IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If they're expected to be so robotic that they don't take care of their own,I wouldn't expect them to put much heart into taking care of those they protect and serve.

When people say "take care of their own" as a euphemism for meaning "giving special privileges to their own" then that's pretty much the opposite of taking care of those they [-ARE PAID TO, BY THOSE VERY SAME PEOPLE-] protect and serve.

Unless you mean "protect and serve [ourselves]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

http://www.aele.org/loscode2000.html

This may help with what I was trying to say, again not saying it's right, just trying to explain LE code of silence....

Oh, I'm sure that everyone reading here knows about the LE code of silence (corruption). And I know that you're not saying that it's right, as you've said before.

But I ask you -- do you think it is right or wrong?

Without a doubt, I will say that it is wrong. It's unjustifiable. In my opinion, every police officer who ignores crimes committed by other police officers should be fired and prosecuted.

This sounds like saying 'boys will be boys'. I don't buy that at all.

I think it's a totally false dichotomy to say that either LEOs are 'human' (hence prone to corruption) on the one hand, or unmotivated to protect and serve, on the other. In fact, I think it's a terrible dichotomy.

Being a professional -- that is, someone who is paid to do a job -- entails that you are a human that respects his/her responsibilities. We're not talking about LEOs being artists. They are paid to protect and serve *everyone* -- not just some people, or some more than others. They are paid to follow a code -- not to pursue self-interest and greed by being corrupt when it serves them.Being professional and following the rules does not make one a robot. It makes one a decent, responsible adult who deserves the pay they are given.

BBM
Following the rules 100% of the time makes one a Robot or a Pharisee.I completely understand there's limits,but sometimes a little grace can work miracles.

Having had not one but two off duty cops get drunk and kill people in my city over the last two years (oh, and leave the accident scene and not have breathalyzers and been found not guilty)….

professional courtesy = organized crime and accessory to murder.

Ugh that is horrible and unfortunately not surprising. My unarmed cousin was shot to death by a young man who works with and has many familial ties to law enforcement. The person who shot him even admitted at the scene to drinking that night but the police didn't even breathalize him after he had just shot my cousin 9 times in an apparent road rage incident. No charges were pressed and the reasons they gave for not pressing charges were utterly ridiculous. There's a lot more to it but I won't bore you all with the details. When my cousins friends would respond on Facebook to comments under the local news stories about it they were told by basically everyone that "this is what happens when a Yankee comes down south and messes with the good old boys network." It's seriously disgusting but we will never know what happened bc it's this guys word vs my cousin who obviously can't tell his side.

That being said, I support the police and believe that the vast majority take their responsibility to protect and serve seriously. I think my husband being LE and military and the tragedy my family endured with no chance at justice is why I am following this so closely.

Thank you to all for your wonderful insight and thoughts on this as well as the locals and verified insider. I also appreciate the news media links and updates. God bless you all.

Oh, I'm sure that everyone reading here knows about the LE code of silence (corruption). And I know that you're not saying that it's right, as you've said before.

But I ask you -- do you think it is right or wrong?

Without a doubt, I will say that it is wrong. It's unjustifiable. In my opinion, every police officer who ignores crimes committed by other police officers should be fired and prosecuted.

Oh no, I totally agree it IS wrong...

Just in general, what I see is the more seniority a person gets in LE, the bigger their ego gets! This is applicable to all divisions of LE that are patrolling.

They do have dangerous jobs, not knowing what the next call will bring. However, each officer knew that a career in law enforcement would not be easy. Where do they think they have a right to be gruff, intimidating, a bully, and whatever else they choose to a person they stop for a traffic violation or license check? My guess is Joe has used every one of these tactics throughout the years. IMO. And yes, these things happen when a stopped person has answered with respect.

What about a cop turning his lights on so he doesn't have to stop at a red light?
A cop driving excessive speeds with no lights or sirens? Just because he wants to?
A cop tails you for miles on interstate, too close, almost bumper to bumper?
Things I have observed - not done to me!

The tricks and games police play are ridiculous! We are just pawns in their hands as they know they reign superior over us! Corruption is in too many police departments. JMO!

BBM
Following the rules 100% of the time makes one a Robot or a Pharisee.I completely understand there's limits,but sometimes a little grace can work miracles.

One can not be a public servant who is supported by the taxpayers/citizens and think one can be creative. The rules cannot be followed arbitrarily. If one wants a "long leash" & exert their creativity, then they need to open their own business. Oh that's right, in essence that may have been what CJG was doing, no? Missing funds from accounts supported his private affairs & there may be much more he was doing with the towns equipment too.

I can assure you that the private sector wouldn't have put up with the shenanigans of CJG---> so why should the taxpayers to which he is accountable to & to which he took an oath that mandated a higher moral & ethical behavior?

Ugh that is horrible and unfortunately not surprising. My unarmed cousin was shot to death by a young man who works with and has many familial ties to law enforcement. The person who shot him even admitted at the scene to drinking that night but the police didn't even breathalize him after he had just shot my cousin 9 times in an apparent road rage incident. No charges were pressed and the reasons they gave for not pressing charges were utterly ridiculous. There's a lot more to it but I won't bore you all with the details. When my cousins friends would respond on Facebook to comments under the local news stories about it they were told by basically everyone that "this is what happens when a Yankee comes down south and messes with the good old boys network." It's seriously disgusting but we will never know what happened bc it's this guys word vs my cousin who obviously can't tell his side.

That being said, I support the police and believe that the vast majority take their responsibility to protect and serve seriously. I think my husband being LE and military and the tragedy my family endured with no chance at justice is why I am following this so closely.

Thank you to all for your wonderful insight and thoughts on this as well as the locals and verified insider. I also appreciate the news media links and updates. God bless you all.

I am sorry for your loss. What difficult thing to go through.

I have wondered if the people in the bike gang may have been on the receiving end of said surplus equipment, just a thought. jmo

This was my initial thought too. Maybe I watch too much "sons of anarchy" but this is where my head went. Asked my husband his opinion and he agrees that it's definitely plausible and was most likely looked into or still being investigated.

I'm so sorry for your loss. God bless.

I just wonder how many traffic violations and such CG let go if he was given a bit of cash in his hand? Another source of money...or possibly drugs, or sex?

I guess just curious to know who is from Fox Lake or from he surrounding communities , Ingleside, Lake Villa, Round Lake area, Antioch, McHenry...

Round Lake area

I have wondered if the people in the bike gang may have been on the receiving end of said surplus equipment, just a thought. jmo

That is a good possibility.

My immediate thought was that Joe was the officer they called if any member got in trouble. Trouble/problem then disappeared. If serious problem, the incident somehow, miraculously, was bumped down to a much lesser incident. Police and lawyers know which judge they want to hear a case. It is amazing how our justice system works! IMO.
(ubm)

I doubt it...

If Gliniewicz had those kind of ties to a 1% MC,I doubt he'd need to text a go between to contact them to set up a "hit" on some village bean counter.

Hollywood:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Anarchy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Unser

BBM

Sometimes "a little grace" can put innocent people in grave danger. I wouldn't call that a miracle.

This was my initial thought too. Maybe I watch too much "sons of anarchy" but this is where my head went. Asked my husband his opinion and he agrees that it's definitely plausible and was most likely looked into or still being investigated.

If this all went down SOA style,the Task Force would still be hard at work,Lt Joe and his crew would have been using untraceable burner phones (disposables)

Chicago Sun Times contact of several coworkers, who seem not to remember details in the personnel file.

Joe Semasko, who was chief from 1985 to 1989, said Friday he didn’t recall the incident or any problems with Gliniewicz. “That was 30 years ago, so it’s hard for me to recall. Any recommendations for discipline would have come to me from his supervisors, and they may not have brought them to me,” Semasko said.

Ronald Nagel, the lieutenant to whom Busch addressed his letter, went on to become chief in Fox Lake. Nagel said Friday he could not recall any problems with Gliniewicz, and he said he was shocked by the recent revelations against Gliniewicz.

“I don’t remember ever having any discipline or problems with the guy,” Nagel said.

And reference to toxicology. That was one of the Task Force's continually delayed items. Don't remember that report being announced. Did I miss it?

Gliniewicz did not have any illicit drugs in his system at the time of his death, so the theory that he was planning on using the cocaine to “set-up” Marrin was considered, Covelli said.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1082522/gliniewicz-fox-lake-portrait-destroyed

If this all went down SOA style,the Task Force would still be hard at work,Lt Joe and his crew would have been using untraceable burner phones (disposables)

I think the story of heroic Joe Gliniewicz was harder to believe than anything I've seen on SoA. As they say, truth is stranger than fiction. (And I'm sure that his story will inspire some bad cop movie or TV show down the road -- one is probably already being written.)

In my opinion, Joe had his own little company within the police department that he ran.

As I've said before, there had to be levels between he and the mayor. It is like Joe was "untouchable". While his personnel file is full of minor disciplinary actions, for 30 years employment, the wrong doings that are cited, are minor compared to what has come out. This reinforces, to me, the fact there are insiders who turned a blind eye to major issues that Joe was involved in.

I just wonder how many traffic violations and such CG let go if he was given a bit of cash in his hand? Another source of money...or possibly drugs, or sex?

Who knows....

I didn't go and wait along the funeral procession route,never attended any of the benefits or sent a dime.The dumbest thing I can do now in the wake of this disaster is let some small town renegade cop rent space in my head.It's a facinating slice of life,but none of us will ever get back the time we've spent.

For a while this area seemed to share a sense of unity,a common bond much like America following 9-11.In both situations....running up against the harsh realities of Iraq and Lt.Joe's sordid past it feels like something's been lost.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back