Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #152 *ARREST - Richard Allen*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to the latest episode of the Down the Hill podcast. I usually don't read or listen to media outside of MSM.

Are there other sources/podcasts that are approved for this case? If so, can someone list them?

The podcast "Scene of the Crime: Delphi" is an approved source, as far as I know. Family of the victims were heavily involved in producing it and it has a lot of first-hand information not found in other sources about the families' thoughts, feelings, and actions on the day they went missing and were found.

FOX59 is reporting that sources close to the investigation have revealed that RA came forward voluntarily to police and admitted to being on the trails that day, early in the investigation.

Edit to add - if I understand his actions correctly, he may have been trying to cover himself in case someone else reported seeing him there that day. Or he may have been trying to find out what LE knew or suspected.

Editing again to add link:
Are you sure that's the correct link? There is nothing there that says RA admitted to being on the trails that day...?

Yeah, it would have served two purposes:

It provided him with a bit of cover in case he was as spotted.

It fulfilled a need to insert himself into the investigation. This isn't uncommon among killers like this, as they both enjoy it, and are curious about what law enforcement may know.
And it would also match with what Carter said in the 2019 press conference when he said he was "talking directly to the killer" in that that person probably lives in Delphi or works there or has recently and "we've probably talked to you before". At that presser, I can't get over how many things Carter said that you can reference directly back to RA and makes me think Carter was subtly telling him directly "I know you did it but I don't have proof yet". A few examples from his message:
  1. "To the killer, who may be in this room. We believe you are hiding in plain sight" - exactly what RA has done for the last five years. I don't think he was there, but certainly believe he was watching it.
  2. "For two years, you never thought we would shift to a different investigative strategy...but we have" - hiding in plain sight and going about daily business like nothing is wrong which again is exactly what RA did.
  3. "We likely have interviewed you - or someone close to you" - RA reportedly inserted himself into the investigation very early; I believe for the exact reasons @MassGuy noted.
  4. "And you want to know what we know. And one day, you will" - very possible if RA inserted himself and asked too many questions, LE could've found it odd. Combined with other info they found in the process, perhaps they were asking themselves "why did this Allen guy want to know [X]?" or "why was he so concerned about [X]?"
  5. "A question to you - what will those closest to you think when they find out you brutally murdered two little girls?" - RA has a wife and daughter that LE would've been well aware of by this time. As far as we know at this time, they are both innocent victims and I'd be shocked if the truth were anything but.
  6. "We are confident you have told someone what you have done" - this could lead into the pedophile ring theories floating around with RA/KK/etc. - it's highly unlikely RA did this and kept quiet to everyone.
This is all moo but I'm finding it easier and easier to make connections to how RA was reportedly behaving from 2019 to 2022 and what Carter said during this press conference.

Indeed. 'Twas a sketch, not a portrait. A remarkable result was achieved.
And as a refresher, the release of the second sketch April, 2019 -

“….The new sketch shared Monday depicts a man who appears much younger than the original sketch. Carter said the old sketch is now being considered secondary.

Master Trooper Taylor Bryant, a sketch artist with Indiana State Police who drew the new sketch, told IndyStar a sketch is based on how a particular witness describes the suspect. If there are several witnesses, Bryant would draw a sketch for each description. Bryant did not draw the sketch that police released in July 2017.

"The witness is the main focus. So there’s no input from law enforcement at all in the generating of a sketch, other than my presence as the artist."

Bryant uses a "facial identification reference sheet" that has a list of different categories, from head shapes to different eyebrows and noses. The person will describe the suspect based on those categories. "(It's) easier to do that than to describe (the suspect) using just words," Bryant said.

The sketches are not exact, Bryant said. The renderings are a "ballpark estimation of what the person looks like."

The sketch released on Monday was drawn by Bryant on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported, according to Bryant…..”

Are you sure that's the correct link? There is nothing there that says RA admitted to being on the trails that day...?

You're right, it actually says: Sources with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told FOX59 Allen actually came forward as a witness in the earlier stages of the investigation.

So I conflated "witness" with being on the trails since that's where the girls were, but it could have been a "witness" to something so-called suspicious in another part of town, etc.

Does anyone have a sourced timeline for afternoon of disappearance? I recall Libby posted BG photo around 2 p.m and the girls were supposed to be picked up by parent at either 3:15 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. (I'd saved the timeline, can't find it now)

Last edited:
I thought this was worth noting for those that like to get dates on their calendars and may have missed this:

He (RA) is next due in court on January 13, 2023 for a pre-trial conference. A jury trial is set to begin on March 20, 2023.

I didn't think so either but am wondering if familial DNA played a role. Maybe someone in his family tree did their ancestry test, but only did so recently? That's not my top hunch, but it's possibility...unless other people here decided that's not possible and there is no further need to speculate.

jmojmojmo
Familial DNA actually is my top hunch. I think he did leave DNA, but with no prior criminal record, he wasn't in any database. When Cousin Tammy (fictitious name; I have no idea who his cousins are) or whoever decided to use an ancestry test, they had their connection.

Maybe this has already been posted, sorry if so. But after watching this, I feel like the police are confident that RA is their guy. The superintendent's confidence in the video seems to imply not only his certainty but also (perhaps) his ease that the case is essentially closed now. I believe the whole "we're keeping the case open" posturing is simply because they do not want to jeopardize a conviction and they also want to protect against the argument of an unfair trial. They may also want the public to come forward with any more info on RA to bolster their case.

So to sum it up, I don't think anyone else is involved nor do I think the police believe that. That's just my interpretation of course.

Are soil samples a possibility of what LE took from the search of his backyard? And, if so, what would several feet deep of a plug of soil sample be able to tell them, I wonder? Temperature of soil? Would that be significant? Other information obtained from samples?

They could use soil samples to identify possible weapons used at the crime scene.
It could also be used to match particular soil to clothing and/or shoes.
Maybe this soil was located on the victim/s along with a shoe print?

JMO:

Waaaaaayyy back when I was a kid, my mom worked in LE. A classmateof mine in Jr High was arrested for rape and attempted murder because he left a bloodied shoe print on her face. I do NOT know this was the case in the Delphi murder, but it wouldn't surprise me if it came up.

MOO

It’s the 4th paragraph in the linked article
Thank you. They must have changed the article because all it says now is, "Sources with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told FOX59 Allen actually came forward as a witness in the earlier stages of the investigation." There is nothing there now that says RA admitted to being on the bridge that day.

Maybe they took it out, I don't know. But that statement is not in that article now. My opinions only.

Thank you. They must have changed the article because all it says now is, "Sources with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told FOX59 Allen actually came forward as a witness in the earlier stages of the investigation." There is nothing there now that says RA admitted to being on the bridge that day.

Maybe they took it out, I don't know. But that statement is not in that article now. My opinions only.
It’s always read that way, how would he be a witness if he wasn’t there?

Familial DNA actually is my top hunch. I think he did leave DNA, but with no prior criminal record, he wasn't in any database. When Cousin Tammy (fictitious name; I have no idea who his cousins are) or whoever decided to use an ancestry test, they had their connection.
The one issue with that is he should have been found a lot sooner (if genetic genealogy was used).

That sort of thing isn't just used for cold cases. If it was something like that, then perhaps they had a limited sample, and were unable to generate a full profile until recently.

Another possibility is that they had DNA from various people, and didn't know which one was that or the killer.

I am leaning towards DNA though, as this came out of nowhere.

And it would also match with what Carter said in the 2019 press conference when he said he was "talking directly to the killer" in that that person probably lives in Delphi or works there or has recently and "we've probably talked to you before". At that presser, I can't get over how many things Carter said that you can reference directly back to RA and makes me think Carter was subtly telling him directly "I know you did it but I don't have proof yet". A few examples from his message:
  1. "To the killer, who may be in this room. We believe you are hiding in plain sight" - exactly what RA has done for the last five years. I don't think he was there, but certainly believe he was watching it.
  2. "For two years, you never thought we would shift to a different investigative strategy...but we have" - hiding in plain sight and going about daily business like nothing is wrong which again is exactly what RA did.
  3. "We likely have interviewed you - or someone close to you" - RA reportedly inserted himself into the investigation very early; I believe for the exact reasons @MassGuy noted.
  4. "And you want to know what we know. And one day, you will" - very possible if RA inserted himself and asked too many questions, LE could've found it odd. Combined with other info they found in the process, perhaps they were asking themselves "why did this Allen guy want to know [X]?" or "why was he so concerned about [X]?"
  5. "A question to you - what will those closest to you think when they find out you brutally murdered two little girls?" - RA has a wife and daughter that LE would've been well aware of by this time. As far as we know at this time, they are both innocent victims and I'd be shocked if the truth were anything but.
  6. "We are confident you have told someone what you have done" - this could lead into the pedophile ring theories floating around with RA/KK/etc. - it's highly unlikely RA did this and kept quiet to everyone.
This is all moo but I'm finding it easier and easier to make connections to how RA was reportedly behaving from 2019 to 2022 and what Carter said during this press conference.

I think profilers and Carter and other LE involved knew (or had a strong suspicion) that the killer was local and that these kinds of statements were specific AND general enough that they could apply to whoever was the killer. Very powerful statements, IMO.

THIS^^^^
Many motivations to explore in this case. I think you have pointed out a major one. So far, I haven't heard any profilers speak about RA.

I would be interested in his childhood, parents, siblings, being married to a professional whose income highly exceeds his own, hobbies, etc., etc.

My intuition says this is an angry antisocial man conforming to society's norms only as a front.

MOO
Totally! We have plenty to discuss, ponder, speculate about. Similar to what Carter said at yesterday's presser, we're really starting over now. Sometimes our ideas might be off base, other times we might hit the mark - and by the time this all wraps up, I think we all will have learned a lot. Right now we have a mystery to try to understand (except for those here who have already figured it out).

jmopinion

Sources with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told FOX59 Allen actually came forward as a witness in the earlier stages of the investigation.

Didn't Carter speak directly to the killer in a previous press conference - "we have likely talked to you before". imo

I have followed this case sporadically & the threads are moving so quickly now.

Was a profiler ever used by LE with a profile description released to the public?

(I realize they could have used one but not released any info. I am curious if there was ever a publicly released profile?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper