Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Court is in recess now for about five minutes in the sentencing phase of the Brendt Christensen trial. I’ll tweet what I can. So far we’ve heard from his ex-wife, Michelle Zortman. @WCIA3

Zortman detailed how she met Brendt Christensen (BC), saying that they grew up attending school in the Stevens Point School Dostrict. The two didn’t meet until they worked at K-Mart together and BC later came in as a customer and they started talking. @

Zortman is asked about how the two broke up for a short time and got back together. BC keeps his eyes fixed on Zortman for much of the time she’s on the stand. @W

Defense attorney Elisabeth Polluck: “Did you love him (BC)?” Zortman: “Yes.” Polluck: “Did he love you?” Zortman: “Yes.” Polluck: “If you had a problem with your family, would he be there for you?” Zortman: “Yes.”

Court is almost back in session. I’ll head back in now

all above Courtney for aaron Eades

Ben

Christensen's ex-wife, Michelle Zortman, testified again for less than an hour. She lives with her mom and flew in to testify under subpoena (1/

Said they got married in 2011 at a Best Western bc she didn't want an expensive, fancy wedding. (2/1

He proposed to her at the Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin dells. (3

Said she regretted the joke she made on a jail call during the trial making fun of his ex girlfriend that wore a wire and testified (4/10)

Said she was emotional that day and "let that get the better of me." (5/1

On cross, she said she recalled saying in June 2017 that Christensen was selfish, emotionally closed off and a good liar. (6

Prosecution asked if Christensen also asked her to wear a red sweater when testifying. She said she couldn't recall. (7/1

On redirect, Pollock asked her if she "picked out her own clothes like a big girl," and she said yes (8/

Now hearing from UI counselors who saw or assessed Christensen in March 2017, when he went there for suicidal and homicidal thoughts (9/

efense trying to show he sought help, but internal policies weren't followed and that he didn't receive adequate care. (10/1

Set me thinking, have FBI got on tape a phone call from BC to MZ asking her to wear the red top to court on her first appearance?
was wondering about that.. think she wore red today too from court sketch.

Now I have heard said in woowoo circles that wearing red gives one confidence and power... But I think it highly unlikely BC moved in woowoo circles.. but it may form part o many martial arts training theories too... why was she under subpnoea?

@willpublicmedia it appears more & more a question as to why the defense in the Christensen trial withdrew the mental health defense months ago. Why not claim it in some limited scope for his documented medical record in this death penalty stage? #Christensentrial #YingyingZhang
(Tanya)

-Because they knew Park Dietz was going to come in and make mincemeat of their diagnosis............

They knew his CV and background would impress the jury, and when the prosecution had him up on the stand, they would have him testify about all the serial killers he had examined, and how he knows who is really sick and who isn't.......

Courtney
Polluck: “How long did you live together before you got married?” Zortman: “Two years.” Zortman says they planned their wedding in two months; she wanted the ceremony to be simple; she and BC each invited two friends and immediate family. @WCIA3

BC was 22 and Zortman was 23 when they got married. Zortman said she didn’t care that people made comments about how young they were at the time.

olluck (about the time period with BC and Zortman were married): Did you have any close girlfriends that you confided in and went out with? Zortman: No. Polluck: Did Brendt? Zortman: No. @WCI

Polluck: “I played a clip of you saying derogatory things about Terra Bullis. Before that video, what had you been doing?” Zortman: “Crying.” @WCIA3
For reference, @WCIA3’s article on this topic said Michelle Zortman said this about Bullis, “I hope she *advertiser censored**ing passes out up there and has to be carried out of the courtroom on a stretcher unconscious.”

Polluck: Were you “emotionally out of sort” when you said those things (about Bullis)? Zortman: Yes. Polluck: How do you feel about the statements you made? Zortman: I regret them. @WCIA3

(why the hell are his defense going to so much trouble to clear Michelle here???)

Polluck: “You understand that what BC did was not Terra Bullis’ fault, right?” Zortman: “Yes.” Later.... Polluck: “Do you understand that what BC did was no one’s fault but Brendt’s?” Zortman: “Yes.” @W

Prosecution cross-exams Zortman: “You believed BC was selfish?” Zortman: “Yes.” Later— Pros: “Do you recall BC telling you to wear a certain outfit when you testified?” Zortman: “I don’t know.”

Pros. asks several other questions about BC telling Zortman what to wear, judge asks why, prosecution says it’s to establish that BC was “controlling.” —begin re-direct— Polluck: “When you packed for this trip, did you pick out your own clothes like a big girl?” Zortman: “Yes

(wow, this, eh, he is still controlling Michelle!)

Second witness—Felicia Li, a clinical counselor and triage case manager at UI. Li says someone else at the counseling center discussed BC’s suicide risk with Li. @WCIA3

Defense: “Were you aware that BC said, if he killed himself, he ‘wouldn’t do it in a way that someone could rescue him’ and that he would ‘do it in a way that he wasn’t found?’” Li: No. @

Defense asks if Li was told that BC had a plan to commit homicide, that he had a “type” of victim, that he bought things to help him execute the plan. Li says she, “wasn’t told any of this.” @
(guess Li never watched the counselling tape)

rosecution begins cross-examination— Prosecution: “Karen (who had directly met with BC at the UI counseling center) had said in her report that BC had indicated he was done with all those thoughts (suicidal and homicidal ideation)?” Li: “I don’t know.”

Prosecution: “If a client indicated they were ‘done,’ would it impact treatment?” Li: “It could.”

Ben

elicia Li, with the UI Counseling Center, said she consulted with the intern who interviewed Christensen Match 21, 2017. (

Said they discussed voluntary hospitalization, but Christensen wasn't willing to do that (2/10)

Said there was no clear intent and plan for suicide. she called him the next day to make sure he was OK. "I called bc I was concerned about his safety," she said, after he didn't call them. (3/1

Said she wasn't aware at that point about Christensen's specific plans for suicide, his thoughts and plans of harming others or his fascination with serial killers (4/10)

They believed that he would return for his next appointment, which he did nine days later. (5/10

ennifer Maupin, a former clinical counselor, then testified. She focused on Christensen's alcohol issues. She said a group of four clinicians/students reviewed his case before he returned. (6/

Maupin met with him and then he met with another counselor, and he was referred to Rosecrance, which he apparently never went to. She said the UI counseling center is meant to be for short term care. (7/1

Defense trying to show that UI Counseling Center didn't follow its own policies. At one point, they were going over the student code with Li, who said, "this is actually the first time I've seen the student code." (8/1

Now on break for lunch. Two more witnesses expected today. Another UI counselor and an expert to testify about what she thinks UI counselors should've done with Christensen. (9/1
(this is BS, they're dragging in the civil case)

This is all sensitive testimony because the counselors are being sued by Ms. Zhang's family for negligent and wrongful death. (10/1

courtney
3rd witness—Jennifer Maupin, who is now self-employed, but worked at the counseling center from 2010-2017. Defense begins reading portions of an assessment done on BC for intake at the counseling center.

The intake assessment shows BC ranking high on the scales for depression, academic distress, eating concerns, substance abuse, and general distress. However, he ranked relatively low on the hostility scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm