IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois Cop Found Dead in the Woods, Prompting Manhunt, May Have Committed Suicide: Report

http://www.people.com/article/illinois-cop-found-dead-may-have-committed-suicide

That Illinois cop-killing sparked outrage and tears. But was it a suicide?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cide-illinois-officer-death-article-1.2362449

Report: Illinois Police Investigating if Officer Thought to Be Killed Actually Committed Suicide

http://www.newsweek.com/report-illi...-if-officer-thought-be-killed-actually-372761

Illinois officer’s death may have been a suicide, evidence suggests

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ked-outrage-and-a-tears-but-was-it-a-suicide/

I wonder if all these are wrong as well. jmo idk

I guess if it turns out to be ruled a suicide, there is no crime to investigate.? Then the investigative journalists take over. (There still are a few good ones out there!) JMO

I guess if it turns out to be ruled a suicide, there is no crime to investigate.? Then the investigative journalists take over. (There still are a few good ones out there!) JMO

They might decide to investigate the task force for crimes.

We do need some good investigative reporters because even if this is homicide had this occured twenty years we would have had more information sooner because they would been in there digging.

Nowadays they just ask questions at pressers and then write down the answers, and most of the time they get that wrong.

That is what I am trying to resolve. What could his reasoning be to include such a statistical improbability for that area?

It's far from being an exclusive community.

I'm local, there several area towns including mine with the same racial demographics as Fox Lake. Those percentages are probably as accurate as current National unemployment data ...There's multiple black NFL football players, dozens of interracial couples and many black families living in my town and statistically with regard to race,we're about the same as Fox Lake.

Remember Fox Lake, especially during warm weather is a Vacation/Resort/Get drunk and party town and the population grows accordingly on both weekdays and weekends.

It's far from being an exclusive community.

I'm local, there several area towns including mine with the same racial demographics as Fox Lake. Those percentages are probably as accurate as current National unemployment data ...There's multiple black NFL football players, dozens of interracial couples and many black families living in my town and statistically with regard to race,we're about the same as Fox Lake.

Remember Fox Lake, especially during warm weather is a Vacation/Resort/Get drunk and party town and the population grows accordingly on both weekdays and weekends.

I was basing this on 2013 population figures which states Fox Lake is less than 1% black (97 persons) with 127 of mixed two races or more.

That is less than one percent of the population who could be identified as both male and black.
Even less who would be of the age to run from police and not be identified as child or elderly 10-75 years of age.

This happened on a Tuesday midmorning, not a holiday, school was in session so again while chances are a black man could be from out of town it isn't like walking through downtown Detroit when in Fox Lake.

I think gliniewicz used the description for a reason assuming he cimmitted suicide.

So does the wife of a cop that commits suicide still get his pension?

From what has been posted, I believe she would certainly get his pension and in most cases, his life insurance. Social security probably as well for minor children. What she wouldn't get would be the $350K line of duty death benefit.

WELCOME! I thought that was odd, too. Where did you read the transcript>Just wondering if it is the same as the one downstairs. JMO

Yes, downstairs. Also, apologies if it shouldn't have been mentioned here.

Various other organizations payout to spouses but many stipulate for in the line of duty so whether suicide qualifies or not would have to be individually researched.

For instance the NRA Pays $35,000 put that is killed in the line of duty.
Woodmen of the world pay $10,000

Another thing to consider is she possibly could be required to return fundraiser donations if he is found not to have been killed in the line of duty as she collected the funds under that assumption.

Depends on the state fundraising laws. This determination could have huge ramifications for her.

I was basing this on 2013 population figures which states Fox Lake is less than 1% black (97 persons) with 127 of mixed two races or more.

That is less than one percent of the population who could be identified as both male and black.
Even less who would be of the age to run from police and not be identified as child or elderly 10-75 years of age.

This happened on a Tuesday midmorning, not a holiday, school was in session so again while chances are a black man could be from out of town it isn't like walking through downtown Detroit when in Fox Lake.

I think gliniewicz used the description for a reason assuming he cimmitted suicide.

No not remotely like Detroit, in fact it wasn't even down town Fox Lake ,the cement yard is a secluded area know for drug deals, squatters, illegal hunting .Except for students, Fox Lake is still an active place all week long especially on a 90 degree day like the day Lt. Gliniewicz died. And unfortunately a big time quanity of heroin moves through Fox Lake.

Just a note. I read that Snap Fitness Club was the one he and his wife belong (ed) to. I looked on googlemap and it IS north of both the crime scene and the PD, for what it's worth. We do not know if he worked out that morning, though. JMO

I read early on, and I don't think I can find it, that a neighbor saw him leave at 6 a.m. It is possible he did go work out.

Couple of thoughts before nighty night.

Although many of us are talking seriously about the suicide possibility, it has NOT been confirmed. We are still just speculating, based upon what limited information is getting released about the case.

I asked a question a while ago and no one has answered it, that I know of, and have not heard anyone else ask it. But how sure are we that the voice we hear on the recording is in fact LTs voice? It sounds muffled, digitized, etc...to me and as we have seen from his videos, quite different than his normal speak. I would expect that on a call. But I just wonder if any actual analysis has been done in that respect. Where I am going with this would be a trusted person with him at the time who either overpowered him or threatened him, or incapacitated him in some way and murdered him back there. Then calmly radioed it in, pretending to me the LT. Just a thought.

Also, I would like to point out the fact that NO evidence, isn't necessarily "evidence." I keep hearing that because we haven't found the suspects, that they don't exist. Yes, I understand there was a massive manhunt and search dogs and helicopters and perimeters, etc...however...it would not be the first time someone was able to get away without being seen or even ever being caught. There are plenty of unsolved murders out there. To convince me of suicide, I would need evidence OF a suicide, not just a lack of evidence of a murder, such as ballistics, shot trajectory analysis, blood spatter analysis, gunpower residue, etc... I would also want corroborating evidence to support a motive. Sure, being shot in the line of duty pays a hefty sum to the family, but if that were truly a motive, we'd have LEOs offing themselves all the time. I know it isn't completely unheard of, but this takes the cake. Was he having serious money issues, so much so that an able bodied, experienced, intelligent, physically fit man would feel that the only way out would be suicide? I would need more. Was he sick and no one knew? Was his marriage in trouble? Was there an affair? I mean, there has to be something more for me to be convinced, at least at this point.
Finally, I will say this, and it could point to one theory or the other. But reviewing his FB page, the LT was very socially active in the counter-BLM movement. Lots of posts about standing up for LE. Lots of posts anti Obama and Holder. Lots of posts that went against the recent anti-police narratives that have been going around the past couple of years. Maybe this made him a target? Or maybe he felt that going out this way would actually help push the call for supporting LE? It initially did have a huge impact on turning the tables the other way. Suddenly, people were turning on blue porch lights, and posting stuff all over facebook, and going to vigils and going to the funeral procession. Did he think that would happen, he would be hero, his family would be taken care of, and his death would have meant something? If so, did he think he was smarter than all of the investigators involved in the case? He doesn't come across as dumb. He must have been aware that any plan could never be perfectly foolproof.

So while I am starting to veer in the direction of accepting that suicide is a very viable possibility, I am not quite there yet. Peace out all. I hope this case is resolved soon for the peace of his family, his fellow officers and the community.

This is what I was wondering, too.... The money thing makes me wonder. Who gets to enjoy the money and did that person have a hand in this?

Sent from my not so humble opinion.

And someone says the recording of his voice on the call was higher pitched? If his airway was constricted that could cause high pitch sound. Maybe he was being held from behind around the neck - half Nelson or full Nelson style?

Illinois Cop Found Dead in the Woods, Prompting Manhunt, May Have Committed Suicide: Report

http://www.people.com/article/illinois-cop-found-dead-may-have-committed-suicide

That Illinois cop-killing sparked outrage and tears. But was it a suicide?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cide-illinois-officer-death-article-1.2362449

Report: Illinois Police Investigating if Officer Thought to Be Killed Actually Committed Suicide

http://www.newsweek.com/report-illi...-if-officer-thought-be-killed-actually-372761

Illinois officer’s death may have been a suicide, evidence suggests

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ked-outrage-and-a-tears-but-was-it-a-suicide/

I wonder if all these are wrong as well. jmo idk

It seems to be regurgitation of local news. It does bear some consideration that the additional information came from "sources close to the investigation". Battaglia may have been the one to provide this additional information and therefore, not accurate at all.

It seems to be regurgitation of local news. It does bear some consideration that the additional information came from "sources close to the investigation". Battaglia may have been the one to provide this additional information and therefore, not accurate at all.

I agree - I would limit articles to those within the last 24 hours and a good source is the Chicago tribune

I read early on, and I don't think I can find it, that a neighbor saw him leave at 6 a.m. It is possible he did go work out.

Reportedly that was his routine, but we have no confirmation that he did that day. If he left home at 6 he had to have been somewhere for an hour and a half. Maybe they are keeping that mum to see who else saw him that morning. JMO

IDK I have looked around an from what I am reading most insurance policies have "suicide clause" which means they don't pay out. jmo idk It would be interesting to know. jmo idk

Thanks for the pics Duchess. IMO, I don't believe he was considering his finances so much last year. He made a comment more recently that he was not going to participate in Ultra Beast because of the money. I believe, more recently, he was very concerned about his future financial situation.

He sure ran a lot, didn't he? Makes me doubt the lung cancer or terminal disease theory a bit more. He was in great shape. At least in good enough shape to apply for the chief of police opening in Antioch.

In addition, son #3 just graduated High School last May. So with sons #1 and #2 both in college, now he's got a third son going in the same direction.

And the fact that he got passed over for the chief of police position last July. Well, I believe that was a huge disappointment for him. That Facebook post got a large number of comments, over 25. One can tell from reading those comments that many people including him were hoping for a different outcome.

I too think in large part the motive was financial and maybe he was depressed facing retirement and not getting the position for Chief. I wonder if he had applied for any other positions recently? I haven't seen or heard anything that indicates a terminal illness.

Just seems that if it is a suicide, he was feeling really hopeless about something. And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, why would he be concerned that the Explorer program would go on, despite his retirement? There is no apparent reason to think that he couldn't have continued to devote his time to that program, unless he was worried about funding or something. JMO

Just seems that if it is a suicide, he was feeling really hopeless about something. And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, why would he be concerned that the Explorer program would go on, despite his retirement? There is no apparent reason to think that he couldn't have continued to devote his time to that program, unless he was worried about funding or something. JMO

I keep thinking who works out then commits suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missinginfo541