GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think Willows mom and grandparents would do everything possible to keep Justin away from children if they had the slightes idea he was capable of hurting a child.

I would also like to know how long he lived there and if he was around Willow all her life.

I have give kudos to LE in this case. I would have preferred more information but they gave what they could and the biggest thing of all, they started with volunteers right away by saying they weren't asking but anyone who came wouldn't be turned away. She would probably still be lying there as they searched from the house out if they didn't make use of the massive volunteer army that came to help. They let them search at night, until midnight the first night iirc and yesterday of course they had the body so called them in early.

Other police departments could take note of this case and I think it is Kiernan's case in canada where LE let people know what was happening at all stages, i may have the name wrong but it was like that. Another case happened recently too where LE shared a lot with the public that helped

Super big kudos to the searchers especially those who finally found her but the others were vital too clearing areas so they didnt have to be gone through by LE again

Having an interest in Islam is not a negative at all. I wish more people would learn about the real religion rather than the twisted one that the terrorists promote. He went to university, he had a job, he was in a relationship, al normal things for his age. The very young girls does make me think my theory of pedophilia may be accurate but from the outside i see few negatives

The fact he got his GED doesn't tell me anything negative as many many have done so because the school isn't offering enough and they want to get to college faster. He went to two universities.

Did he attend a University, or take some online courses? I don't think you can even get a job at WalMart without at least a GED, so that was necessary for him to do so. He said he dropped out of school, not that he opted to take the GED to attend college sooner. I wonder if anyone knows who he was in a relationship with. In consideration that most of the military actions the US gets involved in are in Muslim countries, I just don't think followers of Islam are readily accepted into the US military. I don't know if he was a follower, or just found an interest. I am not putting down Islam at all. I feel the basic tenets are good, but it all depends on the teacher. Nevertheless, US Military institutions aren't too keen on signing up Islamists into their forces. Not just my opinion; http://www.danielpipes.org/comments. /197390

Hi all. I have been a lurker to these forums for years but haven't really posted anything.

This little red-headed sweetheart has totally captivated me and my heart is breaking. So I guess I am stepping in to give my :twocents:. Sorry if I slip up and mess up on the rules or TOS and all that. Please feel free to correct me.

I wanted to mention a couple things. I live in a small (<10,000) town in the mid-west and my job is such that I am bombarded with drug and crime stories every day. I see this type of thing all the time in my line of work (no, not LE or child services). I would like to suggest that drugs are involved in this scenario but it is not the uncle necessarily. I mean, I don't think drugs made him kill this little angel. But I do believe drugs enabled him to kill her. Get my drift? And usually in these situations, there are family members who know something is going on that is detrimental to the kids in one way or another. But they don't say anything.

I do believe the first-degree charge is not going to be so much that this was premeditated but because it was heinous and was committed against someone so young. I would not count out sexual assault but I think a more likely scenario is that she was brutally beaten to death out of rage. She probably p*ssed him off for the last time and he knew mom was passed out so he let her have it. Both an anger management issue and a crime of opportunity. It sounds also maybe like this guy has had a crummy life and didn't really know how to deal with stuff, thus the reason he retreated to gaming fantasy worlds. What happens when abused children grow up without getting the help they desperately need? They likely repeat the pattern.

Suppose we will all find out soon enough. I'm sure the pieces are all there already. LE just isn't releasing the info to the media right now.

I just feel numb...no not really numb because I'm angry! I'm sad! I'm heartbroken! But I'm not surprised. I want to cry, but no tears. I hate this! WHY? WHY? WHY? It NEVER should happen! Yet sadly we know it does. It will NEVER make sense, no matter what the defense is. NEVER will there be a reason to MURDER a child! UGH!

I'll remember you dear Willow each and every time I ride the new horse named "Willow". I won't forget you. I just wish you could ride Willow with me. :(

Now your post just brought tears back to my eyes! My horse's registered name is Spirit Seeker...When we breed her and she has a girl, I think her name will be Willow's Spirit.

I've been on WS for a few years and rarely cry over cases. This one really got to me today. I drove by a cemetery with a burial about to take place about an hour ago and burst into tears.

I'm thinking a GED is the most likely reason he didn't get into the military. My son didn't drop out and got his diploma for this very reason. He wants to be a Marine.

Also, the asvab test is not simple. Many take it several times before passing. My son has taken it twice. In school he was allowed to use a calculator to solve math problems. The military, afaik, does not let you use a calculator when taking the asvab. He's currently learning to solve math problems on paper so he can pass.

ETA: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/faqged.htm

Many people get into the military with GEDs. Many people get into the military with a letter from a judge after having a checkered juvenile past as well (not referring to this case). Many GED holders are allowed to attend classes once they have joined the miltary to get a high school equivalency diploma. :twocents:

He's her uncle, and I think a lot of us want to make this situation the least awful we can in our minds... But he was charged with first degree murder. It could just be because she's so young, but for a first degree charge I would think it would have to be a lot more than an accident and covering it up.

I, like all of you, am completely heartbroken over this. I don't know what to think about mom or anything else right now. I just know that if she isn't at fault she probably won't sleep another full night for the rest of her life. My heart goes out to the innocent family members and friends... I'm sure it was from the person they least suspected and they've been blindsided.

I can't imagine how anyone could look at the sick twisted way he presents himself and think it would be ok for him to have access to a child. His demeanor screams irresponsible dangerous freak to me. How many times do we have to read about murderers whose friends and family describe as quiet or harmless? Evil loves to hide. This kid was trying to hide the evil monster inside. This little girl was right there in the house with him...he waited until mom wasn't there to protect her, then he struck.

It seems so obvious to me. I wish all parents would stay alert and err on the side of common sense. Just because he is a blood relative doesn't make him safe but it did buy him access to two children's innocent lives . I hope they make sure the three year old brother is really ok. No telling what that freak may have done without getting caught.

MOO

Release:

EFFINGHAM COUNTY STATES ATTORNEY RELEASE ON ARREST IN WILLOW LONG CASE

Effingham County State&#8217;s Attorney Bryan M. Kibler has released the following information this afternoon on the arrest of Justin D. DeRyke in the murder of 7-year old Willow Long of Watson.

&#8220;On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at approximately 5:55a.m., agents of Illinois State Police Zone 7 Investigations placed Justin D DeRyke, 22, of Watson, Illinois, under arrest for the murder of Willow Long, 7, of Watson. Mr. DeRyke is the maternal uncle of the deceased child.

An autopsy being conducted at this hour by Dr. John A Heidingsfelder, forensic pathologist has confirmed the identity of the body of a child found Monday evening by volunteer searchers south of Watson to be that of Willow Long. All indications are that the death is a homicide. The autopsy is ongoing and is being facilitated at St. Anthony&#8217;s Memorial Hospital in Effingham.

The Effingham County Sheriff&#8217;s Department and the Illinois State Police continue to investigate the matter.

The Effingham County State&#8217;s Attorney&#8217;s Office will file First Degree Murder charges against the defendant on Wednesday afternoon in Effingham County Circuit Court, pending the possibility of additional charges to be filed later.

The defendant&#8217;s initial court appearance will take place on Wednesday, September 11, 2013, at 1:00p.m., on the second floor of the Effingham County Government Center, 120 W. Jefferson Ave. in Effingham, IL.&#8221;

Source: http://www.vandaliaradio.com/Effingham-County-States-Attorney-Release-on-Arrest/17262097

I'm thinking a GED is the most likely reason he didn't get into the military. My son didn't drop out and got his diploma for this very reason. He wants to be a Marine.

Also, the asvab test is not simple. Many take it several times before passing. My son has taken it twice. In school he was allowed to use a calculator to solve math problems. The military, afaik, does not let you use a calculator when taking the asvab. He's currently learning to solve math problems on paper so he can pass.

ETA: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/faqged.htm

Kudos for your son wanting to be a Marine - he still CAN! My nephew is currently in USMC Boot Camp & struggled with graduating but USMC provided mentors/tutors who helped him after he enlisted (his Jr year).

I cannot wait to hear the Uncle's reasoning/excuse . . . cannot blame it on him not getting into the Military, on him not graduating HS, on him wasting life away on video games, etc. I have no idea but again, cannot wait to learn !

:rose: Rest in peace pretty little lady :rose:

:tears:

I can't imagine how anyone could look at the sick twisted way he presents himself and think it would be ok for him to have access to a child. His demeanor screams irresponsible dangerous freak to me. How many times do we have to read about murderers whose friends and family describe as quiet or harmless? Evil loves to hide. This kid was trying to hide the evil monster inside. This little girl was right there in the house with him...he waited until mom wasn't there to protect her, then he struck.

It seems so obvious to me. I wish all parents would stay alert and err on the side of common sense. Just because he is a blood relative doesn't make him safe but it did buy him access to two children's innocent lives . I hope they make sure the three year old brother is really ok. No telling what that freak may have done without getting caught.

MOO

other than the fact that we now know he is likely guilty of killing his 7 year old niece, can you tell me exactly what it is that makes you say he clearly looks like a twisted evil freak that should have never been allowed around children?

thank you.

other than the fact that we now know he is likely guilty of killing his 7 year old niece, can you tell me exactly what it is that makes you say he clearly looks like a twisted evil freak that should have never been allowed around children?

thank you.

IMOO..He is a suspect in her death and is not guilty yet.

I hadn't known about this missing child until this morning. I'd been focused on the mid-Michigan missing teens who were located on Sunday morning near Wrigley Field in Chicago.

It is truly disheartening to learn that another young child has met with a senseless death. That beautiful Willow was allegedly murdered by her uncle is beyond belief :stormingmad:

Thoughts and prayers for those who loved Willow.

thank you.

I'd also like to know this.

I've only looked briefly at his social media stuff (the gaming profile, who he followed on twitter (more gaming stuff), and whatever has been posted here.

I really, really hope people aren't basing all these assumptions solely on the fact that he had a silly overgrown Justin Bieber haircut.

IF he was sexually abusing Willow, he may have been sexually abusing the boy, too. It happened to my niece and nephew (actually, not far from Effingham). My niece was 5 and my nephew was 3 and there was a new born involved, too.
Fortunately, my niece was caught acting out sexually and told on the uncle. He never was prosecuted though, due to lack of evidence.

To murder a child, you have to be pretty demented.

Maybe Uncle Justin came into the livingroom and started messing with Willow (playing with her I mean) like uncles do. He's a tall guy, pretty muscular. It would not surprise me if her death was accidental..."facing" 1st degree murder means he killed her. Without having all the facts of the situation, when someone dies and there is an arrest, that person faces all sorts of varying degrees of murder charges until developments are made and something "for sure" comes of it.

Maybe Justin was just playing with his little niece, things got too rough and her tiny neck broke from a fall after uncle Justin accidentally dropped her while playing the "hold ' her upside down' game. That thought makes me sick to my stomach but it is a possibility. I can see a guy that young freaking out and just grabbing her, fleeing the house and dumping her outside of town. It would also explain why little brother was upset. I've never been in that sort of situation, but everyone reacts to horrific things in different ways, and I can see a "freak out session" on his part and just dumping her to make it go away.

This is all total speculation but I pray this is a situation where accidental is the reason. It would be better than the alternative. :( I'm so very sad right now.

I'd also like to know this.

I've only looked briefly at his social media stuff (the gaming profile, who he followed on twitter (more gaming stuff), and whatever has been posted here.

I really, really hope people aren't basing all these assumptions solely on the fact that he had a silly overgrown Justin Bieber haircut.

I would hazard a guess that the pending charges of first degree murder are not based on assumptions.:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member