IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is just scary.

I feed my cats a mixture of Hills T/D with their Nutro dry. I don't see anything about the T/D, nor the dry Nutro.

We also feed our cats pouch Nutro (which I pitched), and cans of Nutro, which I kept since they weren't on the recall list.

I'm afraid to feed them for fear I'm giving them something that's going to end up on the recall list. Last week, I stopped giving them wet food (we only give them this once a day), and just gave them dry. Now I read about the dry recall. :(

Humpf, this is really pizzing me off. I feed my cat Hill's TD and the dogs Science Diet dry mixed with some kind of wet - Little Cesars or something.

I realize out of all the animals being fed one of the recalled products, only a few have actually died, but I'm getting scared to buy anything....

And my vet has always told me - never never feed your dog people food - what's a person to do?

I just called our vet and as long as it's not the hills prescription diet m/d dry food your kitty cats will be ok sweetie.

Your vet is really sticking his neck out by saying that - with all this recall going on - who knows????????????????

This morning I went to Wal-Mart to buy dog her favorite treats from Ol' Roy, a beef jerky type of treat, and they wouldn't sell it to me, saying it was just placed on their recall list. It wasn't a food, it was a treat! I know Ol' Roy canned food was recalled, and maybe Wal-Mart is just being overly cautious with all Ol' Roy products as a result, but thought I'd pass that along.

Actually I think the actual deaths are going to be in the thousands. It's just too early to have a tally. Cats seem to be the hardest hit. I can't understand why the various pet food manufacturers can't run QC tests on each batch, to make sure that there is nothing foreign in there. What if this was people food? Can you just imagine the panic if people were dropping dead from say drinking milk?

Makes me very concerned about the safety of the food we all eat.

This morning I went to Wal-Mart to buy dog her favorite treats from Ol' Roy, a beef jerky type of treat, and they wouldn't sell it to me, saying it was just placed on their recall list. It wasn't a food, it was a treat! I know Ol' Roy canned food was recalled, and maybe Wal-Mart is just being overly cautious with all Ol' Roy products as a result, but thought I'd pass that along.
OMG! I have the big 26oz container I bought 4 days ago. Not opened yet, date use by Jul 08 08. Cripes, seems I'll just stop buying anything off the shelf! Thanks for posting that DK!!!

4/1/2007~ More Recalls:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,262690,00.html

WASHINGTON — The recall of wet and dry pet foods contaminated with a chemical found in plastics and pesticides expanded Saturday to include a new brand even as investigators were puzzled why the substance would kill dogs and cats.
Nestle Purina PetCare Co. said it was recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. Purina said a limited amount of the food contained a contaminated wheat gluten from China.
Click Here For a List of Pet Food Brand Names Subject to Recall.
Also Saturday, Del Monte Pet Products voluntarily recalled select pet treats sold under the Jerky Treats, Gravy Train Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels, as well as other dog snacks and wet dog foods sold under other private label brands.

I was at walmart on Friday and it looked like all of the canned and wet foods had been removed from the shelves.

Humpf, this is really pizzing me off. I feed my cat Hill's TD and the dogs Science Diet dry mixed with some kind of wet - Little Cesars or something.

I realize out of all the animals being fed one of the recalled products, only a few have actually died, but I'm getting scared to buy anything....

And my vet has always told me - never never feed your dog people food - what's a person to do?

I'm surprised your Vet told you that, Poco. The first time I took my Beagle and asked about foods to feed, she told me just not to give her anything I wouldn't eat myself. She said it is very important for them to have plenty of veggies, too. She suggested giving her things such as apples for a treat. I tried that, but she wouldn't even try it.

Today, I just finished cooking up a big pot of fresh chicken with rice, carrots, celery, and a few mixed veggies. When it cools enough, I will place into plastic bags and freeze. I've been tasting it as I went along and could certainly eat a bowl. :)

I know plenty of vets say no people food for dogs ..
I have always ignored that.

My one dog loves lettuce, apples, strawberries and broccoli.
You would think he was begging for steak with the way he acts when he sees these foods.

Rice is a main ingrediant in many dog foods anyways!
I think the notion to not feed them table scraps is based on some theory that they will then be to full to eat "dog food" and miss out on important vitimins.
I know my dogs will happily eat table food and their dog food. (and the cats food... and the guinea pigs food LOLOL )

Vets tell people not to feed their pets people food because usually it's fed in addition to their regular pet food - which results in an overweight pet. If a pet is fed a diet consisting of ONLY people food, they may not get the proper nutrition. For example, cats must have taurine in their food.

Many people have taken to feeding their pets a raw diet - check out this link:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/sampleraw.htm

I was at walmart on Friday and it looked like all of the canned and wet foods had been removed from the shelves.

We went Saturday to Orscheln, a farm and ranch supply store and I replenished my dog and cat food. The Hills Science diet rep was there finishing up removing any suspect dog and cat food. He had removed all the canned goods and a number of bags of dry food. Only vets can sell the Prescriptive brand, so there were never there in the first place. We bought a bag of small bites regular Science Diet dog food and a bag of Science Diet original cat food. He assured us that these were not involved and would be ok. Since my dogs and cats have been eating these all along and are fine and healthy now, we saw no problem in getting them. He hauled out a truckload of food. They were going around to each store that carried the food to personally see that they were no longer on shelves. He said he had already called on our local vet and the store in Burlington that carried Hill's Science Diet and removed any they suspected could be tainted.

At least one company is being pro-active.

YIKES! CNN just announced a recall on POUNCE cat treats! I just threw ours out!

YIKES! CNN just announced a recall on POUNCE cat treats! I just threw ours out!

Okay, that's it. No more commercial pet food for my babies until this is all resolved. I'm going to run out and buy some chicken breasts to throw in the crock-pot.

As soon as I get Remington out of it.

Remmypot.jpg

A question please - my 9yo son is getting a kitten this week. What sort of kitten food is okay to feed it? Is there a list somewhere? Thanks very much! And my son would appreciate any tips for caring for a new kitten, if you have any you'd like to share. (I'm wondering myself how a kitten can get into those big kitty litter boxes!)

A question please - my 9yo son is getting a kitten this week. What sort of kitten food is okay to feed it? Is there a list somewhere? Thanks very much! And my son would appreciate any tips for caring for a new kitten, if you have any you'd like to share. (I'm wondering myself how a kitten can get into those big kitty litter boxes!)
I don't know anything about kitties..but many here do. Here is the Pet Corner:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Congrats on your new baby.

Vets tell people not to feed their pets people food because usually it's fed in addition to their regular pet food - which results in an overweight pet. If a pet is fed a diet consisting of ONLY people food, they may not get the proper nutrition. For example, cats must have taurine in their food.

Many people have taken to feeding their pets a raw diet - check out this link:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/sampleraw.htm

Thanks for the link -

Wonder if my hubby will BITC* when I fix dinner for the dogs and not for him??????

I'm surprised your Vet told you that, Poco. The first time I took my Beagle and asked about foods to feed, she told me just not to give her anything I wouldn't eat myself. She said it is very important for them to have plenty of veggies, too. She suggested giving her things such as apples for a treat. I tried that, but she wouldn't even try it.

Today, I just finished cooking up a big pot of fresh chicken with rice, carrots, celery, and a few mixed veggies. When it cools enough, I will place into plastic bags and freeze. I've been tasting it as I went along and could certainly eat a bowl. :)

I have had two or three different vets tell me this - especially with smaller dogs (which I have) because of the incidence of pancreatitis. My friend has a yorkiepoo who gets deathly sick from people food (hospitalized, IV's and the whole 9 yards). My baby had it one time when she was young and I am terrified to feed her anything I eat except for maybe chicken, a piece of cheese once in a while, etc.

I have had my "CAT" vet tell me to never feed my dogs tablescraps, so I'm scared now.

http://www.purinaone.com/dogcare_cond_atoz_article.asp?Seed=757&ArticleNumber=30058

Pancreatitis is a a sudden acute onset of inflammation of the pancreas. This disease is most commonly seen in toy to small breed dogs, but is not uncommonly reported in larger dogs and in cats. The cause of pancreatitis is not truly known; however, there may be several contributory factors. It is often associated with ingestion of a rich, fatty meal.

In fact, our vet up the street puts up a billboard-like sign at Xmas and Thanksgiving that says DON'T FEED YOUR PETS YOUR LEFTOVERS!!!!!

So, I'm confused.........

Okay, that's it. No more commercial pet food for my babies until this is all resolved. I'm going to run out and buy some chicken breasts to throw in the crock-pot.

As soon as I get Remington out of it.

Remmypot.jpg

Mabel, that is just such a cute picture of Remington!!!!!!

I'm at a loss what to feed my cats. I've printed out the list of recalled foods, and I'm going to head to our local cat/dog speciality shop. I'll see what they have to say. I wonder if looking for cat food that doesn't contain wheat gluten is the answer? I don't know what to do...maybe I should do what you are doing and bake chicken for them.

Here I thought I was giving them the best...no by-products, and all these foods are made at the same place! Maybe there is a difference, but to me, I just can't even begin to trust any of these companies.

I went to our local specialty cat/dog store today, the place was a zoo. It seems everyone is feeling like we are.

I ended up buying Innova. It doesn't contain wheat gluten, nor by-products, so I hope this will work. The gal there told me that she thinks there is going to be a lot more product recall, although she said this was just her opinion, so who knows.

Everyone in the store was there for the same thing...trying to find food for their pet that won't kill them. I feel so sad for those of you who have lost your pets.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23
Back