide to enter missing persons and unidentified deceased into NAMUS. Some departments do, some don't. IMO

ETA: correction @imstilla.grandma posted the correct info for TN in her article.

Tennessee

As a result of Tenn. Code 38-6-125, also known as the Help Find the Missing Act, since 2017 forensic centers must enter information on unidentified bodies into NamUs and into the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. This information must include, if available, fingerprints, dental records, descriptions, DNA, and other identifying information such as date and place of death. Law enforcement must submit missing persons records including dental records and x-rays, if available, to NamUs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member