IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow! That is a miracle she survived!! What a horrific experience that she has to live with now. :(

Wait...She should be able to give a composite!!! Ooooo...the reason they didn't want to divulge she was still alive.

Oh my gosh Taximom I watched that last night also! I had never heard of either before and found the whole thing very disturbing.

I saw it too. It was terrible and what made it even worse was the fact that one of the robbers/killers did it just because he wanted to find out what it would be like to murder someone! My heart sure went out to the owners three daughters that were interviewed.

Wow! That is a miracle she survived!! What a horrific experience that she has to live with now. :(

Wait...She should be able to give a composite!!! Ooooo...the reason they didn't want to divulge she was still alive.

I wonder what time the robbery happened? It seems like anyone robbing a small store like that would wait until close to closing time so the till would have money in it. Most stores don't start out with to much money in the morning. I wonder if he wasn't after an ex of some sort or he had something against bigger women because of an ex or mother...who knows. It will be interesting to hear what the survivor has to say.

I wonder what time the robbery happened? It seems like anyone robbing a small store like that would wait until close to closing time so the till would have money in it. Most stores don't start out with to much money in the morning. I wonder if he wasn't after an ex of some sort or he had something against bigger women because of an ex or mother...who knows. It will be interesting to hear what the survivor has to say.

I believe the robbery took place at around 10:45 am

To rob a store of that type at that time makes no sense to me, especially on a Saturday morning when they would in all likelyhood be the busiest with Saturday morning shoppers. Late at night around closing I could understand but not mid morning on a Saturday! I think there is more to this then we have been led to believe at this point. Hopefully the surviving victim has given LE some information to help them locate this guy. Makes me almost afraid to go to work after hearing about this, so sad and senseless!!! :furious:

This has not made sense to me from the get go as far
as it being an armed robbery gone bad.
I wonder if the sixth victim that survived could have
been who the shooter was really after and she knows
more and can help police and maybe her not being
mentioned till know was a way to either keep her safe
or draw the shooter out, make him a bit careless if
he thought no one survived.
just rambling thoughts.

I am wondering if the robber choose that store because it appears to be more up-scale and he thought he would score a bigger heist? also probably because it is a smaller store that would have less people. The coward also might have figured on it being a womans shop and no MEN there to twart his actions.

very good point!...i hadn't thought of that; it makes sense....you hear of corner markets getting robbed like this, & innocent workers behind the counters shot & killed a lot....this happening at a store like Lane Bryant is odd...& scary!

shops in strip malls are good targets it seems...they'd be easier to escape than inside a huge mall, i would think also...

I used to manage a retail store in a mall. Our storefront was right by the entrance/exit doors to the mall. A couple of guys cased my store at seperate times one day. One came in alone during the morning and the other guy after lunch. They were both way overdressed...nice suits, watches, gold chains, shiny shoes, and they both looked all around for cameras. I was the only employee there at the time. I wrote down their detailed descriptions and reported them to mall security, who snickered at me and said they would keep an eye out for them(wink, wink). I was 21 and looked much younger and being blonde, I was sunk in the area of credibility with those old farts, (I mean seasoned veterans).

I wasn't scheduled to close that night but I switched shifts with my part-timer and sure enough, about fifteen minutes before nine, the men returned together, dressed in jogging attire! One sat down on the bench in front of the store and the other waited just outside the mall entrance.

I called security and walked right up to the front of the store and sat down on the display stage staring straight at them. 10 long minutes later, mall security came strolling slowly around the corner and both men casually stood up and walked out...together. Other stores in the mall were robbed in the following weeks, don't know if they ever got caught.

My point is that IMO, mall security is a bad joke. Retail stores generally operate with as few employees as possible, and are easy targets. I'm guessing Laine Bryant had two employees scheduled to open an a Saturday, and on a weekday it would have been only one. Retail store employees are regularly required to park their car far away from store entrances, making them easy targets for muggers.

Nowadays, crooks want credit card info, not just cash. The who shot these women may have had some other motive too, or maybe he was hyped up on meth or PCP.

I'm a substitute teacher now. All I have to worry about is the kid who tells me stories of "accidentally" putting his pet goldfish in the same bowl as his beta. I'm keeping my eye on him.

Susan

Very early in this thread I said I thought this would be a case of the killer having known one of the victims. Then police said it looked like a robbery gone bad, and I felt stupid for that prediction. Now it looks like the cops are looking into the angle I mentioned, after all:

http://snipurl.com/nydnlanebryant

Very early in this thread I said I thought this would be a case of the killer having known one of the victims. Then police said it looked like a robbery gone bad, and I felt stupid for that prediction. Now it looks like the cops are looking into the angle I mentioned, after all:

[URL]http://snipurl.com/nydnlanebryant
[/URL]

Steve, I haven't seen you be stupid yet, and don't expect to.

From that article:

McFarland, a former nurse at Andrews Air Force Base, was the store's manager. She went to work Saturday but was not scheduled to work, her family told the Chicago-Sun Times.

Hmmm...sounds as if she may have been expecting some kind of trouble. Retail managers don't often have the luxury of a Saturday off work. She must have had a good reason for being there. A woman after my own heart. What a shame her concienciousness may have been her downfall.

Susan

http://snipurl.com/nydnlanebryant
Steve I totally agree with you this is exactly what we have been saying one of the victims knew this guy. I am hoping the 6th women that lived can say whether one of the victims knew this man. It just didn't make since on a busy Saturday morning esp with sales going on in the store that he would go in and kill all these women. The amount of Cash he got was no more then $200. maybe he was after the credit cards who knows here is the latest in the investigation..............
<<Snip>>
6th victim alive, sources say
Woman gives description of Tinley Park gunman

By Tara Malone and David Heinzmann
February 4, 2008
Police omitted one salient fact in their public statements following a shooting Saturday that killed five women at a Tinley Park clothing store: There was a sixth woman shot, and she lived, according to sources.

The woman, a store employee, suffered a graze wound to the neck and was left for dead but made a 911 call during the attack, the sources said.

She was later able to provide police with a description that could soon lead to a sketch of the gunman, the sources said.
Family, friends mourn victims of Tinley Park department store shooting

Tinley Park police on Sunday released the names of the five women killed but otherwise remained extremely tight-lipped about the details of what they called a "robbery gone bad." They did not officially confirm that there was a sixth victim.

They said they were pressing their search for an African-American man about 5 foot 9 and 260 pounds, dressed in black clothing.

Eric Woolfolk, who identified the body of his sister, Connie R. Woolfolk, said she was shot in the head. She also had bruises and her hands had been tied behind her back.

"He might have tortured her," he said. "He couldn't possibly have thought that [store] would be a good place to rob. This person is obviously a sick person."

Eric Woolfolk said authorities told him the gunman had made off with about $200 in cash and some valuables.

"This incident appears to stem from an armed robbery attempt which was interrupted which led to the five murders," Tinley Park Police Chief Michael O'Connell said. Police had previously said the gunman led the five women into the backroom of the store, killed them, then walked out the front door and disappeared.
****MORE AT SITE*****

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-tinley_manhunt_04feb04,0,2490656.story
<<<SNIP>>>>
Family, friends mourn victims of Tinley Park department store shooting

***NOTE*** ~~This is quite detailed about each victim.~~More info about the women who were killed., could one of these women known the attacker murderer??.........
<<<SNIP>>>

The five women came to the suburban clothing store for such ordinary reasons.

One, the mother of a disabled child, wanted to find something nice to wear for a rare girls' night out.

Another needed work clothes for her first post-college job.
One was choosing an outfit to wear at a gathering of old college friends later that night, and yet another was shopping, reportedly while in town with her husband for a conference.

And the final victim, the manager of the Tinley Park Lane Bryant store, came in to help on a busy Saturday, even though she had not been scheduled to be there.

Police on Sunday identified the five women killed in the shopping center shooting a day earlier as Connie R. Woolfolk, 37, of Flossmoor; Jennifer L. Bishop, 34, of South Bend, Ind.; Rhoda McFarland, 42, of Joliet; Sarah Szafranski, 22, of Oak Forest; and Carrie Hudek Chiuso, 33, of Frankfort.

They were five women of different races and walks of life, strangers bound only by an unthinkable fate that brought them to the clothing store within an hour of its opening.

Rhoda McFarland

Store manager Rhoda McFarland knew her employees would be stretched on Saturday after the corporate office last week mailed customers fliers promoting a big $9.99 clearance sale. Rather than force her staff to go it alone, the Joliet woman decided to pitch in.

She showed up for work Saturday morning, a move that would not have surprised her subordinates, former employee Sandra McGhee said. McFarland often popped into the store on her day off to see if she could help behind the register or assist customers on the floor.

"We would laugh and tell her that she should enjoy her time off, but she loved her job and the people she worked with," McGhee said. "She would go the extra mile."
One was choosing an outfit to wear at a gathering of old college friends later that night, and yet another was shopping, reportedly while in town with her husband for a conference.

And the final victim, the manager of the Tinley Park Lane Bryant store, came in to help on a busy Saturday, even though she had not been scheduled to be there.
<<<MORE AT SITE>>>
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-tinleyvictims_04feb04,0,619984.story

Does anyone else think it's strange that there isn't a composite yet? The survivor is in fairly good shape to have been sent home Saturday. I understand LE wanting to keep her name under wraps. But to go so far as to try to insinuate she didn't exist? Is she connected to the shooter? LE keeps saying this is a very sensitive investigation. What do they mean by that?

Does anyone else think it's strange that there isn't a composite yet? The survivor is in fairly good shape to have been sent home Saturday. I understand LE wanting to keep her name under wraps. But to go so far as to try to insinuate she didn't exist? Is she connected to the shooter? LE keeps saying this is a very sensitive investigation. What do they mean by that?

I am wondering the same thing SuzieQ I can't find a composite anywhere? I am hoping that the 6th women is in protective custody also her life could be endanger if it would get out who she is?? Maybe she is the one who knows this man??

I am wondering the same thing SuzieQ I can't find a composite anywhere? I am hoping that the 6th women is in protective custody also her life could be endanger if it would get out who she is?? Maybe she is the one who knows this man??

I was thinking maybe she knew the man, then it occured to me that LE would know who he was. So if she didn't know who he was. The "target" must have addressed him by name or spoke to him out of familiarity. I'm thinking the target would be the manager. As the customers presence wouldn't be necessarily predictable. The POI may be a stupid . IMO, stupid thugs usually don't hunt down survivors.

It's obvious by the bruising on the one victims hands, that more went on than just a robbery. Sick.

Maybe she is scared out of her mind. Can we even imagine the terror she must have felt, probably playing dead, listening to the dying screams of the other women?
She may be physically stable, but it could be that she is too emotionally wrecked to give a detailed, coherent description to a sketch artist. She could also fear retaliation, especially if she is acquainted with the perp or his buddies.

Maybe she is scared out of her mind. Can we even imagine the terror she must have felt, probably playing dead, listening to the dying screams of the other women?
She may be physically stable, but it could be that she is too emotionally wrecked to give a detailed, coherent description to a sketch artist. She could also fear retaliation, especially if she is acquainted with the perp or his buddies.

I would think if the survivor knew him personally, then LE would have a name at least. I bet she is terrified. The POI probably took their wallets with ID's and addresses in them. On second thought, anyone at the victim's addresses might want to be on high alert.

On our ABC news just a few minutes ago they announced that they will have a composite ready late this afternoon or tomorrow mornin I can't imagine How the lady that survived is feeling right about now to witness almost a gangland type massacre right in front of her eyes. She had to play dead in order to survive i can't imagine the Horror she witnesses SO sad. I hope they get the SOB and yes there is a moritorian on the DP here in Illinois but that under these circumstances I beleive it would be lifted!

I will be surprised if it is a domestic situation. I would think they would already have a suspect and his photo would be plastered all over if that were the case.

There have been a few of these situations where an armed robber/robbers herded people to the back of the store, roughed them up, tied them up, and then shot them for very little money or their possessions. There is no real reason other than the robber has no conscience and kills the victims to avoid arrest. Cold hearted and calculated killers' actions don't make sense to normal people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back