ID ID - Pocatello Abductions, 1978-1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Long definitely did not kill the woman bicycling-Kristen David.

Long definitely did not kill the woman bicycling-Kristen David.

kemo said:
The "girl in the canyon" (I assume you mean the Jane Doe) was found 500 ft from Campbell and Anderson...The odds that two predators would independently choose the same dump site in such an expansive area are infinitesimal.

I seem to have mis-typed. When I was writing yesterday's post, I was remembering Anderson was the one bicycling. I should have checked -- my bad.

Long doesn't seem to be the type to just carve up a girl the way that Kristen David was sliced up.

Updated story. The rumor about the mother's keys/purse being taken from the Oasis Bar that night is true. A source in 1983 told the newspaper that a shirt had been confiscated from a man and his truck searched. He was the purse theft suspect. I have that press clip as well as many others. The woman Cindy babysat for that night packed up and left the apartment with her 2 year old daughter right after it happened. My suspicion is evidence was lost because of her sudden move, and they had the right guy then but not enough to arrest. http://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...cle_0140dcc6-c67e-11e3-9baa-001a4bcf887a.html

Let's try this again:
This is very interesting information but it raises more questions than it answers. It seems unlikely that a 14 year old babysitter would open the door sometime after 11:45 PM for anyone she doesn't know or trust. Someone with a key could quietly enter and take the girl by surprise. It is possible that a random purse thief went to the young mother's apartment and ended up committing an opportunist rape, but it would be very unlikely that such a thief/rapist would abduct his victim.

Far more likely that someone specifically targeting the babysitter would try to steal the keys to the apartment. He would have to have known where Cindy was babysitting and where the mother worked. Do we know if the suspect had any ties to Cindy or Linda Smith?

How did Cheri meet that woman who worked at that bar? What kind of life did that woman lead? Where was the father of that child? Do we know where that woman is now? HAs she been questioned lately? Where is the man who took the purse now and who's shirt was recovered from that truck?

In catching up on these cases, I stumbled on something that might be important. I was reading an article:

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...cle_0140dcc6-c67e-11e3-9baa-001a4bcf887a.html

This article was primarily about the Cindy Bringhurst case. Apparently the woman Cindy was babysitting for, who was working at the Oasis Bar, had her purse stolen that evening and there was a Prime Suspect in the purse theft who also became the Prime Suspect in the abduction and was never charged with either crime.

The article implies that detectives did not believe Cindy's case was related to Linda Smith's case. It goes on to say that the Prime Suspect in Linda Smith's case was interviewed but it suggests that he was not considered a serious suspect in Cindy's case. (The article says that the Prime Suspect in Linda's case was in prison when he was interviewed but it does not make clear if he was actually incarcerated when Cindy was abducted)Either way, reading the article, one gets the clear impression that the two Prime Suspects are two different men.

The trouble is, as serious Websleuths know, the Prime Suspect isn't alway guilty.

Linda, like Cindy, was alone with her brother in the early morning hours when someone entered the home through an unlocked door and abducted Linda. Her 9 year old brother saw the whole thing and provided a description of the perpetrator and his vehicle(a van with flames painted on the side). Because Linda has a history of running away and possibly because the family was low income, it was assumed the bother was telling a story to cover for Linda.

Linda Smith's case is problematic because it was't really investigated until 11 months after the fact when the body turned up. Before that, it was written off as a runaway situation. Once it became a homicide investigation, it was discovered that an acquaintance of the family had written some threatening letters to them. At some point Linda's brother id'ed the letter writer. It is unclear why he was never charged.

Except for having different Prime Suspects, both cases were very similar. Both involved someone entering a home, in the middle of the night, where there was a young girl but no adults. Linda's mother was recently divorced and out with friends that night. Cindy employer was also a single mother who was working in a bar that night. Obviously, who ever did each of these cases knew the mother was out and a young girl would be home alone.

This a very rare crime and for it to happen twice in a 2 year period in such a small town. For the crimes to be unrelated would be improbable ( but, of course, not impossible).

It would seem the best approach would have been to consider both mothers' circle of acquaintances to see if there was someone in both circles who would know that a young girl would be home alone babysitting when the mother was out.

The purse stealing suspect would be an obvious place to start. While Linda's home was unlocked, where Cindy was was locked and the crime scene had no evidence of forced entry. Whoever stole the mother's purse would have her address and he keys and Cindy was reported to have come by the bar earlier that evening so some customers might have become aware of who would be minding her kids that night. Actually many of the mother's acquaintances might have been aware of the fact that Cindy babysat while she worked. Did the Prime Suspect of the Purse theft happen to be part of Linda's mother's circle of acquaintances?

It is possibles that the Prime Suspect didn't do it and someone else stole the purse. Less likely, the purse theft was unrelated to the abduction. I would be particularly interested in a one in Linda' s mother's circle of acquaintances who was in the Oasis the night Cindy, was abducted or otherwise have access to Cindy' employer's purse.

Apparently there is yet a third Prime Suspect in the Campbell-Anderson abductions. The crimes are definitely different but we cannot assume they are unrelated. Was he consider for possible ties to Cindy and Linda's case?

These cases are very old, I believe all of the mother's are dead and memories have certainly faded. It is getting to be unlikely that any evidence not already in one of the case files will now turn up.

Kemo, do you know the name of the person who stole the purse? Was it in the newspapers? Also, what was the name of the woman that Cindy babysat for? What was the reason she moved out shortly after Cindy's disappearance?

An Idaho State Journal article going all the way back to October 23, 1973 shows another abduction and rape of a 17 year old girl from a home in Pocatello. I wonder if there were any similarities or whether that victim gave a good description of the rapist that could be compared to the purse thief's description? Maybe it's possible the 1973 rapist started out just raping and then graduated to rape and murder.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/rape%20probe_zpsad79gavf.jpg

Another Pocatello abduction and attempted rape from 1968 (2nd case in article)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/rapecases_zpsdyweb31p.jpg

Please standby,
This is a very good find. 8 years is a long time and the victim was older ( and not killed) but there are obvious similarities between 3 very unusual crime in a small town. I wonder if connections were explored.

I don't know who the purse suspect was. He was not publicly identified because he was never charged and I know nothing about the circumstances of the case. I have no ties to SE Idaho so I have access to information except on line.

My interest in the case is the fact that so much evidence is available in such a small tow with a small pool of suspects. My suspicion is that Linda's case allowed to go cold and when the body was discovered and a suspect was identified, they were unable to make a case. When Cindy's abduction occurred, a different suspect was identified immediately who was different from Linda's suspect. For that reason, a decision was made that the cases were unrelated and investigations were done separately.

Kemo, do you know the name of the person who stole the purse? Was it in the newspapers? Also, what was the name of the woman that Cindy babysat for? What was the reason she moved out shortly after Cindy's disappearance?

An Idaho State Journal article going all the way back to October 23, 1973 shows another abduction and rape of a 17 year old girl from a home in Pocatello. I wonder if there were any similarities or whether that victim gave a good description of the rapist that could be compared to the purse thief's description? Maybe it's possible the 1973 rapist started out just raping and then graduated to rape and murder.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/rape%20probe_zpsad79gavf.jpg

Another Pocatello abduction and attempted rape from 1968 (2nd case in article)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/rapecases_zpsdyweb31p.jpg

Yikes! I'm decades and hundreds of miles from there, but I just got the creepy chills so bad! I knew the scary babysitting stories I heard as a little girl were true, but sometimes it hits you harder than others. Shudder.

Pocatello in 1970 with a population around 40,000 wasn't really a small town. Where I grew up in Montana, Pocatello had the reputation of being a rather rough city with city problems and quite a crime problem. I don't know whether the numbers actually justified that reputation, but when I was in Pocatello, I wouldn't walk in the downtown area alone after dark.

I only walked through the underpass walkway once. It smelled like pee.

Although I generally thought Pocatello was the most boring place in the world to grow up lol. Who knew folks in Montana thought it was rough!

Eta: Pocatello has a serious creepy vibe IMO. I've often likened it to Stephen King's Derry. Soul sucking.

Sent from my LG-D321 using Tapatalk

Maybe rough isn't the right word. Creepy might cover it. It always seemed like bad things were happening there.

Pocatello is also where that triple homicide occurred in the mid 80s at that theater. There is a thread on it. Quite a few murders in the late 70s that can be pinned on 1 man. The man who walked in the house and abducted Linda-what is his name and where was he when Cindy Bringhurst was taken? I heard that the man who took Linda had a vendetta against her family. Also, re Linda and her mom being newly single and out-where was Linda's dad? Was she close to him? Are her folks still alive?

Weren't the theater murders in Lewiston?

Sent from my LG-D321 using Tapatalk

yes, lewiston, sorry! There was a crime that happened in pocatello linked to that suspect, though.

yes, lewiston, sorry! There was a crime that happened in pocatello linked to that suspect, though.

I don't think so. Two interesting series of crimes, same state, but hundreds of miles apart. No connections to my knowledge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back