IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FLPD officer Federly is supposedly the next in command with the Explorers. Why would he be unwilling to take the lead? That could be another angle here. He might not want to be the lead because he knows about the investigation and doesn't want anything to do with it. Or he too may not be allowed to be the leader and was being removed just like Gliniewicz.

I'm assuming your speculating since the LT wasn't actually removed from anything, right?

Because his wife, mayor and everyone said he was planning to retire soon. So if he was then why didn't he do his duty for his successor?

According to the mayor, that is what was discussed in the meeting they had just prior to his death.

According to the mayor, that is what was discussed in the meeting they had just prior to his death.

My understanding of what we know of the conversation is that he was concerned and wanted reassurance that the Explorers program would continue in his absence. That does not sound like he had his ducks in order, to me, as far as the Explorers were concerned. JMO...................More like he had no choice, in the matter. JMO

I'm assuming your speculating since the LT wasn't actually removed from anything, right?

No, it isn't speculation. Joe was being removed because you must be a member of the charter PD to remain leader. Joe was retiring and would not be allowed to stay leader of the program.

No, it isn't speculation. Joe was being removed because you must be a member of the charter PD to remain leader. Joe was retiring and would not be allowed to stay leader of the program.

What about Fedderly, or whatever his name is? JMO

Please go back to front of this thread. We have discussed this already.

This phrase is what you ned to think about. Why would you need to restructure, make nee goals and figure out how it serve going forward if it was already doing all that? Hmmmm...???

"The entire program is being looked at in terms of its structure, its mission goals and how the program can serve as a valuable asset for youth going forward," Bayless said.

There have been accusations here that Lt G was negligent in making sure the program continued when he retired. I don't see anything to show that in this article:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84689160/

Here is what I see:

"After his death, Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit said Gliniewicz had talked about retiring but wanted to make sure he could continue to mentor kids through the program."

That looks to me like he was making preparations for the program.

And here is what Bayless said:

Fox Lake village spokesman Dave Bayless said the post remains active but has been secured as part of the village's ongoing review of police assets, equipment and vehicles.

In September, village officials released a statement saying that at the time of Gliniewicz's death, Fox Lake had been in the process of conducting an "inventory review" of police department procedures and equipment following former Chief Michael Behan's retirement Aug. 28.

Behan had announced his retirement shortly after he was placed on paid leave as part of an internal investigation into how police handled a December 2014 arrest. The review was "standard and considered a best practice" as part of a change in leadership, village officials said in the statement.

Although the Explorer program is currently still running, the village is reassessing it, Bayless said.

"The entire program is being looked at in terms of its structure, its mission goals and how the program can serve as a valuable asset for youth going forward," Bayless said.

The police department audit is ongoing and is taking longer than village officials had expected, Bayless said.

The village was in contact with the Boy Scouts of America leadership late last week regarding the program's future and its leadership going forward, Bayles said.

How does anything he said prove that Lt G was negligent?

My understanding of what we know of the conversation is that he was concerned and wanted reassurance that the Explorers program would continue in his absence. That does not sound like he had his ducks in order, to me, as far as the Explorers were concerned. JMO...................More like he had no choice, in the matter. JMO

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-84689160/

Here is what I see:

"After his death, Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit said Gliniewicz had talked about retiring but wanted to make sure he could continue to mentor kids through the program."

That looks to me like he was making preparations for remaining with the program. Where does it say that he could not do so? And how is this evidence that he was neglecting his duties to the program?

Officer Fedderly is on th FLPD.
And according to Mel he is now in charge but I guys the program is still up in the air.

So, they need two and no one is volunteering? JMO

This phrase is what you ned to think about. Why would you need to restructure, make nee goals and figure out how it serve going forward if it was already doing all that? Hmmmm...???

Anytime a leader of a program is unexpectedly gone, that is the sort of stuff that follows, imo. It does not mean that Lt G was negligent or incompetent. The PD is just reevaluating the need for the program now. It happens all of the time. I used to work in a high school. Programs were coming and going all of the time. It is just how things work. Especially if the staff adviser retires or transfers and no one else who us as committed steps up.

So, they need two and no one is volunteering? JMO

I don't know if they need two. Probably helps to have two so if anything happens. I dint know I'd anyone is volunteering. It sounds to me that PD is reconsidering the charter because of whatever went on before Joe died.

This is something that confuses me because this a nationwide program. What's going on in the Fox Lake post that it needs a special review? The structure, goals and how it's an asset should all be in line with other Explorer groups. Unless the leaders in Fox Lake wandered away from the standard guidelines and policies?

He was not unexpected gone. He was retiring. Everyone knew it.

[QUOTE=katydid23;12116899]Anytime a leader of a program is unexpectedly gone, that is the sort of stuff that follows, imo. It does not mean that Lt G was negligent or incompetent. The PD is just reevaluating the need for the program now. It happens all of the time. I used to work in a high school. Programs were coming and going all of the time. It is just how things work. Especially if the staff adviser retires or transfers and no one else who us as committed steps up.[/QUOTE]

But you were stating he was 'being removed' as if it was a punishment of some sort. You even said the same thing about Federly, with no evidence as far as I know.

There is a difference between retiring and 'being removed' as the leader.

He was not unexpected gone. He was retiring. Everyone knew it.

[QUOTE=katydid23;12116899]Anytime a leader of a program is unexpectedly gone, that is the sort of stuff that follows, imo. It does not mean that Lt G was negligent or incompetent. The PD is just reevaluating the need for the program now. It happens all of the time. I used to work in a high school. Programs were coming and going all of the time. It is just how things work. Especially if the staff adviser retires or transfers and no one else who us as committed steps up.
[/QUOTE]

But he had NOT yet retired. So how can you say he was negligent for not setting up the Explorers for his retirement if he had not even turned in retirement papers?

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-84689160/

Here is what I see:

That looks to me like he was making preparations for remaining with the program. Where does it say that he could not do so? And how is this evidence that he was neglecting his duties to the program?

I don't see why he could not continue to mentor, unless to do that he had to still be employed by the FLPD. He started (as far as I know) looking for work elsewhere back in the spring, so if continuing to mentor Post 300 was an issue back then, why did he not ask about his ability to mentor back when he was looking at leaving Fox Lake? Then, he did not get the jobs that he applied for, so he was thinking about retiring, but had done nothing about it formally, and did not discuss the issue of his relationship with Explorers until Aug 31? He as the Leader and Mentor, really owed it to the kids to secure a smooth transition of leadership, in my opinion. JMO

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-police-explorers-st-1013-20151012-story.html

"The village was in contact with the Boy Scouts of America leadership late last week regarding the program's future and its leadership going forward, Bayles said.

Hale said Boy Scouts officials spoke briefly with Fox Lake police last Thursday and were asked what the program needed in order to carry on. Hale said the post doesn't have enough leaders under Boy Scouts requirements to continue without Gliniewicz.

"Right now, we're on hold until the police department says, 'We're a go, and here's our new leader,'" Hale said."

More at link.

It confused me some too because while I understand the charter controls the program they shouldn't control the assets that the kids brought through donations and work. That should be part of the overall program.

This is something that confuses me because this a nationwide program. What's going on in the Fox Lake post that it needs a special review? The structure, goals and how it's an asset should all be in line with other Explorer groups. Unless the leaders in Fox Lake wandered away from the standard guidelines and policies?

But you were stating he was 'being removed' as if it was a punishment of some sort. You even said the same thing about Federly, with no evidence as far as I know.

There is a difference between retiring and 'being removed' as the leader.

No there is not a difference. None. He was being removed whether because he was retiring or because he was being forced to retire or because of something else.

My son was in a high school explorers program. And since then he has met several others who were in other Explorer programs. It seems that different programs had very different ways of setting up their programs. In our high school's program, the students went into the local PD station and worked in the office. Sometimes they helped direct traffic in big events.
They were like interns.

My friend was in another E program and they did none of the above. They just had meetings and discussed a criminal justice career and did team building stuff with officers. And played basketball. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli