IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #3 *SMOLLETT ARRESTED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jussie Smollett's lawyers blast authorities, say actor was 'betrayed by a system that wants to skip due process'

I don't really get the "outrage" here. Police arrest people based on evidence. While our court system is based on innocent until proven guilty, the burden of proof is on the state. However, the process involves charging and arresting a defendant. A prosecutor does not pursue charges, unless there is sufficient evidence to actually make a case against the defendant.

Blow some more hot air.
Are we sure his team isn’t on the SNL payroll? :D They are funny!

I don't think he really can as any sort of state allocution would set him up for the feds pouncing on him, which the terrorist letter is his real problem and a plea to a hoax fight really puts him behind the 8 ball. However, what does surprise me is how much he's going on the offensive and not being quiet, which I think he's turning off a lot of people and boxing himself him.
Absolutely agree. Regardless of his best legal options, if he thinks pissing off LE and prosecutors, who are human beings with pride and dignity like everyone else, is a good strategy, have at it.

Jussie Smollett's lawyers blast authorities, say actor was 'betrayed by a system that wants to skip due process'

I don't really get the "outrage" here. Police arrest people based on evidence. While our court system is based on innocent until proven guilty, the burden of proof is on the state. However, the process involves charging and arresting a defendant. A prosecutor does not pursue charges, unless there is sufficient evidence to actually make a case against the defendant.

Blow some more hot air.

I would get it if this was some random person who suddenly got thrust into the spotlight as it would be rather aggressive if it just came out of the blue against a nobody, but this is after some celebrity went on GMA and fake-cried about how LE wouldn't solve the case due to his status.

In this particular case - the camera being on in a private residence - it would be considered an illegal search, which is I believe the reason given why LE complied. I think it matters what jurisdiction and what the circumstances are. If someone was being arrested out on public property out in the open, then I think you could ask but they wouldn't have to comply.

That is a very good point!

I believe that he went to the Studio and continued to claim his innocence and told cast, crew and Producers that he would never put them in the middle of doing something like this (paraphrasing) and at the end of his coming back, they let him shoot the scenes scheduled. They didn't buy his performance, then the decision was made. Whether it be any Court or Jury or Judge, his penalty is going to be no TV show no contract no fans and nobody to buy his music.

JMO
The irony would be if he ends up penniless (although I doubt it), and the Nigerian bros. sell a tell-all book and become millionaires, like Trading Places!

In this particular case - the camera being on in a private residence - it would be considered an illegal search, which is I believe the reason given why LE complied. I think it matters what jurisdiction and what the circumstances are. If someone was being arrested out on public property out in the open, then I think you could ask but they wouldn't have to comply.
Let's keep in mind he wasn't being arrested when he asked LE to turn off their cameras.

He was a victim. LE was there in response to him calling 911 to report a crime. He was not a suspect.

Later he was a suspect, but at the time he was the victim

We could make a mess of the conversation if we forget the context of JS's request for no camera. (FWIW, the request was odd....not defending it or making comment on the request itself, but rather the context.)

jmo

I just skimmed through the threads on this case. I knew little about the story until the past few days when it has been covered by local (Detroit) media. I recall hearing about the alleged attack when it first happened but was unfamiliar with the actor or the show and didn't pay much attention to the story. Kind of hard to escape coverage now.

I'm curious about those who have followed the case from the beginning: Are you a fan of Empire and/or JS, or are you interested in the evolving criminal case?
The only reason I heard about this case is because it received such an inordinate amount of attention from the get-go. Then after quickly seeing all of the discrepancies, I purchased a ticket on the crazy train.

Let's keep in mind he wasn't being arrested when he asked LE to turn off their cameras.

He was a victim. LE was there in response to him calling 911 to report a crime. He was not a suspect.

Later he was a suspect, but at the time he was the victim

We could make a mess of the conversation if we forget the context of JS's request for no camera. (FWIW, the request was odd....not defending it or making comment on the request itself, but rather the context.)

jmo

I'm well aware of that and I think that's amongst the reasons why LE was instantly suspicious, but they don't want to give reasons for any evidence acquired during an investigation to be thrown out. Can you imagine what the likes of Mark Geragos could do with the Chicago PD ignoring the request of a reported hate crime victim in their own home? When LE is in someone's home without a warrant, they've got to be careful what they do so as to not risk compromising a case. Smollett's team would probably right now be accusing CPD of being homophobic racists who violated the civil rights of a traumatized hate crime victim if CPD let the cameras keep rolling in Smollett's home.

I'm well aware of that and I think that's amongst the reasons why LE was instantly suspicious, but they don't want to give reasons for any evidence acquired during an investigation to be thrown out. Can you imagine what the likes of Mark Geragos could do with the Chicago PD ignoring the request of a reported hate crime victim in their own home? When LE is in someone's home without a warrant, they've got to be careful what they do so as to not risk compromising a case. Smollett's team would probably be accusing CPD of being homophobic racists who violated the civil rights of a traumatized hate crime victim if CPD let the cameras keep rolling in Smollett's home.
I agree it was an immediate red flag.

My concern was the conversation here on this thread was turning into what seemed to me a conversation about LE and suspects.

That's all.

jmo

The only reason I heard about this case is because it received such an inordinate amount of attention from the get-go. Then after quickly seeing all of the discrepancies, I purchased a ticket on the crazy train.

Welcome to the trains. Will ride with you anytime, bearing in mind that WS is Grand Central Station for all the trains. ALL ABOARD!

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member