IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Spending allegations detailed as Gliniewicz accounts frozen

Daily Herald
Updated November 18, 2015

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151117/news/151119003/
“Melodie Gliniewicz's lawyers also released legal documents containing several details at the heart of the ongoing financial investigation. Those details include specific amounts of money authorities believe Charles Gliniewicz took from bank accounts that involved the Fox Lake Law Enforcement Explorer Post 300 he led as an adviser.

Within the news release was the affidavit filed by Lake County investigators in seeking the order to freeze Melodie Gliniewicz's personal financial account. The document, released by the law firm of Kelleher and Buckley LLC, also contained financial information authorities used to show Charles Gliniewicz took thousands of dollars from Explorer financial accounts and spent it on coffee, restaurants, movies at the Fox Lake Theater, vacations, hormone supplements, and adult entertainment and dating websites.

In all, the affidavit shows six accounts and two credit cards frozen Nov. 6.”

“According to the affidavit, the main bank account was issued to the Fox Lake Explorer post and Charles Gliniewicz. In the court document, authorities said that bank account, active from September 2008 through April 2015, was used "to cover personal expenses on a consistent basis."

The affidavit shows Charles Gliniewicz made 238 coffee runs totaling $2,455, spent $8,822 on 453 restaurants visits, and went to the movie theater 98 times at a cost of $7,216. In addition, there were $29,157 worth of cash withdrawals from the account, along with 98 charges totaling $7,216 for hormonal supplements, and 66 transactions for adult entertainment and dating websites totaling $2,623, the document states.

Authorities also allege a trip to Hawaii costing $5,683 was paid for out of that account in August 2014, and that a student loan was covered at a cost of $15,234.

Charles Gliniewicz closed that main Explorer account in April, but he opened a new Explorer account and two personal accounts at different banks, authorities allege.

Officials said the new Explorer account was used to pay $6,242 to a police supply store in McHenry, and a $777 loan was issued to Charles Gliniewicz's son, Donald Gliniewicz, while various other personal loans, restaurant, Best Buy and grocery store purchases were made totaling $3,472.

In the affidavit, officials said the largest cash withdrawal from the first Explorer account was $7,000, which was deposited into the account of Melodie Gliniewicz.”​

More ...

Melodie must be crazy if she thinks she can act like she had no clue this was going on! From the texts between Joe and her on 4/14/2015 they clearly are discussing hiding the money. These documents discussed above say that the main account was closed in April and two more opened.

And as a side note, I am so disappointed in us! How could we NOT have guessed "hormone supplements" during our guessing game I fondly refer to as "What mo' with GI Joe?"

Why am I stuck on his average trip to the movies costing $73.63? That just seems like a lot of snacks.

Why am I stuck on his average trip to the movies costing $73.63? That just seems like a lot of snacks.

LOL I calculated that as well.

I seriously would've thought his dates with the wife to the restaurants would have been the higher dollar dates and he would have only paid 20 bucks at the movies, made the kids sneak in, and carried in snacks and cans of soda in Mel's purse.

/snark-fest

moo

Maybe he took his whole family, along with a few mistresses and their families, and a few gang members and their families. $75 bucks sounds cheap when you look at it that way.

I'm sure Joe liked to take different people out while he flashed the cash around. His sons would have had lots of friends too, so it would have been Joe's treat when they all went out for the evening. I'm sure he didn't mind picking up the tab for all the tickets and the snacks......it's not like it was coming out of his bank account.

Disgraced Illinois cop spent some stolen cash on coffee, movies, hormonal supplements

Melodie Gliniewicz's attorneys argue prosecutors wrongly froze six accounts and two credit cards on Nov. 6 and said in a news release that she can't pay her mortgage, doctor bills and other family expenses. Attorneys are asking for the freeze to be lifted. An official briefed on the investigation has told the AP that Melodie, and Gliniewicz's son, D.J., are under investigation.

Attorneys said in the release that Melodie Gliniewicz was asking all to "refrain from rushing to, or misplacing, judgment" and "has faith the truth will come out in time, and if necessary, in court."

In the court documents that accompanied the news release, prosecutors say bank records show Gliniewicz took thousands of dollars from the Explorer program, spending the funds on coffee, restaurants, going to movies, hormonal supplements and adult entertainment and dating websites.

Authorities also have said he spent nearly $5,700 on a trip to Hawaii and a more than $15,000 on a student loan.

The source of the money in the Explorer account was primarily donations from local businesses, payments for services and checks that prosecutors said appear to be from parents paying to enroll their children in the group.

The affidavit states that of $29,157 that Gliniewicz withdrew from the account, the largest withdrawal was for $7,000, which was deposited into Melodie Gliniewicz's account. Her attorneys deny any wrongdoing in that transaction. They say deposits into the Explorer account included money from Joe Gliniewicz's paychecks and a loan from his retirement account totaling $58,800.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/1...-some-stolen-money-on-coffee-movies-hormonal/

Another article from a different source.

And that is a small town theatre, so the prices are reasonable.

I haven't been to Fox Lake in ages (and I've only been there 3 times), but if memory serves the theatre is in a shopping center/strip mall, and I seem to recall hearing that it was much better than your average small-town multiplex. Just the same -- the cost per visit seems unrealistic. Perhaps he took the Exploders for some field trips to see violent movies there. (Just guessing -- perhaps he charged them something, perhaps less than the ticket cost -- and then billed it to their account.)

I haven't been to Fox Lake in ages (and I've only been there 3 times), but if memory serves the theatre is in a shopping center/strip mall, and I seem to recall hearing that it was much better than your average small-town multiplex. Just the same -- the cost per visit seems unrealistic. Perhaps he took the Exploders for some field trips to see violent movies there. (Just guessing -- perhaps he charged them something, perhaps less than the ticket cost -- and then billed it to their account.)

Your memory is correct. There is also av newly renovated theatre in Antioch. Both are $8 to get in...

I'll bet there's still going to be more to come. All of this stealing and scamming has amounted to a pretty big scandal, but I think there may still be a scheme that was going on that nobody is yet aware of, or maybe the entire scope of it isn't quite obvious yet. Something along the lines of selling the military surplus for cash is what I'm leaning towards.

That of course would be a federal crime, which would carry a lot stiffer penalties. I think what G.I. Joe feared most of all was being locked in the same jail cell with the same people he had rousted and hustled through the years. I'm not so sure it was the money he stole that had him concerned, it was being locked up like a caged animal that he feared the most.

Bottom line.........he could dish out the punishment........but he couldn't take it himself, even though it was well deserved.

Selling the military supplies for cash crossed my mind as well, but didn't one of the links include information that the inventory matches the invoices for that equipment? I kind of discounted that possibilty when I read the inventory snd invoices matchef. I couldn't find snother way around it, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

This is my first post--been lurking here since I stumbled upon this forum on Labor Day when the whole scenario stopped making sense to me. I grew up in Lake County and still live in the Chicago area.

What intrigues me about the latest document dump from Melodie's attorneys was the direct deposits from JG's paycheck. Was this part of a tax scam too? Making contributions to a 501 (c)(3) and then getting to use the funds anyway?

Very weird.

Welcome to WB!

I'll bet that's part of it. Taking the kids to the movies sounds like something he'd do, in keeping with his giving and giving - take the kids to see Guardians of the Galaxy, buy them some snacks, maintain hero status. JMO

Selling the military supplies for cash crossed my mind as well, but didn't one of the links include information that the inventory matches the invoices for that equipment? I kind of discounted that possibilty when I read the inventory snd invoices matchef. I couldn't find snother way around it, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

It just seems like there must be more to this than skimming money from the Explorer post. Shooting yourself in the chest with a .40 caliber pistol is a pretty radical act. There's no turning back from that. There's no taking it back.

Maybe that's all there is to it, but it seems like he must have had knowledge of other things that might come to light. Maybe the fear of going to jail is all it took, although I have serious doubts he would have ever spent much time in jail, if any. Sure, there would have been a big scandal if the news had broken after the audit, but he seemed to have a lot of people in his back pocket and he was about to retire anyway. He could have packed up and moved away after retiring and the whole thing most likely would have just been swept under the carpet. Money's gone, Explorer post is gone, Gliniewicz is gone.........now what ? I doubt if the current mayor would have wanted to spend the money on attorney fees to even pursue it. The Mayor and the ex-chief appear to have covered things up for a long time around there, why would this be any different ?

Maybe it's easier to see things clearly when you aren't involved.

Extremely sad, I feel so bad for her. And I'm absolutely disgusted that he had no real consequences, he should have been charged and fired!

I'm not sure how I feel yet. Of course the situation is bad and sad.
Having just read ahead a couple of posts, it sounds as if MG knows "the truth". Why is the truth such a big secret?
There are many angles and levels of deceit involved as well.
By looking past the dishonest behaviors of JG for so long (if that's the case), it must have occurred to her something had to give eventually.

I like to jump out of planes and kill people.... Flush....JMO

This isn't normal behavior of serious soldiers/military imo.
Back in my day, I never felt this vibe around the soldiers I knew.
Yet, they had a desire to fulfill a real world mission successfully.
Us spouses where left behind to deal with our fears while trying to act normal doing normal everyday things.

lol! First thing I did was the math to figure the price per movie outing.
Plus I notice the totals for hormones and movies are the same.
Did he get hormones every time he went to see a movie? Yuk.

The recent report made it sound as if the cots, fatigues, boots, belts, etc. were all accounted for in the basement where the Explorers met.
If there's an ongoing investigation, LE can hold or redact information from paperwork they turn over to the media.
What if more inventory (like weapons) are not accounted for but that paperwork was held back so far.

The recent report made it sound as if the cots, fatigues, boots, belts, etc. were all accounted for in the basement where the Explorers met.
If there's an ongoing investigation, LE can hold or redact information from paperwork they turn over to the media.
What if more inventory (like weapons) are not accounted for but that paperwork was held back so far.

Good point. I hadn't thought about what else may have been purchased but not made public.

It just seems like there must be more to this than skimming money from the Explorer post. Shooting yourself in the chest with a .40 caliber pistol is a pretty radical act. There's no turning back from that. There's no taking it back.

Maybe that's all there is to it, but it seems like he must have had knowledge of other things that might come to light. Maybe the fear of going to jail is all it took, although I have serious doubts he would have ever spent much time in jail, if any. Sure, there would have been a big scandal if the news had broken after the audit, but he seemed to have a lot of people in his back pocket and he was about to retire anyway. He could have packed up and moved away after retiring and the whole thing most likely would have just been swept under the carpet. Money's gone, Explorer post is gone, Gliniewicz is gone.........now what ? I doubt if the current mayor would have wanted to spend the money on attorney fees to even pursue it. The Mayor and the ex-chief appear to have covered things up for a long time around there, why would this be any different ?

Maybe it's easier to see things clearly when you aren't involved.

I agree. I think he was so entrenched in this behavior for so many years, he couldn't see a way out.

ABC7 reported he had no alcohol, no illegal or prescription drugs in his system and no steroids in his system. They did find 'cigarettes and caffeine' in his ststem. No link, saw it on TV.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back