IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A link to foods considered safe to feed, who manufactures for them, and where the ingredients are from. Some on list use Menu Foods for manufacturing, but their foods not on the recall list. I still wouldn't trust that.
http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210

So, what's everyone feeding their pets - am I just to make sure the ingredient wheat glutin isn't in what I buy????

Nutro Ultra Dry food for dogs seems to be okay. I called Nutro and they reassured me, and I checked the ingredients list on the back of the bag today- it has Corn Gluten, not wheat.

I'm almost done with a bag of Science Diet dry and need to buy more dog food. Still at a loss here, as I really don't want to change their diet, but I will if I have to. I guess a call to my vet is in order today.

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful links!

Geez, that's a huge list of recalls - and not just PET food, but also food for human consumption.

If you are trying to diet, read the list - may ruin your appetite for the rest of the day -

Just checked all my animal foods - they all contain corn glutein, not wheat, which is the common thread in this pet food recall case. So, bottom line, check labels on cat/dog food and AVOID ALL foods where it lists wheat glutein as an ingredient.

A link to foods considered safe to feed, who manufactures for them, and where the ingredients are from. Some on list use Menu Foods for manufacturing, but their foods not on the recall list. I still wouldn't trust that.

That is a great site, SadieMae!! I was checking the Pedigree site, and noticed that the food I feed my lab contains wheat gluten. I checked your site, and it assured me that the company that manufactures Pedigree gets their wheat gluten from a different supplier. What a relief!

Good link, but..... question......... that link says Blue Buffalo is safe - I read that it wasn't. Also, don't see anything on the list about Hills/Science Diet, or am I just missing it?

Our dog has always eaten Purina Beneful dry food.....he ate the Beneful puppy food when he was a baby and just started the adult food in Feb. when he turned one. I thank the Lord it seems to be safe.

I brought the pouches of Mighty dog and others because it was easy to travel with......easy to use.......Both dogs got quite sick.
Changed to Petigree foods...Watching out.....about ALL foods right now.
But.....now the wonderful treats.........Dingo Chicken sticks ........got recalled for
Salmanella. Great Day. It can transfer to human if handled....to the blanket I had it laying on.....Now I am washing everything I traveled with like a freeker.
From one bad wheat problem......Or was it Plastic? and/or wheat.....
To the transferable Salmanella.......Good Golly!!!!!

Someone please explain the melamine thing to me. My doggy just finished a container of those Ol'Roy Beef Jerky Sticks with the recall code on them. It said it was a voluntary recall, but still. He seems fine, but what is the issue with this, are dogs getting sick from this or is this precautionary? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

My doggie is still not declared on any website or list to "count" in the numbers of the dead. Where do you report your pet death so those idiots can raise the number from 16 to 17. :banghead:

My doggie is still not declared on any website or list to "count" in the numbers of the dead. Where do you report your pet death so those idiots can raise the number from 16 to 17. :banghead:

I am so sorry you lost your dog, I haven't been following this thread too much. How are you doing?

My cats get Purina Cat Chow which hasn't been recalled. Unless Hay has been recalled, my bunny is fine.

To everyone who is trying to find a good replacement dog food - please check out www.canidae.com. They also make cat food, under the name Felidea. They do not use corn, wheat or soy fillers & their ingredients are all of US origin. I have been feeding my dogs Canidae for over 4 years & they have THRIVED on it. It is a top quality food, & it does not cost more than the other brands that are all over the recall list.

I currently don't own a pet, but if I owned a dog I would be super-paranoid about all of this and cook up some lean ground meat and rice for my doggy until things got settled.

Good link, but..... question......... that link says Blue Buffalo is safe - I read that it wasn't. Also, don't see anything on the list about Hills/Science Diet, or am I just missing it?
Poco, this list is from contact made with these companies to verify if they had any dealings with Menu Foods. It's not complete for all manufacturers.
I don't know where you read about Blue Buffalo. But I believe the canned may be produced by Menu, not the dry.

I am so upset I don't even know where to begin. I can't believe the irresponsibility of these companies and their quality control and passing the blame. It takes several animals deaths, there's much, much more than 16 or 17, it's more in the hundreds, before they issue a warning,..............and then only for a small # of brands. You look up the names and 'phew!' you're safe, it's not what you give your pet.

Windy, a stray without any tags (about 2 yo), wandered into our life 12 years ago. She was 1/2 Lab/1/2 Chow. She was absolutely the best dog you could ever have. She had been mistreated apparently, because she coward whenever you even raised your voice. But she got over it when she realized we weren't going to treat her that way.

From the first night we had her, as soon as my husband would go to bed, he was the last one, she would lay by the side of his bed and not move until another family member got up in the morning.Then she'd be all smiles. Everyone who ever encountered her adored her. Even when she lost her eyesite due to glucoma (sp?) and eventually her hearing, she was as sweet as could be.

A few weeks ago she started showing intense thirst. Then she started having accidents. Then she stopped eating. We tried dry food and when she ate it up, she wasn't able to hold it down.

She got weaker and weaker and incognant and because of her age and talking to my daughter who was here (she works for an animal shelter), we realized it was time to put her down. It has broken our hearts.

Windy went peacefully on March 30th. That's the same day they added her food, Alpo chunks with gravey to the list.

Why are we letting a 3rd World country process our food? They don't have the standards we do. I don't care that it was for the pet food. These dogs and cats are part of our family!

We knew Windy was getting older, but she may have lived another two or three years. But because of corporate greed and stupidity, her life was cut short and we're left without our precious dog.

I am sad, heartbroken, and really, really, angry.

fran

Here's what brands I have found to be the best during this nightmare:

Dick Van Patten's pet food company, Natural Balance. Josie is eating the dry mixed with the canned.

www.naturalbalanceinc.com

Merrick...my dog loves the canned.

www.merrickpetcare.com

Wellness pet foods from Old Mother Hubbard (the biscuit maker). My cats are eating this, along with Merrick and Natural Balance.

www.oldmotherhubbard.com

In addition to those canned brands, I have tried Prairie, which is very good and Innova, which is also great.

Here's a link to great doggie and kitty recipes.

http://www.thepoop.com/pooppantry/default.asp

And finally, I cook for Josie. I talked to my vet and got the scoop. I know I've mentioned this before, but this is what they have told me. Dogs need more fat than we do, so it's best to use chicken thighs over chicken breasts. I buy the bulk pack of boneless, skinless thighs from Costco and boil them. At the same time I boil some rice (whichever kind you prefer) I also cook carrots, peas and celery. Once the chicken is done, I shred it and put it in the mixer. I add to it the cooked rice and the cooked veggies (it's best to use fresh veggies because canned veggies have a lot of excess sodium). I then use some of the chicken stock to cook up a bit of oatmeal. Once the oatmeal is done, I add that to the mixer, mix it up until it's a loaf-like consistancy. It lasts for about three days in the fridge. The rest I freeze. The vet recommended that the cats eat more raw meats, like chicken livers and hearts (blech)!

Sorry for the long post.

A Nice Thought to Remember:

DOG is GOD spelled backwards... :angel:

Poco, this list is from contact made with these companies to verify if they had any dealings with Menu Foods. It's not complete for all manufacturers.
I don't know where you read about Blue Buffalo. But I believe the canned may be produced by Menu, not the dry.

I read it somewhere on this thread........

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/03/news/companies/petfood/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The Chinese company accused by a U.S. government agency of supplying hazardous materials found in recalled pet food shot back Tuesday, calling claims by U.S. officials "rumors" and reporting that samples of the substance had been sent to labs for testing.
The company said in a statement it "is astonished by recent rumors from the U.S. that melamine and aminopterin were found in Chinese-produced wheat gluten and traced to our company."

Yeah, right!

I am so sorry you lost your dog, I haven't been following this thread too much. How are you doing?

My cats get Purina Cat Chow which hasn't been recalled. Unless Hay has been recalled, my bunny is fine.

I'm okay, thanks. I have a kid - so it tends to put the dog loss into perspective for me. I remember the intensity of my pets pre-kid and the hardest hit are the folks whose dogs are their lives.

I was so concerned about my dogs that it was several days before I realized that my ferret eats kitten food and thankfully it was a safe brand! My Oscar (a large fish) eats dry pellet dog food, too - so who knows how many other people's pets are affected besides dogs and cats! You mentioning the bunny made me think of that. (Also, my horse gets into the dog food whenever he feels like it...)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pastureraisedoffroadpoke
Back