GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about not being able to post the link but thexradio.com has a brief print interview with JD grandmother just posted and will be positing a video of the interview shortly. She says her and her husband will not be offering any financial support to their son.
http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7546-interview-w-willow-s-grandma
Here is link to interview video not up yet

To be clear- it states that they won't be offering financial help from the money raised for Willow.

My heart breaks for her. Losing a grandchild... I can't imagine anything worse. Well, other than knowing your own child did it.

(Sorry- catching up- should have kept reading before I posted!)

If there was evidence of Willow being murdered in the home, would LE have already released it to the family? Is the family living there, now?

I was just thinking the same, along with gma saying they knew nothing more than the rest of us, "you will hear in court"

*just thinking out loud*
I read crime scene tape wasn't put up around the house until monday night, I didn't see any tape in gma's interview video so that could give 3 full days for a search. LE are keeping things very tight to their vest, I can understand why. Still unsure what this means, did they find what they were looking for? hmmm

ETA: I'm just wondering if the search is/was concentrated elsewhere, and/or if they are still actively working one of the crime scenes, and which one.

I was just thinking the same, along with gma saying they knew nothing more than the rest of us, "you will hear in court"

*just thinking out loud*
I read crime scene tape wasn't put up around the house until monday night, I didn't see any tape in gma's interview video so that could give 3 full days for a search. LE are keeping things very tight to their vest, I can understand why. Still unsure what this means, did they find what they were looking for? hmmm

I was a bit unsure about this, too. I'd think it would be too soon to turn the house over, but I got the impression from Grandma that maybe she was still living there... The comments about people driving by, staring, as well as how they had picked up the memorial to take the toys "inside." Maybe she just literally meant "inside," as in "inside a car or any place out of the rain," but I took it to mean the house.

That being said, how on earth could they have completely finished with the crime scene there? I'd think they'd want to check the pipes, etc for blood... Unless they have already found the actual murder site for certain. [Whether that means JD was telling the truth (partially)and it was outside in the pile of brush, at the dump site, or somewhere else.]

All IMO

Uncomfortable viewing. I don't know why people have to be judgmental, ignorant and just plain mean. I despair at some people every single day. Big mouths and little brains MOO. I just hope one day Mrs Deryke will know that not everyone is like that, and a lot of people have the grandparents, the family and everyone who loved Willow in their thoughts and hearts.

As soon as I heard the voice of that reporter, I instantly recognized it. When I was in college, I took a sports broadcasting class. On Friday nights, we had to cover local high school football games. My first game was in Sullivan. When I got there, I met a guy named Greg. He was the most helpful, professional and friendly guy I've ever met. He came to us five minutes before we went on the air and told us to put our headsets on. When he called 1 minute, I got butterflies in my stomach. He told me to relax and talk into the mic. I said, "What mic?" The mic was attached to the headset but wasn't bent down. So he pushed it down as he counted down from 10 seconds. He came on a few times during the night to help us with the broadcast. I never understood how he could be so calm. But that was nothing compared to the interview he did with Willow's grandma. I've covered a lot of heartbreaking stories over the years, and I often get choked up. I burst into tears when a lady told me about officers knocking on her door after her son was killed in Vietnam. Heck, I think I would have been bawling more than Mrs. DeRyke. She held it together really well for what she's been through.

The news has been plastered all over my Facebook for the past several days. People I know comment on news articles and have made statements about how precious their own kids are. Some are very touching. Some are very troubling. Many of the people have never read the details of a crime this horrific, and nothing this horrific has ever happened in their lifetimes. The degree of violence and the proximity to where they live their lives has made them acutely aware that their children are never as safe as they'd like them to be.

Think about that case that broke you. We all have them. Some of us have many. For the people who have made the nasty remarks, pointed fingers and expressed outrage, this is the one that has shaken them to the core, that has them doubting humanity, that has them angry. It has clouded their thinking and jaded them. A whole community has lost its innocence. People are afraid to let their children play in the back yard or walk to school or spend the night with a friend. I guess what I'm saying is that every member of this geographic area sees himself as a victim here. This has affected thousands of people. That doesn't make it right for them to spout hurtful nonsense about a family in grief. But it makes it understandable.

I was a bit unsure about this, too. I'd think it would be too soon to turn the house over, but I got the impression from Grandma that maybe she was still living there... The comments about people driving by, staring, as well as how they had picked up the memorial to take the toys "inside." Maybe she just literally meant "inside," as in "inside a car or any place out of the rain," but I took it to mean the house.

That being said, how on earth could they have completely finished with the crime scene there? I'd think they'd want to check the pipes, etc for blood... Unless they have already found the actual murder site for certain. [Whether that means JD was telling the truth (partially)and it was outside in the pile of brush, at the dump site, or somewhere else.]

All IMO
Picking up toys from the memorial ...
Taking the toys inside.
That brings me to tears.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

As soon as I heard the voice of that reporter, I instantly recognized it. When I was in college, I took a sports broadcasting class. On Friday nights, we had to cover local high school football games. My first game was in Sullivan. When I got there, I met a guy named Greg. He was the most helpful, professional and friendly guy I've ever met. He came to us five minutes before we went on the air and told us to put our headsets on. When he called 1 minute, I got butterflies in my stomach. He told me to relax and talk into the mic. I said, "What mic?" The mic was attached to the headset but wasn't bent down. So he pushed it down as he counted down from 10 seconds. He came on a few times during the night to help us with the broadcast. I never understood how he could be so calm. But that was nothing compared to the interview he did with Willow's grandma. I've covered a lot of heartbreaking stories over the years, and I often get choked up. I burst into tears when a lady told me about officers knocking on her door after her son was killed in Vietnam. Heck, I think I would have been bawling more than Mrs. DeRyke. She held it together really well for what she's been through.

The news has been plastered all over my Facebook for the past several days. People I know comment on news articles and have made statements about how precious their own kids are. Some are very touching. Some are very troubling. Many of the people have never read the details of a crime this horrific, and nothing this horrific has ever happened in their lifetimes. The degree of violence and the proximity to where they live their lives has made them acutely aware that their children are never as safe as they'd like them to be.

Think about that case that broke you. We all have them. Some of us have many. For the people who have made the nasty remarks, pointed fingers and expressed outrage, this is the one that has shaken them to the core, that has them doubting humanity, that has them angry. It has clouded their thinking and jaded them. A whole community has lost its innocence. People are afraid to let their children play in the back yard or walk to school or spend the night with a friend. I guess what I'm saying is that every member of this geographic area sees himself as a victim here. This has affected thousands of people. That doesn't make it right for them to spout hurtful nonsense about a family in grief. But it makes it understandable.

While I agree with most of what you say, the bbm part we will have to agree to disagree. Nothing makes it understandable, especially in situations like this imo.

I keep thinking about how the Grandfather, JD's father, said JD was the kid that didn't give them that many problems, or something to that effect. I doubt these Grandparents ever, ever saw anything like this about to happen. "It must have been an accident" is what Grandpa was trying to find comfort in at first. I don't know how he'll feel once this all sinks in.

RSBM - I have personally not had to be in the situation where it hits close to home but I can understand how upsetting and unnerving that would be, you don't know how you would react yourself until in the position, I sincerely hope I would act with respect and dignity but I guess you never can know. I was responding to gma's intense upset to what they have had to endure, and from what I have been witness to on SM, with this case and previous ones, and the vitriol some people spew. I do not understand why some people resort to it, nor do I like it, not one bit.

This case was from a couple years ago. Not that it makes it any less heartbreaking, and I'm not sure what ever came of it, but it's from 2011.

I guess it happens more than I realize and many of their stories don't get media attention.

In a way I wish Willow was getting more media attention but that is a double edged sword for the family and media hounds.

What is wrong with society?
These poor children's lives being cut off.
Disgusting.
moo

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I think that would be the stick pile. Why else would it be the background of the interview?

All IMO

Same thoughts I am having. Maybe we will know more after Wednesday's court appearance?

Watching the video of the beautiful vigil for Willow shows just how much the community does care. But oh my, seeing the children's faces as they have to deal with this is like watching a bit of innocence die right before your eyes. Each one of those children at the vigil has been traumatized by what happened. We need to stop this from happening over and over, please, we need to find a way.

Hundreds, including father, gather to honor Willow Long at candlelight vigil
http://www.ksdk.com/rss/article/397435/3/Willow-Longs-father-remembers-daughter-at-vigil

"This is all for her, there is nothing else, but Willow, and I ask that every single one of you never ever forget my daughter," Willow's father told mourners."

I think that would be the stick pile. Why else would it be the background of the interview?

I respectfully disagree. I personally, highly doubt it is based purely on my opinion that the reporter has more tact than that, and grandma probably wouldn't want it in the background, either, if it were that same brush pile. Also, maybe I've just watched too much CSI, but if the brush pile were actually involved, wouldn't they take it, or a lot of it, to get evidence from it in an actual lab, rather than just collecting whatever evidence they could visibly see on it at the crime scene?

All IMO.

While I agree with most of what you say, the bbm part we will have to agree to disagree. Nothing makes it understandable, especially in situations like this imo.

Maybe you just didn't understand it. Many people are angry, upset, fearful, confused, saddened, stressed and traumatized, and they are acting irrationally and are having trouble channeling their emotions and expressing themselves in healthy ways. I think it's certainly understandable that people are having trouble dealing with this little girl's murder and are doing and saying things that they wouldn't do or say under normal conditions. Given what we know about PTSD and clinical depression, I believe that these kinds of cases have far more victims than we'll ever know.

A thought just occurred to me. The purple shirt that Willow was reportedly wearing was found inside the home. I imagine mom put children to bed and then went out for the evening. Once the purple shirt was found, I assumed that Willow got dressed before her 'adventure'. But now that we know she was killed on Saturday night none of this is making sense. Unless, she was naked when she ran. Then JD would have to run after her because a naked child would bring a lot of attention to anyone who found her. Maybe that's why he was so angry with her, because she ran out naked and he had to get dressed and give chase. So I wonder when her body was found, what if any clothing was on her. If it truly was an accident she would be clothed, but how would he explain that she was wearing jeans and top if mom had her in pjs? Did he dress her after she died? Just random thoughts here.

Maybe you just didn't understand it. Many people are angry, upset, fearful, confused, saddened, stressed and traumatized, and they are acting irrationally and are having trouble channeling their emotions and expressing themselves in healthy ways. I think it's certainly understandable that people are having trouble dealing with this little girl's murder and are doing and saying things that they wouldn't do or say under normal conditions. Given what we know about PTSD and clinical depression, I believe that these kinds of cases have far more victims than we'll ever know.

I have seen people clear across the country act horrible towards victims on SM and I've seen them do it case after case. There is no excuse for this behavior under any circumstance. Their anger should be directed at the perp and not grieving family. The community should be supportive of their circumstances. This family will never be the same. I can't imagine loosing one of my babies.....and then on top of it have to deal with others for something that was out of my control....no excuse!

I hope the grandmothers interview will touch those that are acting inappropriately. I am thankful that she spoke out.

Reporting seems to have a lot to do with how people handle the news. The idea that we have to BLAME in the face of a sorrowful event is getting instilled in this society. Watch HLN and you can see for yourself how some cases get reported in a way that promotes hatred instead of compassion. NG spent a whole hour promoting outrage over the mother that burned her child in a the backyard. I'd rather hear about something I can do something about, like look for a missing child, than spend an hour hating.

:cow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member