GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Especially because of this, really hard to read:

The murder of Von Wiese at the hands of the defendant and Schaefer was vicious,” prosecutors wrote in the sentencing memorandum, according to CBS News.

From above link
It's a pity all the other press articles are concentrating on HM requesting a reduced sentence. The Sunday Times UK article was really hard-hitting and detailed what she had done to her mother in the years leading up to the murder. It makes grim reading and it is clear that HM has never shown any real remorse. On this basis I think she should get the maximum possible jail sentence.

For those who can read the Times UK newspaper the article by Jacqui Goddard is entitled:

Spared the firing squad for her mother’s murder, what now for the ‘suitcase killer’?​

Yes, she'll probably be broke, but reformed? Learnt a lesson? I very much doubt it, her personality and character are never going to change, IMO, and it's to be hoped that she has as little input as possible into her daughter's upbringing and life.

Wednesday, January 17th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 10am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali on Aug. 12, 2014 by daughter & her bf Tommy Schaefer at the St. Regis Bali Resort Hotel in Bali, Indonesia) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26/now 28) Federal indictment (2017), charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond. Denied bond on 12/8/22.
Bench trial began on 9/6/22 for custody of Stella & ended on 11/18/22 with Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller ordering temporary care of Stella to Lisa Hellman, whose mother is/was sister of Sheila.
7/3/23 Update: Tommy Schaefer, currently serving an 18-year prison sentence in Bali for the murder of Sheila von Wiese, could be released from Indonesian custody and return to the United States as early as spring of 2026. Schaefer acknowledged his part in von Wiese’s brutal murder in 2014, but called his federal indictment for conspiracy to murder von Wiese “vengeful.” He also reiterated his contention that he never meant to kill her until a heated argument took place in her hotel room. Schaefer has already had four years and two months shaved off his sentence, and in August he will receive another six-month reduction.” With effectively 18 months off his sentence annually, Schaefer can expect release as early as April of 2026 & possibly earlier.
Federal Trial was set to begin on 8/1/23 is now vacated due to guilty plea on 6/16/23. Sentencing on 12/18/23 was continued on 1/17/24.
U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly presiding. Defense attorney Michael Leonard & Jeffrey Steinback.

Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1-25 (9/6/22 to 10/7/22) & thru 6/9/23 reference post #685 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-35

6/16/23 Update: Mack stood before U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly as he asked her questions. She spoke confidently & calmly as the judge asked whether she was giving up her right to remain silent at the motion hearing. “Yes, your honor,” Mack responded from a podium. After the judge explained the charge against her, Mack pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to kill a U.S. national. The judge set 12/18/23 as sentencing date for Mack. Mack struck a deal with federal prosecutors that would cap her prison sentence at 28 years. But key questions remain. Among them is whether U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly will credit Mack with the seven years she spent imprisoned in Indonesia. Another is whether Kennelly will accept the deal at all. Despite the cap on Mack’s sentence, she still seems to face a wide range of outcomes in December. That’s largely because prosecutors have taken the position that Mack should not be credited for the time she spent imprisoned in Indonesia. Mack’s lawyers disagree. As a result, Mack could potentially walk free after her sentencing. Or she could wind up serving a sentence that would keep her behind bars for another 20 years. It’s more likely her sentence will land somewhere in between.
12/18/23 Update: Sentencing date has been rescheduled on 1/17/24. Lawyers for Mack have asked a federal judge in Chicago to impose the minimum sentence of 15 years in prison & grant her credit for nearly 10 years already spent behind bars for her role in the headline-making murder of her mother. With good-time credit, the sentence requested by Mack’s defense team would likely mean she would spend only about three more years in prison. They filed a 37 page motion. While Mack is eligible for a life sentence, the written plea agreement includes a provision saying that Mack could not withdraw her plea if Kennelly agrees to sentence her to 28 years in prison or less. Kennelly is not obligated to go along with that; if he goes above a 28-year sentence, Mack could withdraw her guilty plea. Prosecutors are slated to file their own sentencing request later this week.

m1234.gif

Heather Mack was sentenced Wednesday to 26 years in federal prison for helping to murder her mother at a Bali resort and stuff her bludgeoned body in a suitcase, sparking a sensational legal saga and led police on a trail back to suburban Chicago.

[...]

In addition to the prison sentence, Kennelly ordered Mack to pay about $260,000 in restitution to her mother’s estate and pay a $50,000 fine.
m1234.gif

Does she get any credit for time served in Bali? I so hope not. I want her daughter to be at least 30 before she has to deal with that maniac again.

Also, is her little girl still with Sheila’s family?
Stella is with a cousin of Sheila's I believe in Colorado. At least she'll be an adult when Heather gets out so that Heather can't influence her growing up or try to profit off her. Hope that Stella isn't allowed to visit. The article says she's 8 now, so even if Heather does a minimum of 16 years with credit for time served, that'd put Stella into her 20's.

Last edited:
From the Yahoo article- I'm glad the judge didn't take this garbage into account:
Meanwhile, Mack’s self-described godmother, Diana Roque Ellis, wrote a letter to Kennelly posted on the court docket over the weekend in which she pleaded for leniency, saying she’s “seen no trace of this horrifically diabolical girl that Sheila had endlessly detailed throughout the years” and who has been demonized by the media.“What I have come to know is a surprisingly rational, even keeled, fair-minded, well spoken, intelligent, lovely young woman who is (surprisingly again) essentially cheerful, good-natured, sympathetic and kind,” Ellis wrote.Ellis also called out her slain friend, saying the abusive relationship between von Wiese-Mack and her daughter went both ways.
“It was mystifying as to how Sheila was always lovely, gracious and kind to me and her other friends and yet so unremittingly caustic to Heather,” Ellis wrote.

Does she get any credit for time served in Bali? I so hope not. I want her daughter to be at least 30 before she has to deal with that maniac again....
Looked for a straight answer. Sounds like she'll at least be in for twenty years. If so, Stella will be 28 yrs. old. That is what we all care about-- keeping Stella safe from her until she's grown.

Mack, 28, who pleaded guilty last year to conspiring to murder a U.S. citizen on foreign soil, has already spent nearly 10 years behind bars for the August 2014 slaying of Sheila von Wiese-Mack, including about 7 years in a prison in Indonesia.

The sentence handed down by U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly means Mack will not be eligible for release until she is about 48 years old.

[...]

Prosecutors, though, asked for 28 years in prison for Mack, writing in a filing last week that she has shown little remorse and has continued to try to capitalize on her own infamy through tell-all book and entertainment deals. Such as sentence would keep Mack, originally from Oak Park, locked up for about 16 more years.

[...]

Mack’s daughter, now 8, has been placed with a relative in the U.S. after a lengthy and bitter custody battle in Cook County Circuit Court.

m1234.gif

Heather Mack was sentenced Wednesday to 26 years in federal prison for helping to murder her mother at a Bali resort and stuff her bludgeoned body in a suitcase, sparking a sensational legal saga and led police on a trail back to suburban Chicago.

[...]

In addition to the prison sentence, Kennelly ordered Mack to pay about $260,000 in restitution to her mother’s estate and pay a $50,000 fine.
m1234.gif
Bill Wiese's statement read out to the court, which is detailed in the Chicago Tribune article, was damning. As most people already suspected, the money HM received from her mother's estate to pay for "legal fees" was in effect used for bribes. I'm glad the judge believed him.

The Daily Mail is reporting it now. It says the judge deducted two years from the 28 years the prosecution had asked for in view of the two years HM had spent in jail awaiting trial.

Bill Wiese's statement read out to the court, which is detailed in the Chicago Tribune article, was damning. As most people already suspected, the money HM received from her mother's estate to pay for "legal fees" was in effect used for bribes. I'm glad the judge believed him.
yeah so that she could roam the grounds of the prison and get access to cell phones, have her daughter present for 2 years and party.

I especially like that the Judge forced her to pay restitution. Shelia tolerated so much from this evil child. May many sweet and happy blessings be showered upon Stella.

It is a good day for Justice.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom