IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning news report from a local reporter who knows the area. Nothing much new, but additional details around the edges that I know this community will digest.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150902/news/150909829/

One thing I did learn that is different from initial reports is:

The suspects have been labelled armed and dangerous apparently based on his gun and pepper spray being taken from him. That is inconsistent with this report.

That is what was being said yesterday, it surprised me to find out the gun was found at the scene, wonder if the pepper spray was also found nearby.

Long time lurker, new poster. I'm a local living in the next town over from Fox Lake and very familiar with the area, so am vested in seeing this case resolved. My family members were in the various school lockdowns (both hard and soft) all day yesterday. steelman's Google map is spot on should be a great help visualizing things for non-locals. Most of what is in this thread already is pretty accurate, minus the MSM pull-the-trigger-before-validation inaccuracies like suspects in custody. I can try to answer questions from afar.

:welcome6:

Long time lurker, new poster. I'm a local living in the next town over from Fox Lake and very familiar with the area, so am vested in seeing this case resolved. My family members were in the various school lockdowns (both hard and soft) all day yesterday. steelman's Google map is spot on should be a great help visualizing things for non-locals. Most of what is in this thread already is pretty accurate, minus the MSM pull-the-trigger-before-validation inaccuracies like suspects in custody. I can try to answer questions from afar.

That is a very lovely area, and wondered if there was much crime. According to the news it doesn't sound like it, but coming from a small town in WI, which also appears safe, but there is a lot of drug activity. I can't imagine how scared the community is, and the kids locked down in the schools, terrifying especially for the little ones.

That is a very lovely area, and wondered if there was much crime. According to the news it doesn't sound like it, but coming from a small town in WI, which also appears safe, but there is a lot of drug activity. I can't imagine how scared the community is, and the kids locked down in the schools, terrifying especially for the little ones.

The area is lovely with lots of open/green space interspersed in-between lakes, residential, commercial, and light industrial - all making suspect search both hard and easy. Many LE agencies have been searching a wide variety of territory, including residential, commercial, woods, swamps, lakes, etc. It isn't particularly wealthy and does have crime, just not of this magnitude.

Several surrounding school districts were locked down all day yesterday as it started fairly early in the morning, but are all out of session today. Seeing some talk of potentially having another "late summer September snow day" again tomorrow already. With no real leads, I'm sure it is difficult for community/school leaders to make those decisions. The uncertainty complicates things.

I just wondered if anyone else read this. Yesterday I was on facebook, and I went to all the discussions about this case. I was scrolling down the page, and in one of the articles it stated, that one of the three men, may be a woman. It struck me odd because nothing like that was being mentioned on the news. I walked away for only a couple minutes and came back, and that was gone. I thought maybe it was something that could be true, and the authorities didn't want it out there for the public, or someone just messed up with the reporting. That has been bothering me.

Yesterday I was on facebook, and I went to all the discussions about this case. I was scrolling down the page, and in one of the articles it stated, that one of the three men, may be a woman. It struck me odd because nothing like that was being mentioned on the news.
I wrote that off to another MSM pull-the-trigger-before-validation inaccuracy.

His gun was found at the scene. Yesterday the authorities were saying the three suspects had it, and the pepper spray was gone as well. Though, now, I don't know what is being said about the pepper spray.
Yeah I read that after I posted of course!!! Lol

Thank you for coming out of lurkdom for this case. :welcome:

I was in the car earlier and on BBM radio they stated Lt. Gliniewicz's 'murder' is the first LEO to be killed in the line of duty in the history of Fox Lake.

Could any of this be part of their strategy? By "their", I mean the strategy of LE?? Also, do police officers carry more than one gun? Don't they usually have a rifle in their car too?

I just wondered if anyone else read this. Yesterday I was on facebook, and I went to all the discussions about this case. I was scrolling down the page, and in one of the articles it stated, that one of the three men, may be a woman. It struck me odd because nothing like that was being mentioned on the news. I walked away for only a couple minutes and came back, and that was gone. I thought maybe it was something that could be true, and the authorities didn't want it out there for the public, or someone just messed up with the reporting. That has been bothering me.

Actually, what you are referring to can be found in post #3 of this thread, way over on page one.

The article has been revised from it's original version.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

“The crime scene is at the eastern end of Honing Road, a small road off Sayton Road that feeds three industrial complexes and an abandoned cement factory, Covelli said. Sayton is about 100 feet east of Route 12.

Gliniewicz was gunned down after calling in a report to dispatchers at 7:52 a.m. that he was in a foot chase with three suspicious people, authorities said. Dispatchers lost communication with him shortly after, and a backup officer arrived at the scene and found Gliniewicz dead, officials said.

Gliniewicz's gun was not in its holster but was found at the scene, Lake County Undersheriff Ray Rose said. It was not immediately known how it got away from him, (sic)”​

What did the three suspicious people do that was so dastardly to cause the officer to begin chasing them without first alerting the dispatchers that he had encountered three suspicious people and he was going to talk with them? Why was he unable to give any clothing description of any of them? Such as T-shirts, jeans, black hats? Something, anything.

It appears to have occured in an area where it is unlikely there would be any witnesses.

And, wasn't it said that he originally planned to retire later this year but had just recently moved the retirement date up to the end of this month? How would his death before his retirement affect his death benefits and thing like that? Is there a widow involved?

Obviously, I am just speculating on the little I am aware of but, something seems off to me. Whatever happened, it appears that it is a great loss for his friends, family, colleagues, and the entire community.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

“The crime scene is at the eastern end of Honing Road, a small road off Sayton Road that feeds three industrial complexes and an abandoned cement factory, Covelli said. Sayton is about 100 feet east of Route 12.

Gliniewicz was gunned down after calling in a report to dispatchers at 7:52 a.m. that he was in a foot chase with three suspicious people, authorities said. Dispatchers lost communication with him shortly after, and a backup officer arrived at the scene and found Gliniewicz dead, officials said.

Gliniewicz's gun was not in its holster but was found at the scene, Lake County Undersheriff Ray Rose said. It was not immediately known how it got away from him, (sic)”​

What did the three suspicious people do that was so dastardly to cause the officer to begin chasing them without first alerting the dispatchers that he had encountered three suspicious people and he was going to talk with them? Why was he unable to give any clothing description of any of them? Such as T-shirts, jeans, black hats? Something, anything.

It appears to have occured in an area where it is unlikely there would be any witnesses.

And, wasn't it said that he originally planned to retire later this year but had just recently moved the retirement date up to the end of this month? How would his death before his retirement affect his death benefits and thing like that? Is there a widow involved?

Obviously, I am just speculating on the little I am aware of but, something seems off to me. Whatever happened, it appears that it is a great loss for his friends, family, colleagues, and the entire community.

He had been with the department for 31 years, so I doubt that moving his retirement up by 2 months was going to affect his benefits that much.

I heard some of his calls to the dispatch. He radioed that one of the suspects headed to the swamp area and he was on foot chase. He is never heard from afterwards.

It would make sens they were in an area with no witnesses if they were looking to scavenge copper parts etc. Which is very common in rural areas with shut down industrial buildings.

There is a widow, his wife of 27 yrs, and four sons. He was reporedtly very close and involved with his sons. It is hard for me to believe he killed himself.

I've heard 3 different stories about the retirement dates. That he was going to retire at the end of the year and then moved it up to the end of the month. Earlier today I read another article that stated he was going to retire last month but the Police Chief asked him to stay on another month to help out.

It will be interesting if his service revolver is the weapon that discharged the bullet that killed him. Is the manhunt continuing?

I don't want to speculate about how this man died.

The manhunt has been cancelled as of 10:30 pm last night due to the 2 mile search perimeter being cleared.

<modsnip>

From all of the shows DH and I watch: Alaska State Troopers, Northwoods Law, Rugged Justice, etc, we see LE jump start a lot of foot chases while radioing in prior to back up coming. And some of these guys are game wardens knowing that their suspects are armed. So I didn't think it was odd at all when I read that a foot chase had been initiated. Several of my co-workers are also married to LE and they don't think it's unusual either.

Streetview from Rollins road looking into the old concrete plant.

Glin2.jpg

Blame it on WS but my mind goes to the deepest, dark places. I hate it when that happens.
No further comment on the subject at this time. :shame:

The info that Lt. Gliniewicz was planning to retire at the end of the year but, suddenly, pushed his retirement up to the end of September is somewhat disturbing for some reason imo.
Yesterday I heard the exact opposite reported on the news, that he had extended his service so as to carry on his work with the training club he led.
In other words, according to his original plan, he would have retired already. Go figure!

One innocent idea is that his retirement could have been requested to take place earlier due to Illinois budget contraints/changes which could have threatened any outside programs too.

WS is very useful for documenting cases as they're unfolding and for showing mistakes in early reporting (too many!) and the corrections that are evident later.

Like other posters have noted, LE's response to this case has a different vibe than that of similar cases imo. Can't put my finger on why every piece of info gathered is top secret unless LE has too many unanswered questions - like two plus two isn't equalling four.
They seem to be waiting on forensics to help clarify a scenario.

The poster who pointed out that three people may have walked into their nearby workplace/s right on time as if it were any other day seems a brilliant idea imo.
Why couldn't this scenario be true?
Wonder if the dogs walked anywhere and what scent would they be tracking exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiend_nyx