IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I lived in the next town over until a few years ago. I spent close to 50 years in that area, went to high school at Grant and know of all the places spoken of in this case. My son also went to Grant, and I am thankful he never wanted to be in the Explorers. Haven't been back to Illinois for a while. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news on CNN the day it happened.

Who knows....

I didn't go and wait along the funeral procession route,never attended any of the benefits or sent a dime.The dumbest thing I can do now in the wake of this disaster is let some small town renegade cop rent space in my head.It's a facinating slice of life,but none of us will ever get back the time we've spent.

For a while this area seemed to share a sense of unity,a common bond much like America following 9-11.In both situations....running up against the harsh realities of Iraq and Lt.Joe's sordid past it feels like something's been lost.

I did go to the vigil, waited in a very long line for the memorial poster, bought t-shirts, and donated money. Do I regret this? No, I did what I thought was right at the time.

I was in town visiting family who I hadn't seen in over a year when this all happened. What I do regret is that for 5 days my visit was overshadowed by his death. I can never get back that time that could have been spent with family on a happier note.

You are correct, there was a huge sense of unity within the community, the likes of which I've never seen before 9/11 or since then...

Ugh that is horrible and unfortunately not surprising. My unarmed cousin was shot to death by a young man who works with and has many familial ties to law enforcement. The person who shot him even admitted at the scene to drinking that night but the police didn't even breathalize him after he had just shot my cousin 9 times in an apparent road rage incident. No charges were pressed and the reasons they gave for not pressing charges were utterly ridiculous. There's a lot more to it but I won't bore you all with the details. When my cousins friends would respond on Facebook to comments under the local news stories about it they were told by basically everyone that "this is what happens when a Yankee comes down south and messes with the good old boys network." It's seriously disgusting but we will never know what happened bc it's this guys word vs my cousin who obviously can't tell his side.

That being said, I support the police and believe that the vast majority take their responsibility to protect and serve seriously. I think my husband being LE and military and the tragedy my family endured with no chance at justice is why I am following this so closely.

Thank you to all for your wonderful insight and thoughts on this as well as the locals and verified insider. I also appreciate the news media links and updates. God bless you all.

So sad, so sorry...

I lived in the next town over until a few years ago. I spent close to 50 years in that area, went to high school at Grant and know of all the places spoken of in this case. My son also went to Grant, and I am thankful he never wanted to be in the Explorers. Haven't been back to Illinois for a while. I could believe it when I heard the news on CNN the day it happened.

I figured from your WB name that you either lived or had lived in the area. :)

My children all went to GCHS as did I. None of them were interested in the Explorer Program either.

I did go to the vigil, waited in a very long line for the memorial poster, bought t-shirts, and donated money. Do I regret this? No, I did what I thought was right at the time.

I was in town visiting family who I hadn't seen in over a year when this all happened. What I do regret is that for 5 days my visit was overshadowed by his death. I can never get back that time that could have been spent with family on a happier note.

You are correct, there was a huge sense of unity within the community, the likes of which I've never seen before 9/11 or since then...

bbm - I agree. We were on the procession route for 4 1/2 hours that day. Even though we never met the people we were sitting by, it felt like family. The procession was one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking things I have ever witnessed.
Even though we were beginning to have our suspicions about the case before the procession, we felt the right thing to do was go. In this country today there is so much hate for the police, we really wanted to show our boys how much we respect them and all that they do. With everything that has come to light, I still feel that going to the procession and taking our kids was the right thing to do given the knowledge we had at the time. I still haven't told my boys that he wasn't the great guy we told him he was. I haven't quite found the words yet.

Wouldn't Behan have an obligation to report his suspicion, certainly morally, but legally, especially in his role as LEO and superior? Code of silence, rushed retirement, blah, blah, blah....

The suicide occurred several days after Fox Lake's former police chief Michael Behanannounced he was retiring from the force. Behan and an unnamed police officer were placed on paid leave earlier in August after the village had launched an investigationinto a December confrontation between the officer and a suspect, according to news reports."(Marrin) has now demanded a complete inventory of exploder (Explorer) central and a financial report...(expletive)," Gliniewicz wrote to Behan on Aug. 31, the day before he killed himself.
Christopher Covelli, a Lake County Sheriff's spokesman, told USA TODAY that Behan had left the force prior to the day he received the text message. Behan told investigators that he had suspicions Gliniewicz was using the Explorers account for his personal benefit but did not know for sure.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../?hootPostID=faf9c635d4c4fb160f68bdbaaeaca046

Wouldn't Behan have an obligation to report his suspicion, certainly morally, but legally, especially in his role as LEO and superior? Code of silence, rushed retirement, blah, blah, blah....
...Behan told investigators that he had suspicions Gliniewicz was using the Explorers account for his personal benefit but did not know for sure...."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../?hootPostID=faf9c635d4c4fb160f68bdbaaeaca046

looking40PH
Good point. Seems if Chief suspected JoeG was improperly using Explorer funds, he should have reported.
Stepping into his shoes, I wonder who I would report 'suspicions' (which are just that, no more) to -
- JoeG? JoeG's wife?
-other FLPD officer serving as post leader/volunteer?
-Local Learning for Life exec/BSA staff employee?
-National BSA HQ?
- state's atty for Fox County?
- other, like.....who?
Awkward, possibly/likely ineffective, to report 'suspicions' to any ^.
If FL village provided $ to Explorer post, seems the least Chief could do is - refuse to auth. further funds to the post, or perhaps to end FLPD sponsorship of the post.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151108/news/151109052/
^article recounts dangers of ne person controlling all aspects of an org's finances. A link there provides info about how an org can reduce those dangers by putting certain controls in place.

In initially sponsoring post & renewing sponsorship, my SWAG is FLPD rep (Chief B and predecessor-chiefs) signed BSA documents, agreeing to comply w certain BSA/LFL guidelines and those guidelines included FLPD's oversight or review of the post's finances and property. Could be wrong, IDK.

Snipped from demeter's post: "The statement about having suspicions is just his way of CYA..."

Respectfully, disagreeing that Chief's after-the-fact statement to investigators is CYA. Quite to the contrary, unless Chief offers evidence re his reporting 'suspicions' to someone who could review, prevent JoeG from further misuse of funds, and take steps to recover misappropriated money.

JM2cts.

I keep coming back to the 1033 surplus program being a huge potential source of fund through the Explorers. Reading this brings so much to mind on how it could have been taken advantage of, as it has been elsewhere. Details on requests and donations appear to be locked down from public view. Grr. Would be so interesting to see records of what came, went, remained, disappeared via Fox Lake Explorers.

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/p...surplus-military-equipment.html#ixzz3KJLGWRkQ

http://fusion.net/story/6401/are-police-profiting-from-missing-military-equipment/

I know it was a typo, but imo it was pretty funny to see the 'Explorers' called the 'Exploders'.

LOL it was not a typo...exploders is what Gliniewicz called them....JMO

looking40PH
Good point. Seems if Chief suspected JoeG was improperly using Explorer funds, he should have reported.
Stepping into his shoes, I wonder who I would report 'suspicions' (which are just that, no more) to -
- JoeG? JoeG's wife?
-other FLPD officer serving as post leader/volunteer?
-Local Learning for Life exec/BSA staff employee?
-National BSA HQ?
- state's atty for Fox County?
- other, like.....who?
Awkward, possibly/likely ineffective, to report 'suspicions' to any ^.
If FL village provided $ to Explorer post, seems the least Chief could do is - refuse to auth. further funds to the post, or perhaps to end FLPD sponsorship of the post.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151108/news/151109052/
^article recounts dangers of ne person controlling all aspects of an org's finances. A link there provides info about how an org can reduce those dangers by putting certain controls in place.

In initially sponsoring post & renewing sponsorship, my SWAG is FLPD rep (Chief B and predecessor-chiefs) signed BSA documents, agreeing to comply w certain BSA/LFL guidelines and those guidelines included FLPD's oversight or review of the post's finances and property. Could be wrong, IDK.

Snipped from demeter's post: "The statement about having suspicions is just his way of CYA..."

Respectfully, disagreeing that Chief's after-the-fact statement to investigators is CYA. Quite to the contrary, unless Chief offers evidence re his reporting 'suspicions' to someone who could review, prevent JoeG from further misuse of funds, and take steps to recover misappropriated money.

JM2cts.

There are protocols any Chief should follow based on "suspicions" but turning a blind eye is not one of them.

Moo

I guess just curious to know who is from Fox Lake or from he surrounding communities , Ingleside, Lake Villa, Round Lake area, Antioch, McHenry...

I live about 5 minutes from where the incident took place.

The statement about having suspicions is just his way of CYA... but yes, he did/does have an obligation. I expect he'll probably be charged with something, somewhere in all of this.

I agree! I've also wondered if Behan's leaving was also a stressor that played into Joe's decision to commit suicide?

bbm - I agree. We were on the procession route for 4 1/2 hours that day. Even though we never met the people we were sitting by, it felt like family. The procession was one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking things I have ever witnessed.
Even though we were beginning to have our suspicions about the case before the procession, we felt the right thing to do was go. In this country today there is so much hate for the police, we really wanted to show our boys how much we respect them and all that they do. With everything that has come to light, I still feel that going to the procession and taking our kids was the right thing to do given the knowledge we had at the time. I still haven't told my boys that he wasn't the great guy we told him he was. I haven't quite found the words yet.

That's a tough one. I say be honest with them without all the details depending on their ages.

Wouldn't Behan have an obligation to report his suspicion, certainly morally, but legally, especially in his role as LEO and superior? Code of silence, rushed retirement, blah, blah, blah..

I would think so, just as he had that same responsibility and obligation to not overlook Joe's other wrong doings. Perhaps he did say something to Joe, but we'll never know. I think his retirement was a way of getting out before all hell broke loose, although I don't think he could have foreseen the way Joe would end it. The two of them being good friends for 30 years, I can't imagine how he feels now....

I would think so, just as he had that same responsibility and obligation to not overlook Joe's other wrong doings. Perhaps he did say something to Joe, but we'll never know. I think his retirement was a way of getting out before all hell broke loose, although I don't think he could have foreseen the way Joe would end it. The two of them being good friends for 30 years, I can't imagine how he feels now....
I'm betting his outward appearance and internal emotional state don't quite match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003
Back