GUILTY IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime, Jan 2019 #6 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

·
9m
Prosecutor Sean Wieber: "Please describe what you saw of Mr. Smollett's attack when you were on the phone with him." Nothing, Moore said. He only heard things.

Wieber going in rapid-fire: "You couldn’t see how hard the punches landed … how hard the kicks landed … you were not standing on the corner with Mr. Smollett."

Re-direct from defense attorney Heather Widell: "You didn’t need a stunt to promote Mr. Smollett's music, did you?" No, Moore said. He was already very popular. "Mr. Moore, do you believe Mr. Smollett staged the hate crime?" Objection, enthusiastically sustained by Linn

Defense's second witness is Dr. Robert Turelli, an emergency medicine physician at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. That's where Smollett went to get checked out after the beating.

Earlier in the trial, Smollett's attorneys made a big deal about whether cops knew he got an MRI at the hospital and that doctors took his injuries seriously.

Jurors seeing photos of Smollett's face at the hospital. There are scrapes and some bruising on both sides of his face.

Were Smollett's injuries real, the defense asks? Yes, Turelli testifies, and he ordered an x-ray and CT scan.

Last edited:
Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

·
1m
Sounds like the defense started to try to ask Turelli about Northwestern personnel getting disciplined for leaks. Prosecutors object, Linn sustains.

"Prosecutors on cross establishing, basically, that it wasn't the doctor's job to determine whether or not Smollett was lying that night, and he has no idea what Smollett was or wasn't doing before he showed up at the ER. "

"Jurors viewing a doctor's assessment of Smollett's medical situation. It mentions soreness to the neck and face but states that he was not bleeding or swelling. I can also read "neuro exam entirely normal but will get CT brain given multiple significant blows to the head."

Smollett got Tylenol for the pain and declined anything stronger, Turelli says.

The tests Smollett got at Northwestern showed no injury to his skull or brain, no broken rib, and no narrowing/blocking of the arteries in his neck, Turelli testifies.

None of the eight scans/tests/x-rays Smollett got showed any "acute traumatic injuries," Turelli says. Prosecution: Does that mean no severe injuries? Turelli: It means no injuries. "

Re-direct from the defense: Could these injuries have been called by one strike? It seems unlikely, Turelli responds.

Last edited:

[URL='https://twitter.com/CharlieDeMar']Charlie De Mar
[/URL]

NOW: Defense attorney Tamara Walker was asking Ola about tweets in which he used homophobic language. Judge stopped defense and said they are getting into "collateral" territory. Walker asks for sidebar She returns and asks for a mistrial

Accuses Judge Linn of physically lunging at her. Linn denies motion for a mistrial. Wild couple of minutes

Sketches of the chaos. “I’m stunned that you would consider a mistrial.”-Judge James Linn Sketches by : Cheryl Cook.

https://twitter.com/CharlieDeMar/status/1466544557353431041

Charlie De Mar

NOW: Defense attorney Tamara Walker was asking Ola about tweets in which he used homophobic language. Judge stopped defense and said they are getting into "collateral" territory. Walker asks for sidebar She returns and asks for a mistrial

Accuses Judge Linn of physically lunging at her. Linn denies motion for a mistrial. Wild couple of minutes

Sketches of the chaos. “I’m stunned that you would consider a mistrial.”-Judge James Linn Sketches by : Cheryl Cook.

https://twitter.com/CharlieDeMar/status/1466544557353431041

I hate to say it, because I do respect defense attorneys, as my father was a great and well respected one, may he RIP....but I do think that Miss Walker may have had this strategy in her back pocket--->to ask for a mistrial over the judge being unfair and even implying he is racist, it seems to me.

Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

1m
One more witness for the defense tonight: Pamela Sharp, a longtime publicist who began representing Smollett just before "Empire" premiered in 2015.

"Smollet didn't relish a bunch of media attention, Sharp says. "He didn’t like the camera on him – if he was working, fine ... but if it was out and about, if he was on a press line or something else, he’s just anxious with it," she says. "

"Smollett turned down an invitation to go on stage at the Grammys shortly after the attack, Sharp says. "He said 'I will be on the Grammys stage for my music, I’m not going to be on the Grammys stage to be a victim,'" she says.
(Prosecutors object to "rank hearsay.") "

"Sharp says she set up the Good Morning America interview, which Smollett only did reluctantly after pressure from executives ... then prosecutors object, Linn is talking, Sharp is talking, everyone talking at once. "

He didn't want to go to the Grammy Awards, because he already knew everyone was onto his game.

The timeline is that the Grammy Awards were AFTER his interview with ABC, that was the interview that nailed his story.

Question - when the jurors were chosen did they know the trial was going to go so late in the day every day?
In my experience, the judges usually ask the jury, about their availability, and limitations of scheduling. I know in the McStay case they had a couple of jurors who had to pick up children at the end of the day, by a certain time. And in other cases, jurors have asked to stay late to deliberate. So I think the judge polls the jurors and works with their availability. JMO

He didn't want to go to the Grammy Awards, because he already knew everyone was onto his game.

The timeline is that the Grammy Awards were AFTER his interview with ABC, that was the interview that nailed his story.
I think the jury is going to pick up on that^^^----he obviously wouldn't want to make himself stand out at a huge event right when people were talking about him pulling a hoax.

Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

4m
Prosecutor Sean Wieber on cross: "The goal is to get Mr. Smollett nationally recognized, yes?" Sharp: "For his art, yes."

Linn announces from the bench: There will be no trial tomorrow. He's telling everyone to come back Monday morning.

I bet the judge is going to do some DAMAGE CONTROL tomorrow. He is kind of losing control of this trial, with all these hotly contested, messy interactions between everyone. I bet he has meetings tomorrow, in chambers, and tries to rein everyone in.

I think that was a shock to him that the defense lawyer publicly accused him of 'lunging' at her...:eek:...I don't believe he actually did so, but I bet the NY post and the DM make a big thing out of it by tomorrow am...:rolleyes:

I bet the judge is going to do some DAMAGE CONTROL tomorrow. He is kind of losing control of this trial, with all these hotly contested, messy interactions between everyone. I bet he has meetings tomorrow, in chambers, and tries to rein everyone in.

I think that was a shock to him that the defense lawyer publicly accused him of 'lunging' at her...:eek:...I don't believe he actually did so, but I bet the NY post and the DM make a big thing out of it by tomorrow am...:rolleyes:

I totally agree! The judge hopefully will speak with all tomorrow concerning the behavior seen in court. Cripes! Even the sketch artist drew a picture displaying some serious body language ! We here, just read it...but I cannot imagine being a witness to that kind of behavior in a court room. He needs to rein this in pronto.

No, the brothers admitted that they did that too. Note the drawing of the tree...It is like a palm tree or banana tree.
Jussie Smollett Was Involved In Creating Racist Letter, Which Later Led To Attack, Sources Say
@mickey2942 Thx for your post w link & pic of Jan. 2019 purported hate mail, which I don't recall seeing before. Hmm, any reason for this to be raised at this trial, perhaps as to someone's credibility? (Yes, I know mail-related crimes are federally investigated)
Article says --
--- the brothers said "Smollett was behind creating a racist letter," and
--- in brothers' apt, LE found the magazine(s) from which the snipped out letters on the hate mail came.
Image source: Jussie Smollett Was Involved In Creating Racist Letter, Which Later Led To Attack, Sources Say

jussie-smollet-untagged-tgj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member