GUILTY IL - Darnell Donerson, Jason Hudson & Julian King, 7, slain, Chicago, 24 Oct 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's bothering to read some posts that basically hold Julia responsible (in essence) for what has happened to her family. Yes, she was involved with some questionable people. But, that was her life for years. Where she lived, grew up, etc. Yes, if she had only moved things would not be as they are now for her and her sister. If anyone of us knew the future, wouldn't we all try to change something so a tragedy didn't occur?

Julia is not, in any way, responsible for the murders of her son, Mother, and brother. She is a victim of crime. A horrendous crime. It will change her life forever. One truly hopes she can get through it all. I think this woman and her sister got the reality check of life already. Cut her some slack.
IMVHO

It's bothering to read some posts that basically hold Julia responsible (in essence) for what has happened to her family. Yes, she was involved with some questionable people. But, that was her life for years. Where she lived, grew up, etc. Yes, if she had only moved things would not be as they are now for her and her sister. If anyone of us knew the future, wouldn't we all try to change something so a tragedy didn't occur?

Julia is not, in any way, responsible for the murders of her son, Mother, and brother. She is a victim of crime. A horrendous crime. It will change her life forever. One truly hopes she can get through it all. I think this woman and her sister got the reality check of life already. Cut her some slack.
IMVHO

I agree. Regardless of their choices or where they chose to live, they didn't derserve to die. The only one to blame is the person/s responsible for killing them. IMO

IMVHO
Respectfully, I would have to disagree. She is responsible in several ways and to say she isn't is a mistake. She had a child to protect yet she still associated herself with known criminals and her own brother who was busted for drugs was living with that child. So to say she doesn't bear any responsibility is wrong. She made choices for him and those choices put him squarely in the middle of gang activity and a criminal element.

She wasn't just involved with "questionable" people!! She was involved with men who knowingly had a disregard for other's property and lives. It is a matter of fact when her husband had been serving prison time for attempted murder and carjacking! We are talking very poor choices for Step-father of the year here.

Her wake-up call should not have waited to come from her family being gunned down in such horror for her to have realized that Julian deserved better. We can't say she wasn't aware already of the dangers that she put him in. She did!

Respectfully, I would have to disagree. She is responsible in several ways and to say she isn't is a mistake. She had a child to protect yet she still associated herself with known criminals and her own brother who was busted for drugs was living with that child. So to say she doesn't bear any responsibility is wrong. She made choices for him and those choices put him squarely in the middle of gang activity and a criminal element.

She wasn't just involved with "questionable" people!! She was involved with men who knowingly had a disregard for other's property and lives. It is a matter of fact when her husband had been serving prison time for attempted murder and carjacking! We are talking very poor choices for Step-father of the year here.

Her wake-up call should not have waited to come from her family being gunned down in such horror for her to have realized that Julian deserved better. We can't say she wasn't aware already of the dangers that she put him in. She did!

I guess we can agree to disagree. That's all good. I cannot ever hold a family member responsible for what has been the choice of an other person who decides to commit a crime. Hindsight is always 20/20. The "should of, could of, would of" is something I believe every victims family has nightmares over.

Be well.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I guess we can agree to disagree. That's all good. I cannot ever hold a family member responsible for what has been the choice of an other person who decides to commit a crime. Hindsight is always 20/20. The "should of, could of, would of" is something I believe every victims family has nightmares over.

Be well.
Amen to that.

Amen to that.

When I come here and read different stories, crimes, and opinions, it always opens my eyes to the "what if". What if this happened to me or one of my beloveds"? What if the circumstances (literally) are beyond my control, but opinions are swift from those who have no idea what I or my beloveds are *really* about? I or my family could be victims of a crime. Everyday I am aware of that. That keeps me open. That gives me more empathy. There before the grace of God go I.

Very humble making. IMVHO, anyway.

What if the circumstances (literally) are beyond my control, but opinions are swift from those who have no idea what I or my beloveds are *really* about?

From all accounts this isn't a random crime. The suspect is a known violent person *invited* into their lives and home. This isn't a regular person with a clean record who snapped or kept a secret life from his family.

The carjacking by this suspect was extremely violent, and the victim likely should have died after he hit one of the two fences or the telephone pole.

A person capable of such an attempted murder is capable of ANYTHING and should not have had close contact with children much less being a father or stepfather. He should have been locked up for life after the first strike. But the carjacking didn't happen in Texas.

Just heard on CNN that the gun they found is the murder weapon used in the killings.......

Also, earlier they were discussing the fact that Julia has changed her Myspace photo, but continues to have William listed as her top 'friend'.

Yes, TG. They announced it on Fox, too. It doesn't surprise me. He/they dumped the gun when they were finished killing Julian with it after his uncle and grandmother. I think because it was dropped basically at the scene says he/they were making a quick getaway from that scene. Balfour couldn't very well take it home with him.

I will be interested if it matches another crime prior to the murders.

It has been said Balfour made threats and may have done the crime, based on Julia having a boyfriend. I think if that was the main motivator Balfour's priority would have been killing Julia, then also they family if they were at the seen. I haven't heard, where was Julia at the time of the crime. I am not saying she did it or was some way involved, I just want to know.
I think Julia should not have put such dangerous people around her son.
I think alot more is involved, maybe drugs or gangs. We need to know more about Julia and her brother's lives.

Julia is a bus driver and was at work. She is the one who discovered the bodies around 3:00 pm (I think).

The way gangs work isn't to go after the person because in order to cause them the most amount of pain is to take out their loved ones. This frequently happens where the pay back is calculated, coldblooded, and openly carried out as in this case. They did this in broad daylight without fear of being caught or being turned in by people in the neighborhood. By taking her son, the fear and the agony were prolonged which, imo, was done on purpose. Finding him dead days later was the final blow to Julia.

As always, I agree. Julia doesn't get off the hook here. There is guilt by association. Her mother, beloved son, and brother are dead. This is a nightmare that will never go away, she will live with this forever.

Here is my take on this. When my sister was murdered by her husband, I know there were many people that felt like it was her fault because she didn't leave the first time he beat her. How many of us have heard people say that about victims of domestic violence? She lived in a different state than the rest of my family and didn't confide in us about his violence. Neighbors often witnessed the abuse and called police, but the police would not remove him from the house unless my sister pressed charges. She never would. I know it's hard for many to understand her actions. Most of us feel we would tell the police to arrest him, we'd leave immediately, we'd call family...but none of us really know how we would act in that situation.
I'm so glad when I read that there are so many discussions online about the Hudson's horrible tragedy. It needs to be talked about. I'm discouraged though when too much of the conversation is about who's at fault instead of how can we prevent this.
I don't know if any of you have read that a woman was killed in the same neighborhood the weekend before the car was found. 11 children have been killed in Chicago this year from violence. AND just last night a 36 year old man was shot twice and left dead in the same Englewood neighborhood. I'm sure people heard those shots too, but I'm also sure, once again, no one picked up the phone. "Gunshots are normal here."
What's needed here isn't a blame game. What's needed here is a solution. I have read that the sisters have started a fund for victims of violence--that's a wonderful thing to do. I had just hoped they would start a fund to educate their community about how to protect their streets. I can't believe I haven't read anything from anyone--government, LE, family, neighbors about that. There is a great opportunity here to start changing things on those streets. I feel this would be the perfect time to get LE, government--everyone together to come up with a real plan. I know it seems like an overwhelming problem to take on, but if someone doesn't start, the problem will continue to grow. I live about an hour away from Orlando--trust me, I know it will keep growing.
When my sister was killed, I suddenly became aware of the problems with domestic violence. I discovered the same laws applied in my community that applied where my sister lived. It was up to the victim to press charges against her or his abuser. When I was asked to speak about my family's loss, although it was very hard to talk about, I did it because I wanted the laws changed so the police could make an arrest if they saw signs of abuse. Since then even more laws and legislation have passed to help victims of domestic violence.
I don't mean to stand on my soapbox, but I just feel people have to start taking some action. I just hate to think that in a few weeks from now things will be back to "normal" on Yale Street and drugs, gangs and violence will once again be just a regular part of everyday life. I would like to hear somebody say enough is enough!

Here is my take on this. When my sister was murdered by her husband, I know there were many people that felt like it was her fault because she didn't leave the first time he beat her. How many of us have heard people say that about victims of domestic violence? She lived in a different state than the rest of my family and didn't confide in us about his violence. Neighbors often witnessed the abuse and called police, but the police would not remove him from the house unless my sister pressed charges. She never would. I know it's hard for many to understand her actions. Most of us feel we would tell the police to arrest him, we'd leave immediately, we'd call family...but none of us really know how we would act in that situation.
I'm so glad when I read that there are so many discussions online about the Hudson's horrible tragedy. It needs to be talked about. I'm discouraged though when too much of the conversation is about who's at fault instead of how can we prevent this.
I don't know if any of you have read that a woman was killed in the same neighborhood the weekend before the car was found. 11 children have been killed in Chicago this year from violence. AND just last night a 36 year old man was shot twice and left dead in the same Englewood neighborhood. I'm sure people heard those shots too, but I'm also sure, once again, no one picked up the phone. "Gunshots are normal here."
What's needed here isn't a blame game. What's needed here is a solution. I have read that the sisters have started a fund for victims of violence--that's a wonderful thing to do. I had just hoped they would start a fund to educate their community about how to protect their streets. I can't believe I haven't read anything from anyone--government, LE, family, neighbors about that. There is a great opportunity here to start changing things on those streets. I feel this would be the perfect time to get LE, government--everyone together to come up with a real plan. I know it seems like an overwhelming problem to take on, but if someone doesn't start, the problem will continue to grow. I live about an hour away from Orlando--trust me, I know it will keep growing.
When my sister was killed, I suddenly became aware of the problems with domestic violence. I discovered the same laws applied in my community that applied where my sister lived. It was up to the victim to press charges against her or his abuser. When I was asked to speak about my family's loss, although it was very hard to talk about, I did it because I wanted the laws changed so the police could make an arrest if they saw signs of abuse. Since then even more laws and legislation have passed to help victims of domestic violence.
I don't mean to stand on my soapbox, but I just feel people have to start taking some action. I just hate to think that in a few weeks from now things will be back to "normal" on Yale Street and drugs, gangs and violence will once again be just a regular part of everyday life. I would like to hear somebody say enough is enough!

I do not read a person on some soapbox, but a person who has lived experience of a very sad tragedy that cost a beloved sisters life. Your point, from where I sit, is well taken in. Thank you for sharing, what I am sure was a painful perspective, of real life.

(((Hugs))) to you. So many hugs to/for you. :blowkiss:

As always, I agree. Julia doesn't get off the hook here. There is guilt by association. Her mother, beloved son, and brother are dead. This is a nightmare that will never go away, she will live with this forever.
Yes she will. Did she make wrong choices--yes, but do we really want to start listing all of the wrong choices? She grew up in that neighborhood where many of the people she knew--including her brother--became involved with drugs and gangs. Did her mother also make wrong choices? How about her brother and his associations? We could go on and on.
What's really important here is that another family is deeply hurting and there are no easy solutions to make sure we don't read about a tragedy like this again.

Excellent post kidz, and I'm so sorry about your sister. I'm not exactly looking to blame anyone, but I think it is a natural reaction to immediately wonder how could this happen. You're right though, looking for solutions is where the focus should be. :blowkiss:

I'm discouraged though when too much of the conversation is about who's at fault instead of how can we prevent this.

I don't see this case as analagous to your sister's at all.

This is about a dead child and an ex-con stepfather. This man should never have had a significant role in ANY child's life. Some crimes do not merit second chances. Dragging a person on the roof rack of a car is one of those crimes.

Prevention...The only way to prevent a crime like this is to keep such an animal locked up. If he's out there in the dating pool, someone is likely to bring a stray dog like this home.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mt.Grannie
Back