ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #1 *endangered*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems notable - can any long time sleuthers comment?

The Argus Observer is reporting that MV is not on the NCIC and calls that "noteworthy".

Under federal law, state, federal and local LE are required to enter missing juvenile reports into NCIC within 2 hours of receipt.
See DOJ PDF with details here: https://operationladyjustice.usdoj....s/media/document/oljncicmissingpersonfile.pdf

Does anyone know if in practice LE tends to comply with this law? Or why a juvenile reported missing would not be entered?
IMO LE clearly has the information required to enter him (as detailed in pdf above).
-- ETA quote from article:

Michael is not listed on the National Crime Information Center as a missing person, which is a national database that “has been called the lifeline of law enforcement,” according to information posted online by the FBI. “It’s an electronic clearinghouse of crime data, such as mug shots and crime records, available to virtually every criminal justice agency nationwide.”

The newspaper reached out to the FBI’s Salt Lake City branch to find out if, when or how a person ends up on the NCIC database. Their spokeswoman referred the newspaper to the Fruitland Police Department, which has declined to speak individually with members of the press at this time.

From my web searches, federal law absolutely requires LE to enter missing children reports into NCIC. As far as I can tell, that leaves three options:
1) the local newspaper is wrong
2) there was an LE error and he was never entered or entered incorrectly
3) or he was entered but then removed. (Which would mean he was found or the missing report was determined to be invalid).

ETA - this article was published and tweeted out 7 hours ago now. If it was an error from the paper or the police, why has there been no clarification from Fruitland PD? 'We just miss our baby and we want him home'

100% correct that it is required by Federal law that all missing persons are required to be entered into NCIC as a File 6 (Missing Person). And there is a time limit to do so.

With a department as small as FPD, it's entirely possible that they were overwhelmed and it was simply and oversight. And imo, I doubt functionally it makes a difference. For a stolen car, for example, if you don't enter it and another department stops the vehicle, they won't know it's stolen. That's common, and would be a huge issue for the department. But if a child were located, they're not going to just send him back out the front door if his name doesn't come up as a File 6. If they've had contact, there's a reason, obviously. So the receiving department would investigate, I'm sure. And unless they're hundreds of miles away, they probably know this baby is missing. Sure, it's possible a child located with an adult that LE isn't sure they're supposed to be with could get away if there wasn't a File 6 on the child, BUT, that adult wouldn't give the child's real name anyway. So while this is an agregious error, like resulting in at least a fine for FPD if they, in fact, failed to enter the child, it's not likely (imo) to have made a difference in terms of finding him.

That said, Moe is right, it's also possible the child WAS in NCIC and then it was canceled. That a horse of a different color, and that would mean located or entry error (wasn't actually missing in the first place). So will be interested to see how this plays out.

Moe, in my experience, local law enforcement takes file entries seriously. If I had to bet right now, I'd say the department was overwhelmed by this and it was an oversight.

Areas “not far from” Michael’s home is where law enforcement personnel from Fruitland and multiple other agencies, including the FBI, are concentrating their search efforts, according to the latest information from Fruitland Police Department in a news release on Tuesday night.

A news conference is planned for 2 p.m. this afternoon with further updates. As our next print edition is Friday, the newspaper will post updates as information is received at www.argusobserver.com.

Irrigation ditches as well as the Snake River have been searched, and Huff urges citizens to carefully search their property. This includes outbuildings, vehicles and irrigation ditches, or any other small places a small child could hide or get stuck in.

Huff has not responded to the newspaper’s request regarding whether kidnapping has been ruled out. He previously stated no Amber Alert was issued because enough information wasn’t known, including whether there was a suspect or suspect vehicle.
5-year-old Michael 'Monkey' Vaughan is still missing

"The Fruitland City Police Department is a full service agency that provides twenty-four hour police service to the citizens of Fruitland. Uniform officers respond and investigate all reported crimes, code enforcement violations, traffic complaints and other requests for public assistance."

Police Department

"Full-time law enforcement employees in 2019, including police officers: 16 (12 officers)."

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fruitland-Idaho.html
So there are 12 ft officers. 1 is probably the Chief and there is usually one at the station to take walk-ins. So that leaves 10 for patrol and incident response. That leaves 3 per shift, then you have days off, so maybe 2 officers. If the city is very quiet they may assign only 1 to the overnight shift and 3 to day or evening.
They are spread very thin. It’s usually okay in a small peaceful town, but if you have a major incident you rely heavily on the county Sheriff and nearby communities for backup.

I don’t understand why this child isn’t receiving more publicity…even on this site. Most missing children would have multiple threads by now. But little Monkey gets a couple posts a day.

Sadly...and this is not a dig at anyone here, this is just a general observation...what gets people's interest up is the opportunity to "sleuth." If the family seems suspicious (which it doesn't in this case), if there's info to go on about a potential perpetrator, these are the things that get attention, likes, posts and views in the media and on sites like these. If it is looking like it's a sad but predictable case where a child wandered off and suffered an accident, unfortunately the public's interest fades quickly because there's no drama to keep it going.

I think it's often the public's desire to pillory the family that keeps the spotlight on certain child disappearances.

Sadly...and this is not a dig at anyone here, this is just a general observation...what gets people's interest up is the opportunity to "sleuth." If the family seems suspicious (which it doesn't in this case), if there's info to go on about a potential perpetrator, these are the things that get attention, likes, posts and views in the media and on sites like these. If it is looking like it's a sad but predictable case where a child wandered off and suffered an accident, unfortunately the public's interest fades quickly because there's no drama to keep it going.

I think it's often the public's desire to pillory the family that keeps the spotlight on certain child disappearances.
Spot on! I will add that the extra sleuthing and questions sometimes spark opportunities to learn, grow our skills and gain knowledge from discussions such as this one for future cases.

Last edited:
I agree. It's a truth I don't always like to admit.

However, another dynamic I've noticed as I've followed both the Summer Wells and this case is that there is also some "local defensiveness" that affects posting, imo. And of course I think we are more interested in cases that are local to ourselves.

I don't live in Fruitland, but in the Boise Valley and am familiar with the general area of Fruitland.
I noticed that I feel a certain amount of defensiveness about the case; I bristle a bit at any implied criticism of Idaho, the FBP, the parents, etc.

As more information comes out, that will fade, just as it did with the Deorr Kunz Jr. case, and my belief about the guilt of the parents outweighed any protectiveness about my state.

This has helped me understand a dynamic in the SW case, imo there is a lot of defense of the parents because it's the South, Appalachia, Tennessee, "Country" people, etc. That's just my perspective.

It's a good thing that we have a variety of members with different perspectives and knowledge of different case locations. It can help us see more clearly.

Well said, neighbor!
Agree. There have been many OK threads I’ve followed and continue to - several that are within 15 to 20 minutes from me - that are so gruesome it pains me. I sometimes feel so embarrassed for my state, state agencies (particularly since my career was spent in public service) and the LE departments involved. I’m so proud when it goes right and a bit timid when they go left. I tend to post much less when they go wrong. It makes me wonder if people think every Okie is just like some of the monsters that live here or that we all only have red dirt roads and outhouses.

I get it.

I do believe in this case that LE are doing the maximum, multiple agencies and the FBI are involved. I think the lack of information fuels speculation, we want to know.

For myself, speculating is also a distraction from thinking about Michael because it's so painful, he's only five years old. Just a baby in my grandma's mind. I can distract myself from thinking about the worst.

But those who love and know him can't. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Agree. There have been many OK threads I’ve followed and continue to - several that are within 15 to 20 minutes from me - that are so gruesome it pains me. I sometimes feel so embarrassed for my state, state agencies (particularly since my career was spent in public service) and the LE departments involved. I’m so proud when it goes right and a bit timid when they go left. I tend to post much less when they go wrong. It makes me wonder if people think every Okie is just like some of the monsters that live here or that we all only have red dirt roads and outhouses.

This is the reason I stop following certain cases especially when no new info is coming out and case gets cold. People will sleuth or speculate on anyone and everything without having any facts to back up the speculations.
Rumors become facts and people not named suspects become suspects. This leads to more pain from those surrounding a case that have already suffered.
I followed a case were the focus was not on the perp but the innocent caregiver because her lifestyle was less than stellar.

The Argus Observer article was updated a few minutes ago and they say he's in the NCIC.

"Michael was listed on the National Crime Information Center as a missing person the first night he went missing, according to information newly received by the newspaper from ISP's Missing Person's Clearinghouse."

'We just miss our baby and we want him home'

There have been a few cases near me over the last few years. A WS member noted many years ago "We are all only one poor decision away from becoming the subject of one of these threads".
I get it.

I do believe in this case that LE are doing the maximum, multiple agencies and the FBI are involved. I think the lack of information fuels speculation, we want to know.

For myself, speculating is also a distraction from thinking about Michael because it's so painful, he's only five years old. Just a baby in my grandma's mind. I can distract myself from thinking about the worst.

But those who love and know him can't. My thoughts are with him and his family.
You’ve both, as have many members here, shared insight and truth that propels our self knowledge into personal growth. Thanks everyone. I agree that it does serve as a diversion. Images of him, scared and in danger, seem to swiftly run from my mind and I jump to Google. I can hardly help it. I post a lot. 90% of my posts are to help provide up to date MSM articles to threads I’ve not delved into. I detach with many of them by serving only as an information provider. I don’t generally post opinions or get too involved with the back and forth. The remaining 10% - I become: Interested. Invested. Obsessed. Serial poster…
I don’t like myself for it and try to avoid these kid’s threads. Because. Tragic endings. Tears…

And there we go. We have multiple posts speculating that the FPB is incompetant, that maybe MV isn't really missing, etc. The Argus Observer didn't do its due dilegence it looks like. And
we followed up with speculation.

The Argus Observer article was updated a few minutes ago and they say he's in the NCIC.

"Michael was listed on the National Crime Information Center as a missing person the first night he went missing, according to information newly received by the newspaper from ISP's Missing Person's Clearinghouse."

'We just miss our baby and we want him home'

And there we go. We have multiple posts speculating that the FPB is incompetant, that maybe MV isn't really missing, etc. The Argus Observer didn't do its due dilegence it looks like. And
As we whispered down the lane with a broken telephone until we found the operator…

To be fair, we also discussed the possibility the newspaper was wrong. Or at least I did in my posts.

It’s a shame that the FBI PIO who was in touch with the reporter did not flag the question or the article for Fruitland PD to correct the record instead of waiting 24 hours to correct it. Glad to have the facts now.

ETA- I had really hoped he had been found.

My suspicion is he is in one of the 'neighbours ' houses very close to where he went missing.

MOO
Interesting. Could be the reason why LE is seeking communication from anyone around the specified area regardless of what they saw. Geez, is it 2 PM yet? Anyone know what site the live press conference will be on? I sure hope the information has some positive signs to hope for a miracle.

Eta:
A grid search of Fruitland two days after Michael disappeared included aircraft, drones and canines that “completely” covered the city and its surrounding areas, but led to no break in the case.

Cops also announced they wouldn’t be organizing another search involving the public barring new facts in the investigation. Police had previously asked residents to take part in the search for the missing boy last seen wearing a light blue Minecraft T-shirt, dark blue boxer briefs and blue flip flops.
Idaho cops search for missing 5-year-old boy Michael Joseph Vaughan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members