IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You really have to wonder what the Chief was getting out of all of this. Why be so protective of GI Joe? If you ask me, it had to be more than just friendly favoritism. Either JG had major dirt on the Chief, or the Chief was right in the thick of the money dealings.
(moo)

Which was it? Time will tell, I guess. :thinking:

" major dirt on the Chief"
I was thinking about that possibility also...

This is an interesting editorial in the Chicago Sun Times:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/7/71/1099643/ig-edit-monday

Editorial: Suburbs, like big cities, need government watchdogs

It specifically talks about the Gliniewicz case and suggests that even small towns can benefit from hiring inspector generals. Its an informative read, imo.

Nice editorial, thanks -- though I'm guessing that seeing heroic GI Joe's smarmy, smiling mug at the top of it will raise the blood pressure of more than a few readers.

What was going on in Fox Lake was not so unusual, IMHO.

As a young professional, I was employed by a town near where I grew up. After a many years of working there and through friends who lived there all there lives, I would learn a great deal about this cronyism. I learned about kickbacks that affected the taxpayers in a very painful way. I won't go into details because, while not special in nature, they might give away enough to identify me.

Most of the people I knew are now deceased and there are no computer records... LOL! There were no personal computers back then. There isn't any paper work either. There were no cell phones or text messages to back up the corruption. It was all done one-on-one with only a handshake left behind.

It bugged me to be face-to-face with people I once thought of in a very positive light. Could I prove anything? Nope.

What is notable about this dude was the amount of incriminating material he left behind by all the modern-convenience ways. However, left behind to speculation are the many cases of the old-boy network of cronyism where the proverbial "handshake" was all it took.

Because I think the problems in Fox Lake (and many other towns in America) go well beyond cronyism, I found this page is a good quick read, and gets the mind activated:

Favoritism, Cronyism, and Nepotism
By Judy Nadler and Miriam Schulman

These materials were prepared for the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics program in Government Ethics (at Santa Clara University, Silicon Valley) by Senior Fellow Judy Nadler and Communications Director Miriam Schulman. The Center provides training in local government ethics for public officials.

~ What are favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism?
~ What do favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism have to do with ethics?
~ What ethical dilemmas do favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism present?
~ Resources on favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism

- See more at: http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicin...troduction/cronyism.html#sthash.uTyZNKzm.dpuf

Nor, have I found these kinds of issues limited to just government entities.

Watch Denise Duebner's full exclusive interview with NBC 5 Investigates' Tammy Leitner tonight at 10 p.m. on NBC 5.

More than 10 years ago, a female Fox Lake police officer sued Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz for sexual harassment. In an NBC 5 Investigates exclusive airing Monday night, Denise Duebner speaks out for the first time about the sexual harassment she said ultimately got her fired.

“I was a little intimidated by him.” Duebner told NBC 5 Investigates of Gliniewicz, whose "carefully staged suicide" this summer is believed to have been an attempt to cover up years of criminal act.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...xual-Harassment-Breaks-Silence-350670221.html

NBC is planning to report on military equipment Gliniewicz had that he never turned over to the PD. Video of some equipment was shown during the promo. Report during the 6:00 p.m. ct news hour.

At 10:00 p.m. (NBC) will feature an interview with a female LE (over a decade ago) who has a personal story to tell about JG.

On another note, for the record, Illinois does not tax military pay.

Watch Denise Duebner's full exclusive interview with NBC 5 Investigates' Tammy Leitner tonight at 10 p.m. on NBC 5.

More than 10 years ago, a female Fox Lake police officer sued Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz for sexual harassment. In an NBC 5 Investigates exclusive airing Monday night, Denise Duebner speaks out for the first time about the sexual harassment she said ultimately got her fired.

“I was a little intimidated by him.” Duebner told NBC 5 Investigates of Gliniewicz, whose "carefully staged suicide" this summer is believed to have been an attempt to cover up years of criminal act.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...xual-Harassment-Breaks-Silence-350670221.html

Of course info already posted!
My dinner is ready so I wanted to post regarding the six o'clock news just in case someone might want to see it but isn't watching right now. :)

Of course info already posted!
My dinner is ready so I wanted to post regarding the six o'clock news just in case someone might want to see it but isn't watching right now. :)

:) Good to hear reporters are staying with the story. Enjoy your meal.

Those requisitions that apparently former Police Chief Michael Behan certified were going to the Fox River Police but in fact were going to Gliniewicz's Explorers, I wonder if that would be a federal crime to lie to The Feds? I wonder if Behan is in a whole lot of trouble?

NBC5 has the documents.

Of course its possible, I suppose, that Gliniewicz forged Behan's certification document for Gliniewicz's authorization, but that is not what the NBC5 report said.

I don't get NBC reception too often with antenna TV. Will have to wait until it is online. If anyone can, please summarize.tia

Very brief report (on NBC at 6:00 p.m.), showing papers going back to 2006, supporting Gliniewicz was the authorized person to requisition designated hardware from LESO (law enforcement support office).
The surplus goods are only meant for police departments, not for youth explorer programs.

The reporter rattled off some examples - like in 2011, 25 military belts, 80 holsters, 19 bullet proof vests were taken. In 2010, 18 pairs of boots, 37 helmets and 65 pairs of pants.
Another year, 2008, Gliniewicz collected 20 cots and 65 fatigues.
None of these items should have ever made it into the basement where the Explorers met.
The complete list wasn't stated and I may have missed some details as I listened and typed.

Gliniewicz picked up these items himself but never turned them over to the police department.
Paperwork supports that Behan certified everything was going for legitimate use by law enforcement.

Another point made was the Fox Lake PD isn't large enough to support taking the number of supplies listed even if they had been used by the Fox Lake PD.

Good job Woe, I watched it live online, and your report pretty much covered it.

I hope I don't forget to watch the 10 o'clock news, assuming it is also online. I got the impression from somewhere that he also got some military vehicles, and in watching a couple of the explorer videos again this past weekend, I did see at least one big military vehicle. I wonder where he kept it or them? I think that is in the report at 10.

I imagine NBC5 puts its reports online for later viewing.

Wasn't it a female chief back in 2001?

Took a bit, but got the time machine out and constructed the Fox Lake Chief Of Police history during CG's tenure (4/1985 - 9/2015).

Michael Keller (interim): 9/2015 - present
Mark Schindler (acting): 8/2015 - 9/2015
Michael Behan: 1/2006 - 8/2015
Edward Gerretsen Jr.: 1997/9 - 2005
James Busch: 1992 - ? (reports found 1992 - 1996)
Ron Nagle: 1989 - 1992
Joseph Semasko: 1985 - 1989

No female Police Chief, but Cindy Irwin was mayor from 2005 - 2009, which included the 02/2009 anonymous letter from officers concerning CG to her.

Now that Lake County authorities have ruled the death of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz a suicide, the village is expected to tackle the question of what pension benefits his surviving family members will receive.
While Gliniewicz's family has yet to apply for pension benefits, Illinois Public Pension Fund Association president James McNamee said the Lake County Major Crime Task Force's announcement that authorities concluded the lieutenant committed suicide, fearing years of alleged criminal activity would be discovered, likely ruled out his family's chance of receiving larger benefits owed survivors of officers killed in the line of duty.

"This was not a line of duty death," McNamee said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-cop-shot-pension-st-1117-20151116-story.html

Very brief report (on NBC at 6:00 p.m.), showing papers going back to 2006, supporting Gliniewicz was the authorized person to requisition designated hardware from LESO (law enforcement support office).
The surplus goods are only meant for police departments, not for youth explorer programs.

The reporter rattled off some examples - like in 2011, 25 military belts, 80 holsters, 19 bullet proof vests were taken. In 2010, 18 pairs of boots, 37 helmets and 65 pairs of pants.
Another year, 2008, Gliniewicz collected 20 cots and 65 fatigues.
None of these items should have ever made it into the basement where the Explorers met.
The complete list wasn't stated and I may have missed some details as I listened and typed.

Gliniewicz picked up these items himself but never turned them over to the police department.
Paperwork supports that Behan certified everything was going for legitimate use by law enforcement.

Another point made was the Fox Lake PD isn't large enough to support taking the number of supplies listed even if they had been used by the Fox Lake PD.

bbm If Joe G's actions re ^ becomes an issue in determining widow's pension or other benefits, atty may argue on her behalf, even conceding that Joe G forged chiefs' (plural, over years) siggies to acquire/requisition equip, he did not take custody & possession of, or sell equipmentt (well, maybe not all), so he had no intent to misappropriate or steal.
Further argument:
1. Even if FLPD officers did not use equipmt, everything was ready & avail to FLPD right there in dept's basement.
2. Even if Post members used equipmt, the quantities were sufficient for every FLPD officer to use same equip at same timeas Post members. No harm, no foul?
I don't like it, but I can almost hear it now.

All these deliveries were made, presumably to FLPD office, then sat in basement; equip was used by Explorers and w pix on SM & MSM, over the years; and this somehow escaped attention of chiefs, other LEOs, village mayor & other employees? (sarc) If this equip had taken $100 out of the PD's or village's gen budget, would someone have questioned it? ITS, but coming from the fed govt/military, its all 'free'? (sarc)
Sorry I don't buy it and think chiefs & others turned blind eyes the whole time.

Thinking some other FLPD officers, including those involved in writing ~2009 anonymous letter to Chief B were aware of this, but IIRC, point was not raised in the anon letter. Anyone remember?

JM2cts.

Took a bit, but got the time machine out and constructed the Fox Lake Chief Of Police history during CG's tenure (4/1985 - 9/2015).

Michael Keller (interim): 9/2015 - present
Mark Schindler (acting): 8/2015 - 9/2015
Michael Behan: 1/2006 - 8/2015
Edward Gerretsen Jr.: 1997/9 - 2005
James Busch: 1992 - ? (reports found 1992 - 1996)
Ron Nagle: 1989 - 1992
Joseph Semasko: 1985 - 1989

No female Police Chief, but Cindy Irwin was mayor from 2005 - 2009, which included the 02/2009 anonymous letter from officers concerning CG to her.

Looks good!
Busch until '97, Gerretsen from '97.
Both are deceased now...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member