Identified! IL - DuPage Co., Boy, 3-5, found in laundry bag, Oct'05 - Atzel Olmedo

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do private schools provide the clothes? I read that the clothes were bought at a Walmart. Also, the age on him is 2-5, so there would be no kindergarten yet, or if he was just five years old, he may have started Kindergarted one month before he was found.

I've never attended private school, but when back to school season hits I see lots of stores like Target and WalMart carrying school uniform type clothing, so I imagine some schools don't provide the uniforms. Is it possible that preschool students are also required to wear school uniforms at some schools? I think it seems more likely in a montessori preschool, but I'm not positive about it. When I get home from work later tonight, I'll see what I can find as far as what schools require uniforms in the Naperville area.

Dena- since you are close to the area, do you know if the public schools also require uniforms? I know a lot of them are requiring them now.

I've never attended private school, but when back to school season hits I see lots of stores like Target and WalMart carrying school uniform type clothing, so I imagine some schools don't provide the uniforms. Is it possible that preschool students are also required to wear school uniforms at some schools? I think it seems more likely in a montessori preschool, but I'm not positive about it. When I get home from work later tonight, I'll see what I can find as far as what schools require uniforms in the Naperville area.

My pre-schooler wears a uniform, and his was bought at Wal-Mart.

Do private schools provide the clothes? I read that the clothes were bought at a Walmart. Also, the age on him is 2-5, so there would be no kindergarten yet, or if he was just five years old, he may have started Kindergarted one month before he was found.

Most private schools have school emblems on their clothing (mainly the shirts and sweaters). Some years ago there was a wave of public schools that started making kids wear generic looking "uniform" typed clothing to school... Doe's clothing looks like that type. As for his age: he is well in the age range to be in some type of public school program... 5k is no longer the startup grade for kids... most public schools have a 4k... and some even have a 3k. (in our area, 3k is aimed at young children in low-income households, or kids with learning issues.)

For him to wear a size 2 top and a size 4 pants I would think he would be more like 3 yrs if that. Of course it would depend if he was big or small for his age but I think 5 yrs is a little old for this little boy. Most kids wear a bigger size pants them they do tops but even a size 4 pants would fit most 3 yr olds.

I don't understand how anyone could put their baby in a laundry bag and throw him away either. Regardless of how he died. I hope it bothers them day and night...but it is doubtfull. Everyone deserves to have a service and buriel. I just wonder who he is and if his parents were legal.

For him to wear a size 2 top and a size 4 pants I would think he would be more like 3 yrs if that. Of course it would depend if he was big or small for his age but I think 5 yrs is a little old for this little boy. Most kids wear a bigger size pants them they do tops but even a size 4 pants would fit most 3 yr olds.

I don't understand how anyone could put their baby in a laundry bag and throw him away either. Regardless of how he died. I hope it bothers them day and night...but it is doubtfull. Everyone deserves to have a service and buriel. I just wonder who he is and if his parents were legal.

My boys all wore bigger shirts than they did pants, unless the shirts ran big. I think you are right about the age estimate, the sizes seem to be consistent with most 3-4 year old children, in my opinion. On the doe page, it notes that the death may not have been intentional, and I wonder if it would be known if the child had any type of illness at the time of death?

Dena, I wonder if you could answer an question about the area, in general? About the parents being "legal", are there migrant workers that travel the area? I am not familiar with IL in general, but while living in IA, there were a lot of migrant workers that traveled through to work in the area we lived. The only thing I have trouble with in regards to the migrant aspect is that I can't fathom anyone disposing of a baby in this manner.

I will continue to look for other "possible matches"- I can't imagine someone, somewhere not looking for this sweet young boy.

I am unsure about illegals, because there's really no way to know that, but there are a lot of Spanish people that travel to this area for work. I live in Carol Stream, right next to Naperville. Recently I was looking into the school my son will be attending in August and it stated the nationality percentages - white was 92% of the town, Asians were next in line, then Spanish, then African Americans. Not sure how accurate it is for the neighboring towns as a whole, but I would guess that this area is mostly white.
There are parts of Carol Stream that are more poor, and there are mostly Spanish living in those parts. A little South of me is West Chicago, which has its good and bad parts, same as Naperville.
Naperville is mostly known as a good town with little crime, same as Carol Stream.
If the parents of this little guy were illegal, I wonder if they would be able to put their son in a private school. My son is only 2.5, and to get him in a licensed daycare, they needed a lot of information from me. However, I am not too educated on the papers that illegals don't have that I do, to know the difference. They needed paystubs & IDs. I know when he starts preschool in August, they will need all those things plus proof of residency.
So, if the parents are illegal, I wonder how likely it would be that the parents had their son in a private school.
If there is no other reason they would remain in hiding, why has no one reported this child missing?

I also don't understand why they can not determine a cause of death. I have not read any details either on when they think the boy died, compared to when they found him.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions/posts. I have been wanting to talk about this little boy for so long but I thought it would be a dead end.

Also, from the redone pictures of him, he looks like a boy who was well fed. My guy is 2.5 and is in 3T pants and can wear shirts up to 5T without them looking too big. There are still times that 3T pants fall off his waist, but 2T pants are floods on him.
He is 36 pounds.

you all are awesome! i haven't ventured far on websleuths yet, but it is great that you all are keeping these cases alive. thank you!

I am unsure about illegals, because there's really no way to know that, but there are a lot of Spanish people that travel to this area for work. I live in Carol Stream, right next to Naperville. Recently I was looking into the school my son will be attending in August and it stated the nationality percentages - white was 92% of the town, Asians were next in line, then Spanish, then African Americans. Not sure how accurate it is for the neighboring towns as a whole, but I would guess that this area is mostly white.
There are parts of Carol Stream that are more poor, and there are mostly Spanish living in those parts. A little South of me is West Chicago, which has its good and bad parts, same as Naperville.
Naperville is mostly known as a good town with little crime, same as Carol Stream.
If the parents of this little guy were illegal, I wonder if they would be able to put their son in a private school. My son is only 2.5, and to get him in a licensed daycare, they needed a lot of information from me. However, I am not too educated on the papers that illegals don't have that I do, to know the difference. They needed paystubs & IDs. I know when he starts preschool in August, they will need all those things plus proof of residency.
So, if the parents are illegal, I wonder how likely it would be that the parents had their son in a private school.
If there is no other reason they would remain in hiding, why has no one reported this child missing?

I also don't understand why they can not determine a cause of death. I have not read any details either on when they think the boy died, compared to when they found him.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions/posts. I have been wanting to talk about this little boy for so long but I thought it would be a dead end.

You say that there are a lot of Spanish persons who travel to the area for work, do you mean in the migratory sense? The families I saw who traveled near us in IA, came from Mexico and traveled the US to work in different areas for the different harvest times. This was many years ago, so I don't know if it could even be relevent but I figured I would ask you about migrant workers. The workers who came to the town we lived, often had one or two women with them and sometimes their small children too. I am not sure how their travel is done today, but I had wondered who would dispose of a child this way, and I guess I was thinking along the line of a migrant worker because I don't know how it would be dealt with if someone on the trip passed away? (I am not "stereo typing" anyone in the migrant worker category, as most of those I met, observed were very family oriented...IMO.) I only thought along these lines because I want to believe that someone would be missing this little boy, like a grandparent, etc... and unless someone was very far away and unable to report him as missing is the only explanation I can think of for him being unidentified.

I have another question for anyone who may know, if a person is thought to be of hispanic descent, does that exclude Phillapino (sp?)? I have a friend who is Phillapino and she is of Spanish descent, but people often think of her as Asian or Oriental- I am not sure how this is handled as far as a legal description is concerned? I have gone through a lot of pages of the Charley Project and have seen a couple of little boys that look similar to "doe" and was wondering if Phillapino is considered hispanic.

Sorry for being so "wordy"- hopefully not to confusing to read!

I live in the immediate area too, although a bit east and north of Naperville. My opinion, seeing many 1st generation immigrants in this area, is that many of them do not send their children to daycare or preschool. I see many families with either two families living in a home or extended family and a grandparent stays home to take care of the children, or the men in the household work two jobs leaving early in the morning and returning around 11 pm while the females stay home to care for the children. Also, my son attends daycare in the area and I pay 198.00 per week for dc. I'm not sure how easy it is to get dc assistance, but think those dc providers in the area which do accept assistance might be a good place to search. He may not have been noticed missing if his parents or family said they were moving out of the area. I think it would be difficult for an immigrant family to afford the cost of dc in this area without assistance. jmo tho......

I wonder if the parents or relatives of this little boy received WIC services (woman, infant and children ). That might be an avenue to search, but not sure how...... and if WIC workers did recognize him what kind of records they may have to remember a name.

I wonder if anyone has the time or ability in the area to print a couple of posters to hang up in a local doctors office and or WIC office? (Is it legal to look into cases from that angle?) I am unsure of any other way to check into this because I doubt WIC could just give out the information about children in that time frame who were getting services? One other avenue could be to check in with local churches, most of the person's I know who are hispanic seem to be Catholic. (IMO...)

First, I always try and check to see if this little boy has been identified because I too lived in Carol Stream when this little angel was found. (Dena-since you are familar with the area I lived in Klein creek condos over on Gary ave) Where I lived we did have at least 5 units that would have an increase in tennants come march and decrease in october. The one above me as a matter of fact.

Second people from the philippines are classified as west pacific asians. (however I know one family that if you did not know where they immigrated from would would think they were hispanic)

Third-faded Glory clothing does not seem to be consistant in sizing. One shirt that is a 2T may fit a child that is 4 or 5, and another style shirt that is a 2T may not fit even the most petite two year old. ( I have a two year old son and some of his walmart stuff labeled 2T is still too big and some has already been packed away) It would be much easier to assess this childs age if we had the measurements of the clothing.

Fourth-My hubby is the operations manager of a landscaping company. He employs several migrant workers. (all legal-and believe me immigrationg does check. They pull up with a bus first thing in the morning and check everyones paperwork-No papers=a bus ride home to mexico and a hefty fine for the company. Not to mention losing a day or mores work) He told me this morning that his "guys" that come seasonally from mexico alway stay with family. He has been in this business for 25 years and can not remember one guy that rented his own place. He says that the reason they stay with family is because they are trying to save on expenses. In other words it would not be worth it to migrate, if they had to pay to rent thier own place. They want to save the money they make to be able to make it thru the winter and to send home to other relatives.

Thanks gidget641- you answered two of my questions. Also, I agree with you on the sizing of the clothing, not just with the brand mentioned, many sizes are inconsistent among the different labels, IMO.

I did hear back from the detective on this case. It is not Angel. Angel was found to be living in Mexico with his sister and parents.

I agree with the Faded Glory sizes. Actually, my son mostly wears 2 & 3T right now, but he still has a pair of 24 months that fit him good - they are Faded Glory. The sizes are definitely screwy.

I live in the immediate area too, although a bit east and north of Naperville. My opinion, seeing many 1st generation immigrants in this area, is that many of them do not send their children to daycare or preschool. I see many families with either two families living in a home or extended family and a grandparent stays home to take care of the children, or the men in the household work two jobs leaving early in the morning and returning around 11 pm while the females stay home to care for the children. Also, my son attends daycare in the area and I pay 198.00 per week for dc. I'm not sure how easy it is to get dc assistance, but think those dc providers in the area which do accept assistance might be a good place to search. He may not have been noticed missing if his parents or family said they were moving out of the area. I think it would be difficult for an immigrant family to afford the cost of dc in this area without assistance. jmo tho......

I wonder if the parents or relatives of this little boy received WIC services (woman, infant and children ). That might be an avenue to search, but not sure how...... and if WIC workers did recognize him what kind of records they may have to remember a name.

That was what I was trying to figure out. Our current daycare is $200 a week, which is not considered expensive for daycare, but average. When he starts preschool in August, we're still looking at $160 a week for before and after care, plus the annual registration fee ($1500) for preschool. Some of the Montessouri schools I looked into were $250/wk and up. I don't know if that's considered the same as a private school.
The average in the area for an unlicensed in home provider is about $135-$175 / wk. They wouldn't require any paperwork. It seems more likely the route that a migrant worker would go.

It is possible that the clothing, if it is in fact a school uniform, could have been purchased second-hand at a thrift store, not so much for a uniform, just as clothing. If his parents are migrants/migrant workers, money for clothing would be an issue. As far as daycare goes, some areas provide head start centers for the children of migrant workers and the ones around here do not require uniforms. Just a thought. You guys are doing amazing work on here.

I have a feeling that this is probably just "clothing" and not a uniform. It's my opinion from looking that here in the midwest that most kids do not wear uniforms, especially before kindergarten. Also, if the baby was being "hidden" in death I am sure that a uniform would have been removed (or at least, you would think).
What a pacific islander heritage? that is an interesting statement. that population is steadily growing, that is for sure!

Deidre

Dena, have you any updates on this boy? I have looked through the missing children website(s) and haven't been able to find any more cases that seem to match in time, age, etc...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid
Back