Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just ran across this. Can someone offer an opinion on how Pantagraph would have obtained these emails? Read the documents: LaSalle County emails give insight into Jelani Day investigation | Local News | pantagraph.com

ETA: Just read it was from FOIA they were able to obtain.
Nothing about the supposedly found phone. The last date on the emails IIRcorrtctly is Ocober 13. I thought his mother said the phone was found on Oct. 11th. and she found out about it on Nov. 17. Maybe LE didn't want to disclose this, which is understandable at this point. Although I am on an earlier thread so possibly by the time I get to the last page of posts which at this time is page 18 I will find that it is true, maybe not. I will see on pg.18

Nothing about the supposedly found phone. The last date on the emails IIRcorrtctly is Ocober 13. I thought his mother said the phone was found on Oct. 11th. and she found out about it on Nov. 17. Maybe LE didn't want to disclose this, which is understandable at this point. Although I am on an earlier thread so possibly by the time I get to the last page of posts which at this time is page 18 I will find that it is true, maybe not. I will see on pg.18
Not sure what your reply to me means. My post was simply asking for an opinion on how this news organization was able to get access to the emails. I didn’t say anything about a found phone.

Not sure what your reply to me means. My post was simply asking for an opinion on how this news organization was able to get access to the emails. I didn’t say anything about a found phone.
I know but, it just made me wonder about the date of the last email and what the mother said in a previous interview about when she says she found out from LE Jelani's phone had been found. Its not mentioned in the emails at all as someone mentioned that the list of wht had been sent by LaSalle LE wasn't on any of the emails.

^^rsbm

JD was not a runaway, a druggie, homeless, or hitchhiking (high-risk crime victims).

JD also didn't reside, work, or attend school in a socially disorganized high-crime area where he had a great risk of coming into contact with criminal offenders, irrespective of his own behavior or lifestyle (i.e., major theories of victimology).

Is there a history of individuals being kidnapped and/or highjacked from the Beyond Hello Dispensary near ISU and forced to drive 60 miles to Peru?

So what made JD the target of an alleged offender that did not fatally wound or injure him, damage his vehicle, or steal anything from him including his vehicle or clothes before putting him in the river? JD was allegedly a great swimmer -- why didn't he save himself after being forced into the water?

And what would be the motive for an offender to toss his phone (worth at least $80 at Walmart Kiosk), remove his tags, and scatter his ID and clothes near the river after drowning him?

Why? What's the motive? Because JD wouldn't share his weed purchase?
I'm repeating this from an earlier post but, Jelani did work at a clinic that was counselling families and individuals who had addiction issues and some were previously incarcerated so Jelani being a kind hearted man may have decided to help someone outside of the counselling clinic and thought he would be safe helping the person in his empathy. recently before his death. As for the phone sometimes people are desperate for cash so even with being ID'd. However, at the same time the phone could have been actually found at another location with unsavoury individuals and is now therefore a witness to to a criminal even or connection. Maybe the finder was afraid because of he Social media mess that is plaguing this case or afraid of being a witness to a criminal connection or event. Scary stuff.

IMO, I'd say the last MSM (Dec 13) speaks volumes about this case.

The task force -- including FBI-- provided how "Investigators believe the full cooperation of the public and Day’s close contacts may be key to understanding the facts and circumstances surrounding Day’s death," the FBI wrote.

And The mother of Jelani Day, the Illinois State University graduate student who went missing and was later found dead in the Illinois River, said the FBI's new reward for information "is a publicity stunt."

Jelani Day's Mother Calls FBI Reward, Social Media Campaign ‘a Publicity Stunt'

yes, the wording does speak volumes. I doubt jelani ever spoke about wanting to commit suicide…and I say that since my bestie that killed herself NEVER gave any clues that she had the potential to do it. BUT, she did show signs of being mental… making bad decisions…Impulsive decisions…getting herself into trouble with the law at times. All of these things can be seen with jelani too. The answer is there…I don’t think we have a mysterious murderer out there.

IMO, I'd say the last MSM (Dec 13) speaks volumes about this case.

The task force -- including FBI-- provided how "Investigators believe the full cooperation of the public and Day’s close contacts may be key to understanding the facts and circumstances surrounding Day’s death," the FBI wrote.

And The mother of Jelani Day, the Illinois State University graduate student who went missing and was later found dead in the Illinois River, said the FBI's new reward for information "is a publicity stunt."

Jelani Day's Mother Calls FBI Reward, Social Media Campaign ‘a Publicity Stunt'
Jelani and his mom/sister were very close. Took multiple trips together, spoke several times a day. She doesn’t know who his best friend is or who he would hang out with?

My parents live several states away and they can tell you my three best friends names plus a few of my coworkers. Maybe he didn’t share that part of his life with his family for some reason. I’m not on FB so I don’t know if Jelani has pictures showing his close contacts.
JMO

I'm repeating this from an earlier post but, Jelani did work at a clinic that was counselling families and individuals who had addiction issues and some were previously incarcerated so Jelani being a kind hearted man may have decided to help someone outside of the counselling clinic and thought he would be safe helping the person in his empathy. recently before his death. As for the phone sometimes people are desperate for cash so even with being ID'd. However, at the same time the phone could have been actually found at another location with unsavoury individuals and is now therefore a witness to to a criminal even or connection. Maybe the finder was afraid because of he Social media mess that is plaguing this case or afraid of being a witness to a criminal connection or event. Scary stuff.
Jelani was working at the clinic while in grad school? I didn’t think he had been employed at the clinic for a year or two.
Perhaps he kept in touch with someone?

Can’t remember if Jelani had a LinkedIn page showing his work history?

Jelani was working at the clinic while in grad school? I didn’t think he had been employed at the clinic for a year or two.
Perhaps he kept in touch with someone?

Can’t remember if Jelani had a LinkedIn page showing his work history?
That's what I was thinking. Jelani may have been helping someone or helping some people. He may have come into contact with them after he worked at the clinic until recently before he died or even perhaps on the day he died. MOO.

yes, the wording does speak volumes. I doubt jelani ever spoke about wanting to commit suicide…and I say that since my bestie that killed herself NEVER gave any clues that she had the potential to do it. BUT, she did show signs of being mental… making bad decisions…Impulsive decisions…getting herself into trouble with the law at times. All of these things can be seen with jelani too. The answer is there…I don’t think we have a mysterious murderer out there.
Its important to keep an open mind IMO because a combination of things could have happened, its not just one way or the other. He could have come across someone who he was helping and that individual or individuals hurt him. Its's easy to be swayed by the family's comments but they are in their own sorrow and grief so its better to look at what LE says and releases. I'm not going to judge the family because this very difficult for them. We are not in their position and niether do we ever want to be. Social media can be a monster. That's why WebSleuths is fact based. I hope if the phone was found then I hope LE has some good solid info from that. Its a travesty to not consider all aspects because anything could have happened. He could have also had a psychotic episode from what he bought at the cannabis shop. That's just his body reacting to something physically. Or perhaps because of his kindness he let someone or people get close to him who he was helping and they did something to him. MOO.

Last edited:
{RSSM}

The circumstances are quite different - most of the victims linked to this "smiley face serial killer" theory were last seen at a bar or a house, at night, after drinking or leaving a party; the LE conclusion was that they had accidentally drowned. JJ disappeared in the morning, had things scheduled for the day (meeting + class), and was not last seen at a bar or at a house party.
That's correct but the circumstances can be different. Its not always the victim will be in these circumstances. If the Smiley Face Killer(s) theory is correct which I think is possible its very sophisticated with one aim which is death of the victim.

That's correct but the circumstances can be different. Its not always the victim will be in these circumstances. If the Smiley Face Killer(s) theory is correct which I think is possible its very sophisticated with one aim which is death of the victim.
Just out of curiosity, are u a friend or family member of jelani?

I personally don’t think there is a ‘smiley face killer’. I think it was a way to connect dots that weren’t meant to be connected. Having lived near a body of water most of my life, it’s not uncommon for drownings to occur. I know of several people in my life that have drowned. Some were very good swimmers. For this reason, I am very nervous to be in the river, or have my young family members in the river.

I personally don’t think there is a ‘smiley face killer’. I think it was a way to connect dots that weren’t meant to be connected. Having lived near a body of water most of my life, it’s not uncommon for drownings to occur. I know of several people in my life that have drowned. Some were very good swimmers. For this reason, I am very nervous to be in the river, or have my young family members in the river.
That's a good idea for safety reasons I agree on that. But, its not a matter of believing though, there are some circumstances which are a criminals dream, where they will not get caught. So its not a matter of connecting the dots either. Its a very serious concern especially for the families of the victims, if they suspect something is not right then they have a right to that opinion. A criminal does not want to get caught that's the concern. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is guilty and they are creating tension for the family on Social media either by egging them on or at the opposite end. Either way it ends up convoluting the whole situation. Easier for the guilty party/s. MOO.

Just out of curiosity, are u a friend or family member of jelani?
No I'm not. I am a member of WebSleuth's who is interested in cases where there is an ambiguouos set of circumstances. Meaning that anything could have happened and the focus is entirely on what evidence there is and what the facts are. This one IMO is such.

No I'm not. I am a member of WebSleuth's who is interested in cases where there is an ambiguouos set of circumstances. Meaning that anything could have happened and the focus is entirely on what evidence there is and what the facts are. This one IMO is such.

That's a good idea for safety reasons I agree on that. But, its not a matter of believing though, there are some circumstances which are a criminals dream, where they will not get caught. So its not a matter of connecting the dots either. Its a very serious concern especially for the families of the victims, if they suspect something is not right then they have a right to that opinion. A criminal does not want to get caught that's the concern. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is guilty and they are creating tension for the family on Social media either by egging them on or at the opposite end. Either way it ends up convoluting the whole situation. Easier for the guilty party/s. MOO.

Why Three Investigators Blame a Rash of Drowning Deaths on a Gang of Killers

The study also raises concerns about the smiley-face graffiti, as photographs of the graffiti show variation in style, size, and timing, including some that appear to have been painted long before the deaths occurred. Researchers point to a lack of consistency in terms of locating the graffiti; since authorities are only able to estimate where a body would have gone into the water, it is not possible to know exactly where the smiley-face graffiti should be located to fit the pattern. “Saying graffiti was found near the scenes is dubious at best,” says Canadian criminologist, author, and true-crime expert Michael Arntfield. “In most of these cases, we don’t know where the men went into the water or where they actually died.” Additionally, research conducted by Arntfield’s own students found that a smiley face was the most common non-gang graffiti tag in the U.S. national database. “You can find, in any city, a smiley-face graffiti tag somewhere along the water,” Arntfield says.

Why Three Investigators Blame a Rash of Drowning Deaths on a Gang of Killers

The study also raises concerns about the smiley-face graffiti, as photographs of the graffiti show variation in style, size, and timing, including some that appear to have been painted long before the deaths occurred. Researchers point to a lack of consistency in terms of locating the graffiti; since authorities are only able to estimate where a body would have gone into the water, it is not possible to know exactly where the smiley-face graffiti should be located to fit the pattern. “Saying graffiti was found near the scenes is dubious at best,” says Canadian criminologist, author, and true-crime expert Michael Arntfield. “In most of these cases, we don’t know where the men went into the water or where they actually died.” Additionally, research conducted by Arntfield’s own students found that a smiley face was the most common non-gang graffiti tag in the U.S. national database. “You can find, in any city, a smiley-face graffiti tag somewhere along the water,” Arntfield says.
I don't disagree with what Arntfield is saying. But the reality is the circumstances first of all and look at what happens in cases of trafficking for example, on the the internet in particular the Darkweb. Its a group of people not wanting the truth to come out because they don't want to get caught. Even if the graffiti of the Smiley Face was old it was in the vicinity (vicinity can be any distance to the discovery of the body even just the general area). I'm not saying this is what happened but there is perhaps an estimation on the criminal's part where the floating body would be seen to the public.

A never credible and debunked serial killer theory for accidental deaths is still getting attention? Do we not have enough actual serial killer cases to entertain our brains? Not to mention fictional movies and series? "Smiley Face" movie doesn't even compare to Dexter and You.
Yes, there are real-life victims of serial killers that have not been detected/linked, but sometimes the theorists and conspiracy advocates are really reaching, not looking at each case individually.
Be a devil's advocate, focus on facts, logic, and Occam's razor.
Edit to add, In my opinion, the discussion of "Smiley Face", if continued, should be moved to another thread.
But when circumstances are ambiguous in a case that's what it is. As a result anything could have happened, Its not necessary for the victim to be victimized by a serial killer/s. One killer who does not want to get caught will conduct themselves in that manner and that is to not leave a trace behind of their killing.

But when circumstances are ambiguous in a case that's what it is. As a result anything could have happened, Its not necessary for the victim to be victimized by a serial killer/s. One killer who does not want to get caught will conduct themselves in that manner and that is to not leave a trace behind of their killing.
The smiley face killer is a conspiracy theory. I think there is a smiley face thread somewhere on websleuths if u r interested.

I agree to retire this. I read the linked articles. Whether you support the smiley face theory or not, this has little in common with the alleged patterns, other than Jelani was college age and his body was found in a river. He's not white, Peru is not a college town, the incident didn't seem to happen at night, there's no evidence yet of alcohol intoxication, bars, etc. And most, or least, important is the lack of a smiley face graffiti symbol.

The smiley face killer is a conspiracy theory. I think there is a smiley face thread somewhere on websleuths if u r interested.
It maybe a conspiracy theory but its still plausable. So I wouldn't discount it. But as far as Jelani's case is concerned anything could have happened as I've mentioned before. A psychotic episode could've occurred like an adverse reaction to the cannabis for the first time and the last time in this case. Not blaming the cannabis store in any manner. Even though they followed regulation according to state and federal law that doesn't mean that an individual won't become ill to the cannabis itself in an adverse reaction by that person's body (natural reaction that can't be stopped no matter what precaution). Jelani could've been helping someone and either an accident happened during the time he was helping that individual/s and a cover up happened by the person/s who got scared. Or it was deliberate. I think Jelani due to his nature as a caring person let an individual/s get close to him who hurt him either because they were jealous of his success or wanted to rob him possibly of what I don't know. Or just for the heck of it because it made them happy to off a decent person because the perp is a peice of s_ _t.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back