GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever had your monthly friend come to visit after 9PM with no products in the house or forgot to get coffee for in the morning? I agree with others, a hundred reasons you would need to run out to get something you forgot earlier. Not like it was 2AM, lol.

I think we are getting stuck on that part. The part that is out isn't the going out but the going out and her husband not reporting her missing till the next morning if she was supposed to come home. That said phone records will let us know if there is anything weird with his story. If he called her during the time she was gone or not.

I still don't understand this "errands" business. That's vague language. Going to the post office is an errand. Going to the grocery isn't an errand. It's going to the grocery store. Why can't they be more specific? Why all the mystery?

I still don't understand this "errands" business. That's vague language. Going to the post office is an errand. Going to the grocery isn't an errand. It's going to the grocery store. Why can't they be more specific? Why all the mystery?

She could have been vague about where she was going. Don't know it seems weird.

That info will probably tip off the perp as to what they know?

Unless the husband only knows that it was an "errand" so that is all he's told the cops.

It seems like stuff is just randomly scattered around the area. Certainly, a robbery or carjacking sort of deal isn't going to lead to junk being scattered around. Someone is trying to mislead the police. It reminds me of the Ridgeway case and the back pack.

Sounds like the family suspects someone. Wonder if she was already dating someone else. Anyone to find out the address she was staying at and who was the "friend" that owned the place? Male or female?

:countsheep::offtobed::offtobed::bedtime::bedtime:

sorry for some of the random posts up here. I thought I was downstairs....

Is there any more clarification on the husband's statement about her running the 9pm errand? I agree that it's so vague-she was out shopping, came to his residence (her former home), then went out again to run an errand at 9pm. Did she call or text any friends after 9 to indicate what she was doing? I personally ran out for cough syrup at 9pm a couple of weeks ago, so running an errand at 9 pm is not that unusual IMO. What's unusual is the lack of detail, unless it's purposely being with held by LE. I think LE may be holding some things back, and that's why it seems so mysterious.

We can probably narrow this down to a few possibilities....

1. A crime of opportunity. Someone grabbed her during her errands and forced her into her own car. Someone not known to her attacked her, killed her and tried to cover things up. If that's the case, why would he leave so much mess around the crime scene...like the purse in the road, the phone by the street, etc.?

2. A crime of passion. Someone known to Katrina hurt her...and hid it. It could have been planned or spur of the moment. This person is probably not an expert killer...they are probably panicked. Because of their panic, they left clues...the purse, the phone, the paper towels. If this is the case, maybe LE has something that will lead us to him. If the killer had planned this out, maybe they staged the scene near the car.

3. Suicide. I'm not seeing it in this case.

4. Accident of some kind while out doing errands. Once again, not seeing that here.

I am feeling #2. But that's just me...

IMO, it is not odd to run an errand at 9pm or later. Occasionally, I am out running errands and make a stop home to drop something off that my spouse needs immediately, then go back out and finish doing whatever it was I needed to do. I do realize that they are separated, but they still have a joint household. So, perhaps this is what she did.

In the scheme of things, 9pm is really not that late, even considering work the next day. Many people I know get to bed between 11 and 12ish...

The person who runs the Find Katrina site has posted 2 times in the last two days that if you want to look somewhere do it but don't post about it on the thread because the person responsible may be watching. 2 times in 2 days. They suspect someone I'm sure of it and it's most likely not someone random. They also said that just because some of her things were found on 173 that doesn't mean they think that she is in the area. Wondering about that apartment she lived at. Hope the phone records have some good information.

IMO, it is not odd to run an errand at 9pm or later. Occasionally, I am out running errands and make a stop home to drop something off that my spouse needs immediately, then go back out and finish doing whatever it was I needed to do. I do realize that they are separated, but they still have a joint household. So, perhaps this is what she did.

In the scheme of things, 9pm is really not that late, even considering work the next day. Many people I know get to bed between 11 and 12ish...

I agree with you, especially these days when some places are open 24/7.

Here's the thing the step-daugther and also the person in charge of the Find site has mentioned 2 times in 2 days that people can search anywhere but don't mention it on the site as they think the killer is watching it/participating in the website. Also it no longer seems like a car jacking with her personal belongings all over the city. They also feel that the stuff on 173 is a diversionary tactic. This tells me it was a crime of passion and a coverup. Not a random carjacking. That causes us to need to look into motive and opportunity.

Here's the thing the step-daugther and also the person in charge of the Find site has mentioned 2 times in 2 days that people can search anywhere but don't mention it on the site as they think the killer is watching it/participating in the website. Also it no longer seems like a car jacking with her personal belongings all over the city. They also feel that the stuff on 173 is a diversionary tactic. This tells me it was a crime of passion and a coverup. Not a random carjacking. That causes us to need to look into motive and opportunity.

I noticed that too. Admin of the site (who is her friend since 4th grade) also said she has her 'feelings' about it too, so I'm guessing she doesn't feel what happened was a random act.

Someone has commented on the location the wallet was found, intimating it had been dropped at that spot more recently and was not contemporary with the disappearance of Katrina because it would have been picked up and spirited away long before now.

It makes it sound as though they are dealing with someone who likes playing games....

I wouldn't say it was someone that likes to play games just someone who is trying to confuse the investigation so there is no recognizable pattern. If someone's personal belongs are all over the place then searchers don't know where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel