IL - Krystal Tobias, 9, & Laura Hobbs, 8, found dead in Zion park, 8 May 2005 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The time that this goober spent in prison was probably the most peaceful this child had ever known. Imagine having him show up one day to start making your life hell again. I just have to wonder if he went into this wooded area to buy drugs, she saw him and threaten to tell to get him sent away again and he snapped.

One other thing, if he is recently out of prison, he's not supposed to have a weapon, correct? But couldn't he be smart enough to carry a potato knife that is small enough to be hidden? I just don't see Goober leaving home without some sort of protection.

I'd wonder if there is any history with social services concerning this child and suspected abuse.

BTW, Mom was chased by Goober with a chain saw. But she doesn't see the need to intervene when he blows up about her letting the child off restriction early and storms off to go find the child? I don't buy it. What did she think, "Oh, it's just a knife this time, not a chain saw!"
:banghead:

golfmom said:
I seriously believe that he stabbed her eyes not because of what SHE saw, but what HE saw reflected in her eyes.
I agree...what a cold-hearted, sociopath, psychopath, low life, alien creature...there will never be rehabilitation for him...get it OVER with now....IMO

I cannot believe that Laura's mother is standing behind him...what is wrong with her...unless the reflection (blame) inward is too painful at this time...I don't understand....how could she put her entire family (including her parents) in SUCH JEOPARDY.....!!

I'm outraged and sick!! Yes, Jersey Girl, one of the worst crimes I've heard of too but I believe we are going to hear of more of these in the future possibly even becoming more bizarre as time goes on....IMO society today has far too many problems with drugs, alcohol, AND rampant irresponsibilities among people today....everyone seems to want to take the "easy" way out....doesn't work that way, not in my experience ......

On Greta just now, the DA says that one of the family members had suspicions about Hobbs after they found the bodies Monday morn. That family member said that Hobbs didn't get within 10 foot of the bodies that morning and yet he was able to relate some of the conditions of the bodies that only someone that had been up close would have seen. So my guess is that came from grandpa...he was there and wittnessed how close hobbs was to the bodies....however he has maintained that hobbs has been railroaded to the media. And the family member says that hobbs seemed to know just where to go to find them...an unlikely place to search randomly....makes ya wanna go hmmmmmmmmm....

golfmom said:
I seriously believe that he stabbed her eyes not because of what SHE saw, but what HE saw reflected in her eyes.
That might be but from what we've been hearing about him, I think that that would be giving him too much credit. I don't think that he's capable of introspection. I think that he works completely off of impulse and instinct; nothing more. He doesn't seem to have compassion or conscience or anything to balance out his reactions. I suspect that the few weeks that he's been back have been very tough on everyone, and that he and his daughter might possibly have been butting heads. It would be a completely normal thing to happen in their circumstances yet his reactions to situations have proven in the past to be excessive and irrational. He's an animal. I don't know if counseling would even ever help him. The death penalty was created for perpetrators like him. (I feel like I've been saying that constantly lately. :( )

Also on Greta....DA says they think they have some evidence taken from the house that connects hobbs with the crime but will have to wait till evidence comes back from the lab.

wow...janye wientraub must have had a little work on her face....extreme make over!!

I can't get over that he only stabbed his daughters eyes. I believe this has some pretty big significants.

joanofarc said:
...IMO society today has far too many problems with drugs, alcohol, AND rampant irresponsibilities among people today....everyone seems to want to take the "easy" way out....doesn't work that way, not in my experience ......

That is correct! I can't say it enough, if the idiots who handled his cases before had any brains in their heads, they would have been able to conclude that this guy could not function in society. People are tossed aside and then things like this happens. If this was handled properly from the beginning, this guy would be a) in jail still or b) in a mental institution. There is NO EXCUSE for him going in and out of jail like that, NONE! When is this country going to wake the F up???? God this makes me angry. What did they think this guy was going to be after being in and out of jail and being arrested so many times? Did they think he was going to become a saint?

My prediction: He won't get the DP because they will play up his "hard life." Such a waste. Hopefully he'll kill himself while he's in jail but he sounds too proud and above himself to do that.

My heart grieves for these girls. This mother will live with her stupidity for the rest of her pitiful life.

richandfamous said:
I can't get over that he only stabbed his daughters eyes. I believe this has some pretty big significants.
It certainly could. However, my thought regarding the excessive injuries to his daughter is simply that she was his target. It was overkill because of whatever pent up anger he felt towards her and their family and their situation. I think that the reason that the other child didn't have the same injuries is that he killed her just because she happened to be there. She might have fought for her friend or ticked him off in some other way but I think he killed her mainly out of "necessity" whereas he killed his daughter with a purpose and what his sick mind probably perceives as a reason.

JerseyGirl said:
It certainly could. However, my thought regarding the excessive injuries to his daughter is simply that she was his target. It was overkill because of whatever pent up anger he felt towards her and their family and their situation. I think that the reason that the other child didn't have the same injuries is that he killed her just because she happened to be there. She might have fought for her friend or ticked him off in some other way but I think he killed her mainly out of "necessity" whereas he killed his daughter with a purpose and what his sick mind probably perceives as a reason.

maybe, but I'm really hung up on that act in and of it's self. I see it as a seperate act, almost.

I would be interested to know about his history...before 1990. After all someone named him Jerry Branton Hobbs III as if there was a legacy to carry forward. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that he has a better than average IQ. I know he looks like he is a shoe in for "Quest For Fire" but sometimes that is deceiving. jmo

richandfamous said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that he has a better than average IQ. I know he looks like he is a shoe in for "Quest For Fire" but sometimes that is deceiving. jmo

You could be right on this one. I still think we'll find he has a mental disability. He's not a Ted Bundy. He has some emotional issues as the rage from his past seemed to have always been directed at those closest to him. The stabbing in the eyes thing, that is just pure hate, people like this can't be fixed.

SauerKraut said:
The stabbing in the eyes thing, that is just pure hate, people like this can't be fixed.
I hate to say it but I think your statement is correct. I can't see any possibility of repairing damage that causes someone to perform such evil. I think that once a certain line is crossed, it's almost impossible to teach the humanity and compassion necessary for some people to become at least average members of society. I used to think that any problem could be fixed. I wish that I still felt that way.

KYW Newsradio 1060 - News

... Parents upset about the police response packed a school gymnasium Tuesday night to hear public officials discuss the slayings, the charges and safety in the community.

Segura joined the group but said his mother was distraught over the loss of her daughter: ”She doesn't want to live anymore. She was the family's little girl and now she's dead.”

JerseyGirl said:
KYW Newsradio 1060 - News

... Parents upset about the police response packed a school gymnasium Tuesday night to hear public officials discuss the slayings, the charges and safety in the community.

Segura joined the group but said his mother was distraught over the loss of her daughter: ”She doesn't want to live anymore. She was the family's little girl and now she's dead.”

This is so so tragic. I feel so badly for Krystal's family. The brother is so distraught. I certainly hope justice is served to this guy. They really need to pass a law about allowing parents with this kind of background into their children's lives. It's one thing for the mother to take him back, but purely irresponsible for her to do this to these innocent kids. It's just heart-wrenching.

I just cannot get over him stabbing her in the eyes. That is beyond cruel and the most hateful thing I've heard of in a long time. I just pray to God she was already gone or in shock and was completely unaware of what was happening. The terror these girls went through haunts me.:( :( :(

I've read that quote "parents upset about the police response". ???

Does anyone know what the parents were upset about, exactly, in the police response?

Or was that just a badly worded random string of words that really doesn't make sense?

richandfamous said:
wow...janye wientraub must have had a little work on her face....extreme make over!!

RE: Janey..... God I've been thinking that for weeks. Thanx for stating it. It actually looks TRULY LIKE a DOG BREED but I cannot think of which one! Any guesses????

on the other note: he couldn't stand that his little girl was looking him in the eyes, no doubt crying, while he killed her. He was trying to kill that image in his brain. I can only hope that's all that SOB will ever ever ever ever ever see again EACH AND EVERY TIME HE CLOSES HIS EYES.

:( Poor little babes.

Jeana (DP) said:
Look, I'm the first one who will throw this mother (and any other mother) under the bus when subjecting their kids to ANY violent people, fathers, uncles, what have you. However, if anyone is going to play "devil's advocate" here, I will in this case. While this mother may have done NOTHING right in her relationship with this murderer, I seriously doubt that she thought he would murder her daughter. I personally will give her until after the funeral for the shock to wear off and the anger to set in. If it doesn't, she's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Wow! I am am shocked. I am surprised by this from you. And I agree with you 100%! :clap:

IdahoMom said:
I just cannot get over him stabbing her in the eyes. That is beyond cruel and the most hateful thing I've heard of in a long time. I just pray to God she was already gone or in shock and was completely unaware of what was happening. The terror these girls went through haunts me.:( :( :(

I think the above statement holds true for anyone who knows about this case, IdahaMom. Even the most hardened & weathered of defense attornies have got to find this very act an excruciatingly barbaric and savage one to defend. And not only because the victim was an innocent child of 8 years old ~ but that emotion can only be heightened because Laura was his own daughter.

It's almost akin to defending Lucifer, imo. Sorry ... mine's an equally harsh description of the killer ... but geez, let's face it.

LE must be having a very hard time (emotionally and psychologically) investigating this case right now. They're alot braver and far stronger than me! I'd constantly be weeping behind every closed door! Constantly.

joanofarc said:
It is the amount that bothers me....$40...would probably buy an eighth of "J" or a bottle of booze or case of beer....but for a 8 yr old to steal that amount and not think they would get caught is beyond me....what would they need to steal that amount of money for anyway....$40 worth of candy??....I could see taking a couple of dollars...$5 at the most...but $40....just makes me suspect of the dad....

My son is 9. This coincidentally happened in my home not too long ago. My son knows where my husband and I keep our stash of cash. He helped himself to $20. One day when I went to get some cash and there was none left, he happily offered to "loan" me some. lol... I knew he did not have that kind of money and asked, he finally admitted taking it. My son happens to be a little behind in math and he truely had no concept of how much money that was. So maybe the little girls didnt either. A older child would do like you are saying, take maybe a $5. In 2nd grade they are really just starting to learn value of money, at least in our school they are.

Calimom: Your post re: "The mothers of the two slain girls met for the first time at a memorial..."

That's a very valid oberservation; something that 'flew' right over my head and got lost in the clutter of information that we're hearing!

Exactly. Laura and Krystal were "best friends" and their mothers had never met. Wow. While it's true that both little girls have been referred to as 'popular and well-recognized' in the vicinity, it's pretty amazing their moms had never met. Even 40 odd years ago, when I was that age, my mom never met ALL my best (and or school) friends and their parents ... but she certainly knew the families, addresses and/or the moms of my regular buddies.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member