IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LionRun :blowkiss: I'm sorry to hear about Spirit and your other beloved pet.. Did Spirit die from heart worms maybe? they say that can cause sudden death...

Help! Does anyone know if this recall includes Ol' Roy cuts and gravy canned dog food from Walmart? I thought the Menu list had some dates for 3 cans but the Walmart clerk said it was just pouches on their recall. I've been giving my dog the canned cuts this month and worried. I think I may start making a big batch of the HB meat, brown rice, and vegetables to mix in with dry food from now on. There have been other dog food recalls in the past and probably more will happen.

Help! Does anyone know if this recall includes Ol' Roy cuts and gravy canned dog food from Walmart? I thought the Menu list had some dates for 3 cans but the Walmart clerk said it was just pouches on their recall. I've been giving my dog the canned cuts this month and worried. I think I may start making a big batch of the HB meat, brown rice, and vegetables to mix in with dry food from now on. There have been other dog food recalls in the past and probably more will happen.

I would stay totally away from wet food.
What is ironic is that vets for years have been saying do not feed dogs table food as they encourage us to buy expensive pet food.

Yes, some canned foods are on the recall...here are the Ol'Roy canned foods..(scroll to bottom)

http://www.avma.org/aa/menufoodsrecall/menufoods/Dog/OlRoy_US.htm

LionRun :blowkiss: I'm sorry to hear about Spirit and your other beloved pet.. Did Spirit die from heart worms maybe? they say that can cause sudden death...

Thank you PaperDoll:blowkiss:. Because Spirit died suddenly and there was no cause evident, I had my Vet do a necropsy(autopsy), and all organs including the heart were in good shape. When a dog has later stage heartworm disease, not only do they usually have a chronic cough, lose weight, and lose energy and strength; but, on necropsy the large spaghetti like worms can be seen in and around the heart. We will probably never know exactly what killed her.

My cat Angel, who nearly died following renal disease is doing well, is active, has no symptoms anymore, and she is still gaining weight a little at a time.

The last I heard this evening, staff at Cornell are not so sure that wheat gluten has anything to do with the illnesses and deaths or not. They are testing the suspect foods and are also testing tissue samples from deceased animals. I really hope they find exactly what has caused this as this is very important.

Lion

My vet determined that this is what killed my dog last week. I assumed it was that she was old with heartworms, but he said no, it wasn't that. She died of kidney failure by the food (It was Old Roy brand from Wal Mart.) The thing that kills me is seeing that only a "handful" of pets died, they keep reporting - but just in my town, my mother has a student whose cat is under intense treatment and might die, and a colleuge whose cat died. If my Mom (who doesn't get out much) knows three people affected by this, there is no way that only a handful of pets died. It has to be thousands. :-(
So sorry Glitch. I lost my dog a couple weeks ago too. Maybe our dogs are playing together right now.:)

Ol Roy Recall List:

Jan/01/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Jan/02/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Jan/03/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/05/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/06/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/07/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/25/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/26/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/27/10 Sl Beef 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800297 Ol'Roy US
Feb/25/10 Sl Chicken 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800303 Ol'Roy US
Feb/26/10 Sl Chicken 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800303 Ol'Roy US
Feb/27/10 Sl Chicken 24x5.5oz Can 5.5oz 681131800303 Ol'Roy US

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Dog/Ol'Roy%20US.htm

Glitch I am so sorry for you! That is sad....I can't imagine how bad you feel.

It took me several hours to get the info I needed on the Iams web site. Trust me when I say they got a nasty email once I was able to get on there site, it was to busy for all the people checking on which food was recalled. Then they had 2 whopping phone numbers for people to call in the USA.
Normally you can come to WS for any info.....but with the problems here I was desperate. I feed mine dry Iams.....so I was safe.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to your dog, GlitchWizard. I hope she is running and playing with Jelly's Minnie and my Spirit.

Lion

My vet determined that this is what killed my dog last week. I assumed it was that she was old with heartworms, but he said no, it wasn't that. She died of kidney failure by the food (It was Old Roy brand from Wal Mart.) The thing that kills me is seeing that only a "handful" of pets died, they keep reporting - but just in my town, my mother has a student whose cat is under intense treatment and might die, and a colleuge whose cat died. If my Mom (who doesn't get out much) knows three people affected by this, there is no way that only a handful of pets died. It has to be thousands. :-(

I think I may start making a big batch of the HB meat, brown rice, and vegetables to mix in with dry food from now on. There have been other dog food recalls in the past and probably more will happen.

Vicki: By the way, brown rice gets rancid quickly if left in the cupboard. White rice will keep a long time in a tightly covered container, but I always keep my brown rice in the freezer.

Here's more info on the petfood industry: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood1.html

Thank you PaperDoll:blowkiss:. Because Spirit died suddenly and there was no cause evident, I had my Vet do a necropsy(autopsy), and all organs including the heart were in good shape. When a dog has later stage heartworm disease, not only do they usually have a chronic cough, lose weight, and lose energy and strength; but, on necropsy the large spaghetti like worms can be seen in and around the heart. We will probably never know exactly what killed her.

My cat Angel, who nearly died following renal disease is doing well, is active, has no symptoms anymore, and she is still gaining weight a little at a time.

The last I heard this evening, staff at Cornell are not so sure that wheat gluten has anything to do with the illnesses and deaths or not. They are testing the suspect foods and are also testing tissue samples from deceased animals. I really hope they find exactly what has caused this as this is very important.

Lion

Thanks LR :blowkiss: ... I'm glad Angel is doing much better.. :p

Well, I'm taking one of my kitties to the vet today just to be sure. He was a little weird in the days after I fed him the recalled food. We noticed it before the recall, so I know it wasn't all in my head. He seems fine now, but he's older, almost 15. He's as healthy as can be and the vet is always surprised to see him because he seems half his age. Anyway, his appetite was poor for a few days after feeding him the Nutro and he basically walked away from food. Now, he's back to being the first one at the bowl again. Still, I want to make sure.

I'm even beginning to question myself, about feeding my two cats, their once a week treat of Friskies Tuna with Egg, IN SAUCE, mixed with IAMS dry food.

Paranoia is setting in.

Well, I'm taking one of my kitties to the vet today just to be sure. He was a little weird in the days after I fed him the recalled food. We noticed it before the recall, so I know it wasn't all in my head. He seems fine now, but he's older, almost 15. He's as healthy as can be and the vet is always surprised to see him because he seems half his age. Anyway, his appetite was poor for a few days after feeding him the Nutro and he basically walked away from food. Now, he's back to being the first one at the bowl again. Still, I want to make sure.

My babies seem to be doing better as well... I kept trying to figure out what I was doing to make them not eat as well as get sick.. I was eliminating foods from them but was getting frustrated for nothing was working. Now I know what was causing them to get sick. Their poop was runny and just didn't look right .. Now they seem fine and their poop looks, well, like poop should.. hehe

KrisNine, keep us informed on your kitty. I sure hope he will be fine.. prayers to you.. :blowkiss:

Thanks, Paperdoll :) I'm glad to hear that your little sweeties are doing better. They sure are precious. What a panic, huh?

Like Buzz just said, the paranoia sets in.

I'll keep you guys posted :)

Thank you everyone.

As someone else said it might be- the guilt is outstanding.

As to everyone who was affected, and who will be - I'm keeping your animal kids in my thoughts. I hope they'll all be alright.

I am sad to hear that you feel guilty, GlitchWizard. You didn't have anything to do with the loss of your beloved furkid. Hindsight is 20/20. None of us had any idea that our pet food could kill our pets or make them gravely ill. If the reports are true that Menu Foods knew they had a problem and kept it quiet while more pets died or became ill, then they should feel guilty, not you.

Lion

Thank you everyone.

As someone else said it might be- the guilt is outstanding.

As to everyone who was affected, and who will be - I'm keeping your animal kids in my thoughts. I hope they'll all be alright.

Glitch :blowkiss: you are not at all responsible for what happened ... place that guilt where it belongs and that is the dog food company.... hugs and prayers to you..

I only feed my dogs Science Diet dry food. For the winter they all get Lamb and Rice small bites. I get the small bites to accomodate my two small dogs as well as the larger two. They're happy and they absorb more with less poop to pick up.

My indoor cats also get Science Diet dry food. The litter box tells the difference since they've been getting it. Really easy to clean. Outside cats get a cheaper brand, but only dry.

I am so glad I spend extra money to feed them what the vet said was the best. I'd be heartbroken to lose one of my precious pets.
Barngoddess........Science Diet was on the list!!! Be so careful everyone...
Alot has been kept from us. This actually started in about November. December they were sure of it. We get told just recently!!! I watched the first days how the name brands only went on TV once.........then not again. Menu foods did not put those" main brands" on the list.......then they finally did.
I saw the name Science Diet on TV. My own dogs Mighty Dog food was recalled in the pouches. My older dog has all the signs of this.......but, is coming around on Pedigree foods. Also, they said it wasn't the dry foods, then ............hmmmm.........yes, it "could be"the dry foods. Many, great brands are listed. If you want good information go to the Cornell University site. They are the main vet group who discovered and let this be known.
And........I have seen lists of over 100 dogs that have died. Mind you we just came upon a small dog who was treated in SC. Antibiotics and fluids overnight. I came upon a memo online that was to "shareholders" and "not for Media" that there was a problem with the foods......I wish I 'd of saved it. This is a toxin.........poison.......wash and boil all bowls, and throw out any wood container that held this food. ( per message on line about it)
Check with FDA and also Cornell on line to get the lists.......Major brands...Lams, Eukanuba, Nutra Max, Mighty dog pouches, Ol Roy pouches, and cans.....etc....be careful.....and do your own homework.
Lots of connections between Vets, and the pet food suppliers, shareholders, etc......

This is a nightmare for pet owners.....I wouldnt be feeding my pet anything but home prepared food at the moment.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica1
Back