ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #1 *endangered*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is in the water, it will be because he was concealed there. IMO.

Based on the repeated language the FPD keeps using, asking residents to check and re-check their properties; and asking those who may know something to not be afraid to talk to the PD, I'm wondering if he has been hidden by someone. That's where I am right now, that he has been concealed. :(
(Snipped by me)

Sadly, I agree that LE seems to suspect he was concealed in the neighborhood.

Storm drains locator: input an address for a search area. For example, I input Fruitland, ID SW 8th & Cornwell Way. It also has a layer legend option on the right, showing canals, ditches, etc. I’m horrible with maps. Maybe someone else can interpret results.
ArcGIS Web Application

*"People can go to ACHDIdaho.org, it's under quick links and you can enter your address," DuBois said. "And it will show near your residence where the nearest storm drain is located."

The red dots are the storm drains, and the black squares are manhole covers.
ACHD's online map locates your storm drains across the Valley

ETA: *I wonder how closely has LE looked at Crestview Park:
If by chance he was taken by an older kid - the kid would probably be familiar and know his way around the park with the splash pad:
Google Maps
View attachment 309338
How are storm drains typically searched? if they are searched?

I do recall this drain search:
A search was recently conducted in the “large French drain in the Hidden Meadows Subdivision with the use of a high resolution, large drain camera, provided by New Plymouth Public Works Department.” LINK

I think it's fair to assume Crestview Park was thoroughly and repeatedly searched. That neighborhood and those streets are the key ones mentioned by LE for repeated searches. SW 8th, 9th, Cornwall way.

"Investigators will be back in areas that have been concentrated on and may be knocking on doors and asking more questions. Those areas include Southwest 8th and 9th streets, as well as three subdivisions: Cornwall Way, Hidden Meadows and Three Rivers Way." LINK

(Snipped by me)

Sadly, I agree that LE seems to suspect he was concealed in the neighborhood.

How are storm drains typically searched? if they are searched?

I do recall this drain search:
A search was recently conducted in the “large French drain in the Hidden Meadows Subdivision with the use of a high resolution, large drain camera, provided by New Plymouth Public Works Department.” LINK

I think it's fair to assume Crestview Park was thoroughly and repeatedly searched. That neighborhood and those streets are the key ones mentioned by LE for repeated searches. SW 8th, 9th, Cornwall way.

"Investigators will be back in areas that have been concentrated on and may be knocking on doors and asking more questions. Those areas include Southwest 8th and 9th streets, as well as three subdivisions: Cornwall Way, Hidden Meadows and Three Rivers Way." LINK
Your rescue team has been asked to assist a federal law enforcement agency with a search for a missing child. It has been more than a year since she was last seen; clearly, this is not a rescue mission. You’ve been asked to search the storm drain system, which is more than 1,750 feet long and has an active creek running through it. Due to the running water and evidence preservation concerns, entries will be made by teams of rescue techs partnered with a law enforcement dive team member.

A storm drain system is a confined space. Is your agency prepared to perform confined-space search and rescue in a similar situation? Do you know what to do in the event of an engulfment situation? What type of basic training is required to operate in these conditions? Will a rapid intervention team (RIT) be needed on site? This article will answer these and other questions pertaining to storm drain operations.
Technical Rescue in Storm Drains | FirefighterNation

2017 article:
Irrigation canals crisscross the valley, delivering water to farms throughout Canyon County. The Treasure Valley has hundreds of miles of irrigation canals that often make their way through residential neighborhoods and subdivisions, before moving to farmland in more rural parts of the valley. In Ada County and Canyon County alone, a total of 80 canals and drains run for about 500 miles adjacent to a number of homes.

The Treasure Valley isn't unique. Idaho, primarily a high desert climate, relies on these irrigation canals to deliver water so that farmers can grow sugar beets, potatoes, corn and more. According to the National Hydrography Dataset from the U.S Geological Survey, 13,570 miles of irrigation canals and ditches run through the state of Idaho.

Perhaps because of the prevalence of irrigation canals, Idaho has the second-highest rate of canal deaths for children aged 1 to 5 in the country, according to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. Idaho is second only to Florida.
Idaho has second-highest rate of canal deaths for children in the nation

Link posted for photo
upload_2021-8-18_10-12-21.jpeg
Desperately searching for a 5-year-old boy who went missing in Idaho nearly two weeks ago - Texas News Today

Michael Vaughan: Search for Missing 5-year-old Idaho Boy Enters 4th Week
by Leigh Egan
August 17, 2021
snipped
The search for 5-year-old Michael Vaughan, an Idaho boy who was last seen in July, has entered its fourth week.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Michael was last seen on July 27 at around 6 p.m. in Fruitland, Idaho, in a residential area near an open field near his home on SW 9th Street. He was wearing a “Minecraft” T-shirt, boxer briefs, and blue flips flops. It remains unclear who, if anyone, was with him before he disappeared.

On Monday, the Fruitland Police Department took to Facebook and posted that the search for Michael is still very much active and ongoing.

“As of today, Monday, August 16, we have received nearly 290 tips from citizens. It is an intensive effort to follow up on all credible tips and leads and continue to review all video footage. However, investigative resources from the FBI, Idaho State Police, Boise Police Department, and the Fruitland Police Department remain on task.”

----
Good to see Leigh Egan @leighEg covering Michael's case. Both Summer Wells and Michael gone in the blink of an eye....or maybe not? Now another little one missing from her yard - Madison Yale....

MI - MI - Madison Yale, 4, Autistic/NonVerbal, Engadine, 16 Aug 2021

Thank you, Oviedo...
As of this article you quoted...
It seems :
"It remains unclear who, if anyone, was with him [Monkey] before he disappeared."

Thank you, Oviedo...
As of this article you quoted...
It seems :
"It remains unclear who, if anyone, was with him [Monkey] before he disappeared."
Exactly - usually we have a parent saying - oh i turned my back for a minute and poof, child disappeared. (aka Summer Wells) but nothing here. it's very odd
IMO
ETA Madison was located safe.

While abduction by adult is on everyone's mind along with injured and expired, the wording has me wondering about older children. Older children with issues can be very cruel to younger ones leading to an accidental event.
I think it's definitely a possibility. The bolded part really stands out to me. LE have obviously spoken with family, friends and neighbours. Who does that leave who they haven't already spoken to?

"We still believe there may be someone who may know something and has not yet spoken with one of our investigators. If this is you, and you’ve been unsure, perhaps even afraid to contact us, please know, we want to listen...."

Exactly - usually we have a parent saying - oh i turned my back for a minute and poof, child disappeared. (aka Summer Wells) but nothing here. it's very odd
IMO
ETA Madison was located safe.

I agree... minimal last scene info. in this case IS odd...
I wish we knew if sighting on corner is from CCTV?
Eye witness?
Or... ???

JMO

ETA: I am relieved Madison was found safe!

I think it's definitely a possibility. The bolded part really stands out to me. LE have obviously spoken with family, friends and neighbours. Who does that leave who they haven't already spoken to?

"We still believe there may be someone who may know something and has not yet spoken with one of our investigators. If this is you, and you’ve been unsure, perhaps even afraid to contact us, please know, we want to listen...."

I agree, that could be aimed at a younger person. I wonder if Monkey ever talked about anyone in the neighborhood that teased him or picked on him. When he was out looking for kids to play with, where did he end up going? Who would he hang out with? Most older kids are not going to want a five year old tagging along, IME.

8/4/2021
The Idaho State Police Missing Person Clearinghouse currently lists 171 missing persons in Idaho, 39 of whom were under the age of 10 at the time they went missing, according to Tanea Parmenter, missing person Clearinghouse manager and Amber Alert Coordinator.

Michael’s listing was created the night he went missing, she said. The way this happens is that when a law enforcement agency enters a missing person from Idaho into the National Crime Information Center, a notification is sent to Parmenter at the Clearinghouse so an alert can be created.

“We issued an alert Tuesday night when he went missing,” she said.

While Michael is the newest juvenile case for Idaho, there are other long-term missing juvenile cases which remain unsolved. These include April Bowdish, Ruben Felix and Deorr Kunz, according to Parmenter. All of these individuals went missing at the age of 2, according to Clearinghouse records.

The Clearinghouse website breaks up missing records into multiple categories, including ‘disability,’ ‘catastrophe,’ ‘endangered,’ ‘involuntary,’ ‘juvenile’ and ‘other.’ Catastrophes include events like mudslides — such as the one in Oso, Washington in 2014 which killed 43 people — other natural disasters, building collapses, and boating and airplane accidents, Parmenter explained. A disability is usually some sort of endangerment due to a factor, such as dementia or Alzheimers or auditory, she said.

When someone is listed as endangered, it is typically due to a factor such as age or circumstance or something that has to do with the potential of bodily harm or death if they aren’t found right away, Parmenter said. A listing under the juvenile category is for people under the age of 18 who authorities aren’t sure why they are missing.

“It could be a whole host of reasons, such as miscommunication with parents, runaway or other different reasons,” she said.

Records filed as ‘other,’ are similar to those ‘juvenile’ listings, if there is no endangerment or catastrophe factor to consider.

Not all of Idaho’s missing juveniles are listed under that respective category some are listed elsewhere, such as endangered, as is the case with Michael and Deorr. Ruben shows up under juvenile records and April shows up under other.

With Michael and those other young children, they are considered endangered because of their age. Michael is one of three endangered listings that were listed this year. The other two were adults, Charles Mink Jr and Opal Parker, who went missing July 8 and May 11, respectively.

“Looking at a 5-year-old, he doesn’t have the ability to take care of himself or find food, and he has a higher potential risk of interaction with others,” Parmenter said.
The latest on missing persons in Idaho; nearly 1/3 are juveniles

*While we’re all waiting for an update, it’s a good opportunity to check out these other Idaho missing juvenile cases:
Missing Persons Clearinghouse

I think the police/FBI must have a POI by now and a theory of what happened. The family is so quiet. Which makes me think either it’s a family POI or LE has told them that media will harm and not help at this point. Moo

I snipped a few interesting paragraphs from:
https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/201253NCJRS.pdf

Child abduction murders are part of a general pattern of violence against children, typically with a strong sexual component.

When the distance from the victim's home to the body recovery site was analyzed, it was discovered that in 63 percent of the cases, the body recovery site is greater than 1 1/2 miles from the victim's home. Only in 4% of the cases is the body found at the victim's residence. Interestingly, the younger the victim, the closer the body is found in relationship to the victim's home. In five percent of the cases the body recovery site is the killer's residence.

Why was the killer at the initial contact site? The killer was in the area of the initial contact site 2/3 of the time because he belonged there. He lived in the area 29 percent of the time; 19 percent of the time, he was there for some normal social activity, (visiting a friend or coming from a sporting event); and 18 percent of the time, he was there for some non-social activity (working, putting an ad in the newspaper). This follows, since we have already learned that 57 percent of the victims were victims of opportunity. The fact that the killer belongs in the area of the initial contact site 2/3 of the time suggests that officers conducting the neighborhood canvass should not only ask the question, "What did you see that was unusual?" but should also ask, "What did you see that was usual?"

The victim's last known location is within 1/4 mile of the initial contact site in 80 percent of the child abduction cases. Also, in 33 percent of the cases, the initial contact site is less than 200 feet from the victim's home. In 58 percent of the cases, it is within 1/4 mile of the victim's home.

Curiously, even though these cases are most often stranger relationships, in 18 percent of the cases the killer lives less than 200 feet from the initial contact site. In 35 percent of the cases, he lives within 1/4 mile.

We can summarize the relationship between the sites by reviewing Table 31, below. The data show that the typical victim is near his/her home when last seen prior to the abduction. The initial contact between the killer and the victim is also very close to the victim's last known location. After the initial contact is made, the victim is taken or transported some distance away and killed. The victim's body is then disposed of very near the murder site.

I agree, that could be aimed at a younger person. I wonder if Monkey ever talked about anyone in the neighborhood that teased him or picked on him. When he was out looking for kids to play with, where did he end up going? Who would he hang out with? Most older kids are not going to want a five year old tagging along, IME.
I do have a hard time believing a younger person (teenager) would be able to hide a body that well. Unless of course the teen was of driving age.

I do have a hard time believing a younger person (teenager) would be able to hide a body that well. Unless of course the teen was of driving age.

I hope they are investigating teens/young adults in the immediate vicinity who have parents who are hardly ever home or aware of what's going on. I think can of three cases in the last 5 or so years where a male teen neighbor was the perpetrator :(.

Let's say there was someone in the area who had refused to speak to LE and refused to let them search their property. There is nothing on camera and no witnesses that indicate anything suspicious about the neighbor other than their refusal to talk and to allow a search.

How could LE get a search warrant? Or could they? Is the fact that a child is missing in their area enough to get probable cause?

He was last seen in the area of southwest 8th Street, southwest 9th Street and Cornwall Way between 6:30 and 7:15 p.m. on July 27 in Fruitland.

After 3 weeks, searchers continue to look for missing Fruitland boy | ktvb.com

6322b60e-e45b-44af-9991-082f33fd9ff1-SW9thStreetSW8thStreetandCornwallWay.JPG

So on this map, you can see the way he must have been walking, if he was last seen on Cornwall and SW 8th st, and then 9th Street. And it backs ups to the field.
It feels like he must have ended up in a yard or vehicle or garage there around SW9th and S Washington St. It could have been a delivery driver or service tech of some kind, or some older kids, saying lets go get slurpies...

I think the police/FBI must have a POI by now and a theory of what happened. The family is so quiet. Which makes me think either it’s a family POI or LE has told them that media will harm and not help at this point. Moo
If they do have a POI and I think it's very possible, this could be a warning? They're being very specific where they're coming back to.

"Investigators will be back in areas that have been concentrated on and may be knocking on doors and asking more questions. Those areas include Southwest 8th and 9th streets, as well as three subdivisions: Cornwall Way, Hidden Meadows and Three Rivers Way."

Investigators will circle back to areas near boy's home

Cox is a close friend to the family and said she has been acting as a sounding board and support system for Michael's parents, Tyler Vaughan and Brandi Neal.

Cox described Michael as a curious and friendly boy. She said he wandered off onto the front yard to go over to a neighbors house when he went missing.

"They're incredibly brave, they're being incredibly strong," Cox said. "They're very supportive of each other and they're doing the best they can."

"The community has been fantastic," Cox said. "It's just overwhelming, the amount of support. It's just people wanting to do so much to get Monkey home."

"There's not even word to express the gratitude that they feel, the love that they feel from the community," Cox said. "It's just absolutely amazing."

"It's tireless efforts that they're putting out there and it's time away from their families," Cox said. "They're working so hard to get a solution and get Monkey home."

Cox said the family speaks to investigators daily.

The family said if people are looking to help, they encourage donating water or snacks to the search crews that are working day in and day out.

Cox asked people to continue to share Michael's picture on social media and by handing out flyers. She also asked people to only use pictures of Michael that have been shared by the family.

"They could not be any more thankful," Cox said.
Family of missing Fruitland boy 'thankful' for ongoing search efforts and community support | ktvb.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member