IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If him and rudd is working together and he feels this should be concluded by November; Then it's suicide. Because rudd has clearly stated that there is nothing else he could do without more.

Plus it also seems like a mod of undetermined is not going down. Because undetermined isnt concluding anything. Jmo

At what point does it become a cold case? And what does that really mean?

A cold case generally means when no one is still actively investigating but it's unsolved. I hope that doesn't happen her simply because they refuse to admit suicide.

I found this article someone linked on a site. It is a case that is EXTREMELY similar to this case:

In The Line Of Duty?
Suicide Or Murder: Cop's Death Pits Police Vs. Family

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...7_1_ranking-officer-police-department-recalls

EDIT: THIS IS A MUST READ! It is VERY SIMILAR in all we are discussing!!

>>>>> But as a kind of professional courtesy, fellow officers are reluctant to ascribe a policeman's death to suicide if there's any chance of interpreting the facts otherwise.<<<<<

And this task force has screamed "otherwise interpreting the facts" to me since the get go.

I found this article someone linked on a site. It is a case that is EXTREMELY similar to this case:

In The Line Of Duty?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...7_1_ranking-officer-police-department-recalls

I don't see too many similarities. The article you linked is prior to dna being used in cases, plus the mob was more active then....

Maybe I interpret things differently. I find a lot of similarities. It isn't a carbon copy. I won't list them all out as I see it as it's late.

In The Line Of Duty?

Well worth reading. I see a lot of comparisons to be examined. However something troubled me about this coroner's findings .(see below) What if he used his thumb to squeeze the trigger?

"DiMaio ruled out suicide because the nature of O'Mara's wound indicated the weapon that made it had been 4 to 6 inches from his head. To get his finger around the trigger, O'Mara would have had to hold his hands bent backwards, an extremely uncomfortable position. People committing suicide, DiMaio noted, almost invariably hold a gun to their heads."

It wasn't much, imo. It was nice to see Filenko a little more relaxed and less defensive than in the pressers, but there wasn't really anything directly related to answers in Lt. CG's case.
Meh. I didn't see the 6:00, but the 10:00 was a repair Filenko's standing with the public piece. Nothing new in the case. Keep it alive with vague statements of future potential activity.

Interesting that his credibility has been called into question by "I-Team Investigates viewers", whomever that is specifically. I'm not sure sure his credibility and/or training have been called into question here. Rather, it is his ability to interact effectively and constructively with a community affected by an investigation, other involved agencies, and the general public. He certainly was prepared with a thick binder of all manner of course certificates.

Well worth reading. I see a lot of comparisons to be examined. However something troubled me about this coroner's findings .(see below) What if he used his thumb to squeeze the trigger?

"DiMaio ruled out suicide because the nature of O'Mara's wound indicated the weapon that made it had been 4 to 6 inches from his head. To get his finger around the trigger, O'Mara would have had to hold his hands bent backwards, an extremely uncomfortable position. People committing suicide, DiMaio noted, almost invariably hold a gun to their heads."

If you do a google search more information will come up on this crime. I know this thread is for the LT. But we haven't had much to compare this particular case to. Glad to know I am not only one who saw certain similarities. I will say from reading this case, better to be thorough than hasty if it truly is difficult to determine, which it very well may be.

I need to try and visualize better what you are saying about his thumb.

Here is a few other similarities to the LT situation. New article but from 1990. We know from Filenko the Lt was asked to take part in the investigation.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...72_1_suicide-investigators-insurance-benefits

Barbara O`Mara, in sworn testimony, contended that the department shortchanged the investigation because of a longstanding feud between her husband and another high-ranking officer. In 1973, O`Mara had conducted an investigation of a sheriff`s officer in conjunction with a theft ring operating at a Niles shopping complex. That sheriff`s officer was never charged with any wrongdoing. Before retiring from the department, he was involved in the investigation of O`Mara`s death.

At first he thought O`Mara had suffered a heart attack, according to Bernard, so he called paramedics who turned O`Mara from his stomach onto his back, inadvertently altering the crime scene. When paramedics saw the gunshot wound, they phoned Markham police. Markham police Capt. James Hunt said sheriff`s officers asked to take over the case, saying it would be ``neater and cleaner`` for them to investigate the death of one of their own.

Moreover, tests did not conclude whether O`Mara had held and fired his own service revolver. Investigators said the fingerprints on the weapon were too poor to match and that there were insufficient quantities of chemicals on his hand to indicate he had fired a weapon.

Horist said that one suspect in the shooting was a former sheriff`s officer who had been working under O`Mara and had been suspended for alcohol- related problems a month before the shooting. According to Horist and others in the department, the man had said he would get revenge.

Last December, Horist said, the department used a national fingerprint-matching network to try to identify the print on the paper scrap. The search was unsuccessful.

Including several certificates that say "Shop with a Cop."

Bizarre!
It's a common program around here where the police take underprivileged kids from the area to stores to shop for back-to-school clothes and supplies.

Bizarre!
The best one was Certificate of Attendance for "homicide and questionable death invetigating" seminar.

In fact several were for attending seminars. I always throw my seminar certificates away at the hotel before I leave....

Bizarre!

It's a common program around here where the police take underprivileged kids from the area to stores to shop for back-to-school clothes and supplies.

Understood.

But why is it being to used to bolster Filenko's qualifications for conducting this investigation?

In The Line Of Duty?

I specifically remember this case from way back then and had thought about it throughout this case, but couldn't remember the details. One detail I do remember - that the news reported it as a suicide almost immediately, like within that day or the next day. But it was very quick. Then I never heard another word about it until just now. I had no idea that his family had been fighting this all along. Eerily familiar to this case.

And, if the Task Committee wants the public to trust and respect their capabilities, give us something case related to chew on.
In part, the media is to blame when they promote breaking news then make you wait to hear it. After waiting in anticipation, the news ends up being a self promoting task force pep talk that leaves the captive audience pizzed off - brilliant!

Would the case being closed by the end of Nov. as Filenko has stated, mean totally closed, or just suicide vs. murder? I take a closed case to mean closed. No longer looking for suspects, nothing else to do once it's closed.

Same here, which makes me think that they believe the determination will be suicide, since you can't impose a timeline on a murder investigation, but they seem comfortable putting a timeline on the closure of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper