Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throughout the trial, FBI agents and UI police detectives described the extensive search for Ms. Zhang after she went missing.

They testified about working 20-hour days in the weeks after she was kidnapped, searching garbage bags at Centennial Park, the Murdock Mine 30 miles south of Champaign and an isolated area near Olympian Drive and Interstate 57.

And the search continued, with an FBI agent describing a search of Clinton Lake in November 2017 and another of Allerton Park in 2018.

Throughout the trial, FBI agents and UI police detectives described the extensive search for Ms. Zhang after she went missing.

They testified about working 20-hour days in the weeks after she was kidnapped, searching garbage bags at Centennial Park, the Murdock Mine 30 miles south of Champaign and an isolated area near Olympian Drive and Interstate 57.

And the search continued, with an FBI agent describing a search of Clinton Lake in November 2017 and another of Allerton Park in 2018.
In other words, they did almost nothing after the first 3 weeks.
They got Tb's tape and it was over then.
Bloody disgrace.

Family disagrees with sentence; still without peace

by: Courtney Bunting

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 / 04:43 PM CDT / Updated: Jul 18, 2019 / 04:52 PM CDT
zhang-mother-1.jpg

PEORIA COUNTY, Ill. (WCIA) — It’s the culmination of two years of waiting for both the Zhang and Christensen families. The defendant’s parents won’t be losing their son, but the Zhangs will never again have their daughter.

As the jury’s decision, or lack of a decision, was announced, Christensen’s mother had tears in her eyes. It was hard to see much emotion on Christensen’s face, but he hugged members of his defense team.

Zhang’s family was even more difficult to read. They barely moved when the sentence was read.

Family attorney and liaison Steve Beckett said, “The family is devastated, especially the mother, Lifeng Ye, and this is the second worst feeling for the family since they found out that their daughter had been kidnapped and killed.”

Christensen’s family and his defense team, on the other hand, have a victory. They said Wednesday, Christensen isn’t the “worst of the worst,” and he’s “more than just the horrible thing he did.”

The Zhangs never asked the jury to choose one way or the other, but wanted jurors to be able to at least consider the death penalty. Thursday, they pleaded with Christensen to end their torment, appealing to his humanity, to tell them where their daughter’s remains are.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I know the thing off by heart. It has been burnt into my brain like an evil lie.
I dont believe a word of it, is all.
20 hr days, yeah, roish.

Brendt Christensen Sentenced to Life in Prison for Yingying Zhang Killing

n addition to the life sentence, Shadid sentenced Christensen to consecutive five-year terms on both counts of making false statements to the FBI. He will also be required to pay a $250,000 fine – the maximum allowable – for each of his three convictions.

Jurors tipped their hand moments before the sentence was finalized Thursday when posing a question to Shadid. Stating “we need help,” the jury asked what would happen if they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict.

Shadid instructed them at that time to continue deliberating, but said if they couldn’t reach a consensus one way or the other, a life sentence would be imposed. Only minutes later, the jury foreman turned it the finished verdict form.

And he blasted Christensen for never once saying “I’m sorry.”

“Your complete and total lack of remorse was not lost on anyone and emphasized one more time today when given the opportunity to speak, and not subject to any cross examination, you could have said whatever you wanted to say for as little or as long as you wished. And yet today, 769 days after took Yingying’s life, you could not muster a simple ‘I’m sorry.’”

And he encouraged him “when you are taken out of here today by the United States Marshal’s, to wait for that lonely, isolated and cold deathbed that follows your natural life in prison and maybe ... just maybe ... the moment will strike you to pick up paper and pen and write ‘I’m sorry’ to Mr. and Mrs. Zhang.”
Judge to Christensen: 'Your complete and total lack of remorse was not lost on anyone'

My god. The woman looks dead. The visions I have of YY's mom are going to haunt me for years. I can't completely find fault with those 2 jurors. Some people just don't believe in the DP.
Like we have said before...my real focus is the Zhaang family. BC will get his.
Didn't realize till today that Beckett was involved in this. He's got some serious local pull. Think I'll ask him to re-search J&R. Nothin to lose now.
I'd also like to thank so many of you for your constant presence and posts. We all didn't agree all the time, but I felt like we were a pretty good team.
Special kudos to Kitty...DM...Niner..and so many more.

Capital jurors are interviewed and screened so that they can and will impose the DP if the state proves its case.

However, research shows women and African Americans seem to have the harder time voting fir death even if they believe in the DP.

My god. The woman looks dead. The visions I have of YY's mom are going to haunt me for years. I can't completely find fault with those 2 jurors. Some people just don't believe in the DP.
Didn't realize till today that Beckett was involved in this. He's got some serious local pull. Think I'll ask him to re-search J&R. Nothin to lose now.
I'd also like to thank so many of you for your constant presence and posts. We all didn't agree all the time, but I felt like we were a pretty good team.

Thanks to you Trunk for sharing your local knowledge..reading posts and really trying and encouraging searches.
Not everybody did support searching.
That was a huge disappointment to me. it was like swimming against the tide.
I'm old.
I no longer look towards governments or authorities to either save a situation or do the right thing.
In this case, they could have, they did not.
Arrogance informed the investigation just as much as it informed the killer's actions and lack of remorse.
I would love to see the 'investigators' investigated themselves.
I doubt that will ever happen.

Meanwhile, trudge on... round up a few locals and the Europeans will support the good fight...
Theres lots that was never sleuth'd.
There's tons of investigations that were never done, even by amateurs on keyboards.

THIS!!!
2 jurors felt it was relevant that Christensen was taking alcohol and anti-depressants which could result in serious side effects" 5 others said he is not charismatic and is unlikely to recruit others to commit violence on his behalf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay