Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #156

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me wonder if someone local happened to see RA in a way that caused them to look twice and had a lightbulb moment.

For 17 years no one had any idea who the unabomber was until his manifesto was published that his brother recognized his writing.

Jmo
Could be. It really was amazing — the unabomber story. I’m not sure we will ever know the real story with RA. When news first broke, I thought maybe a CVS colleague found evidence of his deviance in the photo lab.
Then so many other possibilities crossed my mind and this thread. Even that Leazenby had the lightbulb moment while at CVS. I hope we do learn the truth, as long as it does not do harm to an innocent tipster.

First, Law enforcement in US can't compel anyone to answer questions, and second what would doing that achieve?

I'd like to know what was the break in the case that gave / led to PC for a search
I agree, but it’s the most basic question they could have asked. I’d like to know how he would have reacted.

If he went hours after the murder, where was he before he talked to the conservation officer? Also if he did so hours after then I think it’s likely he didn’t know the kids recorded him. Wonder what his reaction was when that news broke??
I’m just imagining him at CVS after that video came out and him freaking out every time a cop came in and just completely confused when he wasn’t arrested. Then the sketches came out and he probably had a good laugh and relaxed.

If he went hours after the murder, where was he before he talked to the conservation officer? Also if he did so hours after then I think it’s likely he didn’t know the kids recorded him. Wonder what his reaction was when that news broke??
He had to have been cleaning up somewhere.

The footage must have initially shocked him badly, <no link, rumor> In time, he learned it was not really endangering him.

Leaving aside the fact that most of us would be unable to commit such a crime, I also believe that I and most others could not live with the pressure of living and working in an area where everyone knows everyone and you’ve just had this catastrophic murder of 2 minors, and a massive investigation is on.

I would be unable to function under those circumstances <modsnip - no link that> How did he?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be because RA presented himself to a conservation officer instead of an Indiana State Police detective?
But that kinda furthers my point. He did present himself to a conservation officer but that's where the chain breaks down. The ISP had his statement and file somewhere because they eventually found him looking through old files with a fresh set of eyes which means that RA's file was in the possession of the ISP. That would lead me to believe the conservation officer gave the statement to ISP.

My question is - what did they do with it? Just read it and say OK cool and file it away? Per the report there was no follow-up done by ISP so if they got the file they must have thought this guy had nothing to give us and filed it away. My point too is - once they acquired the video and saw a stocky, middle-aged white male why would you not go through your files and find every individual that remotely matches that description that put themselves at the scene as RA did?

The footage must have initially shocked him badly, <modsnip - rumor> In time, he learned it was not really endangering him.

Leaving aside the fact that most of us would be unable to commit such a crime, I also believe that I and most others could not live with the pressure of living and working in an area where everyone knows everyone and you’ve just had this catastrophic murder of 2 minors, and a massive investigation is on.

I would be unable to function under those circumstances <modsnip - no link/rumor>. How did he?
Cleaning up somewhere, maybe his wife was about to return home from work so he asks her to fetch something from the shop for him to stall her return.. maybe he then went and burnt some evidence such as the blue jacket..buried some trophies. When his wife returns she asks him.if he's heard about the two young missing girls and he tells her he was out there that day but didn't see them but maybe he should go and let the police know he was out there that day, acting the concerned neighbour.

The footage must have initially shocked him badly, <modsnip - no link> In time, he learned it was not really endangering him.

I would be unable to function under those circumstances <modsnip - no link/rumor> How did he?
That's my theory now as well and the progression was:
  1. RA commits the murders. I'm not going back to how he found the girls on the bridge, any KK connection, etc. because that information is so murky right now I'm not speculating.
  2. He cleans whatever part(s) of himself and the murder scene he was going to clean.
  3. Once the girls are found, he inserts himself to the conservation officer and gives a statement. I believe he did this to give himself cover in case anyone else saw him on the bridge that day. Being from the area, perhaps he felt at least someone local may have seen him and/or would recognize him. I also think he did it to get a sense of where LE was at in the investigation and what they knew. I further think him talking to the CO vs. ISP was purposeful because he felt that a CO wouldn't ask as many questions and he could then 'check the box' that he voluntarily came forward which in his mind makes him less suspicious vs. a guy that they find later on who was trying to be evasive that they were on the MHB.
  4. RA talks with the CO before the video of BG is released or possibly even discovered. Once the video comes out, he sees himself and thinks "oh [insert curse word]", I'm sunk.
  5. RA becomes obsessive about the case which leads into what Carter said at the 'new direction' press conference in 2019. Very possible he starts using drugs/alcohol/etc. to cope. He 'wants to know what LE knows' (remember that quote?) but over time when police don't question him or seemingly don't know he exists, he relaxes.
  6. By 2020, MOO is RA believes he's gotten off scot-free. He works in Delphi at the pharmacy, goes to bars with his wife with the new picture of BG literally hanging on the wall and basically lives life as normal.
As far as how he's able to function, remember that psychopaths and other similar criminals are often devoid of empathy and extremely narcissistic so guilt doesn't enter the equation. The only real fear is getting caught and as noted above, if they didn't catch him by that time, RA likely felt he was literally going to get away with it.

But that kinda furthers my point. He did present himself to a conservation officer but that's where the chain breaks down. The ISP had his statement and file somewhere because they eventually found him looking through old files with a fresh set of eyes which means that RA's file was in the possession of the ISP. That would lead me to believe the conservation officer gave the statement to ISP.

My question is - what did they do with it? Just read it and say OK cool and file it away? Per the report there was no follow-up done by ISP so if they got the file they must have thought this guy had nothing to give us and filed it away. My point too is - once they acquired the video and saw a stocky, middle-aged white male why would you not go through your files and find every individual that remotely matches that description that put themselves at the scene as RA did?
It almost sounds as if they knew his name from CVS and thought it couldn’t possibly be him. But actually state police would not have that bias, so I don’t know what to think….

Cárter says “I can’t wait to tell the story, but today is not the day” in this interview after the pc. He seems excited to be able to share that story at some point in the future. Would he say that if the story is that they totally dropped the ball on investigating this guy from the get go? He seems too pleased to shared it if it’s the case they had the info and let it go for 5 years. IMO

Cárter says “I can’t wait to tell the story, but today is not the day” in this interview after the pc. He seems excited to be able to share that story at some point in the future. Would he say that if the story is that they totally dropped the ball on investigating this guy from the get go? He seems too pleased to shared it if it’s the case they had the info and let it go for 5 years. IMO
You’re right. I just can’t imagine what justifies nearly 6 years of freedom for the suspect?

"Allen, a 50-year-old resident of Delphi, went to the conservation officer right after the teens’ murders on Feb. 13, 2017, and said he was on the Monon High Bridge that afternoon but didn’t see the two girls, the source says."

BBM. So does this mean he went to the conservation officer on February 13th - which is technically right after the murders - or when the bodies were discovered on the 14th?

"Allen, a 50-year-old resident of Delphi, went to the conservation officer right after the teens’ murders on Feb. 13, 2017, and said he was on the Monon High Bridge that afternoon but didn’t see the two girls, the source says."

BBM. So does this mean he went to the conservation officer on February 13th - which is technically right after the murders - or when the bodies were discovered on the 14th?
I don't think it means literally, right after the girls were murdered, as in, the same day.
I think it means at some point immediately after it happened on the 13th (and the media began covering it), he went to the CO.

jmo

Well, well, colour me confused….VERY confused. I understand some here would rather that KAK not come into this conversation (Abby and Libby’s murder), but how can it not given what all he has thrown out there? As well, if I post this on KAK’s thread it would also infuse the girls’ murder into his designated thread. :rolleyes:

So, LE searched the Wabash River on the word of a known liar only to find absolutely nothing. Either the phone and weapon were washed up or down stream (which ever way it flows) OR it was an outright lie. Regardless if the truth or a lie, they were looking for a “weapon.” Whose weapon? If KAK hasn’t been charged with physically harming someone, whose weapon could he be referring to?

What concerns me is KAK making “deals” whilst RA has not had an attorney until today. Maybe I’m just very jaded having followed the Paul Bernardo/Karla Holmolka multiple murder case whereby she made a sweetheart of a deal and then LE watched the tapes and discovered what an evil demon she really was. It has been noted by some that Paul Bernardo, aka the Scarborough rapist, didn’t start killing until after they were married. Don’t want to forget Krystal Kenney, Patrick Frazee’s demon sidekick either, who got a deal of a lifetime!

I just don’t see RA and KAK not being connected, however loosely. Too coinky dinky for my taste. I may be completely wrong on this and if I am, hey, I like crow. Preferably baked!! :)

All MOO and more MOO!
You're not alone in your theory.

DC said that how LE got to this point is a fascinating story, and I'll admit I'm eager to hear it.

From yesterday's article:

Investigators believe Allen is the man on the bridge in the cellphone video and in sketches released by police, the source tells I-Team 8.

That's really the first confirmation that we've had for this. So while LE told us back in 2019 that the sketches were not of the same person, we now can assume they are. What I'm really curious about is why LE ever chose the strategy to change directions to a younger man. Where were they in their investigation that led to that, especially if it turns out that both sketches were of RA, as stated above. I do not believe RA was on their radar, so what was the evidence? DC also said he doesn't regret that strategy of the younger sketch release.

I truly believe the facts of how the investigation unfolded will be fascinating (although there will always be the heavy weight of a horrible tragedy behind it). But if both sketches are of RA, how does one have facial hair, and one does not? How are they so different? Time will tell.

Well, well, colour me confused….VERY confused. I understand some here would rather that KAK not come into this conversation (Abby and Libby’s murder), but how can it not given what all he has thrown out there? As well, if I post this on KAK’s thread it would also infuse the girls’ murder into his designated thread. :rolleyes:

So, LE searched the Wabash River on the word of a known liar only to find absolutely nothing. Either the phone and weapon were washed up or down stream (which ever way it flows) OR it was an outright lie. Regardless if the truth or a lie, they were looking for a “weapon.” Whose weapon? If KAK hasn’t been charged with physically harming someone, whose weapon could he be referring to?

What concerns me is KAK making “deals” whilst RA has not had an attorney until today. Maybe I’m just very jaded having followed the Paul Bernardo/Karla Holmolka multiple murder case whereby she made a sweetheart of a deal and then LE watched the tapes and discovered what an evil demon she really was. It has been noted by some that Paul Bernardo, aka the Scarborough rapist, didn’t start killing until after they were married. Don’t want to forget Krystal Kenney, Patrick Frazee’s demon sidekick either, who got a deal of a lifetime!

I just don’t see RA and KAK not being connected, however loosely. Too coinky dinky for my taste. I may be completely wrong on this and if I am, hey, I like crow. Preferably baked!! :)

All MOO and more MOO!
And I'll help you eat the crow. I'll bring the wine to help wash it down.

I don't think it means literally, right after the girls were murdered, as in, the same day.
I think it means at some point immediately after it happened on the 13th (and the media began covering it), he went to the CO.

jmo
I think so too. I originally somehow read it that he went to the conservation officer on the 13th and even posted a whole search party scenario...but that is probably not right!

jmo
Clever guy knew a conservation officer wouldn’t have the same training as police and would not likely think anything of his being there that afternoon. That’s awesome for the prosecution - he was coherent enough to tell a conservation officer he was there. That’s cold and calculating. Not out of mind insane.

DC said that how LE got to this point is a fascinating story, and I'll admit I'm eager to hear it.

From yesterday's article:

Investigators believe Allen is the man on the bridge in the cellphone video and in sketches released by police, the source tells I-Team 8.

That's really the first confirmation that we've had for this. So while LE told us back in 2019 that the sketches were not of the same person, we now can assume they are. What I'm really curious about is why LE ever chose the strategy to change directions to a younger man. Where were they in their investigation that led to that, especially if it turns out that both sketches were of RA, as stated above. I do not believe RA was on their radar, so what was the evidence? DC also said he doesn't regret that strategy of the younger sketch release.

I truly believe the facts of how the investigation unfolded will be fascinating (although there will always be the heavy weight of a horrible tragedy behind it). But if both sketches are of RA, how does one have facial hair, and one does not? How are they so different? Time will tell.
If RA is the source of the YBG sketch, maybe releasing  that sketch wasn't for public consumption at all but was a message to the killer.

JMO

If RA is the source of the YBG sketch, maybe releasing  that sketch wasn't for public consumption at all but was a message to the killer.

JMO
I don't think RA is the source of either sketch. From yesterday's article, it appears RA spoke with a CO on the 13th, while the girls were only considered missing, and that's it. He was then forgotten about. So I think that excludes him from any more LE interaction, especially the interview process of a witness for making a sketch. JMO.

Conservation Officers were involved in a later search for a 4 year old who went missing in 2019 in Delphi. As the girls were only considered missing the day and night of Feb 13th, no foul play suspected, it’s highly possible they were also heavily involved in the search of the river area, then RA made an appearance and spoke to one of them. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jseikel