IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that he had many issues converging in his life and was considering suicide that morning for the first time. Nobody saw the signs because he probably never seriously considered it in the past. That could be the reason he was on scene for 20 minutes prior to the shooting. It could also explain the lack of an elaborately staged incident/scene. The fact that he mentioned the 3 males that he likely saw walking along the road, (who were later cleared of any involvement) tells me that he did not have any plan thought out prior to leaving for work that morning. Once he made up his mind that he was going to commit suicide, he may have quickly come up with the idea to try to disguise the suicide for the sake of his family.

Since it it has been over a month and LE still hasn't been able to declare this a suicide or homocide, it seems that his actions, if this was a suicide, have introduced a significant amount of confusion and difficulty for investigators.

I continue to weigh all the information we know to be valid,for me everything's still on the table. I'm still leaning towards homicide.... However this suicide scenario you've given us is elegant in it's simplicity.

Good perspective

We might be trying too hard to find complex explanations that put ourselves in Lt. Joe's shoes, the perp's shoes etc, etc.

(edit) The toxicology report may reveal more about the 20 minute post arrival "epiphany" etc... in your scenario.

I think that he had many issues converging in his life and was considering suicide that morning for the first time. Nobody saw the signs because he probably never seriously considered it in the past. That could be the reason he was on scene for 20 minutes prior to the shooting. It could also explain the lack of an elaborately staged incident/scene. The fact that he mentioned the 3 males that he likely saw walking along the road, (who were later cleared of any involvement) tells me that he did not have any plan thought out prior to leaving for work that morning. Once he made up his mind that he was going to commit suicide, he may have quickly come up with the idea to try to disguise the suicide for the sake of his family.

Since it it has been over a month and LE still hasn't been able to declare this a suicide or homocide, it seems that his actions, if this was a suicide, have introduced a significant amount of confusion and difficulty for investigators.

Maybe he was a quick thinker-decider, but I think that he had general ideation before that morning. The timing, to me, tells a story. He may have thought that he had covered all the bases, but he did not. Pretty good job, though. JUST MY OPINION

Gliniewicz planned to retire last month, Chicago TV station WMAQ reported. But the police chief asked him to stay one more month to help out.

The day before his death, Gliniewicz met with Mayor Donny Schmit to discuss his retirement plans and to make sure the Explorers program continued without him, CNN affiliate WLS said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/02/us/who-was-officer-joe-gliniewicz/

Bolded by Me.

That article seriously stood out to me when I first read it along with another article and the claim that Lt Gliniewicz was personally policing the area where he was found - because the subject came up weeks earlier - that there were problems with vagrants and vandalism in the area. . .

I thought, Really?

So, it takes a police lieutenant only weeks away from retirement to take on this task?

He can't assign that to a junior officer or even a rookie?

Something really fishy about that.

He may have, and assured them that all is well. I do not doubt his dedication to the program, but if he was ideating suicide the last time he spoke to them, he MAY have tried to explain how things change, but all is the same. I hope he did, anyway. JMO

Rudd said he felt sorry for the family since the task force have to investigate his home computers for possible suicide related searches.

Now Rudd didn't say it word for word. But it was definitely the gist of what he was saying. Because we all know that to rule out a suicide on this. They may have to look at his computers to make sure that he wasn't planning anything. Jmo

A long way back in the threads, it was reported, to my recollection, that the Mayor said (either the day of or the day after his death) that he (the mayor) texted Joe that morning when he heard about the shooting, for the purpose of alerting Joe to go to work because of the shooting event.......not knowing that it was Joe who had been shot.......Does this ring a bell for anyone? JMO

A long way back in the threads, it was reported, to my recollection, that the Mayor said (either the day of or the day after his death) that he (the mayor) texted Joe that morning when he heard about the shooting, for the purpose of alerting Joe to go to work because of the shooting event.......not knowing that it was Joe who had been shot.......Does this ring a bell for anyone? JMO

Link Please? Lol ( Just Kidding Emoji )

The next day, when he first learned that an officer had been shot, the mayor texted Gliniewicz, “Hey Joe. Call in right away. We need you,” Schmit said. “And then I found out it was him.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-killed-illinois-verge-retirement-gliniewicz

I continue to weigh all the information we know to be valid,for me everything's still on the table. I'm still leaning towards homicide.... However this suicide scenario you've given us is elegant in it's simplicity.

Good perspective

With all due respect for Boo Radley. . .

You credit him/ her for originating that possibility?

Really?

I sometimes wonder if maybe CG didn't really want to retire yet. I didn't see his FB but those of you who did, was it mentioned?

I think that he had many issues converging in his life and was considering suicide that morning for the first time.

I know it's nitpicking to say this but I can't imagine anyone reaching the age of 52 before having their first ever suicidal thought. I am 53 myself and I have had more than my share of suicidal thoughts in my life.

Nobody saw the signs because he probably never seriously considered it in the past.

That is also not different from my own situation and experience.

That could be the reason he was on scene for 20 minutes prior to the shooting. It could also explain the lack of an elaborately staged incident/scene. The fact that he mentioned the 3 males that he likely saw walking along the road, (who were later cleared of any involvement) tells me that he did not have any plan thought out prior to leaving for work that morning. Once he made up his mind that he was going to commit suicide, he may have quickly come up with the idea to try to disguise the suicide for the sake of his family.

This is right along the same lines that several of us have been suggesting as a possibility for several days (even weeks) now..

Since it it has been over a month and LE still hasn't been able to declare this a suicide or homicide, it seems that his actions, if this was a suicide, have introduced a significant amount of confusion and difficulty for investigators.

BBM, I think the conclusion that this was a suicide would be simple enough - but they WANT to believe that it was NOT a suicide so badly that they are going to exhaust every aspect of their investigation that they can - to try to find a way to eliminate that possibility and to try to find something (anything) to rule it as a homicide.

Yes.

I do remember that report too, Cady.

With all due respect for Boo Radley. . .

You credit him/ her for originating that possibility?

Really?

That (IF it was suicide) it wasn't a serious consideration until that morning? That the rather spontaneous decision explains a poorly staged suicide?

Did you originate that? I don't recall seeing it...
Nice work if you did.

I don't care who's the smartest guy in the room, something about this case bothers me..

That (IF it was suicide) it wasn't a serious consideration until that morning? That the rather spontaneous decision explains a poorly staged suicide?

Did you originate that? I don't recall seeing it...
Nice work if you did.

I don't care who's the smartest guy in the room, something about this case bothers me..

I am not looking for credit so much as I am wondering how it was missed that I and others have been saying pretty much the same thing for weeks now. And I did in fact make a post that it may have been a last minute decision even before we knew he was there 20 minutes before he radioed in.

Like I said, I am not looking for credit. But, that said. . . many of us put a lot of effort into our thoughts and research. So, there's a little bit of frustration and disbelief when it is credited or attributed to someone else.

That's all.

The fact that he mentioned the 3 males that he likely saw walking along the road, (who were later cleared of any involvement) ....
I don't believe the 3 males referred to in the call and 3 males observed on various videos and questioned were ever officially connected.

I am not looking for credit so much as I am wondering how it was missed that I and others have been saying pretty much the same thing for weeks now. And I did in fact make a post that it may have been a last minute decision even before we knew he was there 20 minutes before he radioed in.

Like I said, I am not looking for credit. But, that said. . . many of us put a lot of effort into our thoughts and research. So, there's a little bit of frustration and disbelief when it is credited or attributed to someone else.

That's all.

Just using your post as a jumping-off point. With respect -- and I mean this, and hope I'm not sounding sappy -- I want to give credit to everyone who has participated in this thread. I think that if this is a discussion with two sides, each side has made the other think harder. I am fairly sure of what I think has happened, but I'm open, and I think that most of us here are that way.

All that being said, I do give some credit for Cubby for being the first person to realize that something was rotten in Denmark, and being the first person to open our eyes to the possibility of suicide -- well before any MSM would even dare to suggest such a thing. I think that most of us were willing to accept the MSM's initial definition of the situation without question when the story started to unfold -- I am guessing many of us were in shock and grief, and so I credit Cubby for starting the conversation. But since then, there have been many people on both sides of the equation that have helped us all sharpen our focus.

Just using your post as a jumping-off point. With respect -- and I mean this, and hope I'm not sounding sappy -- I want to give credit to everyone who has participated in this thread. I think that if this is a discussion with two sides, each side has made the other think harder. I am fairly sure of what I think has happened, but I'm open, and I think that most of us here are that way.

All that being said, I do give some credit for Cubby for being the first person to realize that something was rotten in Denmark, and being the first person to open our eyes to the possibility of suicide -- well before any MSM would even dare to suggest such a thing. I think that most of us were willing to accept the MSM's initial definition of the situation without question when the story started to unfold -- I am guessing many of us were in shock and grief, and so I credit Cubby for starting the conversation. But since then, there have been many people on both sides of the equation that have helped us all sharpen our focus.

I appreciate your thoughts and observations on this too, Montjoy. And I agree, there have been a lot of thought provoking posts on all sides. It has been an education and for the most part it's been very civil and respectful towards the Lt's family.

I was a latecomer to this thread, myself. I knew there would be a thread here because the story was all over the news and I knew sleuthers would be chiming in with theories during the manhunt. I forget how far into the manhunt it was, when I first thought that it could have been a suicide and shortly after that, I logged in and started reading (and liking) the posts of Cubby and others who were (seemingly) getting the same vibes that I was.

I was relieved, actually - to see that others had already breached the idea before I had to.

I wonder why we've heard two different versions of Lt.CG's upcoming/delayed retirement, and why hadn't Lt.CG taken care of the paperwork for his retirement? We've heard that Lt.CG was to retire at the end of the year, but moved his retirement plans up to end of Sept., and we've heard that he was to retire at end of August but was asked to stay on longer, I think to end of Sept. was it? So which is it? IMO, I don't think Lt.CG was looking forward to retiring. Was Lt.CG being pressured to retire? And if so, why?

I wonder why we've heard two different versions of Lt.CG's upcoming/delayed retirement, and why hadn't Lt.CG taken care of the paperwork for his retirement? We've heard that Lt.CG was to retire at the end of the year, but moved his retirement plans up to end of Sept., and we've heard that he was to retire at end of August but was asked to stay on longer, I think to end of Sept. was it? So which is it? IMO, I don't think Lt.CG was looking forward to retiring. Was Lt.CG being pressured to retire? And if so, why?

Sometimes indecisiveness can be a symptom of depression. People who are depressed are often advised to not make any big decisions because they're not seeing things clearly. To me the way it sounds, like he was indecisive, maybe erratic, maybe clearing up some things, hasty meeting, etc., could easily be explained by depression. His judgment might have been clouded by his mood, pessimism, hopelessness, self-doubt and confusion.

JMO.

Sometimes indecisiveness can be a symptom of depression. People who are depressed are often advised to not make any big decisions because they're not seeing things clearly. To me the way it sounds, like he was indecisive, maybe erratic, maybe clearing up some things, hasty meeting, etc., could easily be explained by depression. His judgment might have been clouded by his mood, pessimism, hopelessness, self-doubt and confusion.

JMO.

Or maybe his wife was hoping he would retire but he didn't feel ready yet and he was torn on what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jadea02