Found Deceased ID - Rory Pope, 2, Eagle, Ada County, 2 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Long article:
'Gone for a matter of moments': Eagle police chief gives update on search efforts surrounding missing 2-year-old | khou.com
Published: 3:54 PM CDT September 2, 2020
Updated: 4:43 PM CDT September 4, 2020
  • grandparents were packing and preparing
  • Rory took off running and was gone for a matter of moments
  • Rory does have a history of playing hide and seek with family members
  • important for residents in that neighborhood to check their surrounding areas where a 2-year-old could hide
  • Rory's family has been fully cooperative throughout the duration of the search.
  • Rory had been at the pond very recently before going missing
  • no evidence that Rory was abducted, and the case does not meet the criteria for an AMBER Alert
What a nightmare :(

My granddaughter has been taking these classes.
Those classes have been discredited in some avenues. The child is only able to stay afloat for a minimun of time, which is fine for swimming pools but not ponds or cases where the child is not discovered quickly.

But these classes give them an advantage.

It's absolutely better to do them than not. However they should also not be relied on, and I think the concern is sometimes that parents can become lackadaisical if they think their kids (especially small kids) are fine unsupervised around water because they've done a course. The reality is that small children always need supervising around water, 100% of the time, even if they've done these kinds of lessons. These lessons are like a seatbelt; you need to wear it, but it doesn't mean you can drive unsafely just because you're wearing one. That's even more the case when the body of water around isn't a swimming pool. I think sometimes adults forget to think like a kid when it comes to water; we don't see a pond as being something we'd want to get in so don't treat it with the same respect as we do a pool. But kids just think "water! cool!" or whatever.

Don't take this as victim blaming, I'm not blaming them at all. It's 100% a tragedy and I'm aching for them. Parenting toddlers is an unrelenting task and pretty much everyone's taken their eyes off their kids long enough something like this could happen, it's just lucky that it doesn't most of the time.

RIP - so so often water is an attractant that toddlers cannot escape from. That is why LE always goes to water. Drowning victims at that age are silent.

So so sad. My heart breaks.

It’s awful. It’s so easy to lose sight of a child this age. They’re so fast and often so fearless. They don’t understand that something fun to do earlier can be deadly when they’re alone.

Such a horror for his family.

Those classes have been discredited in some avenues. The child is only able to stay afloat for a minimun of time, which is fine for swimming pools but not ponds or cases where the child is not discovered quickly.
She is two and is actually now swimming. She has always shown no fear of water and they live on the coast so it was to protect her somewhat. She would simply jump into the pool and sink. Now she knows how to get back to the surface and looks for the edge to get out. She can doggy paddle a bit.

From what I understand, Rory's family was visiting family in Idaho from California, to check out housing and job opportunities. The parents had lost their jobs because of Covid 19.

A donation fund was set up, and has already raised $70, 000. It has been shut down because it exceeded the original goal. The money will be used not only for a service and essentials, but for counseling for the family. My understanding is that the family is planning a move to Idaho.

Unfortunately there were several fake donation funds set up also. As usual.

My take-aways:
Sorrow for the loss of a child and the grief of a family.

Belief in the goodness of a community that wants to help.

Renewed vigilance about little ones and how "dangerous" they are; that we cannot rely on anything other than eyes on them when they are not in a secure place.

Remembering my own curly headed blonde child, who almost drifted away from us on an Idaho creek years ago. He is now in his 30s, but that experience stopped me from judging other parents and thinking it couldn't happen to me.

A deeper understanding of how professionals use their experience and knowledge when someone may be in the water. With all the outside noise (why isn't there an Amber Alert? There was a strange black van in the area! Here's a picture of the little boy at the airport!) they so often continue on with their jobs, shutting out the noise and going on with best practices in order to do what they know best.

ALSO THERE WAS NOT AN AMBER ALERT. I live in idaho, i just went through my texts and I have nothing stating an alert has been broadcasted in september. I dont have any friends so that was easy to check (i dunno if every state does this, but the whole state gets texts all the way to oregon if a kid goes missing).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back