IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“Deservi described Lt. Gliniewicz as a ‘Golden Child’ at Fox Lake PD who must have had some ‘dirt’ on someone to be able to stay with the police department with everything he had done through there.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/05/suicide-possibility-raised-early-on-in-gliniewicz-investigation/

Even his fellow officers thought he had "dirt" on someone. Just what I've been saying.....

Ok....I have a issue with the document in the 18 page report posted above by WGN.

As first responders--Did they find him or did they respond after the report of officer down as the document reads? When an officer doesn't respond, do they automatically think he is down? I don't know what the protocol is.

According to investigators, his gun wasn't found for more than an hour, even though it was less than 3 feet from the body.

Why?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/ct-fox-lake-shooting-20160105-story.html

Good question? You have 2-3 LE's that are standing within feet of the weapon and then more come to the scene? Nobody accidentally kicks the weapon coming onto the scene? One officer walks right up to the body after the 1st officers find him and check to see if he is alive--and then she rechecks--and nobody sees the weapon? At least 5 or more LE's at the site?

Another question I have is....one of the LE's says to call his cell phone...is that normal procedure, if he was in danger...wouldn't that give away his location to any perps?

It is a heavy brush/woods/wetlands area. It likely fell into an area obscured by vegetation.

I get that...but what I don't get is...if I suspected suicide as some of the responding LE's did, then wouldn't it be instinctual to look for the weapon to confirm your suspicions?

The craziest part of the document is when Sgt Deservi said "he wasn't allowed to be alone with a woman at the Police Station".

How is that even possible? It is astounding that someone who is known to be that much of a threat (to be barred from being alone with a woman) is not only allowed to keep their job, but also be given any power (nevermind the level of Lt) is astounding. And if he is that much of a threat to a fellow police officer, imagine the potential threat to a female citizen who is exposed to the power and threat of LtG when he is on duty on the street. Or allowed to continue to lead a youth program with many young women. Amazing!

“Deservi described Lt. Gliniewicz as a ‘Golden Child’ at Fox Lake PD who must have had some ‘dirt’ on someone to be able to stay with the police department with everything he had done through there.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/05/suicide-possibility-raised-early-on-in-gliniewicz-investigation/

Even his fellow officers thought he had "dirt" on someone. Just what I've been saying.....

My guess is that it is less that he "had dirt" on the higher-ups and it was more of a case that he was part of a larger plan/scheme that involved many other powerful people who protected him. My guess is that he was a "grunt" in the organization and would be a convenient "fall guy" if things went south (which is what seems to have happened here). He was allowed to keep the job (which had no real duties/powers--basically just ran the explorers while on duty) to keep up the scheme, but yet he would be an expendable to take the fall and the blame if it all fell apart.

There is reportedly over $350k in the bank accounts (that have been found and identified, who knows what else is out there). But yet he lived in a run-down shack, drove beat up cars, his family had no money or luxurious things, and they were in debt and lived the lives of peasants. He missed many of his precious "iron man/mudder" events in the past year that he lives for because he had no money to do them. But yet, he has close to a half million dollars sitting in a bank account? Just doesn't seem reasonable. There is a lot more to this story than will ever meet the light of day.

From the article:

Fox Lake Police Department tabs former Algonquin chief as interim chief
Published: Friday, Jan. 8, 2016 8:06 p.m. CST • Updated: Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016 12:48 a.m. CST
By CAITLIN SWIECA

FOX LAKE – Former Algonquin Police Chief Russell Laine will serve as the new interim chief of the Fox Lake Police Department, the village announced Friday night.

The village and Laine agreed to a one-year contract this week, according to a release from a village spokesman. Near the end of that term, village officials will evaluate whether to continue the relationship with Laine or begin the search for a permanent chief.

According to the release, village officials determined interim leadership was necessary to deliver reforms to the department's policies, training and information technology before bringing in a permanent chief.

Laine was unanimously selected among dozens of applicants from a panel that included Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit, Village Administrator Anne Marin, Village Trustee Jeff Jensen, Lake County Undersheriff Ray Rose and current interim chief Michael Keller.

The new chief will be sworn in Tuesday at the Village Board meeting.

Laine will replace Keller, who is a deputy chief at the Lake County Sheriff's Office and has been working for Fox Lake in an "on-loan" basis since early September.​

Fortunately, I did not experience a paywall (maybe I haven't used all my freebies yet?) but here is some of what the article is about:

Gliniewicz suicide a 'complication' for helping cops with mental illness

By Lauren Zumbach Contact Reporter
Lake County News-Sun

Some mental health advocates say they worry the high-profile suicide of a Fox Lake police officer last year could make it tougher to find support for legislation aimed at helping public safety personnel and their survivors.

"It's added a whole new complication to any kind of future legislation around line of duty deaths, including suicide," said Steve Moore, co-chair of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention's Illinois chapter. "It will complicate things, and now you will have legislators questioning whether this is appropriate."

That includes future versions of a measure proposed in the Illinois General Assembly last year that would have expanded the definition of a line of duty death to include law enforcement officers, firefighters and paramedics who commit suicide if a medical professional attested it was a result of their active duty service, Moore said.

Robert Douglas, executive director of the National Police Suicide Foundation, said legislation like the Illinois proposal is "way overdue."

It's difficult to say how common suicide is among law enforcement officers because there's no comprehensive tracking system. But according to a 2014 report from the International Association of Chiefs of Police, it's estimated that twice as many officers take their lives than are killed in assaults or traffic accidents.

David Blanchette, spokesman for the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police, said the group acknowledges that suicide is a "silent epidemic" among police officers.

Both Moore and Douglas said Gliniewicz's case was far outside the norm when it comes to officer suicide.

While there's little data on the causes of officer suicide, Douglas said he estimates that in the 20 years he's been monitoring reports of police suicide, more than 90 percent involved issues such as work-related trauma, relationship problems or substance abuse — not misconduct.

"These are not crooked cops. When that lieutenant did what he did, he really wasn't doing a service to those of us in the field," Douglas said. "That is the exception, not the rule."

Though some issues can become politically toxic even if they're smart policy, Wheeler said he doesn't envision this becoming one of them as long as the bill's authors are careful about how they draft it.

"The easy way to defuse that criticism would be that if it were drafted in a way so it applied to officers who commit suicide related to the legitimate performance of their duties," Wheeler said.​

More...

Woman accused in false manhunt can't cite Gliniewicz case
The defense attorney for a Vernon Hills woman accused of setting off a false manhunt for two men accused of killing Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was denied an attempt to obtain the complete investigation surrounding the Fox Lake officer's death.
Lake County Judge Victoria Rossetti ruled Wednesday the Gliniewicz investigation "has absolutely no relevance" in the court case against Kristin Kiefer, 21, who is charged with multiple felony and misdemeanor counts of filing a false police report.

Defense attorney Gal Pissetzky requested the state turn over the entire Gliniewicz investigation in case anything in the files could help him prove Kiefer was not at fault for escalating a manhunt after she told police she was confronted by two men who fit an initial description of Gliniewicz's alleged killers.
"We have a right to review the information in that investigation to see if there is anything in there that would help my client," Pissetzky said.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160114/news/160119392/

CNN will have a special on tonight about "The Secret Life of G.I. Joe" at 9ET. FYI

(not sure if new or repeat)

CNN will have a special on tonight about "The Secret Life of G.I. Joe" at 9ET. FYI

(not sure if new or repeat)

You beat me to it. Dh just told me about this and he has it set to record. Just came on to post about it, but knew ws's would be on top of it!

Fox Lake hires investigator who led village's misconduct probe
Lauren Zumbach / Reporter
Chicago Tribune
Lake County News-Sun
January 25, 2016

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-new-police-chief-st-0126-20160125-story.html

“Fox Lake trustees are expected to swear in a pair of officers to lead the police department at a Village Board meeting Tuesday night.

Jimmy A. Lee, an outside investigator who led a probe into allegations of misconduct within the Fox Lake Police Department, has been hired as the department's interim deputy chief, village officials announced in a statement Monday. Fox Lake had hired the firm Lee founded, Gold Shield Investigations, to conduct several internal investigations last year, village officials said in the statement.

He is expected to be sworn in Tuesday night alongside the village's new interim chief, Russell B. Laine.The village approved a contract with Laine two weeks ago.”​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back