IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they have already been notified. None of this would be made public without having already notified next of kin.

I think it would have been more difficult if the announcement had been held until the end of November. At least the investigation is not going to be continuing into the holidays.

I'm sure they were already notified too, I just think it will be even worse for them tomorrow after the press conference.

Hopefully they'll reveal details tomorrow. The public deserves to know imo.

I'm really sad for all those people who believed in LT. Like the earnest kids in the Explorers, the people who hung blue ribbons and posters, donated money to fund-raisers, cops who came from other states and even foreign countries to support the family and LE community, those anonymous people who cried silently for yet another cop shot in the course of duty. I think of the high schooler who was interviewed on national TV. He explained how he wanted to go into LE as a result of this. He seemed so fresh-faced and trusting. Everyone's faith has been betrayed. Not just his family. We've all been hurt. The image of cops has been hurt.

I'm sure they were already notified too, I just think it will be even worse for them tomorrow after the press conference.

Depending on the extent of the theft if true, it is important to know if she knew what was going on.

I agree - they should not collect anything for line of duty death. But his standard death benefit, they should still collect.

Can I play devil's advocate with you on this?

If his family was already benefiting from any illegal and or fraudulent activity that the LT might have been involved in - even prior to his death. . . Why do you think they would also be entitled to his death benefits?

I don't see how they would be so entitled.

Oh no, another crook in Illinois. Shocking!

That crossed my mind..... as thise of us locals are seeing personal property belonging to the former comptroller of Dixon Il being sold to pay for the millions she stole from the town. I'm not suggesting Lt. CG was in any way dipping into the cookie jar to the extent of the Dixon case...

BUT let's be real here. If it is true that he was misusing police funds this suicide wasn't about depression or mental illness. It was a choice to end his life rather than face shame.

Just a note. I don't have a link, but since I am fairly local and was actually among many friends this evening that live in Fox Lake and many on social media, I am absolutely SHOCKED at the response I am hearing. It has been overwhelmingly disbelief in the suicide theory and MANY saying it is a cover up and an inside job. These are people with connections to local LE in the community. I wasn't expecting it. I was expecting everyone to say they had suspected this, or perhaps sad to hear this, but I couldn't believe the response out there. Seriously. Check some of the comments on the local stories out there, especially FB's of the bigger news outlets like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX local affiliates. It's pretty heated.

I'm not on any social media, but I am in Lake County and can confirm that sources closely tied to L. E. have been saying inside job over the past few weeks.

I want to believe she was completely oblivious to any possible misuse of police funds.

Wasn't it vestigare who posted that link to an Explorers forum where Lt CG had posted something about pretty much getting to purchase whatever he wanted for the Explorers and about his being number 2 in rank just below the chief? That link has more relevence now.

If it was suicide, please remember that a suicidal person isn't thinking rationally. By definition, they are mentally ill. If Lt. G. did kill himself, he was fighting an internal battle and lost. I'm sure he had no intention of hurting anyone else. He wanted to end the pain and torment he was facing.

I hope the police give us a plethora of information tomorrow. So many unanswered questions.

If it is true that he was misusing police funds this suicide wasn't about depression or mental illness. It was a choice to end his life rather than face shame.
Snipped for brevity , Emphasis mine

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3302697/Investigators-discuss-new-information-officers-death.html
Officer is suspected of using police funds for personal use and vacations

It's possible his wife knew what was going on ; imo.
Where did she think the money came from for the vacations ?

What a sad development ; especially for those in the family who didn't know about his past activities. :(

One would assume the PD must be sure of themselves before announcing this.
:moo:

If it was suicide, please remember that a suicidal person isn't thinking rationally. By definition, they are mentally ill. If Lt. G. did kill himself, he was fighting an internal battle and lost. I'm sure he had no intention of hurting anyone else. He wanted to end the pain and torment he was facing.

I hope the police give us a plethora of information tomorrow. So many unanswered questions.
RSBM

Kind of hard for his loved ones, though --- to put them through this ?
MOO

http://ltjoslyn.proboards.com/thread/31/post-300

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:03pm QuotePost by gijoe on Dec 22, 2007 at 11:03pm
It's tough without support, I'm #2 in our department so I pretty much can do what ever training I like as long as I can justify it and have a documented risk assessment to keep the chief from stopping any of it. In fact we just got our training flash-bangs in.....Exploders love them!!!!! This competition we are going to next month is pretty cool......My goal over the next two years is to sponser this type of competition here in the midwest!!!!

LT"G"

Here is the post I was thinking about.

Everyone's faith has been betrayed. Not just his family. We've all been hurt. The image of cops has been hurt.
SABBM Snipped for brevity

Yes, it has -- and just at a time in the U.S. when people need to be able to trust law enforcement.
Tragic for everyone. :(
But one man's actions will not represent an entire institution (LE) ; at least not for me and mine.
IMO

Surprised.

The officer had agreed to look into reports of vandalism in the area at a recent meeting with village officials, police said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...cz-st-1104-20151103-story.html#navtype=outfit

I wonder when this meeting was and who was there that would know he would be there?

Let me get this straight, There was a altercation in the police station/jail Dec 2014 for some reason it took months to be investigated and when it was the chief takes early retirement and joe is asked to stay. So when was this meeting for joe to look into vandalism?

I find this offensive to people who suffer from mental illness. The only torment Lt. CG was facing was the torment of the consequences of being caught misusing police funds. What's the saying, we all pay-the price of self discipline or the price of regret. Jesse Jackson junior and his wife misused funds. Neither killed themself over it. They are each doing their time. It's really unfair to confuse mental illness with a suicide to avoid the consequences of criminal behavior.

I'm really sad for all those people who believed in LT. Like the earnest kids in the Explorers, the people who hung blue ribbons and posters, donated money to fund-raisers, cops who came from other states and even foreign countries to support the family and LE community, those anonymous people who cried silently for yet another cop shot in the course of duty. I think of the high schooler who was interviewed on national TV. He explained how he wanted to go into LE as a result of this. He seemed so fresh-faced and trusting. Everyone's faith has been betrayed. Not just his family. We've all been hurt. The image of cops has been hurt.

I had to log in to thank you for your post. The pain and betrayal felt by all affected by this must be very deep, and very hard to deal with. So many people hurt by Lt.Gliniewicz's suicide and whatever is going to come out, his family, friends, co-workers and the community, plus all the many other people who looked up to him and honored him, makes this so much more tragic. I hope one day they will be able to forgive Lt.Gliniewicz.

I have read many comments on FB articles tonight from many people, some who seem to have known Lt.Gliniewicz, who say they do not believe this was a suicide, but think this was an inside job and cover up of murder. I think this was definitely suicide, but I am surprised at the number of people posting on various sites who do not believe this. I wonder what all will be revealed tomorrow? This case is just horrible, and I'm glad there's hopefully going to be answers during the press conference. I feel terrible for his family, and I hope for their sakes this case is resolved soon. I wonder if the investigations will continue? I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Just a note. I don't have a link, but since I am fairly local and was actually among many friends this evening that live in Fox Lake and many on social media, I am absolutely SHOCKED at the response I am hearing. It has been overwhelmingly disbelief in the suicide theory and MANY saying it is a cover up and an inside job. These are people with connections to local LE in the community. I wasn't expecting it. I was expecting everyone to say they had suspected this, or perhaps sad to hear this, but I couldn't believe the response out there. Seriously. Check some of the comments on the local stories out there, especially FB's of the bigger news outlets like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX local affiliates. It's pretty heated.

Yes, I've been reading a lot of these comments also. I'm very surprised so many don't believe this was a suicide. I hope there will be answers tomorrow as to what happened and why.

And in at least one media report, Rudd questioned how a killer could get close enough to attack Gliniewicz, who had served in the military and was a longtime police officer.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151103/news/151109675/

bbm Well if this was a game show my answer would be if they knew each other.

Kind off makes sense with him being in the same area for 20 minutes. jmo

IDK something still smells.

RSBM

Kind of hard for his loved ones, though --- to put them through this ?
MOO

In my view, (based on the evidence and reports we have so far) the only one responsible for the pain and suffering that the LT's family is going through is the LT himself. We can still have sympathy and even empathy for his loved ones but (imo) as sleuthers, we shouldn't turn a blind eye to any crimes committed or to any culpability for those actions. Police officers are not impervious to corruption. So, I don't think they should be held any less accountable than any other common citizen would be held. If anything, due to the amount of publc trust, they should be held even more accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper