Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #160

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ very interesting stuff … the part that stuck with me most was where the guest said recognizable extraction marks are more likely to come from long use / misuse than the manufacturer… in light of RA’s gun being 16 years old already at the time of the murders

I wonder how often RA went shooting…. this doesn’t sound like a hunting gun to me but idk much about guns so ??? if not hunting, I guess the only other non-emergency time he’d shoot it would be for sport at a range or at clay pigeons etc, right?

I’m more confused about how not one person, not the CO that interviewed him, not the town busy body, not the guy who served him at the local bar, not the mum who picks up a prescription every week, no friend, no family, no one thought that this pic resembled RA. No one called LE and said, ‘hey, that pic on the bridge kinda looks like my neighbour, my cousin, the guy that drinks at my bar, the guy at the CVS’ nothing? No one? Moo
IDK if one notices in the video clip his hair is sort of helping keep his face as not the first place to look at its a bit of a distraction from his face. Its longer than what it is now obviously. But I wonder if he got it cut shortly afterward from when the girls were killed. It could also help to explain why people missed him.

Murder Sheet – A Defence Perspective on the Bullet
Murder Sheet

A: = Attorney (verified and speaking anonymously)

[Much of this is verbatim but I’ve paraphrased parts. Unnecessary words and phrases have been omitted]

PART 4

KG: I’m curious. What sort of things should people be looking for to happen next?
A: Oh. Well, I don’t practise Indiana law so I don’t know procedurally exactly all the next steps but I would be surprised if we get to the point where there is a trial – I doubt it’s going to be March, but whenever it is – we’re not going to get to a point where there is a trial and another suspect has not been named publicly. That would be something that has to happen at some point. In my opinion, I think it has to happen. Even if a deal has been struck with that other person, there’s going to have to be some kind of acknowledgement, whether it’s in the form of a press conference or a press release, or more likely a filing of some sort in the public record, I think that has to happen in order for it to kind of be cleared up a little bit – the confusion regarding what happened in this case and how we got to the point where a previously unknown person has been charged and no connection to any of the other players that have been mentioned so far publicly. You know, there’s got to be some connection made and that’s what – you know, that’s going to be the next big step in my opinion. That’s going to be the next big action that happens in this case.

AC: Moving on to you experience with firearms, we wanted to ask you – so RA is said to have a Sig Sauer P226. Do you know anything about that gun or what it conjures to mind. We don’t own guns and don’t really know them that well so we’re curious about what someone who does have to say about that kind of gun.
A: He doesn’t have enough experience with that particular brand to know anything in particular. He says it’s a fairly commonly sold handgun and just the sort of thing that somebody who wants to buy a firearm for self-protection or protection of the home would buy. It’s not like some sort of automatic weapon that would be prohibited by law or an uzi type thing or something you’re going to see in a movie and say, “Oh wow. That’s an interesting gun”. It’s just a standard handgun basically. It’s not the most common handgun but it’s not rare.

AC: As you’re observing this, have any other things stood out to you about either what the prosecution or the defence is doing so far that seems noteworthy or worth discussing?
A: The defence side is strongly asserting actual innocence so far and that’s what I would be doing. Generally I don’t give interviews but I think they’re in the position where they kind of have to. It’s pretty noteworthy to me that they are as strongly taking that position as they are and that Rick’s family seems to be behind him. That’s very interesting.

KG: Is that unusual for a defendant’s family to stand behind him in a case like this?
A: In cases that I handle it’s not terribly unusual but this is not a normal case. This is a once in a career kind of case. I don’t think I’ve had anything like this personally. The fact that his defence lawyers mentioned that his wife is behind him means that it’s probably true. I don’t think she was – you know, (ui) was there in court – that’s why she’s there or not, but in a case like this – so high profile and it’s such an abhorrent nature, the facts that are alleged – it is somewhat surprising that there’s a mention that she’s supporting him. I would suspect (inaudible) the court to come for a family member is to not be involved terribly in the defence but not necessarily being – you know, for example, (ui) giving him some money. … (Inaudible) That’s if the reports are to be believed. That’s the sort of thing that I would – doing it quietly. You know, that’s what I would expect, for them to be – for the defence lawyers to feel confident enough (ui) to mention it. To me, it’s no (ui). And what does it mean exactly, I don’t know, but it’s no (ui).

AC: You mentioned the defence asserting actual innocence. I’m sure for a lot of lay people that might just seem like par for the course for a defence attorney to do kind of thing. “No, my guy’s innocent. He didn’t do anything wrong”. But I’m curious, you know, in your experience, what makes that somewhat unusual?
A: Well, a lot of times there are defences that kind of suggest themselves from the facts. You know, you may have a self defence claim or you may have an accident claim. You know, there are all kinds of legal defences that you can raise, but to say actual innocence right from the start, you’re kind of staking a claim. You better have some facts to make stick or else that’s gonna look – you’re gonna look foolish later on. You know, that’s why to me the better course of action in my cases is always to say “no comment”. But you know, these guys are in the position where they’re having to respond, and the fact that went out on that limb and said “actual innocence” – not those words exactly but the fact that they (ui) that as a defence is a big statement; it’s a big claim. And either they know something we don’t or they’re just trying to bluff so that they can, you know, get the public reaction to quieten down a little bit and actually consider whether maybe Rick is not guilty.

AC: And I would imagine – not to put words in your mouth – I imagine that is important in such a high profile case to kind of, you know, for the defence to at least make overtures to the public. Is that fair to say?
A: Oh yeah. It’s huge. In order to have a fair trial you have to have people who will consider whether – and who will say – and actually consider – whether he is not guilty. And so you’ve got to put that out there, that just because you – just because there’s an arrest and you’ve come through all this excitement doesn’t mean that our client is guilty or not. Press releases and press conferences do not make a prosecution – it’s evidence. And so I think that that is a very big step to take to protect your client, and I’ve done it on multiple occasions after trials or after guilty pleas, I go to the press and say that my client is not the monster that he was made out to be and you can see it based on the evidence that came out. This was a bad situation. And that’s more of an active cleaning up my client’s reputation a little bit, but if I were placed in their position, I would want to put my defence out there as early as I can and still leave some flexibility and the problem with the actual innocence theory is there’s not a lot of flexibility for that.

AC: Right. You either did it or you didn’t do it, and yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
A: Yeah.

AC: And it seems like almost setting up another hurdle for themselves to be kind of proving that he’s actually innocent rather than just creating reasonable doubt.
A: Exactly. Exactly.

AC: Well listen, this has been incredibly insightful and helpful to us for understanding this bullet evidence, but just also kind of looking at things from a strategic perspective overall. You were self-deprecating but you are an expert obviously and we really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to the MS podcast on the tool mark evidence, I think the most interesting comment was that the prosecution has used this to get the PCA through without revealing their hand (e.g DNA, digital). This may also relate to their efforts to determine any other person's involvement, because they've been able to keep stuff out of the PCA. So it is all about what is not in there.

The reason this tactic works, is at this stage, the evidence is not directly challenged.

But that brings us to the oddity of the accused being 'happy' to sit in jail for months based on 'weak evidence'.

if the accused is innocent, then he knows the tool mark evidence is nonsense and no other evidence can have been found. So why is he not making an urgent bail application on this weak sauce?

The other interesting comment, is that before we get too far, LE need to drop charges to confirm their final version of whom else might have been 'involved'. It can't go to trial with that hanging out there.
These are the two things that stuck with me the most, too. I wonder if we'll start seeing motions of continuance by the prosecution....

Right, it was a .40 S&W... but was it a Sig Sauer?

The reason I ask is because Sig ammo is not all that common compared to say, Winchester or Federal or Hornady or Remington or Speer or CCI or PMC.

opplanet-sig-sauer-40s-w-165gr-elite-v-crown-jhp-20-e40sw1-20.jpg
Nice point.

Sig started producing ammo a few years before the murders, moving the production to a state of the art facility in 2017.

^ very interesting stuff … the part that stuck with me most was where the guest said recognizable extraction marks are more likely to come from long use / misuse than the manufacturer… in light of RA’s gun being 16 years old already at the time of the murders

I wonder how often RA went shooting…. this doesn’t sound like a hunting gun to me but idk much about guns so ??? if not hunting, I guess the only other non-emergency time he’d shoot it would be for sport at a range or at clay pigeons etc, right?
A .40 S&W is not a hunting gun. It's a personal protection firearm. It would not be unusual for a 16 year old gun like this to have had relatively few rounds fired through it. You would not shoot clay pigeons with this, just paper targets.

JMO but the extractor marks angle from the prosecution is pretty weak.

The missing persons report was covered by the media the evening of the 13th.

If this is accurate, RA didn’t speak with the conservation office until the next day, Feb 14th, “right after” the bodies were found but I haven’t noticed LE nor RA’s defense team to be quoted anywhere as the official source of this information.

The first paragraph is worded in such a way it could be misconstrued RA was in the area on Feb 14th but it clearly was the day “he admitted to investigators” given the timeline as we know it.

BBM

“According to i-Team 8, Allen admitted to investigators that he was “in the area” of the Monon High Bridge on February 14, 2017, the day that Libby and Abby were found dead. The girls had an outing on the bridge the day prior but never returned home. Police found their bodies the following day.

Allen reportedly told a conservation officer right after the bodies were found about his whereabouts. Yet, investigators reportedly “forgot about the statement,” i-Team 8 reports, until this year, when they arrested Allen and charged him with murder.”
"Right after" is one of those phrases that reminds me of "a car that resembles". Can someone quantify right after, please? TIA

A .40 S&W is not a hunting gun. It's a personal protection firearm. It would not be unusual for a 16 year old gun like this to have had relatively few rounds fired through it. You would not shoot clay pigeons with this, just paper targets.

JMO but the extractor marks angle from the prosecution is pretty weak.
Agree on all points.

As others have noted, the charges for victim 1 and victim 2 specifically state RA murdered them in the course of the kidnapping.
The PCA is screwed up so many ways I lost count. Who wrote it again? And who signed off on it? MOO Just more of the same.

The language of the PCA and the charges mesh about as well as the first sketch and the second. Whoever writes the book about this case should just title it "Cognitive Dissonance" -and for so many reasons.

A .40 S&W is not a hunting gun. It's a personal protection firearm. It would not be unusual for a 16 year old gun like this to have had relatively few rounds fired through it.
True, and it is a rather unpleasant round to fire, generally speaking. That is the reason so many agencies returned to 9mm.

MOO officers don’t make tips they make reports through channels. The tip thing goes with “misfiled”
and is an attempt to minimize responsibility.

I can’t imagine the complexity involved in dealing with the massive volume of tips, 70,000 at last count. Whether the conservation officer submitted a report or sent it as a tip, if information from every source wasn’t input into the FBI’s automated program referred to as “Pyramid”, then the system obviously wouldn’t be effective in identifying possible suspects.

BBM
“Although it has been three long years since that warm February day, Indiana State Police say they still receive new tips about Abby and Libby’s murders almost daily.

Every one of those tips and potential leads that are called in and emailed to the Delphi tip lines — more than 40,000 so far — is vetted by investigators.

Every tip received is entered into an FBI system called “Pyramid.” That system stores information like names, descriptions and motives so it can be cross-referenced with other tips locally and across the country to find any possible connections.…”

I can’t imagine the complexity involved in dealing with the massive volume of tips, 70,000 at last count. Whether the conservation officer submitted a report or sent it as a tip, if information from every source wasn’t input into the FBI’s automated program referred to as “Pyramid”, then the system obviously wouldn’t be effective in identifying possible suspects.

BBM
“Although it has been three long years since that warm February day, Indiana State Police say they still receive new tips about Abby and Libby’s murders almost daily.

Every one of those tips and potential leads that are called in and emailed to the Delphi tip lines — more than 40,000 so far — is vetted by investigators.

Every tip received is entered into an FBI system called “Pyramid.” That system stores information like names, descriptions and motives so it can be cross-referenced with other tips locally and across the country to find any possible connections.…”
Interesting!!

These are the two things that stuck with me the most, too. I wonder if we'll start seeing motions of continuance by the prosecution....
This is all MOO. I don't mean the following in an argumentative way. I'm genuinely asking for help to see the strategy. The asking for help primarily comes toward the end. TIA

He has requested bail. He has proclaimed his innocence, and he's not happy to waiting around and incarcerated. The judge hasn't ruled on bail yet, AFAIK. Further, she won't until next year; although, the bail hearing already took place. (That was new to me, but I am a complete novice. Perhaps that happens often.)

If he didn't waive his right to a speedy trial, the prosecution can ask for continuances until the cows come home, but that won't pause the clock. At a certain point, and pretty soon if the trial is slated for early next year, the prosecution is going to have to turn over in discovery all of their evidence, evidence that some contend is of the slam dunk variety.

It really does the state no favors to "bury the lead," as it were, and not disclose evidence in the PCA, if their evidence really is quite strong. What family wants to sit through that trial? I don't want to know the details, and I'm not friends or family of the victims. The state will spend an absolute fortune, both during the trial and for all of the D.P. appeals. Further, if the state is trying to sniff out any further perpetrators, why not show their strong, unequivocal evidence to the defense via the PCA and scope of the warrant, and force RA to give up conspirators in exchange for Life or LWOP, however Indiana words that? I suspect the families would be fine with that. That way they and the town can begin to heal. And the families can continue to focus upon A&L's legacies and the philanthropic works that they are doing in their names.

Am I missing something? Doesn't that seem to be the better part of wisdom, if their evidence is strong and LE is still investigating others?

As it stands now, between the sketches and the ongoing investigation, the state has supplied the defense attorney with one or more alternate theories for who could be the doer.

Can someone please help me understand this strategy? TIA

AMOO

BBM

However, the FBI came out immediately to say that all of their procedures were followed.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere else and I've looked a few times. However, the way this is worded isn't real clear to me. It just sounds like the wrong info was accidentally reported in my opinion.

Allen admitted to investigators that he was “in the area” of the Monon High Bridge on February 14, 2017, the day that Libby and Abby were found dead.

For me I'm thinking that date could be a typo, or misunderstanding on the part of the reporter (who likely don't pay as close attention to details as Websleuthers do), and it should instead read Feb 13th. That makes more sense to me. Espeically since he's admitted to being on the bridge on 2/13 in the timeframe the murders were committed. Otherwise, to have made it crystal clear that the interview was on 2/14 I'd have said it this way:

"Allen admitted to investigators on February 14, 2017 that he was “in the area” of the Monon High Bridge, the day Libby and Abby went missing". (That's IF he interviewed on the 14th)

It's not the first time I've seen articles botch the details so wouldn't be at all surprised that it could have happened here. Otherwise, you'd think the date of the interview would be able to be found in more MSM, yet it's not. That makes me think it's because the date hasn't been released to the public or to MSM. MOO
JMO.

I’ve posted about why I think RA would have come forward early — late Feb 13 or early Feb 14 — and am curious as to whether we’ll ever find out.

The PC Affadavit provided dates for the two Oct 22 RA interviews, but did not date the 2017 RA Narrative (other than by year).

I wonder if there was a delay between the report being taken by the state CO and being filed?

The RA defense team in their press statement referred to the 2017 RA narrative as proof of an RA’s consciousness of innocence vs challenging the narrative.

LE likely would have had RA confirm his 2017 RA narrative during the Oct 22 interviews, so contesting the 2017 RA Narrative would have been a tough hill to climb.

JMO.

I’m more confused about how not one person, not the CO that interviewed him, not the town busy body, not the guy who served him at the local bar, not the mum who picks up a prescription every week, no friend, no family, no one thought that this pic resembled RA. No one called LE and said, ‘hey, that pic on the bridge kinda looks like my neighbour, my cousin, the guy that drinks at my bar, the guy at the CVS’ nothing? No one? Moo

I think people were looking for a monster, a stranger.

We quickly believed it was suspected BGs because they were gross.

RA wasn’t “himself” that day, imo, rendering him less recognizable.

I’d just like to know who all he told he was at the trails on the 13th during the time frame of concern. No one except for the CO I bet.

When RA was sitting at the bar in front of the picture of BG did he go on to the other patrons like:
“I am just so upset after all I was there that very day at the very time the girls were. I was actually out on the bridge too. Working in customer service at CVS I’m attentive to folks but I never saw the girls or BG. The Sheriff is my customer and every time I say to him if only when I was there at that same time I had seen something. L’s grandma I gave her free flyers because I told her I’m sad I was there when the girls were but never saw them or BG”?

Did RA tell his wife
“well I went to the trails by way of a roundabout route to watch the stock ticker while I walked along like any normal person would do and you know how I like to watch fish from the height of the bridge so of course I was on it it’s just a wonder I didn’t see them at all as it was about the same time from what I hear.”?

No, I think he was quiet about being there in case the information would lead someone to putting it together.

Maybe there is a tip about him buried in the mass of tips.

All imo

Allen is asking Judge Frances Gull, a special judge assigned to the case from Allen County, to hold a private hearing on his request, closed to the public and prosecution.

Allen says a public hearing on his request would require his defense team to reveal to the public their theory of his defense, forcing him and his attorneys to limit the information to the public.

Very concerning to me. There is already a gag order - albeit temporary until ruled on again. I'm opposed to the public being left out. If it's true they want the prosecution excluded, under what system of law is that acceptable. Surely not in the U.S.!

I hope Judge Gall will deny all closed proceedings at her next opportunity. The public has a recognized legal interest that is jeopardized when any party on any side prefers to operate in the dark. Let the sun shine on all actions.

We are now at the stage where trusting the process will diminish if secrecy is posed. A gag order of any kind is secrecy. The perp hid his evil doings a long time. Let them all be considered publicly now.

If RA goes free after court actions and decisions are kept secret, there will be cries of injustice. But the public really won't be able to know ANYTHING except what they are told by those with a vested interest in protecting their actions. I don't like it.

JMHO

However, the FBI came out immediately to say that all of their procedures were followed.

That’s right, so we don’t know how the information breakdown occurred. But as the FBI was responsible for data input and operation of their system and were also involved with the Delphi taskforce, surely they know the reason RA was overlooked for so long.

Last edited:
This is all MOO. I don't mean the following in an argumentative way. I'm genuinely asking for help to see the strategy. The asking for help primarily comes toward the end. TIA

He has requested bail. He has proclaimed his innocence, and he's not happy to waiting around and incarcerated. The judge hasn't ruled on bail yet, AFAIK. Further, she won't until next year; although, the bail hearing already took place. (That was new to me, but I am a complete novice. Perhaps that happens often.)

If he didn't waive his right to a speedy trial, the prosecution can ask for continuances until the cows come home, but that won't pause the clock. At a certain point, and pretty soon if the trial is slated for early next year, the prosecution is going to have to turn over in discovery all of their evidence, evidence that some contend is of the slam dunk variety.

It really does the state no favors to "bury the lead," as it were, and not disclose evidence in the PCA, if their evidence really is quite strong. What family wants to sit through that trial? I don't want to know the details, and I'm not friends or family of the victims. The state will spend an absolute fortune, both during the trial and for all of the D.P. appeals. Further, if the state is trying to sniff out any further perpetrators, why not show their strong, unequivocal evidence to the defense via the PCA and scope of the warrant, and force RA to give up conspirators in exchange for Life or LWOP, however Indiana words that? I suspect the families would be fine with that. That way they and the town can begin to heal. And the families can continue to focus upon A&L's legacies and the philanthropic works that they are doing in their names.

Am I missing something? Doesn't that seem to be the better part of wisdom, if their evidence is strong and LE is still investigating others?

As it stands now, between the sketches and the ongoing investigation, the state has supplied the defense attorney with one or more alternate theories for who could be the doer.

Can someone please help me understand this strategy? TIA

AMOO

IMO & could be totally wrong… my best guess, strategic goal rn is to avoid / minimize humiliation & potential vilification in public response to inside story
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member