GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
arb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 1m1 minute ago
Testimony from Van Dyke’s sister: “For me, Jason was a role model” and he was always calm with his girls.

Matt Masterson‏ @ByMattMasterson 7m7 minutes ago
“He’s withdrawn," Van Dyke's sister said. "It’s a huge difference in how Jason was since the case started.” She says Van Dyke would wear a disguise when going out in public

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 7m7 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke's sister says that when he came back home after being in jail briefly after he was found guilty, "he went into a deep depression," and did not come out of his room for several days.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 7m7 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke’s sister describes how his children and wife are being affected. She says the kids are bullied and they keep the blinds drawn due to protests outside their home. @cbschicago

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 5m5 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke’s sister says she worries about her parents more now. “It’s taken a toll on their health.” @cbschicago

Erica Demarest‏Verified account @ericademarest 5m5 minutes ago
Defense witness No. 7: Van Dyke's sister, Heidi Kauffunger. She's describing her childhood with Jason Van Dyke. They were close, had sleepovers. "Jason is a rule-follower, never got in trouble." She says he wore a watch and was always home by curfew.

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 5m5 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke's sister describes the threats and bullying which she says Van Dyke's daughters have endured at school, include threats of being shot.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 4m4 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke’s sister says students have written “16 shots” on his oldest daughter’s desk and kids run up and take photos of both girls and run away. @cbschicago

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 4m4 minutes ago
"Jason will never be a police officer again, or will never be able to be able to hold a gun. .... His life and reputation is gone in the blink of an eye. I would the court to consider all that he has lost, already, and what his family has gone through," Van Dyke's sister says.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 3m3 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke’s sister: “Please give him probation and time served for his family ...” @cbschicago

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 3m3 minutes ago
Heidi Kauffunger, the younger sister of Jason Van Dyke, asks Judge Gaughan to consider "all he has lost already" when the judge sentences Van Dyke. "Please, give him probation and time served for his family, who needs him," she says.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 6m6 minutes ago
Owen Van Dyke, the father of Jason Van Dyke, takes the stand at his son's sentencing hearing. #LaquanMcDonald

Owen Van Dyke says his son "Jason was tolerant of people's rights." He then describes Jason Van Dyke's childhood, school activities and part-time job accomplishments. #LaquanMcDonald

Matt Masterson‏ @ByMattMasterson 3m3 minutes ago
Next up: Jason's father, Owen Van Dyke. He has been here for just about every day and every hearing in this case. At least as long as I've been covering it

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 6m6 minutes ago
Owen Van Dyke reads from a letter he has written for the court, about his son. "Jason's not the person described by prosecutors," and he describes several achievements of Van Dyke's through his childhood and school years.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 4m4 minutes ago
Owen Van Dyke says his son "Jason was tolerant of people's rights." He then describes Jason Van Dyke's childhood, school activities and part-time job accomplishments. #LaquanMcDonald

Owen Van Dyke, speaking about his son Jason: "I stand by my son as my father stood behind me."

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 3m3 minutes ago
Owen Van Dyke: “Jason is not the person that is described by the prosecutors.” He reads a letter he has written describing his son as a boy and student and now father. He says he volunteers at his parish. @cbschicago

Erica Demarest‏Verified account @ericademarest 3m3 minutes ago
Defense witness No. 8: Van Dyke's father, Owen Van Dyke. I don't think he's missed a court date yet since Van Dyke has been charged. He reads a letter and says "Jason is not the person that was described by the prosecutors."

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 2m2 minutes ago
Owen Van Dyke reads from his written statement about his son, in his effort to help mitigate the sentence of Jason Van Dyke. "Police officers run towards trouble," he tells the court. No cross examination.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 53s53 seconds ago
Kevin Graham, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, has taken the stand in Officer Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing. #LaquanMcDonald

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 3m3 minutes ago
Next defense witness is current FOP President Kevin Graham. Says he has known Jason Van Dyke for 3 years. Says Van Dyke is a quality person.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 2m2 minutes ago
FOP President Kevin Graham at Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing: "I think I'm a fairly good judge of character." He says of Van Dyke: "He cares about people."

Ben Bradley‏Verified account @BenBradleyTV 3m3 minutes ago
We’re in the final minutes of the sentencing hearing for former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke. He may take the stand. Live coverage on @WGNNews at 4p and streaming at http://www.wgntv.com/live

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 3m3 minutes ago
Officer Graham says he has gotten to know Jason Van Dyke over the past three years. "I think I'm a fairly good judge of character," says Graham. Van Dyke "is a quality individual who cares about society, and cares about the other people he works with."

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 2m2 minutes ago
Graham says he has never heard a coworker say anything bad about Jason Van Dyke. @cbschicago

"I haven't heard one person say a bad word about him," FOP President Kevin Graham says of convicted former police officer Jason Van Dyke. During Van Dyke's employment at FOP, he made sure people who visited there were well taken care of, Graham says.

FOP President Kevin Graham at Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing says Chicago police officers are worried: "They are hesitant when they go out into the street ... They don't want to be sitting his shoes."

FOP Pres. Kevin Graham at Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing: "If justice is served, he will not get a long sentence. Because you put someone in prison for something that they are responsible for. And the Chicago Police Department owns a piece of responsibility." #LaquanMcDonald

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 1m1 minute ago
McMahon: "When Jason Van Dyke killed Laquan McDonald, that act significantly further-eroded the fragile trust between the community and the CPD, correct?" Graham: "No, that's not correct."

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 35s35 seconds ago
McMahon abruptly stops questioning FOP President Graham, and the defense moves to its next witness: Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason Van Dyke's wife.

Matt Masterson‏ @ByMattMasterson 2m2 minutes ago
Tenth and final (?) defense witness: Jason Van Dyke's wife, Tiffany

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 40s40 seconds ago
Tiffany Van Dyke is on the stand. Married to Jason Van Dyke for nearly 17 years, she's now testifying as a mitigating witness at her husband's sentencing hearing. #LaquanMcDonald

Stephen Miller‏Verified account @ssmiller 37s37 seconds ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason’s wife, on stand. Married almost 17 years. 2 kids. #VanDyke @WBBMNewsradio

Andy Grimm‏Verified account @agrimm34 26s26 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke's wife, Tiffany, takes the stand. The couple has been together 20 years, have two daughters, 17 and 12. Kaylee Van Dyke, age 17, already testified today on her father's behalf.

Tiffany Van Dyke says she and Jason Van Dyke met when they worked together -- "then came marriage, children." They've been married for 17 years.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 1m1 minute ago
Jason Van Dyke’s wife Tiffany Van Dyke is on the stand. She says they have been married almost 17 years and together almost 20. She says they were friends first and then fell in love. @cbschicago

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 7m7 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason Van Dyke's wife, says she has recently secured a job that brings her health coverage, since her family lost their health insurance following Van Dyke's arrest.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 7m7 minutes ago
Tiffany says she is currently working full time so she can have benefits for herself and her children because she no longer gets health care through Jason Van Dyke’s job. The couple went without health care for a year, she says. @cbschicago

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 5m5 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke is now testifying about how Jason is “her everything, her other half.” Says her life has been a nightmare, it’s been turned upside down.

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 5m5 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke's wife: "My life has been a nightmare ... I cannot sleep without my husband in bed next to me ..... My heart is broken."

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 6m6 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason Van Dyke's wife, at her husband's sentencing hearing: "My husband is my everything. He's my other half. He's my heart." #LaquanMcDonald

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 5m5 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason Van Dyke's wife, at her husband's sentencing hearing: "My husband is a very kind, a gentle man. He would give you the shirt off his back ... There is no malice in my husband. There is no hatred. There is no racism in my husband." #LaquanMcDonald

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 5m5 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason Van Dyke's wife, at her husband's sentencing hearing: "My life has been a nightmare. My life has been turned upside down, inside out. My husband is not with me." #LaquanMcDonald

Tiffany Van Dyke says she thinks of her husband Jason first thing when she wakes up.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 4m4 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, Jason Van Dyke's wife, at her husband's sentencing hearing: "I cannot sleep without him in my bed beside me. I don't have my husband. My children don't have their father. Life is torture. My heart is broken." #LaquanMcDonald

Tiffany Van Dyke on life today: "I think of Jason. He's my first thought. .... You just go day, through day," hoping to speak to her husband for one phonecall a day. She says her children also speak to Van Dyke on the phone.

Jason Van Dyke's wife, Tiffany Van Dyke, says at her husband's sentencing hearing that her 17-year-old daughter is threatened at school. Other kids write "16 shots" on the daughter's desk at school, Tiffany Van Dyke says. #LaquanMcDonald

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 3m3 minutes ago
Tiffany Van Dyke says she spends $500 a week so her and her daughters can speak to Jason on the phone everyday.

Tiffany Van Dyke says at her husband Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing, "I live day for day, dollar for dollar, just like everybody else." #LaquanMcDonald

Jason Van Dyke's wife says her daughters have been bullied in school, and her oldest daughter has had notes written to her saying "16 shots." She worries that her younger daughter may be cornered and beaten. "They have paid the price," she tells the court.

Jason Van Dyke’s wife is crying on the stand. “My children don’t sleep. They don’t eat ... they get bullied in school. My oldest gets her picture taken in school so people can pass her picture around and corner her and beat her.” @cbschicago

Shannon Heffernan‏ @shannon_h 6m6 minutes ago
Van Dyke's wife, Tiffany, is now on the stand. She says the department lost a good officer and breaks down as she describes the backlash her daughters have felt. She could be the last witness. Jason Van Dyke gets chance to speak, but we don't know if he will take it.

Jason Van Dyke sitting at defense table quietly listening to his wife Tiffany testify.

Jason Van Dyke's wife Tiffany says one of her daughters loved dance and dance classes, but "unfortunately that comes with a big price tag," so she no longer dances.

"The last name Van Dyke is not a name that goes well within the city of Chicago," says Tiffany Van Dyke, wife of Jason Van Dyke, at her husband's sentencing hearing. #LaquanMcDonald

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 59s59 seconds ago
Tiffany Van Dyke says she passed the tests and went through the academy to become a Cook County Correctional Officer but was never allowed to do the job. She claims it is because she is married to Jason Van Dyke.

Christy Gutowski‏ @ChristyGutowsk1 55s55 seconds ago
"My husband is not a murderer," Tiffany Van Dyke testifies at the sentencing hearing of her husband, Jason, a former Chicago police officer who fatally shot Laquan McDonald 16 times in 2014.

Mitch Smith‏Verified account @MitchKSmith 2m2 minutes ago
Testimony continuing, with members of Jason Van Dyke’s family asking the judge for leniency. “There is no malice in my husband,” said his wife, Tiffany.

Tiffany Van Dyke at her husband's sentencing hearing: "The media is harsh. The media is mean. The media is manipulative." #LaquanMcDonald

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 45s45 seconds ago
If Jason Van Dyke is sent to prison, his wife Tiffany says through tears, "my biggest fear is that somebody would kill him, for something that he did as a police officer. There was no malice, no hatred that night. It was simply a man doing his job."

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 52s52 seconds ago
Tiffany Van Dyke says she fears someone will kill her husband, Jason Van Dyke. She says she fears she and her kids will never see their husband and father again. #LaquanMcDonald

Dana Kozlov‏Verified account @DanaCBS2 38s39 seconds ago
For defense; the wife of Jason #VanDyke tells Laquan McDonald's family at her husband's sentencing hearing that they pray for them every day. @cbschicago

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 57s58 seconds ago
Tiffany Van Dyke, the wife of Jason Van Dyke, says to #LaquanMcDonald's family: "It was a tragedy. We pray every single day for this family."

Teryn J. Robinson‏ @terynjrobinson 58s59 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke's wife said in court: "He won't have the opportunity to shape [his daughters'] lives" You know who REALLY won't have that chance? Laquan McDonald's parents.

Matt Masterson‏ @ByMattMasterson 1m1 minute ago
No more witnesses. Jason Van Dyke will address the court next

Stacey Baca‏Verified account @StaceyBacaABC7 1m1 minute ago
OFFICER SENTENCING: Ex-officer Jason Van Dyke’s wife sobs, saying the day of the shooting her husband had “no malice, no hatred that night. It was simply a man doing his job.” She says they pray for #LaquanMcDonald family too. She says they want both sides to have peace.
DxOgqFzWkAEQtrK.jpg

Tiffany Van Dyke, the wife of Jason Van Dyke, says her husband has paid the "ultimate price," and she begs the judge to give him a lenient sentence. #LaquanMcDonald

Jason Van Dyke’s wife says she begs for the least amount of time if not probation for her husband. “He has already paid the ultimate price ... My husband does not deserve a lengthy time for doing his job.” @cbschicago

Shannon Heffernan‏ @shannon_h 2m2 minutes ago
Tiffany says her biggest fear is someone will kill Jason Van Dyke behind bars. She says "please, please, he has paid the price already..." Defense says they have no more witnesses, but Van Dyke would like to speak. Judge calls a short recess.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 13m13 minutes ago
Brief recess. Tiffany Van Dyke was the final mitigating witness for the defense. Next up are closings and Jason Van Dyke's statement.

Last edited:
Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 8m8 minutes ago
Speculation among the reporters in the overflow room is that -- when court re-convenes -- Judge Vincent Gaughan will hear closing arguments, and then -- after that -- give Jason Van Dyke an opportunity to speak on his own behalf. That is not confirmed, however.

Court is now back in session. Judge Gaughan says he'll hear final arguments on the penalty portion; then Jason Van Dyke will have the opportunity to speak. Then the judge says he'll take a "very brief" recess and come back with his sentencing decision.

Cheryl Corley‏ @nprcherylcorley 1m1 minute ago
Closing arguments in the sentencing hearing for Jason Van Dyke - the Chicago policeofficer willsoon begin. It’s been a day full of testimony for witnesses calling for either a lenient or lengthy sentence for the cop found guilty of 2nd degree murder and aggravated battery

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 28s29 seconds ago
The defense is reading a letter to the court, from Jason Van Dyke's 12-year-old daughter. "People come up to me and say my dad is a murderer. ... I have trouble sleeping at night because my dad may have to go away for a long time." "I love my dad more than words can say."

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 1m1 minute ago
Defense attorney reading letter from Jason Van Dyke’s 12-year-old daughter. In letter she says she knows her dad had to kill someone while he was working.

The defense is reading a letter from Jason Van Dyke’s 12-year-old daughter. “Kids come up to me and say my dad is a murderer. That hurts so much. My dad is not that.” @cbschicago

Jason Van Dyke's twelve-year-old daughter, in a letter which defense attorneys are reading to the judge in court: "My dad is my everything .... I need my dad in my life."

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 1m1 minute ago
A defense attorney is reading a letter from Jason Van Dyke's 12-year-old daughter: "For the last four years my family has had our lives turned upside down ... I do know that my dad had to shoot someone and they lost their life."

Erica Demarest‏Verified account @ericademarest 52s53 seconds ago
Defense attorney Tammy Wendt is now reading a letter from Jason Van Dyke's 12-year-old daughter. The girl wrote that kids in school bully her and say her dad is a murderer. "That makes me so sad."

Now court begins to hear closing arguments concerning the sentencing phase, beginning with lead prosecutor Joseph McMahon. "From the beginning, this case has been devastating," McMahon begins. The one common element, he says, is Jason Van Dyke.

Matt Masterson‏ @ByMattMasterson 1m1 minute ago
“From the beginning this case has been devastating,” prosecutor Joe McMahon said.

“The one thing all that devastating testimony has in common is Jason Van Dyke.” We’re not here because of media or public reaction, but because Van Dyke committed serious crimes as a police officer

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 37s37 seconds ago
"Jason Van Dyke's conduct has been devastating" to Laquan McDonald's family, prosecutor McMahon tells the court. "But his devastation goes well beyond" the victim's family. "Jason Van Dyke's conduct has been devastating to the entire community," in Chicago and across the country

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 36s36 seconds ago
The prosecution is beginning its closing statement, saying we are not here because of the community or media reaction but because Jason Van Dyke fired 16 shots. @cbschicago

Stacy St. Clair‏Verified account @StacyStClair 1m1 minute ago
"Jason Van Dyke's conduct has been devastating to the entire community, not just here in Chicago, but across the entire country," McMahon says. Van Dyke broke the sacred trust between the public and police, he says.

Special Prosecutor Joe McMahon says in his closing argument at Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing: "Jason Van Dyke betrayed his fellow police officers. His conduct was so egregious, so different than every other police officer on that scene. That is why we're here tonight."

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 50s51 seconds ago
McMahon brings up the testimony of four of the witnesses who spoke, earlier today, about their encounters with Jason Van Dyke in past years -- all of which started with routine traffic stops. Three out of four ended in physical attacks and "young men being taken to jail."

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 48s49 seconds ago
“The Van Dykes. It is difficult to sit and listen to the real pain that the Van Dyke family is going through” but that pain is caused by Jason Van Dyke, prosecutors say. @cbschicago

Erica Demarest‏Verified account @ericademarest 1m1 minute ago
McMahon: "We're here not because of the media’s reaction to 16 shots. ... We’re here because Jason Van Dyke committed violent crimes in his capacity as a Chicago police officer."

Special Prosecutor Joe McMahon says in his closing argument at Jason Van Dyke's sentencing hearing, "It is difficult to sit and listen to the real pain the Van Dyke family is going through ... but they are caused by the actions of her husband, their father and their son."

Prosecutor Vincent McMahon notes that people are sent to jail every day, and former police officer Jason Van Dyke "should be, and must be, held to the same standard" as all other defendants. "Probation is absolutely not appropriate," he adds.

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 35s35 seconds ago
Giving former CPD officer Jason Van Dyke probation, only, "would send the wrong message to this community," prosecutor Joseph McMahon tells Judge Vincent Gaughan, in his closing arguments asking for years of prison time for the former officer.

Stacy St. Clair‏Verified account @StacyStClair 31s31 seconds ago
McMahon noted that the judge received many letters from Chicago police officers, voicing support for Jason Van Dyke and describing how their jobs have been difficult since his arrest.

"Their job is difficult because of the actions of Jason Van Dyke," McMahon said.

"The shooting of Laquan McDonald sixteen times," prosecutor Joseph McMahon says -- "that's what we're asking you to sentence him on." Remember that Jason Van Dyke's conviction on aggravated battery requires a sentence of jail time, unlike the conviction on second-degree murder.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 22s22 seconds ago
Special Prosecutor Joe McMahon says a prison sentence of 18 to 20 years is appropriate for former Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke in the murder of #LaquanMcDonald.

liz nagy‏Verified account @liznagy 1m1 minute ago
Defense now asking judge to sentence Jason Van Dyke on second degree murder terms, probation @ABC7Chicago

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 48s49 seconds ago
Now Darren O'Brien, one of Jason Van Dyke's attorneys, is arguing that their client should be sentenced on his conviction of second-degree murder (which includes the possibility of a sentence of probation only).

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 22s22 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke attorney Darren O'Brien, a recent add to the defense team, argues in his closing statement Van Dyke should be sentenced to probation on the second-degree murder charge in the #LaquanMcDonald shooting.

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 1m1 minute ago
Defense is asking for probation for Jason Van Dyke.

Mitch Smith‏Verified account @MitchKSmith 1m1 minute ago
Darren O’Brien, a defense lawyer, is asking that Jason Van Dyke be sentenced to probation. “He thought he was acting in self-defense,” O’Brien said.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 46s47 seconds ago
Defense says the criminal conduct was “induced or facilitated by someone other than the defendant,” saying the jury agreed Jason Van Dyke thought he was acting in self defense whether that was reasonable or not. @cbschicago

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 56s56 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke's attorney Darren O'Brien argues that the officer was "responding to a call for help," on the night of Laquan McDonald's shooting -- an example, he says, of a police officer running towards danger instead of away -- which he maintains is a mitigating factor.

"The imprisonment of the defendant would entail excessive hardship," on Jason Van Dyke's family, O'Brien argues, and he asks the court to consider all ttestimony about Van Dyke's character, from friends and family, as well as the commendations Van Dyke received in his career.

Stacy St. Clair‏Verified account @StacyStClair 42s43 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke has about 50 commendations for his police service, O'Brien said. He also has submitted more 200 letters of support.

Matt Masterson‏ @ByMattMasterson 31s32 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke addressing the court now...

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 52s53 seconds ago
Former Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke is reading a statement at his sentencing hearing for the murder of teenager #LaquanMcDonald. "It was due to my actions that the McDonald family has suffered pain," he says.

Jason Van Dyke, in his statement to the court, describes the McDonald shooting as the "worst day of [his] life." He is reading his statement directly from a piece of paper, not looking up.

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 52s52 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke is reading a statement...says he grieves daily for the death of Laquan McDonald. Says he will live with this for the rest of his life.

Rob Elgas‏Verified account @RobElgasABC7 33s33 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke says "It was due to my actions that the McDonald family has suffered pain. People have a right to judge my actions."

Vicky Baftiri‏ @VickyBaftiri 2m2 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke reads statement: "I have to live with this for the rest of my life."

DxOrU8lWoAEek3w.jpg

Jason Van Dyke at his sentencing hearing: "No one wants to take someone's life in the defense of their own." #LaquanMcDonald

Jason Van Dyke continues to read his written statement: "No one wants to take someone's life, even in defense of their own." Then Van Dyke sits down, and the judge calls a "short recess."

Jason Van Dyke reads from a statement calling October 20, 2014 the worst day of his life. “I have prayed daily for the soul of Laquan McDonald ... as a God-fearing man and father I will live with this the rest of my life.” @cbschicago

Ben Bradley‏Verified account @BenBradleyTV 2m2 minutes ago
“No one knows what I was thinking in that moment. I was scared to death for my life and the lives of my fellow officers” -Former Chicago cop Jason Van Dyke on The shooting death of Laquan McDonald

Rob Elgas‏Verified account @RobElgasABC7 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: A short recess the judge says about 5 minutes before he renders his decision in the sentencing of Jason Van Dyke.

no clue which way this is going since i dont know anything about the judge. i wont be surprised by any possible outcome.

Erica Demarest‏Verified account @ericademarest 1m1 minute ago
Jason Van Dyke just spoke for about a minute or two. "Taking a life is not to be taken lightly." He says Oct. 20, 2014, was the worst day of his life. It's the first time he ever fired his gun on the job.

artha Sugalski‏Verified account @MarthaSugalski 1m1 minute ago
CHICAGO (AP) -- Ex-Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke says at sentencing: "The last thing I wanted to do was shoot Laquan McDonald"

Robert Loerzel‏ @robertloerzel 2m2 minutes ago
Judge Vincent Gaughan is speaking. He is about to announce the sentence for Jason Van Dyke.

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 42s42 seconds ago
Judge Gaughan begins his decision, talking about which count he will be considering, in his sentencing of Jason Van Dyke.

Rob Elgas‏Verified account @RobElgasABC7 1m1 minute ago
Judge Gaughan is reviewing the jury instructions in the Jason Van Dyke case.

Sarah J Russe‏ @SarahJRusse 30s30 seconds ago
"100% of everybody's going to be disappointed" -Judge V Gaughan, beginning his decision on the Jason Van Dyke sentencing. #LaquanMacdonald

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 24s24 seconds ago
He points out that the jury in this case had to first decide that Jason Van Dyke was guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, of first degree murder. Then they could consider mitigating circumstances that would later reduce the conviction to second-degree murder.

CBS News‏Verified account @CBSNews 48s49 seconds ago
HAPPENING NOW: Convicted Chicago Officer Jason Van Dyke will be sentenced for the murder of teen Laquan McDonald, who died in 2014 after being shot 16 times https://cbsn.ws/2iuAAgA

(video clip: CBS News on Twitter )

Judge Gaughan says "100 percent" of the people in the courtroom will be disappointed with his sentence. So, both sides will be unhappy, he says. #LaquanMcDonald

JeffBerkowitzPA‏ @JeffBerkowitzPA 33s33 seconds ago
Judge Gaughan issuing sentence to Jason Van Dyke: 2nd degree murder is lesser offense of 1st degree murder, but w mitigating circumstances. it is Super Class 1 felony, so almost Class X felony,the highest. But, judge will sentence Agg. Battery w firearm @PoliticalEditor @WGNNews

Stacy St. Clair‏Verified account @StacyStClair 1m1 minute ago
Gaughan says he's going to sentence Jason Van Dyke for second-degree murder, which means he only has to serve 50 percent of the sentence.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 47s48 seconds ago
Judge Gaughan says he will sentence Jason Van Dyke on the second-degree murder charge, which carries a lesser sentence than that aggravated battery charges. #LaquanMcDonald

Robert Loerzel‏ @robertloerzel 57s57 seconds ago
Gaughan says Jason Van Dyke's sentence will be based on the charge of second-degree murder — not the various aggravated battery with a firearm charges.

81 months? so almost 7 years.

6 years 9 months to be exact. not sure what amount is mandatory, oh the commentator just said he has to serve 85%.

edit - not sure if the 85% part is correct, i'm seeing several different amounts on different news sources (some saying 85%, some 50%, some just 2 years)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitty7766