IL IL - Timmothy Fry-Pitzen, 6, Aurora, 13 May 2011 - mom found dead - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for the wonderful posts about this case.
It really breaks my heart to see something like this. Sadly, I believe that he is no longer with us. I have a sliver of hope though.

I may be alone in this, but then we're all just speculating and guessing right now so I'll put in my two cents (again).

I just don't see in Amy a woman who was on the run from an abusive spouse or anything like that. I see a woman who was very, very seriously depressed and running from her life (not running for her life). I picture her just deciding 'I can't take this anymore' and wanting to show her son a good time before she ended her life. She picks him up, takes him to the zoo, then heads north and stays at a couple of water parks/resorts with him. Then she turns back to Illinois.

If she were in fear for her life and her child's, I don't think she would have headed in that direction, and she wouldn't have been leaving a credit card trail since leaving home. Heading back to Illinois, she may have even thought they'd go home; after all, she did get down to I-88. She was so close but then turned the other way instead. And that's where my interest lies--what did she do next, and why did she do it? It's Friday afternoon and evening where the important questions lie for me. I've wondered if maybe all along she had a plan to meet somebody on that Friday and give Timmothy to them.

As I said in the first few days, the one thing that I question is why LE has not said what kind of clothes and toys she bought on her road trip. Those could trigger something in a witness's memory.

Something that's always been a little confusing in the reports about this are those phone calls from the Sterling-Rock Falls area--the ones where Timmothy was last heard. Some of the reports early on said that a relative talked to him, but others since have said that a relative heard him in the background saying he was hungry. Did they really hear Timmothy, or did they hear a kid (some other kid?) in the background? Was Timmothy really there at that point?

I have been going back and forth in my mind about whether I think he is safe or not. At first I thought he was, then I thought he couldn't be or whoever had him would have come forth, and now I'm back to thinking he's alive somewhere. Somehow I just can't (or don't want to) believe that she harmed him.

MarthaM, you framed my mindset perfectly. I have the exact same questions and concerns.

I've written 3 reporters now @ Tribune and have gotten no response about the clothes and toys. I don't know what the answer is there - maybe they don't either.

I agree that from what limited information I have it seems Amy was just trying desperately to escape her unhappiness and that's why she left with Timmothy.

I can also see her not telling the husband or calling him after the fact - as if she associated anything close to her with that unhappiness (warranted or not). It's entirely anecdotal but I was married to someone once who was borderline and depressed - and the therapist told her that very thing.

I find it very hard, given the few things we know, to believe Amy would hurt Timmothy. I feel in my core that he will be found eventually, alive and well ... I just don't understandy why she would do it this way ... or who could possibly have Timmothy who wouldn't speak up after the story resolved so horribly.

I pray that I'm right ...

Some really good strains of thought here....so was the trip (not the suicide) planned or unplanned?

If planned, there has to be some record of a contact with whomever has him. Email, phone, text, ...something. You don't just drop in on someone and leave your child for the rest of his life. Whether she planned her suicide or not at that point, if she planned the trip she should have had clothes, toys, toothbrush, etc.....think about everything you pack iwth a child for one overnight in a hotel.....apparently, nothing was packed and currently there has been no communications uncovered...which leads me to...
maybe it was unplanned....she seemed normal that day, had no reservations at the resorts, didn't have a car, was dropped off at work like normal.....what changed that morning at work? Was she "not in a very good place" or was she fine...I've seen both reports now, her state of mind would indicate a serious motive for me. No one knew where she was going, she hopped from one resort to the next, had to buy clothes and toys, didn't pack.....this sounds very unplanned. So like the early post by MarthaM, maybe nothing was planned at all....this makes me very wiorried about Timmothy. If nothing was planned, which is what the current evidence leads us to conclude, I doubt Timmothy is with anyone other than Amy.
But what changed that morning at work, what did she tell her employer, what did she tell the school, and why didn't she take her husband's calls all day.....there was something that took place in her mind on Wednesday that might lend a clue.
Furthermore, like MarthaM said, she's almost home coming down I-39...but goes West to Sterling instead of East to Aurora....what changed after she just had 2 great days wtih her son....or did she really know all along, but was not packed for the trip. But why didn't she feel like she could go home, I"m sorry but we have to ask that questions....what else was going on?
And then Friday....very strange day....7 hours between Sterling and Winnebago store, where/what was she doing? We need that answer. And 3 hours between Winnebago and the hotel (20 min drive)? We need that answer. If she knew she was going to committ suicide, what did she purchase in Winnebago? I haven't seen that info.

Trust me I have hope, but very concerned about the gaping holes in the information and most disturbing, albeit probably just reported wrong, but there are blatent contradictions.

As I am somewhat new to WS (I joined to follow the Skelton case) I dont know - how do you fill those holes?

Ive tried writing journalists working on the case who work at the same company I do and they dont even respond to emails.

Does anyone ever have success contacting LE directly?

Because I agree, those answers are integral and Im sure LE and the family know. Thats part of what gives me hope is even with those answers they believe Timmothy is alive.

Security release video, timeline in search for missing boy

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/news/5588124-418/security-release-video-timeline-in-search-for-missing-boy.html

Snipped :

Before going to the Brookfield Zoo on May 11, Amy dropped off her 2004 Ford Expedition SUV for repairs at a La Grange body shop. She and Timmothy were then taken to the zoo by a shop employee at around 10 a.m. The pair returned to pick up the vehicle at about 3 p.m., before heading to Gurnee where they stayed overnight, police said.

Snipped :

Detectives have learned that Amy visited a Family Dollar store in Winnebago, Ill., at about 7:25 p.m. May 13, where she bought a pen, paper and envelopes. She was then spotted at a food store close to the Family Dollar at around 8 p.m., and checked into the Rockford Inn at 11:15 p.m. Timmothy was apparently not with his mother in Rockford on Friday night, police said.

Snipped :

Police have narrowed cell phone triangulations from the calls Amy placed on May 13 to a tower just northwest of Sterling near Route 40. Plans are under way to search that area in the coming days, police said.

Snipped :

Rockford police conducted a search from the air on May 20 that focused on the area between the Rockford Inn and the area from which Amy placed the calls on May 13; and police officers and employees from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources have been searching for evidence at state parks in the area.

Nothing of value as evidence has been found in the additional searches, police said.

Aurora police are processing two computers taken from Amy’s home and one from her work place.

Police said they have talked to dozens of family members, friends, co-workers, and others, and are researching e-mails, financial documents, cell phone records and other items.

This provides a little more information as to what she purchased, where, and adds a bit to the timeline. Good info.

Security release video, timeline in search for missing boy

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/news/5588124-418/security-release-video-timeline-in-search-for-missing-boy.html

This provides a little more information as to what she purchased, where, and adds a bit to the timeline. Good info.

She bought pen, paper and envelopes? I guess her family and friends must have received letters from her? This to me sounds like goodbye. I feel Timmothy might not be with us anymore. Praying this is not true.

comforting thought....if she showed up without Timmothy in Winnebago at 7:30, it was still daylight. More difficult to do harm or dispose of someone in broad daylight, but apparently had a destination if the pings were up NW of Sterling....just hoping she met someone as that direction is very close to old Iowa contacts in the Clinton area. Please let this boy appear unharmed.

I doubt that she was last with Timmothy right where the last cell phone calls were made from. She probably went on further before she either gave him to someone or did something else.

She bought pen, paper and envelopes? I guess her family and friends must have received letters from her?

I would guess that she bought those to write the note she left, the one saying that she had left Timmothy with someone.

I wonder what she did for the 3 hours between the grocery store and checking into the hotel?

And I'm hoping there were surveillance cameras in that shopping center's parking lot, so that they might be able to confirm that Timmothy wasn't asleep in the car while she went into those stores. That could change the search area completely.

The 3 hours between the winnebago and the hotel has always bugged me. I realize that Timmothy is not seen with her, but like you say, if he was, maybe that was her desicion making time.

ButI have to go back to the fact that she left secretly from her husband, and for whatever reason, she couldn't go back and she couldn't allow Timmothy to go back.....what was up at home. The final fate of Timmothy and Amy may have come down to a decision made in the late afternoon or evening (8-11pm) on Fri, but what/who was she running from, why did she need to get away, why couldn't she go back?

I'm trying to put together a timeline so I can make a map - this is what I have, if you guys see problems with this please let me know :

Wed May 11

Early AM - Left home @ 400 Block of N Highland Ave of Aurora. Father dropped Amy off at work and Timmothy off at school

Early AM - Amy walks home and picks up vehicle

8:35am - Amy checks Timmothy out from school

10:00am - Amy and Timmothy are taken to Brookfield Zoo by Shop Employee after dropping Vehicle off for repairs

3:00pm - Amy and Timmothy leave car mechanic

Evening - Amy and Timmothy arrive at Key Lime Cove Water Park in Gurnee, IL

Thursday, May 12

Early AM - Amy and Timmothy leave Key Lime Cove

11:15am - Amy and Timmothy Purchase Clothes and Toys at a Shopko, 4800 Block of Washington Ave, Racine, WI

2:20pm - Amy and Timmothy stop for Gas and Drinks at Qwik-Trip store in Johnson Creek, WI

Evening - Amy and Timmothy arrive at Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells, WI

Friday, May 13

10:10am - Amy and Timmothy check out of Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells, WI (This is last time Timmothy is seen)

12:00pm - 1:30pm - Amy makes a series of phone calls to friends and family, including to brother of husband who speaks to Timmothy. Police put location of these calls as area NW of Sterling, WI - near Route 40

7:25pm - Amy is seen at Family Dollar in Winnebego, IL without Timmothy. She purchases pen, paper, envelopes.

8:00pm - Amy is seen at a Grocery Store alone in Winnebego, IL

11:15pm - Amy checks in to a Motel alone in Rockford, IL

Saturday, May 14

AM - Amy's Body is discovered in Rockford, IL motel - apparent suicide with note claiming Timmothy is in safe care of people.

The final fate of Timmothy and Amy may have come down to a decision made in the late afternoon or evening (8-11pm) on Fri, but what/who was she running from, why did she need to get away, why couldn't she go back?

I don't think it's unusual for someone who is suicidal to distance him/herself from those who are most likely to stop them, or talk them out of it. It's just as likely that she didn't answer her husband's calls or go home for that reason as it is that she was in fear of him. Really, I haven't seen anything to indicate that her husband is in any way a suspect. And I don't know that speculating about her marriage relationship is helpful in finding Timmothy, unless her husband was a suspect. That may answer some 'why' questions later, but right now what LE needs is where and when and how.

This looks very interesting when you map it out. It's like she was heading almost towards minnesota up until the time she made the phone calls - then her next known location looks like she turned around and headed home.

I'll map it all on a single map soon to make it more clear.

The two time periods I find odd are the times after she made the calls with Timmothy (6 hours, but it's a 3 hour drive) and the 3 hours between the Grocery Store and the Motel (20 minute drive)

Really it looks like she was heading home.

The 3 hours between the winnebago and the hotel has always bugged me. I realize that Timmothy is not seen with her, but like you say, if he was, maybe that was her desicion making time.

ButI have to go back to the fact that she left secretly from her husband, and for whatever reason, she couldn't go back and she couldn't allow Timmothy to go back.....what was up at home. The final fate of Timmothy and Amy may have come down to a decision made in the late afternoon or evening (8-11pm) on Fri, but what/who was she running from, why did she need to get away, why couldn't she go back?

I agree with you!

I don't think it's unusual for someone who is suicidal to distance him/herself from those who are most likely to stop them, or talk them out of it.

Very true, if that was the case...I was considering the idea that she hadn't made that desicion until Fri.

Really, I haven't seen anything to indicate that her husband is in any way a suspect. And I don't know that speculating about her marriage relationship is helpful in finding Timmothy, unless her husband was a suspect.

With info that we have, unfortunaty, speculate is all we have to try to come up with a hint/clue. I realize he's not a suspect, but some of the events on Wed. and information provided create suspicion...not necessarily on their marriage, but on her state of mind. Also, I am concerned that the husband didn't report them missing after stating "she was not in a good place", until Thursday...imo, I could NOT go to sleep if my wife uprooted my child unexpectedly from school, wasn't returning calls, took a car that needed service and had been gone since 8:30 AM.....I know, hind sight is 20/20, but I've been over this so many times....why wait over night to report....I wouldn't.

Just trying to hlelp figure this one out....for Timmothy's sake.

I'm trying to put together a timeline so I can make a map - this is what I have, if you guys see problems with this please let me know :

Wed May 11

Early AM - Left home @ 400 Block of N Highland Ave of Aurora. Father dropped Amy off at work and Timmothy off at school

Early AM - Amy walks home and picks up vehicle

8:35am - Amy checks Timmothy out from school

10:00am - Amy and Timmothy are taken to Brookfield Zoo by Shop Employee after dropping Vehicle off for repairs

3:00pm - Amy and Timmothy leave car mechanic

Evening - Amy and Timmothy arrive at Key Lime Cove Water Park in Gurnee, IL

Thursday, May 12

Early AM - Amy and Timmothy leave Key Lime Cove

11:15am - Amy and Timmothy Purchase Clothes and Toys at a Shopko, 4800 Block of Washington Ave, Racine, WI

2:20pm - Amy and Timmothy stop for Gas and Drinks at Qwik-Trip store in Johnson Creek, WI

Evening - Amy and Timmothy arrive at Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells, WI

Friday, May 13

10:10am - Amy and Timmothy check out of Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells, WI (This is last time Timmothy is seen)

12:00pm - 1:30pm - Amy makes a series of phone calls to friends and family, including to brother of husband who speaks to Timmothy. Police put location of these calls as area NW of Sterling, WI - near Route 40

7:25pm - Amy is seen at Family Dollar in Winnebego, IL without Timmothy. She purchases pen, paper, envelopes.

8:00pm - Amy is seen at a Grocery Store alone in Winnebego, IL

11:15pm - Amy checks in to a Motel alone in Rockford, IL

Saturday, May 14

AM - Amy's Body is discovered in Rockford, IL motel - apparent suicide with note claiming Timmothy is in safe care of people.

I am wondering if something happened on Wedesday morning @ work that set this all in motion.

Also, I am concerned that the husband didn't report them missing after stating "she was not in a good place", until Thursday...imo, I could NOT go to sleep if my wife uprooted my child unexpectedly from school, wasn't returning calls, took a car that needed service and had been gone since 8:30 AM.....I know, hind sight is 20/20, but I've been over this so many times....why wait over night to report....I wouldn't.

There was a link to an article earlier in this thread in which the husband said that she had taken off overnight before, so he didn't find it that unusual. I would guess he checked with the car place and they told him they'd picked up the car, so he thought she was doing what she had done before---going somewhere unexpectedly and then coming back.

There was a link to an article earlier in this thread in which the husband said that she had taken off overnight before, so he didn't find it that unusual. I would guess he checked with the car place and they told him they'd picked up the car, so he thought she was doing what she had done before---going somewhere unexpectedly and then coming back.

Yikes, I don't have kids, but if my husband ever left overnight w/one of my dogs w/o any explanation or contact, he and I would likely no longer be married. Allowing that type of behavior set a very unhealthy precedent.

To be fair, if I ever pulled a stunt like that, I would expect him to divorce me as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff