IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the structure of the FLPD, a Lt is the rank immediately below the chief. He would be the highest ranking officer and in charge of his entire shift. I can't imagine he would miss roll call & the standard meeting with the previous Lt to exchange pertinent information. It is even harder to understand why he would miss this for a routine patrol and then spend 20 minutes on scene.

Great post. 100% agree. It seems like he was skipping
Basic protocol for shift change while hanging in a area for 20 minutes without ever dispatching his location . This leads more towards suicide than a homicide. Jmo.

Great post. 100% agree. It seems like he was skipping
Basic protocol for shift change while hanging in a area for 20 minutes without ever dispatching his location . This leads more towards suicide than a homicide. Jmo.

Yeah, there are so many details missing in this saga....if his last day was Aug 31, but he was asked to stay through September, when did that request happen? Was it on Aug 31 at his meeting with the Mayor? So, OK he took the patrol car home, because he was going to work Sept 1. But then the Mayor, who had asked him to stay on through September, texted him on Sept1 to ask him to go to work because there was an officer shooting (and he did not know that the officer down was Gliniewicz) ????? Since he expected CG to work thru September, did it ever occur to him that Gliniewicz would know before HE did that an officer was down, unless the officer was Gliniewicz, himself.??? If the 31 st was his last day, did anyone plan to throw a party for him? Mel G. made a remark later, something to the effect of "why didn't he just walk away"... that to me, meant that SHE expected his last day to be Aug 31, also. What am I missing,here? JMO

Yeah, there are so many details missing in this saga....if his last day was Aug 31, but he was asked to stay through September, when did that request happen? Was it on Aug 31 at his meeting with the Mayor? So, OK he took the patrol car home, because he was going to work Sept 1. But then the Mayor, who had asked him to stay on through September, texted him on Sept1 to ask him to go to work because there was an officer shooting (and he did not know that the officer down was Gliniewicz) ????? Since he expected CG to work thru September, did it ever occur to him that Gliniewicz would know before HE did that an officer was down, unless the officer was Gliniewicz, himself.??? If the 31 st was his last day, did anyone plan to throw a party for him? Mel G. made a remark later, something to the effect of "why didn't he just walk away"... that to me, meant that SHE expected his last day to be Aug 31, also. What am I missing,here? JMO

Agree. Plus wouldn't he be in the office to train a new LT on all the paperwork and procedures and so forth. It seems like he didn't want to communicate or see anyone at the station that morning. Jmo.

Also, I am presuming that the PD EXPECTED him to show up for work, given that he had the patrol car. JMO........and his service weapon and all the PD issued equipment.

Agree. Plus wouldn't he be in the office to train a new LT on all the paperwork and procedures and so forth. It seems like he didn't want to communicate or see anyone at the station that morning. Jmo.

Did he have a major beef with his fellow officers? Why all the secrecy? He had a plan. JMO

What opposite direction? They have no way of knowing what direction the police would come nor do we know what direction they arrived from.

I thought the task force counted a few different escape routes. Wouldn't back up just use one of them, probably the main one?

Evaded police yes. Without a trace of conclusive evidence?

It happens all the time. There is not always conclusive evidence left behind. There are cases where perps do a home invasion and kill people and leave no DNA nor prints behind.

It happens all the time. There is not always conclusive evidence left behind. There are cases where perps do a home invasion and kill people and leave no DNA nor prints behind.

Yes. That happens. Just speculate a bit for me to say why you think he was stealthily murdered, and who would have the motive to murder him? TY JMO

Obviously. If someone was close enough to him to shoot him at close range they couldn't grab both the gun and the radio. The dispatcher should have heard something if lt. CG wasn't alone. The radio should have picked something up if there was a scuffle of some sort.

And again, not unless he had the button pushed in to talk. jmo If the button was not pushed in dispatch heard nothing. jmo

Obviously. If someone was close enough to him to shoot him at close range they couldn't grab both the gun and the radio. The dispatcher should have heard something if lt. CG wasn't alone. The radio should have picked something up if there was a scuffle of some sort.

1bbm Obviously what?

2bbm Why?

3bbmWhy should the radio pick something up?

TIA

attachment.php
What source is there noting that the body was found in the trees as indicated in the picture? In my mind, I have him on Honing/road or the cement plant lot.

What source is there noting that the body was found in the trees as indicated in the picture? In my mind, I have him on Honing/road or the cement plant lot.

Last time he talked to dispatch he said he was OFF the road (following his suspects who were headed toward the swamp. Not on a road or lot....in the brush or trees. JMO

According to the news reports, the Lt's body was found approximately 50 Yards from his vehicle and we know that he was pursuing the the suspects in a direction "towards the swamp." Google Maps provides a scale to measure approximate distance and with that information, I was able to see that SteelMan's map has it about right.

The following link from Aug 8, 2015 announced the selection for the new Antioch police chief who was later sworn in during the 17 Aug 2015 village board meeting. This timing makes the disappointment of not being selected for the position much closer the the Fox Lake chief's suspension & sudden retirement.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150806/news/150809284/

Did something else happen in May 2015 in Antioch?

No my error,thanks for the correction.As you say it makes those 2 dates even closer plus what are the chances a guy who's nearing retirement happens to have Chief Of Police positions open up in the town he resided in and also the town next door where he worked for 30 years.That's a real tsunami of rejection for the kind of man he appeared to be.

I think he shot himself the first time right before the first or second call to dispatch. Jmo

If he shot himself before the first call to dispatch, it could account for his "stressed" voice on the scanner thread. Maybe the vest shot knocked enough wind out of him to do that.

I believe it was a little bit hype and a little bit fact.

When an officers says to go ahead and send backup, you (a dispatcher) doesn't expect to not hear anything more from them again.

Exactly, I listen to scanner everyday, fire ambulance & police oh and the winged ambulance here as well. There is not conversation so to speak, more like map locations & reason for going, short & sweet. jmo idk

I have doing a lot of thinking about the map I posted earlier and the timeline we have from the GPS information and the LT's radio traffic.

We know from the GPS in his vehicle that the LT was on site (parked at the gate on Honing Road for 20 Minutes before he first radioed in to report the three suspects.

If you look at the map and imagine him sitting in his car, you can also imagine his field of view from that perspective. (I'll try to illustrate it - see attached)

It is obvious, looking that the map and the outline of the Lt's likely field of vision, that the three suspects that he described would have either had to walk into his field of view AFTER he had been parked there for some time. Or, they were there for as much as 20 Minutes and they would have been completely able to see him and his car - before he finally radioed in that he was going to check them out.

Bottom Line: Knowing that the Lt's car was at that gate for 20 minutes before he first radioed in, the map and the outline of his most likely field of vision does not support the Lt's report that the three suspects were there.

If they were there and if they were up to no good, they could easily see him and his car from that area. Then to consider the Lt's claim that "THEY headed towards the swamp?" It's highly unlikely, since the swamp area is so close to the road there.

There is no logical reason for why they would wait 20 minutes for the LT to exit his car, before they would then flee from him.

Lt's FOV.JPG

I thought his body was 50 yards.

The backup units arrived at 8:01 and found their fellow officer dead, roughly 50 yards from his vehicle, at 8:09, Filenko said.

http://fox6now.com/2015/09/08/fox-l...-suspects-ongoing-fbi-sifts-through-evidence/

Yes, the reports were 50 yards and the Lt was reportedly chasing the suspects into the swamp. I used google map's scale to clock of 50 yards and it's pretty much what SteelMan has outlined. I don't know why he (and I) put it at 500 feet. It should have been closer to 1500 feet (as Google's Scale shows.)

Do we know? or is that info available? How accurate is this gps as far as saying that the unit moved 10 feet from one minute to the next, is it that accurate that if he or the vehicle moved 100 feet that gps would pick this up/know this? Idk jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966