IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First post..

This has stuck with me for more than 10 years now. That day I left Matteson IL on RT 30 to Harlem Ave to the Brookside shopping center. I ran into a store, I think it was a pet store. I was in the store for maybe five minutes, got in the car and jumped on I-80.

Strangely we were heading up to Bollingbrook to see where Drew Peterson and Kathleen Savio houses were. On the way back is when we saw all the helicopters and police presence at Brookside shopping center. We changed radio channels and that is when we found out what had happened.

We were just yards away from the crime scene when it was happening and had left just before it was over. I now live just over the border in Indiana. I have racked my brain to see if there is anything I can remember that I may have seen in that parking lot. I research this case all of the time to see if there is anything new. Just can't believe this has not yet been solved.

The thing that keeps bothering me is the time he spent in the store, over 40 minutes. Robbers are typically in and out. I really think he was waiting around for someone. True Crime Garage says the store manager was not suppose to work that day but due to a store promotion came in. I know, because my mom has always worked in this type of retail situation that there is always more than 1 employee in the store at a time, never is there only 1 employee. We know that there was an assistant manager known as "Martha". So if Martha was scheduled to work and the store manager showed up only to help out with the promotion who was the other employee scheduled to work that day? Was the killer waiting for that employee to show up?

I have not been able to find this out, but if someone can answer this question: Did the killer or an employee lock the door after the last 2 shoppers entered the store and were herded to the back room or was the door unlocked. Is there any information that customers were walking into the store finding no one at the counter (because they were all in the back room) and left?

Last edited:
First post..

This has stuck with me for more than 10 years now. That day I left Matteson IL on RT 30 to Harlem Ave to the Brookside shopping center. I ran into a store, I think it was a pet store. I was in the store for maybe five minutes, got in the car and jumped on I-80.

Strangely we were heading up to Bollingbrook to see where Drew Peterson and Kathleen Savio houses were. On the way back is when we saw all the helicopters and police presence at Brookside shopping center. We changed radio channels and that is when we found out what had happened.

We were just yards away from the crime scene when it was happening and had left just before it was over. I now live just over the border in Indiana. I have racked my brain to see if there is anything I can remember that I may have seen in that parking lot. I research this case all of the time to see if there is anything new. Just can't believe this has not yet been solved.

The thing that keeps bothering me is the time he spent in the store, over 40 minutes. Robbers are typically in and out. I really think he was waiting around for someone. True Crime Garage says the store manager was not suppose to work that day but due to a store promotion came in. I know, because my mom has always worked in this type of retail situation that there is always more than 1 employee in the store at a time, never is there only 1 employee. We know that there was an assistant manager known as "Martha". So if Martha was scheduled to work and the store manager showed up only to help out with the promotion who was the other employee scheduled to work that day? Was the killer waiting for that employee to show up?

I have not been able to find this out, but if someone can answer this question: Did the killer or an employee lock the door after the last 2 shoppers entered the store and were herded to the back room or was the door unlocked. Is there any information that customers were walking into the store finding no one at the counter (because they were all in the back room) and left?

You bring up some excellent points. What if he was waiting for an accomplice as opposed to an employee. What if he was actually after the store manager and he followed her to the store and went in there to kill her and did not expect customers to be in the store. Perhaps he had an accomplice outside the store serving as somewhat of a lookout and was communicating with the killer while he was in the store.

Also, why did the store manager call 911 if she thought the killer was going to leave? If this was a simple robbery, she waits until he leaves to call 911, instead, she calls 911 probably because she felt that his intention was to kill them all along and she felt hers and the others only hope was to call 911, even though she knew he would probably kill them once he found out.

First post..

I lean towards a hit, he was there to kill somebody in particular. Someone gets killed at work in a robbery, throws attention away from someone personal to that person, who would be suspected if they were killed at home. Insurance, marriage trouble, child custody...

I agree. I doubt the intention was robbery, but still why over 40 minutes spent inside? So much went on inside then LE is releasing. Something else I've not heard anything about is the back door. Typically deliveries are made through the back door not the front door.

There is a service road behind the store. I did read that the survivor reported he did enter through the front door and proceeded to look up to see if there were cameras. I have not heard anything about cameras covering the exterior rear of the building. Could his vehicle or an awaiting vehicle been out back?

Also I went back over there that night after it happened to see if it would jog my memory, if I had seen something that morning that could be helpful. LE had a tent set up in front of the front door but I could see that the door itself was intact. I have to conclude that LE did not have to bust the door in when they arrived, therefore it had been left unlocked by the killer (or killer did not have employees lock it).

Again it was suppose to be a busy day at the store with the sale promotion. With all of this going on for over 40 minutes other customers had to have been going into that store while he was in the back room with the victims but I have not heard any reporting on this.

LE is holding a lot close to the vest. With almost 11 years with no suspect they should let the public know a little more. There could be just one detail that could help someone remember something.

-What did the manager say on the phone when she called headquarters about the delivery while he was there?
-Do they have the paperwork he presented to the manager about the delivery?
-Was he wearing a knit cap as depicted in the first composite sketch or not (one would not see corn rows if he was wearing a hat)?
-Did anyone attempt to exit the rear door?
-Was there another employee scheduled to work that day?

What questions would you ask about this case?

I agree. I doubt the intention was robbery, but still why over 40 minutes spent inside? So much went on inside then LE is releasing. Something else I've not heard anything about is the back door. Typically deliveries are made through the back door not the front door.

There is a service road behind the store. I did read that the survivor reported he did enter through the front door and proceeded to look up to see if there were cameras. I have not heard anything about cameras covering the exterior rear of the building. Could his vehicle or an awaiting vehicle been out back?

Also I went back over there that night after it happened to see if it would jog my memory, if I had seen something that morning that could be helpful. LE had a tent set up in front of the front door but I could see that the door itself was intact. I have to conclude that LE did not have to bust the door in when they arrived, therefore it had been left unlocked by the killer (or killer did not have employees lock it).

Again it was suppose to be a busy day at the store with the sale promotion. With all of this going on for over 40 minutes other customers had to have been going into that store while he was in the back room with the victims but I have not heard any reporting on this.

LE is holding a lot close to the vest. With almost 11 years with no suspect they should let the public know a little more. There could be just one detail that could help someone remember something.

-What did the manager say on the phone when she called headquarters about the delivery while he was there?
-Do they have the paperwork he presented to the manager about the delivery?
-Was he wearing a knit cap as depicted in the first composite sketch or not (one would not see corn rows if he was wearing a hat)?
-Did anyone attempt to exit the rear door?
-Was there another employee scheduled to work that day?

What questions would you ask about this case?

Am fairly certain that the rule would be keep the back door locked. Routine would probably be the driver coming in through front, showing paperwork and then the backdoor being unlocked, after confirmation is completed. That is the way we worked deliveries back in the day. I am pretty sure he came in through the front, rounded up people, had manager lock door (in some kind of order). If customers showed up, there would have been a locked door. The perp did the killings in the back, took the key from the manager, let himself out the front door. Am betting people were around outside, so he tried to pass himself off as a customer leaving, might have even carried a bag from store. If he had locked the door, he would have appeared very suspicious. Am betting his car was out front. I believe the 911 call was the manager just saying the store name and address.

This is going to be a long one. I apologies in advance but there is no way for me to shorten this up!!

I may be on to something, or I may not be but I need the help here of someone with a analytical mind to review what I have come up with. I have reviewed the NASA enhanced surveillance video of the Lane Bryant parking lot showing the small dark colored SUV that is of interest. The video can be seen here:
. Please see that it shows the SUV in question in front of Lane Bryant at the beginning of video at 10:38 A.M. up until 10:46 A.M at which point it is gone. The last still photo of it being there is at 10:45 A.M.

I have reviewed the Tinley Park LE (car #2) dash cam video broadcasted by NBC local news which can be seen here: Lane Bryant Murders Still Haunt Tinley Park . Please note that dash cam video starts at 10:45:57 A.M. and continues to 10:45:59 when the cruiser has passed a vehicle just before turning RIGHT into the parking lot for the series of stores Lane Bryant is located in. The dash cam video starts again at 10:46:19 when the LE pulls up to in front of Lane Bryant and they are shown running to the store. There is another dash cam video that I have tried for hours finding but have not been able to located it, where the full ride is shown. This is why I'm calling this car #2 because the uncut dash cam video shows that another cruiser is already on site when this car with the dash cam pulls up.

I have reviewed google earth aerials of the scene: I uploaded a google aerial map on this post. It is best to do a google aerial search in order to zoom in and out and to get the ground level view as well. 7212 W 191st St, Tinley Park, IL 60487. You will notice in the aerial that coming off 191st St you have only two choices to inter the shopping center. First choice is Frontage Rd. Second choice is Market Place Dr. Please note that Lane Bryant is located where it now is T.J. Maxx (T.J.Maxx now occupies that building). Also note where the Target store is.

O.K. hope I haven't lost you yet but it does get interesting if you follow what I am saying.

I am trying to find a time stamped 911 call that RM, the store manager made. The only place I can find that tells me the time the 911 call was placed is the True Crime Garage which reports the 911 call came in at 10:44 A.M. I do not have any information that tells me how long the 911 call lasted (jbirner if you are reading this can you help? I know you have said you have listen to this 911 call over and over again).

Now to put this all together. Watch the dash cam of car #2. Just as the video starts at 10:45:57 the cruiser is making a slight curve in the road as it is passing a vehicle that is to its right. Do you see the arrows in the road showing this is a turning lane? OK now the video cuts off but I'm sure this is where the car turns right into the Lane Bryant parking lot and the video starts up again when the car reaches the front door of Lane Bryant at 10:45:59. If you look at the Google aerial you will see the turning arrows on Frontage Rd where car #2 turned right into the larger parking lot and to the Lane Bryant store front. Again, I have seen the dash cam video that shows when car #2 pulls up to the store there is already another police car there. I have to assume that the first car on scene was the one that was located just a few hundred yards away at the Target store when the 911 call first came in. True Crime Garage said that the survivor "Martha" reported that she heard the police sirens BEFORE the shooting started.

So we have the 911 call placed at 10:44 A.M. The NASA enhanced surveillance photo showing the dark small SUV in front of Lane Bryant at 10:45 A.M. but not there anymore at 10:46 A.M. We have dash cam video of car #2 at Lane Bryant store front at 10:46:19 A.M. with a police car already there. Look at the Lane Bryant parking lot. The only way to get out of that parking lot is the seven lanes that take you out to Frontage Rd. Look at were Target is. It is a straight shot across Frontage Rd for cruiser #1 to get to the Lane Bryant parking lot.

What I am getting at is that it is very likely that one of those cruisers saw that small dark SUV when they were in route to the Lane Bryant. Now look at the dash cam video from cruiser #2 again. Just as the video starts at 10:45:47, look at the vehicle to the right of the cruiser, the one it is passing...Looks like a dark colored small SUV to me. Or look to the front of the cruiser just after it passes the vehicle, there are what looks like to me two dark colored SUVs coming up to the stop sign that leads to Market Place Dr.

Even if this guy shot the women at the beginning to the 911 call at 10:44 A.M. it would take time to shot 6 people, run to the front of the store, get into a vehicle, start the engine, put the vehicle in reverse and navigate through the parking lot to the main drag Frontage Rd. Keep in mind when this happened there was snow piled up all over the place in the parking lot as there had recently been a snow storm. This would at least take at least a minute to two minutes which puts you at about 10:45:30 A.M. to 10:46:00 A.M. Remember cruiser #2 is shown pulling up to front door at 10:46:19 with cruiser #1 already there.

O.K. now I'm exhausted!

I hope one of you have time to go through the information I have provided and my theory. Is it possible that the killers vehicle was captured on the dash cam of cruiser #2. Did cruiser #1 have a dash cam video? I don't know..The sequence of time is extremely tight here. 911 call starts at 10:44 A.M. , cruiser #2 pulling up at 10:46:19

Attachments

Welcome to Village of Tinley Park, Il

This is the link to the website for TP Police. This is the best version of the 911 call as it is in real time. You only hear the killer's voice, but it appears to be about 37 seconds in length. I'm not sure if that is the length of the entire original call. I think he went out the back door and had a car waiting for him nearby. I would concur that LE most likely passed him as he was fleeing the shopping center.

Thank you jbirner for the link to the Tinley Park LE 911 call. I listened to it several times and agree with your prior post about what he is saying. I think the last thing he said is "she likes it". I wish they would release the entire call with all of the voices enhanced. I wonder if the call actually ended there or if in the full recording the gun shots were heard?

I still cannot pinpoint how long the call was because the entire call has not been released. Came in at 10:44 A.M. and LE is shown on scene for sure by 10:46:16.

2 minutes and 16 seconds for him to have that recorded conversation, shoot everyone and get away....Yet it takes him over 40 minutes of hanging out in the store to do what ever he was doing in there.

I did a little more digging on NASA enhanced surveillance photos. Seems as though the small dark colored SUV arrived at 10:39 A.M.

The killer had already been in Lane Bryant at least 30 minutes at this time. The vehicle parks directly in front of the Lane Bryant door and leaves between 10:45 A.M and 10:46 A.M.

I can only think of two scenarios for this:

1- This was a Lane Bryant customer who went up to the front door and was not able to get in and spent sometime trying to figure out why they couldn't get in when the store was supposed to be open.

2- This was a partner of the killer waiting for him to come out of the store, perhaps he spent sometime circling around the parking lot and moved in position for the killer to exit and provide a fast get away.

Either way the vehicle disappeared by 10:46 A.M. with the last still photo showing it there at 10:45 A.M. which is the very time the killer would have exited the door.

It can only be deducted that there is another witness or there was another person involved in this crime. There is no other reason to park directly in front of the Lane Bryant store. I don't believe the other stores that were connected to Lane Bryant were occupied. Only Sally Beauty Supply which is next door but its door is pretty distant from Lane Bryant door. If your were going to the Sally Beauty why not park in front of that store.

If it was a shopper why would they not have come forward? There can't possibly be a person in this area not aware of what happened that day.

Now I'm in the camp of thinking there was more than one person involved in this crime. This, to me explains how the extremely fast get-away was possible.

I think scenario 2 makes more sense. This kind of crime takes more than one person and I believe to this day he had an accomplice of some sort. He may have been communicating with this person from inside the store. It could have been a customer trying to get in the store, which would explain why the killer was distracted long enough for RM to call 911. It was never made clear what distracted the killer that allowed enough time to place a call. I'm thinking that SUV had something to do with it.

On another note, I would love to see the paperwork he brought in with him for his "delivery". Was it authentic enough for the store manager to call another store. If it was, I would be inclined to think this perp is a delivery driver, or at least was a delivery driver. Someone who can make up a fake bill of lading and make it look believable.

Whoa jbirner, we are completely on the same page here! I was thinking about this last night and came up with the same thoughts. I do think he was in communication with a person outside of the building. I do think it was the driver of the SUV.

He gets the women into the break room and has them tie each other up. He communicates to the driver to pull into place. SUV pulls up to front door at 10:39. He finishes tying everyone up and what ever else he was doing in there. He leaves the break room to run to the front of the store to look out the window to be sure the SUV is there. RM has time to get her hands free and calls 911 at 10:44 A.M. He returns to the room, we hear him on the 911 call. He shoots the women and quickly runs out to the waiting SUV, its just before 10:46 A.M.......gone!

I have the same exact thought about the paperwork he presented to RM. She wasn't stupid. The paperwork was believable enough to make her think it was an actual delivery but it confused her as she was not expecting a delivery or she was suspicious as to what was described on the paperwork as it was out of the ordinary for the store. She calls the other store.

Presenting the delivery paperwork gives him time to acclimate himself to the store. To keep everyone concentrating on something while he determines if there are cameras, security, how many people are in the store (or if the person he is actually there to kill is in the store). I believe he was at some point previously a delivery guy or was close to someone that is a delivery person. That paperwork, if he left it behind has to hold some clues I would think, at the very least latent fingerprints, if not his prints the prints of someone that it may have originated from.

I have one more thought that will take some time for me to go through. I will post it sometime later today. Gotta get going on my day job for now!!!

I have read that they have his fingerprints and have run them to no avail. I'm not sure if it's from the paperwork or from something else. I know he left the shell casings behind as well as duct tape.

I think he was texting with this person in the SUV. This person might have warned him there was a cop car near the Target store and maybe he should get out while he can. He goes up front to check it out. I'm not sure if he was planning to kill them originally, but when he became aware RM called 911 he became enraged. Maybe RM figured out there was a cop car close and he could be there within seconds so she called 911. Regardless, he kills them and leaves quickly. Perhaps he left with the person in this SUV, or he had another vehicle there that was strategically parked where he could get to it quick. He might have went out the back door. The police probably missed him by mere seconds.

That is an interesting point. The SUV driver warning him they spotted a cop nearby.

Cruiser #1 ( I call it this because this was the first car to arrive at Lane Bryant) had been called to the Target store parking lot just across Frontage Rd approximately 200 yards away depending on where in the parking lot it was called to as it is a fairly large parking lot.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what time cruiser #1 arrives at the Target parking lot. How does the time cruiser #1 arriving at the Target parking lot correspond with the arrival of the small dark SUV in front of Lane Bryant at 10:39 A.M.?

Law Enforcement did check cell phone activity near the site that morning and would assume no suspicious activity was identified. I do not know if all activity from all carriers was actually checked. ( one call from someone associated with the Managers former church was identified and checked out). Ha the perpetrator and the lookout been communicating, we would expect them to use a cell.

This case is hard to figure. There are so many things that just don’t make any sense that you have to wonder if this was really just an armed robbery at all.

The fact that the shop opened at 10:00 AM and the receipts for the day before had been banked before the robbery began is very suggestive that this was a major screwup from the getgo. I wonder if other Lane Bryant
shops opened at 11:00AM and they were working from inside
knowledge from one of those shops.

When the guy entered the store, he was able to pass himself off as a delivery man. What do we know about the paperwork he presented? Did he have something that suggested either inside knowledge of how at company operated or how companies delivering o retail store operated

As Fine Print has demonstrated, the getaway driver, if that was him in the small SUV, didn’t stay put in one parking place but was mobile and arrived at the store just as the assailant was leaving. This is excellent timing but how did they manage this in light of everything seeming to go horribly wrong?

If I were pulling off an armed robbery and the money I was expecting was there, i’d want to get out fast. If it wasn’t there, i’d want to get out faster. Why did that guy hang around for over 4o minute? That makes no sense. Is it possible that the plan was to kill the manager after the money was collected and he was ready to go and the gunshot was the signal for the driver to pull up. The manager would have been the only person expected to be there assuming an 11:00 AM opening. I feel somehow the perpetrator was having trouble deciding what to do when everything was going wrong.

I can’t see any way this was some sort of a staged robbery in order to cover up a murder. Only the assistant manager could have been predicted to have been there and there were more descrete ways to have killed her without drawing so much attention

When the first sketch came out of the suspect just days after it all happened a few things struck me as strange and have stuck with me.

He is described as having puffy corn rows and one braid that hangs down the right cheek with light green beads on the end. They also said he was wearing a gray knit ski cap.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/2008_2_13.tinleysuspect.jpg

I'm in no way saying the survivor "Martha" didn't get it right. With the trauma she went through and the pure energy she must of exhausted just being in survival mode she may have not really have been able to give as detailed description that has been given.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Heck it has almost been 11 years and still nothing. I have heard crazier theories put out there about this case......here goes:

How can you see puffy corn rows if he is wearing a gray knit ski cap? Unless he was taking his hat off and putting it back on which would be strange.

http://cms6.revize.com/revize/tinle...Homicide Investigation/Lane Bryant Poster.PDF

The day I saw the first composite sketch of the killer the first thought that came to my mind was that it looks like he is using a Bluetooth earpiece. Maybe it was not a braid hanging along the right side of his cheek, maybe its a Bluetooth ear piece.

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thum...-to-a-Bluetooth-Headset-Step-10-Version-2.jpg

I'm not at all a tech geek and I've never used a Bluetooth ear piece and I'm not even sure how it works. I just see people walking around that appear to be talking to themselves!

Is it at all possible that the killer was using a Bluetooth earpiece to communicate with the dark color small SUV? Is it possible for LE to find out through cell tower technology to see if there were calls between 10:08 A.M. and 10:45 A.M. between two parties in that vicinity? I know I've read they did check cell phone activity and Kemo confirms the same but was it checked in the form of two cell phones talking to each other not just cell phone calling land lines and so on?

This makes me want to listen to the enhanced 911 call again with just his voice to see if there is anything that suggest he is talking to someone other than the victims.

The one thing most frustrating about this case is not hearing the 911 call in its original form. I understand why, but I always wonder who he was actually talking to and what they were saying back to him. What did he mean when he said "You're Lucky", for instance. Did that person in the SUV actually enter the store at some point and that is why the killer left the back room? I would like to know what time the cop car arrived at the Target as well. Could help more with the timeline.

I agree that the survivor might not have a 100% positive description of the suspect. I wish more details were given about this case. It seems like they are playing this very close to the vest. It is entirely possible TP police have a suspect in mind but do not have the evidence to arrest yet.

The only thing I could find about cruiser #1 responding to the Target parking lot is that a call came in at 10:30 A.M. for a medical emergency in the Target parking lot. This doesn't tell us what time the cruiser arrived on scene.

Good point about the SUV driver possibly entering the store.

I went through all of the video from local TV news stations, NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox. One interview on NBC I found interesting. Reporter was interviewing 2 of the detectives. One of the detectives said the killer handed RM the paperwork and said "is this the right store". This gives us a little more detail about the paperwork. I would think it must have said "Lane Bryant" on it because if it said something like "Ace Hardware" on it RM would have automatically said no you have the wrong store. There would have been no need for her to call another store about it.

You may be right. They may have a suspect in mind. In the interviews I watched they said there has been 3 times where they were sure they had it figured out but all 3 times it fell apart.

Its now 1 week until the 11th year anniversary. I wonder if LE is going to release more details to the public. It always seems that its on the anniversary that they do this. I hope so.....

Going back over cruiser #2 dash cam:

10 Years Later: The Lane Bryant Murders Still Haunt Tinley Park

In this NBC tape it shows cruiser #2 turning into the Lane Bryant parking lot. You can see cruiser #1 waiting for cruiser #2 (waiting for back up before they approach the front of Lane Bryant I assume) already in the parking lot, about 150 feet S.E. from the Lane Bryant store front. Cruiser #1 is shown waiting facing N.W. parallel with the Lane Bryant store. Cruiser #1 had to have been there before 10:45:57 because if you watch the first dash cam tape I posted you see cruiser #2 on Frontage Rd approaching the turn to the Lane Bryant parking lot but you do not see cruiser #1 crossing over Frontage Rd from the Target parking lot. Cruiser #1 must have already crossed over into the Lane Bryant parking lot by around 10:45:45.

This video has the same title as the first video but it is different:
10 Years Later: The Lane Bryant Murders Still Haunt Tinley Park

There is just no doubt that cruiser #1 saw the killers vehicle leaving the scene either on Frontage Rd as it crossed over from the Target parking lot to the Lane Bryant parking lot or as the killer was leaving the Lane Bryant parking lot.

The only possible way for the killer to exit the Lane Bryant parking lot is to get on Frontage Rd or to drive behind the store and get onto to the I-80 off ramp taking you to Harlem Ave. If that were the case he'd have to drive through the snow banks (which were piled high that day) which there would have been ample tire tracks and there may have been a fence there so that can be easily ruled out. I wish there was dash cam video made available from cruiser #1!

I have to believe LE reviewed all to the dash cam video extensively. But you never know. Sometimes the obvious is the non-obvious! I like to think I'm a expert in my (day job) field but there have been plenty of times I've concentrated so hard on solving a problem that I got tunnel vision and asked for other eyes to take a look and it turned out that the solution was right in front of me all along.....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightningwill
Back