IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a map I made up to help give everyone an overview of the area.

I labeled different locations that were mentioned in initial news reports.

You can zoom in and out with the center wheel on your mouse, left click and drag to move map around on screen.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kdNsSY53CGeU&usp=sharing

Thank you for the map. I don't know where you got your info on the population of Fox Lake, but it is only a little over 10,000

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...on=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fox lake il population

Thank you for the map. I don't know where you got your info on the population of Fox Lake, but it is only a little over 10,000

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...on=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fox lake il population

Gliniewicz worked for Fox Lake Police, a community of about 60,000 people in Lake County, about 60 miles north of Chicago. He was a 32-year veteran of the force, and a married father of four.

http://fox6now.com/2015/09/01/breaking-fox-lake-il-officer-died-after-being-shot-tuesday-morning/

Don't shoot the messenger.

If LE had any idea who these three guys were, they would be plastering it all over the news. If these guys were on foot, the slain officer would have had no identifying information to provide other than their color and gender, which is basically what they're working from.

LE doesn't know who they are, LE doesn't know where they are.

Hopefully they left fingerprints when his gun and spray were removed.

Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit said Gliniewicz had planned to retire at the end of the year but pushed it up to the end of September. The pair met Monday for 90 minutes to discuss Gliniewicz's retirement. Schmit said Gliniewicz wanted to make sure the police department's Explorer Post 300 would continue after he left the job. The Explorer Post was something the officer had built for 30 years, and he didn't want to see it end, Schmit said.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150901/news/150909914/

What are the odds, 3 guys kill a cop less than 24 hours after he meets with the mayor to discuss his retirement and he moves it up from the end of the year to the end of the month. And then after a huge manhunt there really no information?

I hope they are processing the bullet asap to determine whether or not it came from the officers gun.
I hate even thinking this, but I can't help it when considering all the information made public.

Very interesting theory, Cubby. I have nothing to add in support of that, or away from that. Hopefully they will think to test his hands for gunshot residue, just in case.

I read that LE DOES have some surveillance video they are going through this morning, so hopefully it will show SOMETHING. I do think it's odd the timing of everything, as well as the lack of suspect descriptions, but if they were on foot and he had radio'd it in, that could very well make sense that that's all they have to go on.

jmo

I think it's a hell of a stretch too. I think the fatal mistake that was made here is that since Gliniewicz reported he was pursuing them on foot, the general theory was that they were looking for 3 men either walking or running from the scene. Their original search perimeter was a couple of miles. If these 3 guys had a car hidden, they would have been WAY down the road by the time the crime scene tape was even put up.

If you look at the map, you will see that the railroad tracks cut through what used to be the road into the batch plant. I'm thinking that Gliniewicz saw them from Rollins road, but since he couldn't get across the tracks in his car, he took off after them on foot into the batch plant itself.

They may have come in the back way in a car , behind the tank farm, and escaped the same way.

I think Gliniewicz was on Honing and pursued them from Honing, if he was in fact pursuing someone. There is a road in to the area of the abandoned cement plant.

Our local 11am news (ABC) just stated police will be updating from the police station at 11:45pm

From everything I have heard, he was an amazing man, husband, father, officer, and friend. He will be missed by so many and his memory will never fade. Today many people are struggling with his unexpected death and him being gone.

Our local 11am news (ABC) just stated police will be updating from the police station at 11:45pm

If they want to catch these guys, they'd better make everything as public as possible, including all the tiny little details. They are going to have to jog someones memory on what they saw yesterday morning and when they saw it.

If they want to play the old cop game of "keeping it close to the vest", then they may never get any info. from the public that is going to be useful. These three guys may very well get away with murder.

This has all led me to thinking the same thing.

I just can't get over the descriptions, search halted, no witnesses, and no one is in danger. IMO none of that matches up with three dangerous suspects on the loose.

Another reason for my considering this theory is there appears to be no evidence of three suspects other than the radio report from Gliniewicz. Wouldn't there at least be information that a scent was picked up from the location the officer was found and then where it was lost? The public doesn't even have that.

If they want to catch these guys, they'd better make everything as public as possible, including all the tiny little details. They are going to have to jog someones memory on what they saw yesterday morning and when they saw it.

If they want to play the old cop game of "keeping it close to the vest", then they may never get any info. from the public that is going to be useful. These three guys may very well get away with murder.

Agree. One other thing that was mentioned on the 11am news blurb/break into regular programming is that police are holding back information.

ABC doesn't have a midday news so I will have to see if I can get another channel in clearly. No cable here.

This one hit close. My sister is good friends with a lady whose husband was in the same training class as the officer. He was young and had his whole life a head of him. He left behind his parents and a fiancé.

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am so sorry mnegri1973. I hope the perp is apprehended soon! (In reference to an OT post re: Clyde,Texas LEO found dead in his home; suspected homicide).

I assume they have interviewed and grilled all the employees of the surrounding businesses. The place all of this happened looks like a good hang-out spot for people that want to get hidden and smoke a little dope before work. This occurred at 7:50 A.M. ----10 minutes before many businesses open.

There are numerous businesses sprinkled right there in the vicinity of the old concrete plant. To use as an example, let's say we have a group of "friends" that go to this place before work, during break, and at lunchtime to meet up and smoke a little weed.

They may, or may not all work together. By the time Gliniewicz's back-up officers got to the scene, all three of them would have been at work for the day right along with everyone else. They may have never let on that anything ever happened.

Map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kdNsSY53CGeU

I didn't see where it said he was shot twice.

I just finished watching the 20 minute presser. I took notes and the following are what stood out to me.

-The only description they have is from the radio call from Lt. Gliniewicz
-When asked if the officer responded to a 911 call or was dispatched to the area, the answer was Lt. Gliniewicz "self responded"
-The initial search area which has been called off was 2 miles.
-the Northern Illinois crime lab is processing evidence and it is being expedited. At least 1 day for additional info.
-A preliminary autopsy was preformed last night but he is not at liberty to reveal any information about the autopsy.
-Can not disclose whether or not the officers gun was used.

There were a lot of answers that were simply can't answer due to the ongoing investigation.

I didn't see where it said he was shot twice.

I just finished watching the 20 minute presser. I took notes and the following are what stood out to me.

-The only description they have is from the radio call from Lt. Gliniewicz
-When asked if the officer responded to a 911 call or was dispatched to the area, the answer was Lt. Gliniewicz "self responded"
-The initial search area which has been called off was 2 miles.
-the Northern Illinois crime lab is processing evidence and it is being expedited. At least 1 day for additional info.
-A preliminary autopsy was preformed last night but he is not at liberty to reveal any information about the autopsy.
-Can not disclose whether or not the officers gun was used.

There were a lot of answers that were simply can't answer due to the ongoing investigation.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09...spects-in-killing-of-fox-lake-police-officer/ the third paragraph.

Long time lurker, new poster. I'm a local living in the next town over from Fox Lake and very familiar with the area, so am vested in seeing this case resolved. My family members were in the various school lockdowns (both hard and soft) all day yesterday. steelman's Google map is spot on should be a great help visualizing things for non-locals. Most of what is in this thread already is pretty accurate, minus the MSM pull-the-trigger-before-validation inaccuracies like suspects in custody. I can try to answer questions from afar.

Morning news report from a local reporter who knows the area. Nothing much new, but additional details around the edges that I know this community will digest.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150902/news/150909829/

One thing I did learn that is different from initial reports is:

Gliniewicz's gun was not in its holster but was found at the scene, Lake County Undersheriff Ray Rose said. It was not immediately known how it got away from him,

The suspects have been labelled armed and dangerous apparently based on his gun and pepper spray being taken from him. That is inconsistent with this report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiend_nyx