Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #153 *ARREST - Richard Allen*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff about his wife is pure speculation.

Basically people are wondering out loud how she could live with RA and NOT know something and others are pointing out that there have been other high profile cases where the families of the perpetrator were completely blindsided by the revelation.
I've followed true crime for decades, and have always read that the pattern between spouses of (suddenly revealed) murderers and the spouses of someone who had an affair, are very similar. Also, very similar to the stages/levels of grief that people experience with the loss of a close loved one, as well as what some call "survivor's guilt".

So basically, shock, anger, sorrow, denial, guilt ("how could I not know?!") but not always in that order, and sometimes all the stages come and go several times. Since most people assume they know their spouse quite well, it's deeply unsettling when they find out he (or she) was living this other, unspeakable life, doing these other, unspeakable things. Their lives, and what they thought was their reality is completely shattered. I've watched interviews with some people in this situation and the things they say (while utterly heartbreaking) always seem to confirm this sort of pattern. To say these folks are victims as well, is really quite accurate.

jmo

Libby's family says that her father encountered and talked to a man as he was searching for the girls (popularly known as "flannel shirt guy"). This is a known person, he's in his 70s if I recall correctly and was often at the bridge trail system due to a certain affiliation. I don't think this person has been confused with RA but JMO.
Thank you. I could t remember the details and conclusion.

I thought they found the phone when it was dark and they were calling off the search. It’s when they found the phone many continued searching.

I could be very wrong but that’s my recollection.
Actually what happened, which we know from the HLN Down the Hill special, is that LE received info from the phone company around 2:30 am that Libby's phone last pinged in the area of the bridge/trails. So at that point they started to doubt the theory that the girls ran off to a friend's house or to see a movie in a nearby town and searchers redoubled their efforts in that area of the trail system.

This is from a transcript of an HLN special where reporter Barbara Macdonald discusses it:

"We know that Libby’s phone is the one that pinged late at night and got law enforcement back out after the official search had been called off where they looked for the phone. I don’t know when exactly the phone was found. We know it was found in the same general area as the girls, but that’s also a pretty big area."

source: HLN 'Down The Hill' Transcript: Who Killed Abby & Libby? - CrimeLights

I'm sorry if I'm way off on my beliefs, I don't use my phone for much other than calls and texts and have never been much of a photographer. I believe that when your phone/camera is in selfie mode, the images are actually reversed; if that's not true you can just skip the rest of this post. I can't believe it's taken me almost 6 years to think of this and that nobody else has mentioned it.

If Libby was didn't want to turn around to see if they were being followed, she may have used selfie mode to look behind them. If she did, would the branches and other background have looked like the clips we've seen of him if they were on the bridge heading north? Please just answer my question without pointing out how ignorant I sound asking it. TIA :p

Do we know the model phone they had?

I wonder if he was seen by someone else that day and wanted to put forward his own story/thought it would look suspicious if he were identified as being in the area without coming forward.
I believe this could have been the reason too. He certainly didn't mind interjecting himself into it when you think about him being so "helpful" with the funeral photos for the family. I bet every year he got more and more emboldened by what he had accomplished. I would love to know when he realized he was on LE's radar. I hope they f'd with him! JMO

“Wife’s and Daughters” comment is intriguing as why wife’s?

My guess is that he’s probably just referring to females in general. You know, “hide your wives and daughters” kind of thing. RA is a sick man preying upon females and LE is telling the neighbor that the females in his life are not safe around this guy.

Actually what happened, which we know from the HLN Down the Hill special, is that LE received info from the phone company around 2:30 am that Libby's phone last pinged in the area of the bridge/trails. So at that point they started to doubt the theory that the girls ran off to a friend's house or to see a movie in a nearby town and searchers redoubled their efforts in that area of the trail system.

This is from a transcript of an HLN special where reporter Barbara Macdonald discusses it:

"We know that Libby’s phone is the one that pinged late at night and got law enforcement back out after the official search had been called off where they looked for the phone. I don’t know when exactly the phone was found. We know it was found in the same general area as the girls, but that’s also a pretty big area."

source: HLN 'Down The Hill' Transcript: Who Killed Abby & Libby? - CrimeLights
Perfect. Thnx

The new episode of Down the Hill goes into an incredible amount of detail on the search of Richard Allen's property on October 13th. I'd recommend a listen, it's episode 11: Arrest: Chapter 11: Arrest - Down The Hill: The Delphi Murders

I know some of this has been posted in the thread already but things are moving so fast I'll recap for people who are catching up:

The producers of Down the Hill (which is affiliated with HLN) talked with several neighbors of RA to develop their timeline and account of the search.

The search started just before noon on Thursday, October 13th. Neighbors saw unmarked police cars arriving and people that they recognized from their personal knowledge as police officers going up to the RA home and became suspicious and watched for the next 12 hours.

RA and his wife were asked to leave the home and were kept out of their home the entire day. RA stood outside for several hours and sat in a vehicle with his wife for several hours and at some point during that day, she left.

Neighbors said that for the first several hours, there wasn't a lot going on, it was just LE standing around. But as it started to get dark they saw Chief Deputy Liggett of the CACO Sheriff arrive, and he's somebody that the neighbors know on sight. Liggett had a piece of paper in his hand and he went up to RA and showed him the paper, and immediately after that a tow truck arrived and loaded RA's car.

Officers who had been accumulating at the house all day then went into the house and backyard. They took pictures inside a shed and took pictures. They used a device around the shed and in flower beds. Neighbors speculated that it could have been a metal detectors. LE dug in two spots near the shed.

Neighbors watched police bring out two large bundles of dark cloth. There was a Macy's shopping bag, a shoebox, and a stack of books that were thin books. The two areas in the backyard that were dug up were small.

Neighbors were curious about what was happening and since one family had children, they reached out to Tony Liggett and expressed their concerns. All that Deputy Liggett would tell them was to stay vigilant, especially with the neighbor's wife and daughters, which the neighbor found unsettling. However, it was not until the 28th when they saw the news updates about the case that they had any idea that this could be related. This neighbor also knows some members of the victims' families and were able to talk to them and make the connection that the family had been alerted to information that seemed to match their observance of the search at RA's house.

Wednesday the 26th was the first day that the neighbors did not see anyone at RA's house. From the time of the search until the 26th they observed RA at his place of employment and in his home, apparently living his life as normal.
Wow.
So it seems like maybe LE originally arrived and asked to search and they refused and needed to get a search warrant?

Update: FOX59 filed a records request to get the probable cause unsealed to learn what led police to arrest Richard Allen. In my 29 years of journalism I can’t remember a case where the PC was sealed. We have access to PCs daily.  we will let you know how Judge Diener rules. 

Me: This may be rare for Indiana, but I've seen it several times in Colorado, to include the last three cases I followed.
It was just a matter of time. I expect there will be a hearing in a month or so, then we'll learn whatever a judge decides. Won't be surprised if the PC remains sealed. moo

From your link:
[Editor’s note: One jail entry claims Allen used the alias Craigh Ross Rentfrow, but it’s unclear why or whether that entry may have been an error.]
I hope it's okay to post this screenshot I took from VINELink - Empowering Victims of Crime

rentfrow.jpg

If you go there and type in RA's name for Indiana, this is what comes up.

- 3 Entries.

- The two that have his offender ID & DOB both the same, as well as the custody location as White County Jail, which is where he actually is.

- The one in the middle... that one is incorrect, has a different offender ID, is the one that has his alias listed (which is actually a real person living in Monticello, with his own life going on), and also has him at the incorrect custody location of Carroll County Jail.

I do believe this is some sort of clerical error.

jmo

Yeah I'm with you on that. It is way too coincidental, and this adds further evidence of a connection.
Disclaimer: This is my first post in ~3.5 years, so I apologize if I'm confusing facts with some rumor I read somewhere. Also, I apologize if I'm restating the obvious after following this case much that recently.

So, it has been confirmed that KAK was indeed communicating with Libby as recently as a day before her murder? I know I heard rumors that KAK confessed to waiting in his car nearby during the time of the murders? Even if only the former has been confirmed - it just seems so unlikely poor Libby encountered 2 degenerates in 24 hours. I am not sure how anyone could therefore conclude RA and KAK weren't connected somehow. My personal theory (which I posted on reddit) was that Abby accidentally overshared with KAK what her Monday plans were, but that she was not actually planning to meetup there and then on that day. I would expect a teen girl to get all dolled up if she was planning a first meet with a "cute" boy, and perhaps that would become something her sister or the police would offer, like - "She was giggly, and seemed dressed up extra nice... for a day of hiking."

I figured perhaps it was a planned abduction / sexual assault that went horribly awry. And, after accosting them and things not going as he envisioned - RA realized he had crossed a serious line and couldn't afford any witnesses. And then staged the scene to disguise the motive. I am guessing based on some of the stuff you mentioned here earlier (river search near KAK, etc.) that the FBI concluded that while KAK was a sick degenerate, he wasn't a killer nor the personality type expected at this type of crime. So, the authorities were willing to offer a sweetheart deal just to get the missing pieces of the puzzle.

I hope it's okay to post this screenshot I took from VINELink - Empowering Victims of Crime

View attachment 377265

If you go there and type in RA's name for Indiana, this is what comes up.

- 3 Entries.

- The two that have his offender ID & DOB both the same, as well as the custody location as White County Jail, which is where he actually is.

- The one in the middle... that one is incorrect, has a different offender ID, is the one that has his alias listed (which is actually a real person living in Monticello, with his own life going on), and also has him at the incorrect custody location of Carroll County Jail.

I do believe this is some sort of clerical error.

jmo
Yes, real person living in Indiana this is just my opinion but pretty much identical to the ruse KK pulled with the AS persona.

Wow.
So it seems like maybe LE originally arrived and asked to search and they refused and needed to get a search warrant?
bolding mine
Hmmm...
If they refused, the producing of a warrant would've negated that, correct ?

Sorry for the neighbors, what a terrible shock.
A crime committed by 'one of their own', so to speak.

Not that it would have made it any better if it was a perp from out of state --- but people like coworkers, neighbors, and the local businesses -- probably spoke with him now and then, and now they're second guessing every conversation !
I hope they're not beating themselves up too much over this.
:(

One doesn't normally go around thinking the man you talked to in town could be the killer everyone's looking for ?
It would be insulting to say this about a person people know and who don't even have a criminal record.
So, yeah, people who are decent -- normally think the best about a resident they've interacted with.

Even LE didn't have RA on their radar.
M00.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: This is my first post in ~3.5 years, so I apologize if I'm confusing facts with some rumor I read somewhere. Also, I apologize if I'm restating the obvious after following this case much that recently.

So, it has been confirmed that KAK was indeed communicating with Libby as recently as a day before her murder? I know I heard rumors that KAK confessed to waiting in his car nearby during the time of the murders? Even if only the former has been confirmed - it just seems so unlikely poor Libby encountered 2 degenerates in 24 hours. I am not sure how anyone could therefore conclude RA and KAK weren't connected somehow. My personal theory (which I posted on reddit) was that Abby accidentally overshared with KAK what her Monday plans were, but that she was not actually planning to meetup there and then on that day. I would expect a teen girl to get all dolled up if she was planning a first meet with a "cute" boy, and perhaps that would become something her sister or the police would offer, like - "She was giggly, and seemed dressed up extra nice... for a day of hiking."

I figured perhaps it was a planned abduction / sexual assault that went horribly awry. And, after accosting them and things not going as he envisioned - RA realized he had crossed a serious line and couldn't afford any witnesses. And then staged the scene to disguise the motive. I am guessing based on some of the stuff you mentioned here earlier (river search near KAK, etc.) that the FBI concluded that while KAK was a sick degenerate, he wasn't a killer nor the personality type expected at this type of crime. So, the authorities were willing to offer a sweetheart deal just to get the missing pieces of the puzzle.
We know for a fact there was communication, but we don't know for a fact there was a plan to meet. KAK allegedly told a friend of the girls that was the case, but denied it to law enforcement.

This Facebook post I shared earlier, does indicate that communication took place the night before. It also makes an interesting point about the timing of the discussion with Kline, and Allen's discovery.

Update: FOX59 filed a records request to get the probable cause unsealed to learn what led police to arrest Richard Allen. In my 29 years of journalism I can’t remember a case where the PC was sealed. We have access to PCs daily. We will let you know how the judge rules. 

What we know about Richard Allen, his arrest, etc.

50-year-old Richard Allen was arrested and taken into custody at the Indiana State Police’s post in West Lafayette on Wednesday, October 26.

He was formally charged with two counts of murder two days later on October 28.

Carroll County Circuit Court Judge Benjamin Diener was the presiding judge in the arraignment and ordered the probable cause affidavit sealed.

Sources with firsthand knowledge tell FOX59 Allen came forward as a witness in the earlier stages of the investigation.

Libby German's grandmother told me Allen made copies of photos of Libby for her funeral. He had different jobs at the local CVS including pharmacy tech.

According to his marriage license Allen married his wife at the age of 19, she was also 19.

Allen moved to Delphi from Mexico, Indiana in December of 2006. That’s when he bought the home he has lived in since.
The home is not far from where the bodies of Abby and Libby were found.

Russ McQuaid confirmed a search of Allen's home 2 weeks ago reportedly yielded evidence that led to his arrest. But he was also told Allen's name only resurfaced this summer about the time prosecutors in Miami County were in talks with Kegan Kline about a possible plea agreement. Kline was arrested on child *advertiser censored* charges. He was also communicating with Libby via a social media personae named Anthony Shots the night before she was murdered.

Russ McQuaid confirmed a search of Allen's home 2 weeks ago reportedly yielded evidence that led to his arrest. But he was also told Allen's name only resurfaced this summer about the time prosecutors in Miami County were in talks with Kegan Kline about a possible plea agreement. Kline was arrested on child *advertiser censored* charges. He was also communicating with Libby via a social media personae named Anthony Shots the night before she was murdered.
SBM
That’s all very telling:
  • A link between KK and Libby, and the night before the murders allegedly by RA.
  • And Allen’s name comes up in the same time frame within plea deal talks for KK.
ONLY SPECULATION: But logic would infer that KK’s communication with Libby was known to RA, and that KK knew this, and later used that information in his plea deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay