Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The indictment alleges that Christensen intentionally killed Miss Zhang, 26, of Nanping, China, in “an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner, in that it involved torture or serious physical abuse” and that he did so “after substantial planning and premeditation.”

:(

The indictment alleges that Christensen intentionally killed Miss Zhang, 26, of Nanping, China, in “an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner, in that it involved torture or serious physical abuse” and that he did so “after substantial planning and premeditation.”

BBM

Very chilling, even though we all knew it was possible, or even likely... what I still don't feel completely clear on is whether the killing itself was planned & premeditated or only the kidnapping part? And so frustrating that they still give no indication of how they know this or why the body has not been located...

[EDIT... actually on re-reading it sounds likely to me they are saying the murder itself was planned ]

BBM

Very chilling, even though we all knew it was possible, or even likely... what I still don't feel completely clear on is whether the killing itself was planned & premeditated or only the kidnapping part? And so frustrating that they still give no indication of how they know this or why the body has not been located...

[EDIT... actually on re-reading it sounds likely to me they are saying the murder itself was planned ]

I agree with your ETA. It seems like they’re saying the depraved manner of torture or physical abuse that she endured took prior planning on his part. It’s all so sick.

BBM mine. That's what I was afraid of. Horrifying :(

Thank you all for the updates.

attachment.php

... other than one of the participants.

Does this mean there's more than one? Or just legalese?

Attachments

• yingying.PNG
    yingying.PNG
    60.7 KB · Views: 405
attachment.php

It's a quote of the statute 18 U.S.C.A. § 3591 Sentence of Death. The prosecutors are going for the death penalty and are going point by point to show that Christensen deserves death.

(Glad that all this law school stuff is starting to come in handy!)

BBM mine. That's what I was afraid of. Horrifying :(

Thank you all for the updates.

This is them quoting the statute to justify getting the death penalty for Christensen. It's the exact words from the statute. It does, however, say that they know of the manner she died. They probably wouldn't be saying this if she accidentally tripped and fell and died in the house while kidnapped. It sounds like they know he tortured her to death.

attachment.php

In terms of more than one... since it's the statute, it allows for the possibility of more than one perpetrator, but it didn't mean more than one in this specific case.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Local newspaper article on the superseding indictment: http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...n-charged-with-kidnapping-resulting-scholars-

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From your link:

A grand jury in Springfield on Tuesday returned a “superseding indictment” against Brendt A. Christensen, 28, accusing him of the kidnapping resulting in death of visiting Chinese scholar Yingying Zhang on June 9, 2017. The indictment also accuses Christensen of lying to federal agents.

If convicted of kidnapping resulting in death, Christensen faces the death penalty or mandatory life in prison. The decision on whether the death penalty will be sought is in the hands of U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

The indictment alleges that Christensen intentionally killed Ms. Zhang, 26, of Nanping, China, in “an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner, in that it involved torture or serious physical abuse” and that he did so “after substantial planning and premeditation.”

Authorities have not specified how she was killed.

"Urbana attorney Steve Beckett, who represents the family, said he had not spoken to them Tuesday but said the superseding indictment “is not unexpected.""

"Asked if the government has shared information with the family on the manner of Ms. Zhang’s death, Beckett said he was unable to comment on what the evidence might be."

This reads to me like the Zhangs have been given at least some info (hopefully).

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...n-charged-with-kidnapping-resulting-scholars-

I'm very glad to see this. Now if YYZ can be found . . . hope springs eternally.

I simply cannot imagine the pain and horror Yingying's family must feel. What a horrific tragedy, which puts an ugly mark on America. I'm so sorry for them, and Yingying. One evil person has tainted and entire country. I'm heartbroken. :(

Just a couple of thoughts (that I imagine many have had):

1) the emphasis in the indictment on the cell phone, as one of the instruments of the crime, I think reinforces the speculation here that BC may have photographed/filmed much of his crime and that’s how LE felt so confident in saying early on that YZ was deceased, and probably why they also never encouraged any public searches. Sickening to think about…

2) The emphasis on planning, premeditation, and torture (as opposed to a simple kidnapping gone bad, ending in murder), again raises the question (I think) could this really be BC’s FIRST attempt at such a crime — he has no known criminal record, yet it’s hard to imagine someone just jumping full-blown into such a grisly scenario, except as an escalation from some previous behavior? (jmo)
So many things this new indictment hints at, but still doesn't answer... :(

I've read all the links to articles you all posted - :tyou:

So, didn't see the next court hearing - I guess it would be February 12 - Final pretrial hearing, and trial set to start February 27th. Shouldn't there be hearing in between now and February 12th??

TIA! :wave:

[FONT=&amp]Now being reported that BC will appear in “federal court Oct. 11 for an arraignment on the superseding [murder] indictment”
(though I s’pose we may not learn any new info then?)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]on side note: new indictment again states the police belief that BC took YZ back to his apt. upon kidnapping her… still hard to imagine how he got her in-and-out unnoticed (though certainly possible); and no strong indication from LE if that is where the torture and murder took place, or was it elsewhere???

[/FONT]

Any news link related to this report?
[FONT=&amp]Now being reported that BC will appear in “federal court Oct. 11 for an arraignment on the superseding [murder] indictment”
(though I s’pose we may not learn any new info then?)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]on side note: new indictment again states the police belief that BC took YZ back to his apt. upon kidnapping her… still hard to imagine how he got her in-and-out unnoticed (though certainly possible); and no strong indication from LE if that is where the torture and murder took place, or was it elsewhere???

[/FONT]

I agree with above posters that there is video evidence. This is how they are so confident 1) she is dead 2) she was tortured to death and 3) a search party won't be of use.

It's unclear to me whether murder was the intent, or just his torture was so severe that death was a likely outcome and he didn't care. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14