IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard 3 different stories about the retirement dates. That he was going to retire at the end of the year and then moved it up to the end of the month. Earlier today I read another article that stated he was going to retire last month but the Police Chief asked him to stay on another month to help out.

Good to know someone else heard different stories too!

I've heard 3 different stories about the retirement dates. That he was going to retire at the end of the year and then moved it up to the end of the month. Earlier today I read another article that stated he was going to retire last month but the Police Chief asked him to stay on another month to help out.

BBM That is also what was said during the PC today. The Chief stated he talked him into staying on a bit longer.

Blame it on WS but my mind goes to the deepest, dark places. I hate it when that happens.
No further comment on the subject at this time. :shame:

The info that Lt. Gliniewicz was planning to retire at the end of the year but, suddenly, pushed his retirement up to the end of September is somewhat disturbing for some reason imo.
Yesterday I heard the exact opposite reported on the news, that he had extended his service so as to carry on his work with the training club he led.
In other words, according to his original plan, he would have retired already. Go figure!

One innocent idea is that his retirement could have been requested to take place earlier due to Illinois budget contraints/changes which could have threatened any outside programs too.

WS is very useful for documenting cases as they're unfolding and for showing mistakes in early reporting (too many!) and the corrections that are evident later.

Like other posters have noted, LE's response to this case has a different vibe than that of similar cases imo. Can't put my finger on why every piece of info gathered is top secret unless LE has too many unanswered questions - like two plus two isn't equalling four.
They seem to be waiting on forensics to help clarify a scenario.

The poster who pointed out that three people may have walked into their nearby workplace/s right on time as if it were any other day seems a brilliant idea imo.
Why couldn't this scenario be true?
Wonder if the dogs walked anywhere and what scent would they be tracking exactly?

This investigation is being handled much like Officer Allen's imo

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/news/n...-Off-Duty-Texas-Officers-Death-323898251.html

I just wondered if anyone else read this. Yesterday I was on facebook, and I went to all the discussions about this case. I was scrolling down the page, and in one of the articles it stated, that one of the three men, may be a woman. It struck me odd because nothing like that was being mentioned on the news. I walked away for only a couple minutes and came back, and that was gone. I thought maybe it was something that could be true, and the authorities didn't want it out there for the public, or someone just messed up with the reporting. That has been bothering me.

First time I read/heard anything about the possibility of a woman being involved was today when reading on WS.
Causes one to wonder why or who initiated that early report.

Streetview from Rollins road looking into the old concrete plant.

attachment.php

I stink at maps. Can you snag a street view of the eastern end of Honing Road?

Also, the above pic is good because it shows where someone could cross the tracks on foot.

I don't know anything about manufacturing cement, but I wonder what could have been left there to scavenge and how long the plant has been closed.

BBM That is also what was said during the PC today. The Chief stated he talked him into staying on a bit longer.

It wasn't the police chief who gave the 11:45 am presser. It was the head of a different task force which has taken over the investigation.

Per live 5 pm newscast it took 3 minutes for back up to arrive on the call made by Lt. Gliniewicz. 3 minutes.

I was in the car earlier and on BBM radio they stated Lt. Gliniewicz's 'murder' is the first LEO to be killed in the line of duty in the history of Fox Lake.

Yesterday I heard "since 1984" iirc.
The reports may confuse county (Lake) statistics with those of town or city.
I thought the same regarding the reporting on population.

Yesterday I heard "since 1984" iirc.
The reports may confuse county (Lake) statistics with those of town or city.
I thought the same regarding the reporting on population.

I think the last murder in Fox Lake occured in 1984. That's what I remember hearing yesterday.

Here’s a timeline of what police say happened Tuesday

7:52 a.m.—Gliniewicz calls in to report three suspicious people
7:55 a.m. – Gliniewicz calls for 2nd unit after three subjects ran into swamp area
8:01 a.m. – Two officers arrive at the scene
8:09 a.m. – Officers find Gliniewicz with a gunshot wound

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...fficers-Shooting-323948661.html#ixzz3kcaVsiB3
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

In this case/timeline, it seems less likely the suspects could report to work and appear "normal" if they had just run through a swamp.
Also, how did they, three people, escape the scene undetected so quickly?
Only six minutes passed before other LE arrived on the scene.
Where or how could the perps hide in such a small window of time?
Where was their vehicle parked if they had one?

Events unfolded quickly according to investigators' timeline, spanning just 17 minutes. Lt. Gliniewicz reported the suspicious men at 7:52 a.m. and when backup officers arrived three minutes they could not find their fellow officer. Eight minutes later they found him unresponsive in a wooded and weeded area not far from his patrol car.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lake-manhunt-ends-after-officer-killed/966463/

Here’s a timeline of what police say happened Tuesday

7:52 a.m.—Gliniewicz calls in to report three suspicious people
7:55 a.m. – Gliniewicz calls for 2nd unit after three subjects ran into swamp area
8:01 a.m. – Two officers arrive at the scene
8:09 a.m. – Officers find Gliniewicz with a gunshot wound

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...fficers-Shooting-323948661.html#ixzz3kcaVsiB3
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Do we know if the officers heard any gunshots?

Here is a map I made up to help give everyone an overview of the area.

I labeled different locations that were mentioned in initial news reports.

You can zoom in and out with the center wheel on your mouse, left click and drag to move map around on screen.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kdNsSY53CGeU&usp=sharing

Bumping the map because I keep referring back to it.

Is it just me, or does it appear there is only one way in and one way out on Honing Rd? That is the location of the crime scene. If it is only one way in and one way out, how did the 3 suspects elude the police when they responded in 3-6 minutes?

I think the last murder in Fox Lake occured in 1984. That's what I remember hearing yesterday.

Oh, murder versus murder of LE.
Therefore, LE in Fox Lake versus LE in Chicago are typicallly under different degrees of duress.

Shoot, my usual browser isn't working on WS so 'my' spelling may suffer.

Oh, murder versus murder of LE.
Therefore, LE in Fox Lake versus LE in Chicago are typicallly under different degrees of duress.

Shoot, my usual browser isn't working on WS so 'my' spelling may suffer.

Fox Lake is about 60 miles north west of Chicago and only 22 or so miles south of Lake Geneva, WI. Fox Lake is in Lake County and Chicago is Cook County.

Events unfolded quickly according to investigators' timeline, spanning just 17 minutes. Lt. Gliniewicz reported the suspicious men at 7:52 a.m. and when backup officers arrived three minutes they could not find their fellow officer. Eight minutes later they found him unresponsive in a wooded and weeded area not far from his patrol car.

Sorry to quote my post, but going back to the officer being found in a wooded area, how did the suspect have a good shot of a moving person running in a wooded and tall grassy area? Is there any evidence of the trees surrounding where he was found having been hit by bullets? Any evidence on the ground that the suspects were running through the area? wouldn't long grass be trampled down? Perhaps foot prints in swampy muddy ground?

I stink at maps. Can you snag a street view of the eastern end of Honing Road?

Also, the above pic is good because it shows where someone could cross the tracks on foot.

I don't know anything about manufacturing cement, but I wonder what could have been left there to scavenge and how long the plant has been closed.

98 Honing road.jpg

98 Honing road

This is where Honing road turns from pavement to dirt. The dirt road leads into the back side of the concrete plant. Not much to see really, and due to the limited visibility, I still wonder if the perps were spotted from Rollins road instead of from this direction. I also have no way of knowing if there is a barrier gate along this dirt road before you reach the concrete plant. I can't imagine there wouldn't be some kind of gate to keep people out.

A video I just watched which was linked above shows some varied views of the concrete plant and the entry and the entry gate.

Combined with the Google map and especially the street views, you can get some sense of the landscape. I would like if they would locate precisely where his car was, and where he was found by the fellow officer (and, the location of the gun).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiend_nyx