IL IL - Erica Thompson, 53, Brookfield, 25 Sep 2019 *endangered*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yep!

Tuesday, November 5th, 2019 12:38 PM
“[SBM]

Ed Marcin, who lived in the Hollywood section of Brookfield for 63 years before moving to northwest Indiana two years ago, reached out to Police Chief Edward Petrak recently, offering to place a missing person display featuring Thompson's photo and a phone number to report information on billboards along expressways and major streets throughout the Chicago suburbs.

‘We created something very simple, so it will be easy to understand as people pass the digital signs,’ said Marcin. ‘We hope this helps the Brookfield Police Department find Erica.’
[SBM]

According to police, the last time the 53-year-old Thompson was definitively seen in Brookfield was on Sept. 25. Police also say her phone traveled from Brookfield to other communities, including Countryside, Hodgkins, McCook, Forest View, Summit and the Bridgeview area during the early morning hours of Sept. 26.
[SBM]

According to Marcin, the missing person messages will be displayed at varying times when advertising space is available on billboards as far northwest as Wadsworth, near the Wisconsin border, as far west as Villa Park, as far southwest as Joliet and as far south as Lynwood.

‘These can run system-wide where there's availability,’ said Marcin.

The message was already in rotation as of Nov. 1, according to Marcin, on a billboard on the north side of I-55 just east of LaGrange Road in Hodgkins, one of the places where Thompson's phone traveled to the morning after she was last seen.

[SBM]” (BBM)
View attachment 213874
Billboards to display info on missing Brookfield woman
God bless Ed Marcin! What a wonderful thing for him to do. Hope more tips come in because of it. Bump for Erica!

NOV 30, 2019
Family searches for missing Brookfield woman who disappeared 2 months ago
A family is canvassing a southwestern suburb where a 53-year-old woman was last seen before she disappeared two months ago.

[…]

Her family said they're heartbroken but they refuse to give up hope.

Thompson's family members and friends teamed up with a group of volunteers Saturday morning. They met at Veterans Memorial Circle on Maple and Washington Streets in Brookfield.

The group went door to door, distributing flyers in hopes of uncovering a new lead.

[…]

"We need your help. We need your help to tell anything you know about what could've or did happen to Erica," said George McDade of the Cook County Crime Stoppers.

Relatives remain concerned because they say she lived alone and was afraid of a boyfriend she was trying to break up with.

"We're investigating this in every angle possible," said Brookfield Deputy Police Chief Michael Kuruvilla.

[…]

Erica was added to NAMUS: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact September 25, 2019
NamUs Case Created December 13, 2019
Last Known Location Map
Location Brookfield, Illinois 60513
Cook County

Circumstances of Disappearance
The missing person was last seen on video on 10/25/2019 in the Brookfield, Illinois area. She then disappeared without a trace. All of Illinois and the surrounding southern states are possible places of interest.

Just a note on the A.C. being on full blast when she was reported missing on October 1. I remember really warm temps a couple of days early in the month and checked the historical Brookfield weather. We had a high of 88 the day her home was found empty. With the back door being open, in my opinion, the ac likely just cycled on full due to the increase in house temperature.

This
A little more info from sleuthing. I won't post her address but I verified it through the local white pages. It's a nice neighborhood of single-family homes. It is pretty far away from the major thoroughfares through the village (Ogden Avenue and Hwy 55) that takes you in or away from the city. If someone planned to commit a crime and then flee the city, her neighborhood would NOT be one I'd pick as far as ease of getting to the freeways. (we have what my husband and I call "the traffic circle from hell" about a block southeast of her house - lots of congestion and accidents there as there are SIX streets (12 if you count both directions) that access it. Not a place to make a quick getaway unless you are local and know the little back roads to take to get out to Ogden or Hwy 55). Google Maps

The phone was pinged in Missouri obviously someone hopped on 55. Lyons has a very high crime rate and neighbor’s Brookfield. Ever been to Phil’s in Brookfield, there’s a whole seedy element to Brookfield you rarely hear about. Same with Brixies. Junkies and users. I hope she turns up. Very suspicious and alarming signs surrounding this disappearance.

Why the air on full blast?
Anyone who watches forensic files, it’s a technique used sometimes by a killer to throw off the time of death, delay decay. With that much time, it’s seems someone could have waited to move a body, at night.

I wish I knew how to share Google map trips on here......

I mapped out all the places mentioned in order that they were listed and the trip was surprisingly short despite many places being listed and despite my napping out the trip in the order that they were listed vs order that might be quickest or make the most sense geographically. Less than 1 hr from Brookfield to the "final destination" of Bridgeview and all the other places in between. I believe it was about 20 miles for the trip. (Again really wish I knew how to save and share that map info)
I live and work close to those areas they’re all very close and generally populated areas right outside of Chicago connected by Ogden ave, Harlem and Lagrange rd all major roads and the highway I-55. Some of these seems like areas you could drive around to dump a body IMO.

According to police, Thompson was last seen on video at about 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 25, making a bank deposit in Brookfield. Cellular data indicates that during the early morning hours of the following day, Sept. 26, the cellphone travels from Brookfield to other communities, including Countryside, Hodgkins, McCook, Forest View, Summit and the Bridgeview area.

I live in Berwyn, which is literally right by Brookfield; I am intimately familiar with all of the towns listed above, through which her cellphone pinged. It's very, very strange - I mean, some of those areas (like Summit, McCook, Forest View, and Bridgeview) leave me quite confused - other than having a friend in those places or specific business they'd kind of be odd destinations... The things that concern me are that Forest View and Summit border the Sanitary and Ship Canal (a massive, filthy waterway used by barges transporting iron ore and coal; it's sometimes used as an overflow for sewerage when the Deep Tunnels are full). McCook borders the DesPlaines River, and in general has a lot of abandoned industrial structures and prairie, along with a major -huge- quarry. Hodgkins also backs up to the DesPlaines River, has a huge strip mall, and has a number of heavily forested areas... Bridgeview is a working-class community, very, very populated - houses next to one another, and a diverse population ethnically. I mean, I grew up here and other than going to Summit for a burrito as big as your head at one of the Mexican restaurants there and going to Walmart in Hodgkins I've seldom had reason to visit those other areas.

Sanitary and Ship Canal (roughly 30' deep-50' deep in places)
images
I commented seems like someone who knows areas, looking to hide or dump something.

I commented seems like someone who knows areas, looking to hide or dump something.
This

The phone was pinged in Missouri obviously someone hopped on 55. Lyons has a very high crime rate and neighbor’s Brookfield. Ever been to Phil’s in Brookfield, there’s a whole seedy element to Brookfield you rarely hear about. Same with Brixies. Junkies and users. I hope she turns up. Very suspicious and alarming signs surrounding this disappearance.
I agree that sometimes you get a rough crowd out of some of the bars. (though Irish Times is nice and we go there in the seasons where it's nice enough to walk over). Neighbor's a few houses away from us had someone drunk on foot coming out of one of the bars on Ogden, cut down the alley coming home, thinking he was at his house and tried to break down their back door thinking he'd been locked out. Cops showed up quickly though and sorted him out. I don't think she was harmed by someone coming out of one of the bars but likely someone she knew who she opened the door to. Still hoping for some closure for her family. Just seeing her posters around town after all this time is heartbreaking.

Last edited:
I agree that sometimes you get a rough crowd out of some of the bars. (though Irish Times is nice and we go there in the seasons where it's nice enough to walk over). Our neighbor had someone drunk on foot coming out of one of the bars on Ogden, cut down the alley coming home, thinking he was at his house and tried to break down one of the neighbor's back door thinking he'd been locked out. Cops showed up quickly though and sorted him out. I don't think she was harmed by someone coming out of one of the bars but likely someone she knew who she opened the door to. Still hoping for some closure for her family. Just seeing her posters around town after all this time is heartbreaking.
Most likely it was someone she knew. Just saying wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was one of the local scumbags at the local dive bars.

Anyone who watches forensic files, it’s a technique used sometimes by a killer to throw off the time of death, delay decay. With that much time, it’s seems someone could have waited to move a body, at night.
With the door open? If a perp was blasting air for that reason I doubt they’d leave the door open. JMO

With the door open? If a perp was blasting air for that reason I doubt they’d leave the door open. JMO
I think the air was blasting because the door was left open unintentionally. If you can find her home (I won't post it but I know where she lives), there is a gated fenced yard (tall privacy fence) with parking from an alley that would make moving a person or vehicle out of sight of others pretty easy. With the outer gate closed neighbors would not have known the back door was open. If there is no body in the house, using temp to offset the time of death has no bearing on the case. so I think it wasn't intentional. You have to have remains to ascertain the time of death.

Last edited:
Yep. Say something happened earlier in the week. The perp would have time to comeback and move a body. In doing so if you’re moving something that big out the door you’re not gonna worry about closing a door or cleaning up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back