GUILTY IL - Riley Fox, 3, Wilmington, 6 June 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised Southwood has been cleared by that particular DNA. As I mentioned ad infinitum, it's artifact and meaningless to the case. If anyone has info to the contrary, please post it.

I saw that news clip and had to kinda chuckle about Melissa's comment that cops have lost interest. I sincerely doubt that's true. In fact in cases like this, where a defense/civil attorney has pulled tricks to distract from justice, cops, lab techs and prosecutors redouble their efforts. And when a child is the victim, particularly in such an egregious manner of death as befell Riley, they will never give up.

All of which means, Kevin shouldn't stop looking over his shoulder. He could be brought back into custody at the snap of a finger.

"Of 59 people who have been tested, 57 results are in, and no one has matched the DNA swab, which was taken from Riley's body. That includes Lawrence Southwood, who was recently convicted of a sex crime. Two swabs remain to be tested. One from a man who was convicted of a sex crime in Shorewood, and a male neighbor who still lives in Wilmington."

Anyone remember the "Creepy Neighbor" discussions? Sounds like his DNA is not back yet.

"We found even in the DNA swabbing that they had done, that there were very obvious people that they had missed," said Kathleen Zellner, the family's attorney. "There were people that had access to the house, knew their schedule, knew the house, the layout, everything, that they hadn't swabbed."

http://www.nbc5.com/news/9324645/detail.html

Also, on FOX news last night, they said the civil trial is set for September 2007.

Prayers for the Foxes on this day.

Maddy's Mom said:
"Of 59 people who have been tested, 57 results are in, and no one has matched the DNA swab, which was taken from Riley's body. That includes Lawrence Southwood, who was recently convicted of a sex crime. Two swabs remain to be tested. One from a man who was convicted of a sex crime in Shorewood, and a male neighbor who still lives in Wilmington."

Anyone remember the "Creepy Neighbor" discussions? Sounds like his DNA is not back yet.

"We found even in the DNA swabbing that they had done, that there were very obvious people that they had missed," said Kathleen Zellner, the family's attorney. "There were people that had access to the house, knew their schedule, knew the house, the layout, everything, that they hadn't swabbed."

http://www.nbc5.com/news/9324645/detail.html

Also, on FOX news last night, they said the civil trial is set for September 2007.

Prayers for the Foxes on this day.

Don't get your heart set for that civil trial to begin on that date. They hardly ever do go on the first date that they're set. Someone usually will ask for a continuance and the court will most likely grant one, especially if they're waiting for results on evidence.

Jeana (DP) said:
Don't get your heart set for that civil trial to begin on that date. They hardly ever do go on the first date that they're set. Someone usually will ask for a continuance and the court will most likely grant one, especially if they're waiting for results on evidence.
I agree. It will probably more likely be September 2008. And sometime during that year settlement negotiations will probably take place as the two sides assess their respective positions. And, as you said, the settlement terms will remain confidential. About the only thing made public might be the $$ amount of the settlement, as it will have to be voted upon and approved by the Will County Commissioners, since public funds would be used to pay for the County's liability.

I do not recall reading or hearing any statement by Melissa saying she believes "the cops have lost interest."

The only inference I perceived from Kevin and Melissa during the interview was a tacit acknowledgement of how cold the trail has become, and I sensed that they doubted the killer would be found.

And Glasgow's flip statement about "that's why we got rid of the British. . .we have to respect people's rights. . ." is ridiculous. It just shows what a clueless buffoon he is. What kind of respect did they have for Kevin's rights when they interrogated him for 14.5 hours and jailed him for 8 months and didn't test the DNA they had from the beginning. I never knew that "rolling the bones" equated to respecting people's rights.

And Gladgow shouldn't be demeaning the British when Will County's got Tomczak, Kaupus, the six detectives, Mary Jane Pluth the cleaning lady who browbeat Tyler, and Janette Bishop-Green the sadistic jail guard who taunted Kevin. What a crew. We need to get rid of all of them.

----------------------------------
Oops - I just re-read the ABC Channel 7 page on the interview with the Foxes. The following quote from Melissa was in the printed story, but was apparently cut from the video:

"It's almost as if, I feel no one is taking it seriously. I guess. A way to put it," said Melissa.

Interesting -- I wonder why they cut that from the video. Especially since it's true.

Good Post, Genecam. The trial probably won't start then, but at least there is some sort of date set to go off of.

One has to wonder if they don't give a darn about who killed Riley because of the trial. If someone was suing you, would you want to help them? I don't think these guys look at it as their JOB or their DUTY to find the murderer. They are all so glib about the whole thing. You can bet your bottom dollar if this was of THEIR children they wouldn't sleep at night until they got the REAL killer! As Melissa said in one of her interviews last night, "Certain people need to stop living in denial. C'mon, it OBVIOUSLY wasn't Kevin."

Maddy's Mom said:
Good Post, Genecam. The trial probably won't start then, but at least there is some sort of date set to go off of.

One has to wonder if they don't give a darn about who killed Riley because of the trial. If someone was suing you, would you want to help them? I don't think these guys look at it as their JOB or their DUTY to find the murderer. They are all so glib about the whole thing. You can bet your bottom dollar if this was of THEIR children they wouldn't sleep at night until they got the REAL killer! As Melissa said in one of her interviews last night, "Certain people need to stop living in denial. C'mon, it OBVIOUSLY wasn't Kevin."
I try not to comment, but I have to on this one. Yes, the cops care. Do all of them? Probably not, but I know for certain there is a handful. Then spend their personal time trying to find answers. They all have other cases to handle and since this one is cold and getting old, the way politics play out is the newest cases move to the front of the line. Don't judge the cops, the individual cops, until you have met them.

TangledWishes said:
I try not to comment, but I have to on this one. Yes, the cops care. Do all of them? Probably not, but I know for certain there is a handful. Then spend their personal time trying to find answers. They all have other cases to handle and since this one is cold and getting old, the way politics play out is the newest cases move to the front of the line. Don't judge the cops, the individual cops, until you have met them.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good post!!

I am not judging all detectives, because I do realize that they take their orders from higher up. Whoever is "working" this case has shown no effort to the public at all. If they are working on it and trying to find answers, they should update the local public who still live in fear of this monster. If it weren't for Kevin and Melissa holding press conferances every 6 months or so to keep Riley's name in the public eye, how many people who don't live in Wilmington would remember that sweet little girl? Some, but most have already forgotten all about it. The only time it is mentioned is when Kevin and Melissa put themselves in front of the media.

I know there are so many other crimes to handle, and it would not be realistic to expect constant updates, but if they had done their job correctly in the first place, perhaps the monster would be off the streets by now.

Maddy's Mom said:
I am not judging all detectives, because I do realize that they take their orders from higher up. Whoever is "working" this case has shown no effort to the public at all. If they are working on it and trying to find answers, they should update the local public who still live in fear of this monster. If it weren't for Kevin and Melissa holding press conferances every 6 months or so to keep Riley's name in the public eye, how many people who don't live in Wilmington would remember that sweet little girl? Some, but most have already forgotten all about it. The only time it is mentioned is when Kevin and Melissa put themselves in front of the media.

I know there are so many other crimes to handle, and it would not be realistic to expect constant updates, but if they had done their job correctly in the first place, perhaps the monster would be off the streets by now.
You got it MM. Right on!!! There is absolutely no defense or excuse for the way this investigation was *advertiser censored****d up. All the Sheriff, the State's Attorney and the detectives have done since they jailed Kevin is CYA. They need the heat kept on them relentlessly. Kaupus and the detectives are only concerned about the fact that they are in real danger of being unemployed come November, and that the Will County taxpayers will be after their hides because their actions in this case are going to cost the taxpayers beaucoup $$$. They are only temporarily saved by the fact that the bill won't come due until after the election. In fact, that's another reason why they have dragged the civil case out and haven't proposed a settlement, because doing that before the election would be political suicide. It's all clear now - pure politics. They just continue to make Riley a political football while they play their little games. How disgusting.

TangledWishes said:
My comments on "the cops" on this board are not about ALL cops. They are specifically directed at the defendants in the Kevin Fox civil suit plus two others who were lucky enough not to be defendants, namely: former State's Attorney Jeff Tomczak, State's Attorney Jim Glasgow, Sheriff Paul Kaupus, the six detectives who interrogated Kevin for 14.5 hours, sadistric prison guard Janette Bishop-Green who taunted Kevin daily, Mary Jane Pluth the unlicensed person who browbeat Tyler, and the lie detector guy.

Of course most law enforcement officers are decent people. But it's the 10% of rotten apples like these incompetent thugs that get all of the publicity when they totally screw up a case like this and ruin the lives of innocent people, and they need to be held accountable for their actions. In fact, if all of the decent law enforcement people would condemn thugs like these and get them out of the profession, we'd all be better off. Their voices would be the most effective. Unfortunately, with a few notable exceptions, most law enforcement personnel rigidly conform to the "code of silence" -- Thou shalt never speak ill of any other law enforcement officer no matter how outrageous, illegal, unprofessional, dishonest or disgusting their actions are, for to do so would make me the condemned one.

I do not need to be reminded that "all cops" are not bad. This forum concerns LE in this case. I believe there are other forums to discuss "all cops" - where the integrity of the good ones can be defended. However, LE in this case has had no integrity. That's why Riley's murderer is still on the loose.

From the article:

Since then, Will County police have tested 50 to 60 DNA samples against evidence found on the toddler's body. It was the same sample that cleared her father, Kevin Fox, of the crime.
"We continue to check DNA samples of known sex offenders," said Pat Barry, spokesman for the county police. "We also check them with a national registry of sex offenders."

Barry said no one has been officially cleared of the crime.

No wonder we can't even agree here at WS that Kevin's been cleared. :doh: I HATE THE MEDIA!~

genecam said:
I do not need to be reminded that "all cops" are not bad. This forum concerns LE in this case. I believe there are other forums to discuss "all cops" - where the integrity of the good ones can be defended. However, LE in this case has had no integrity. That's why Riley's murderer is still on the loose.
I was speaking of the police officers on THIS case.

Jeana (DP) said:
From the article:

Barry said no one has been officially cleared of the crime.

No wonder we can't even agree here at WS that Kevin's been cleared. :doh: I HATE THE MEDIA!~
It's not the media. They are only reporting what Pat Barry, the Sheriff's spokesperson said. I would hate to make the assumption that Pat Barry and Sheriff Kaupus know what they are talking about.

Also, food for thought - although Barry said no one has been officially cleared of the crime, as of now, no one is officially charged with committing the crime.

genecam said:
It's not the media. They are only reporting what Pat Barry, the Sheriff's spokesperson said. I would hate to make the assumption that Pat Barry and Sheriff Kaupus know what they are talking about.

Also, food for thought - although Barry said no one has been officially cleared of the crime, as of now, no one is officially charged with committing the crime.

It was the media who just printed both versions in the link above. I've got my own personal bones to pick with the media.

Jeana (DP) said:
It was the media who just printed both versions in the link above. I've got my own personal bones to pick with the media.
Jeana (DP) - I agree, the media provides plenty of bones to pick with, but since you're a lawyer give us a legal explanation here based on the following: Kevin's case has already been adjudicated. The State's Attorney moved to nolo pros and dismiss the charges against Kevin. The judge granted the motion and dismissed the charges against him. When the Sheriff went to the State's Attorney with the evidence for the State's Attorney to pursue or not pursue as is his decision to make, doesn't that mean the case against Kevin was out of the Sheriff's jurisdiction and under the control of the State's Attorney? And especially since the judge has ruled and dismissed the charges.

To me that clearly means Kevin is cleared, and neither the Sheriff or his spokesperson can speak with any authority concerning whether or not Kevin is cleared. Therefore, Pat Barry must have been referring to someone else -- or probably no one else, since they don't have any clue about anyone else. And if he wasn't excluding Kevin, he was just plain wrong and "still in denial" as Melissa said the other night during one of the interviews.

genecam said:
Jeana (DP) - I agree, the media provides plenty of bones to pick with, but since you're a lawyer give us a legal explanation here based on the following: Kevin's case has already been adjudicated. The State's Attorney moved to nolo pros and dismiss the charges against Kevin. The judge granted the motion and dismissed the charges against him. When the Sheriff went to the State's Attorney with the evidence for the State's Attorney to pursue or not pursue as is his decision to make, doesn't that mean the case against Kevin was out of the Sheriff's jurisdiction and under the control of the State's Attorney? And especially since the judge has ruled and dismissed the charges.

To me that clearly means Kevin is cleared, and neither the Sheriff or his spokesperson can speak with any authority concerning whether or not Kevin is cleared. Therefore, Pat Barry must have been referring to someone else -- or probably no one else, since they don't have any clue about anyone else. And if he wasn't excluding Kevin, he was just plain wrong and "still in denial" as Melissa said the other night during one of the interviews.

Sorry Darlin! I don't do criminal work and would hate to tell you the wrong thing. Its my understanding though that he has been cleared.

Jeana (DP) said:
Sorry Darlin! I don't do criminal work and would hate to tell you the wrong thing. Its my understanding though that he has been cleared.
Thanks for the quick response. Even though you don't do criminal work, I agree with your understanding on this.

BTW - I have mellowed quite a bit since we last exchanged messages - probably becoming a grandfather is part of it. You can call me darlin' or the other terms you use any time. I was wrong to pick on you about it before and I apologize.

"You can call me darlin, darlin" -- Is that a Willie Nelson song title?

Kevin HAS been cleared. Pat Berry just can't get his big mouth to say it. God forbid they admit their mistake. That would make them look incompetant!

Obviously, the 59 people whose DNA was tested and did not match have been cleared. But they will not even say that much. Only that "No one has been cleared". They suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx